Prince Joachim to Marry Marie Cavallier: October 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was yesterday very surprised when they announced the engagement but I was very happy with that news. One thing is sure: Marie and Mary will be compared :flowers: before the annoucement of the engagement I have read many, many articles in which they have been compared. I think it's inevitable because they are very similar: their look, style, hair colour, both were businesswomen, both don't come from Denmark and have the same name (it's still the same name although Mary is the English version and Marie is French version). Of course they are different persons, but those comparisons are inevitable.

I've read some months ago about one thing: When Mary cut her hair, everybody was quite surprised. Did she want to look more serious? I don't think so. I've read that she did it to be not so similar to Marie and that she's afraid of losing her uniqueness. I also have read that she didn't like her new cut. And that christening when Mary, Frederik and Christian were present, Joachim and Marie too. I don't know whose christening was it, I think it was the christening of the daughter of Mary's and Frederik's friends. Do you remember Mary's hair? She has never done her hair like that. She looked beautiful but I think she did it to look a little bit different from Marie. I think Mary is really afraid, because she's not the only one anymore. But I think she is still the leader because SHE will be the queen and she gave birth to a future king. That's why she wins, in her opinion I think.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with this news. Congratulations for the couple! One question
what language does they speak with each other? I can't believe it s English because her English seems quite poor.

Nouvelle
I've read some months ago about one thing: When Mary cut her hair, everybody was quite surprised. Did she want to look more serious? I don't think so. I've read that she did it to be not so similar to Marie and that she's afraid of losing her uniqueness. I also have read that she didn't like her new cut. And that christening when Mary, Frederik and Christian were present, Joachim and Marie too. I don't know whose christening was it, I think it was the christening of the daughter of Mary's and Frederik's friends. Do you remember Mary's hair? She has never done her hair like that. She looked beautiful but I think she did it to look a little bit different from Marie. I think Mary is really afraid, because she's not the only one anymore. But I think she is still the leader because SHE will be the queen and she gave birth to a future king. That's why she wins, in her opinion I think.
Mary never was the only princess in DK.
And she is a woman who chose an attractive woman like Amber Petty as her bridesmaid and an attractive woman like Caroline Heering as her lady-in-waiting and who was not afraid of being compared to the "icon" Alexandra.

Mary had many different hair styles in the last years.
And if she cut it to look different than Marie then why is her hair long again now at the time of the engagement announcement?

Last edited:
Regarding how low key and private this engagement was
(no balcony scene, no dinner, no pictures with all members of family, just an announcement and a short press conference)
I am wondering how the wedding will be.
Somehow I doubt it's going to be a really big royal event.

I just watched the U Tube video and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how calm and poised Marie was.Her english is excellent and this is already a big plus for her to speak more than one language.I think she will be a very good addition to the family and I think she will bring some relief for Mary in terms of taking on some of the responsabilities of the family.As well I think it might be nice for Prince Henrik to have a fellow countrywoman in court.

Comes zhe wedding in TV?????:)

oh sorry the wedding in TV?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comes zhe wedding in TV?????:)

Depends if TV pics are allowed. As it is the second marriage for the royal partner they probably like to keep it low key. But if there will be a TV coverage you can be sure that they will be broadcasted from german TV.

I am sure even if it is a more private wedding Danish TV will broadcast it
(just like they did with the more private baptism of Isabella).
Whether international TV stations will broadcast it is not known yet.

I'm very happy with this news. Congratulations for the couple! One question
what language does they speak with each other? I can't believe it s English because her English seems quite poor.

I would suppose their Lingua Franca is French, since Joachim's dad has French as his first language, it is only natural that his sons also learnt it. Eventually, I suppose Marie will be learning Danish (and perhaps try to avoid the critique that her soon-to-be father-in-law got?!?).

I'm not a fan of the ring.. The combination of the metal and the stones are just.. Not too pretty.. I prefer Mary's..

The ring is gaudy and has a meaning, it will always remind Marie that she is accepted as she is and as she was in her new homecountry. I guess being half-french himself, Joachim has an instinctive understanding of how it is to leave one's country and settle in a new one - after all, he helped another wife coping with her first steps into Danish culture and I believe he has not forgotten how difficult this sometimes can be. Especially as Marie probably won't bring her parents with her like Alexandra and Mary could do. But I think it's a great help that the Royal Household has definately some French features and that both her parent-in-law are francophiles! Probably a lot of servants at court are able to speak English and French besides Danish, so she will feel at home from the beginning. As for coping with Frederick: Marie is the youngest sibling of five and has only older brothers, so I guess she is well versed in all kinds of male entertainment and is able to be a good hostess for her brother-in-law and their friends - the wifes of that circle will welcome her anyway...

Perhaps they waited to announce their engagement until after the Queen announced it to the Government Council; just like MandF's. Anyway, I look forward to lots of interesting scenes and, of course the wedding. Can anyone tell me how to access Danish Royal Watchers so I can see what they can add?

Danish Royal Watchers

i was hoping for some family photos from the dinner last night:ermm: oh well and btw i don't like the ring either. it's too wide/big and isn't flattering to her hand. i have one (that was my mothers) alot like this and i don't wear it because it makes my hand look wide and fat and is very uncomfortable, i'm wondering what kind of wedding band will look good and be comfortable.

I was hoping for some pictures of the last night dinner too! Maybe the arriving of the cars at Fredensborg.

Congrats to Marie and Joachim! Question though, since Alexandra's parents were living with Joachim, would they move in with her, or leave the country altogether?

Congrats to Marie and Joachim! Question though, since Alexandra's parents were living with Joachim, would they move in with her, or leave the country altogether?

Joachim said at the press conference that they had talked to him about leaving the country. I don't think they'll move in with Alexandra. Maybe they'll find a place near family someplace else - they do have other daughters than Alexandra, and as Christa is from Austria, they also have family there.

Sorry, but in my little ole humble opinion, but that ring really overwhelms her hand. The gems look like they've been pasted on.

With the resources these folks have on hand, Joachim could have gotten her a much more lovely ring and still had all the wonderful symbolism. But it's what they (not all of us) think.

I liked how Marie said she feels honored. I also liked what she said about having children how she hopes they will be "lucky enough" to have kids. I just thought those were interesting choices in words that demonstrate that she is likely quite down to earth.

It's shocking to me how so many negative vibes are already coming out in this thread and we have only known about the engagment for about 24 hours now. This is the first royal relationship that I have been able to watch blossom and grow, since I was turned on to royalty well after other royal marriages took place. So I am very much looking forward to watching for all the upcoming celebration. I think it will be rather low key from the standpoint of international coverage. But I have a feeling its still going to be quite a big deal in Denmark. I would still expect to see some foreign royalty. However, I don't know if we can get too caught up in comparing the celebrations because Joachim is not the crown prince and it is his second marriage. However, it is Marie's first marriage so I hope she gets the proper celebration for entering a new life as a princess.

I wish them happiness and a long marriage. I have to say the ring in my opinion is not very attractive it is too wide to me. I guess I just like engagement rings that look like engagement rings.:)

I like the ring - it would look smashing with a thin discreet gold wedding band with subtle inlays.

However, it does look a bit big for her hand - it does make her fingers look stubby.

If they marry on April 26 2008, I can celebrate two events. My 26th birthday and the wedding of HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier. I keep my fingers crossed that this date is the wedding date.

There is no information about how wedding is going to take form neither where it is going to take place or whom are going to be invited.

I think it is wonderful news that Joachim and Marie are engaged. I am sure she will be a great princess of Denmark.

The danish minister of education told the DR1 news that the Queen had said, that Marie's name is going to be pronounsed with the danish promounciation.

In that way the names of Marie and Mary will sound very different.

What would the Danish pronunciation be? Similar to French or closer to "Maria"?

What would the Danish pronunciation be? Similar to French or closer to "Maria"?
In the beginning of the engagement interview a Danish reporter told Marie how her name is pronounced in Danish.
IMO it sounds very similar to the French pronunciation of Marie.

dress "rules"

Horribe suit! She needs to make a extreme makeover to look like a Princess. White outfit with black shoes!! She will change for sure!

At least the shoes are darker than the hemline. Some big store (not sure if it was Saks, Lord and Taylor, or some other huge chain that SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER) actually held a fashion show in Atlanta and didn't understand the outcry over having one model with a black and white dress, black stockings and WHITE shoes. It even made the local paper with all the ladies commenting how tacky but the stylist didn't understand why anyone would care, no one commented in other cities. One of the big fashion "rules" here that still seems to linger is no white shoes after Labor Day (for international readers that is the first Monday in September) or before Easter (late March or early April). To younger people it doesn't matter as much but for my age group and up it still irritating. My great-aunt (lived to her 90s) would frequently point this out. Then again, she also held to the rule that black is never appropriate for a wedding and black bridesmaids' dresses? Perish the thought! My cousin selected black bridesmaids' dresses and that's all I heard throughout the wedding--"black dresses, who would pick black dresses? This is not a funeral."

I'm sure that Marie's fashion sense will grow stronger as she gets confidence in her new role. Even Diana had missteps at first, when someone gets thrust into the spotlight details that may not have mattered before suddenly seem huge.

Congratulations to the couple! I know I would never want to take on this kind of challenging role, more power to her!:flowers:

How old is Marie?
BTW I think that she's lovely! They look very happy and in love. I wish them luck!

How old is Marie?
BTW I think that she's lovely! They look very happy and in love. I wish them luck!

Marie was born in Paris on 6th February, 1976. She's 31 years old.

Back
Top Bottom