The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Courtier

I am sure even if it is a more private wedding Danish TV will broadcast it
(just like they did with the more private baptism of Isabella).
Whether international TV stations will broadcast it is not known yet.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva-Britt View Post
I'm very happy with this news. Congratulations for the couple! One question
what language does they speak with each other? I can't believe it s English because her English seems quite poor.
I would suppose their Lingua Franca is French, since Joachim's dad has French as his first language, it is only natural that his sons also learnt it. Eventually, I suppose Marie will be learning Danish (and perhaps try to avoid the critique that her soon-to-be father-in-law got?!?).

Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suPeRgiRL! View Post
I'm not a fan of the ring.. The combination of the metal and the stones are just.. Not too pretty.. I prefer Mary's..
The ring is gaudy and has a meaning, it will always remind Marie that she is accepted as she is and as she was in her new homecountry. I guess being half-french himself, Joachim has an instinctive understanding of how it is to leave one's country and settle in a new one - after all, he helped another wife coping with her first steps into Danish culture and I believe he has not forgotten how difficult this sometimes can be. Especially as Marie probably won't bring her parents with her like Alexandra and Mary could do. But I think it's a great help that the Royal Household has definately some French features and that both her parent-in-law are francophiles! Probably a lot of servants at court are able to speak English and French besides Danish, so she will feel at home from the beginning. As for coping with Frederick: Marie is the youngest sibling of five and has only older brothers, so I guess she is well versed in all kinds of male entertainment and is able to be a good hostess for her brother-in-law and their friends - the wifes of that circle will welcome her anyway...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currier View Post
Perhaps they waited to announce their engagement until after the Queen announced it to the Government Council; just like MandF's. Anyway, I look forward to lots of interesting scenes and, of course the wedding. Can anyone tell me how to access Danish Royal Watchers so I can see what they can add?
Danish Royal Watchers

i was hoping for some family photos from the dinner last night oh well and btw i don't like the ring either. it's too wide/big and isn't flattering to her hand. i have one (that was my mothers) alot like this and i don't wear it because it makes my hand look wide and fat and is very uncomfortable, i'm wondering what kind of wedding band will look good and be comfortable.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtenstein View Post
Wow! Marie's english accent is really perfect. How many language does she speak besides french?
She speaks italien, spanish, french and english.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was hoping for some pictures of the last night dinner too! Maybe the arriving of the cars at Fredensborg.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

Congrats to Marie and Joachim! Question though, since Alexandra's parents were living with Joachim, would they move in with her, or leave the country altogether?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlusBelle View Post
Congrats to Marie and Joachim! Question though, since Alexandra's parents were living with Joachim, would they move in with her, or leave the country altogether?
Joachim said at the press conference that they had talked to him about leaving the country. I don't think they'll move in with Alexandra. Maybe they'll find a place near family someplace else - they do have other daughters than Alexandra, and as Christa is from Austria, they also have family there.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Nobility

Sorry, but in my little ole humble opinion, but that ring really overwhelms her hand. The gems look like they've been pasted on.

With the resources these folks have on hand, Joachim could have gotten her a much more lovely ring and still had all the wonderful symbolism. But it's what they (not all of us) think.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Serene Highness

I liked how Marie said she feels honored. I also liked what she said about having children how she hopes they will be "lucky enough" to have kids. I just thought those were interesting choices in words that demonstrate that she is likely quite down to earth.

It's shocking to me how so many negative vibes are already coming out in this thread and we have only known about the engagment for about 24 hours now. This is the first royal relationship that I have been able to watch blossom and grow, since I was turned on to royalty well after other royal marriages took place. So I am very much looking forward to watching for all the upcoming celebration. I think it will be rather low key from the standpoint of international coverage. But I have a feeling its still going to be quite a big deal in Denmark. I would still expect to see some foreign royalty. However, I don't know if we can get too caught up in comparing the celebrations because Joachim is not the crown prince and it is his second marriage. However, it is Marie's first marriage so I hope she gets the proper celebration for entering a new life as a princess.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Nobility

I wish them happiness and a long marriage. I have to say the ring in my opinion is not very attractive it is too wide to me. I guess I just like engagement rings that look like engagement rings.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I like the ring - it would look smashing with a thin discreet gold wedding band with subtle inlays.

However, it does look a bit big for her hand - it does make her fingers look stubby.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

If they marry on April 26 2008, I can celebrate two events. My 26th birthday and the wedding of HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier. I keep my fingers crossed that this date is the wedding date.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
There is no information about how wedding is going to take form neither where it is going to take place or whom are going to be invited.

I think it is wonderful news that Joachim and Marie are engaged. I am sure she will be a great princess of Denmark.

The danish minister of education told the DR1 news that the Queen had said, that Marie's name is going to be pronounsed with the danish promounciation.

In that way the names of Marie and Mary will sound very different.
What would the Danish pronunciation be? Similar to French or closer to "Maria"?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picmajik View Post
What would the Danish pronunciation be? Similar to French or closer to "Maria"?
In the beginning of the engagement interview a Danish reporter told Marie how her name is pronounced in Danish.
IMO it sounds very similar to the French pronunciation of Marie.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Aristocracy

Smile dress "rules"

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
Horribe suit! She needs to make a extreme makeover to look like a Princess. White outfit with black shoes!! She will change for sure!
At least the shoes are darker than the hemline. Some big store (not sure if it was Saks, Lord and Taylor, or some other huge chain that SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER) actually held a fashion show in Atlanta and didn't understand the outcry over having one model with a black and white dress, black stockings and WHITE shoes. It even made the local paper with all the ladies commenting how tacky but the stylist didn't understand why anyone would care, no one commented in other cities. One of the big fashion "rules" here that still seems to linger is no white shoes after Labor Day (for international readers that is the first Monday in September) or before Easter (late March or early April). To younger people it doesn't matter as much but for my age group and up it still irritating. My great-aunt (lived to her 90s) would frequently point this out. Then again, she also held to the rule that black is never appropriate for a wedding and black bridesmaids' dresses? Perish the thought! My cousin selected black bridesmaids' dresses and that's all I heard throughout the wedding--"black dresses, who would pick black dresses? This is not a funeral."

I'm sure that Marie's fashion sense will grow stronger as she gets confidence in her new role. Even Diana had missteps at first, when someone gets thrust into the spotlight details that may not have mattered before suddenly seem huge.

Congratulations to the couple! I know I would never want to take on this kind of challenging role, more power to her!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Aristocracy

How old is Marie?
BTW I think that she's lovely! They look very happy and in love. I wish them luck!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Sorry if this has been posted before but Alexandra has made a statement about the engagement: She said:

"Of course you want a great stepmother for your children and she is just that. I have seen how she is with my boys. I am very happy for them." She also said it was Joachim who told her he was to be engaged.

(from The Unofficial Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Denmark Countess of Frederiksborg Website)

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal pauper View Post
How old is Marie?
BTW I think that she's lovely! They look very happy and in love. I wish them luck!
Marie was born in Paris on 6th February, 1976. She's 31 years old.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Who of you will attend the wedding?

Tags
joachim, marie, marie cavallier, prince joachim, princess marie