Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 3: June 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On Tuesday, Prince Joachim made his way past Fredensborg Store Kro when he visited Fredensborg Rotary Club. In front of a lot of attendants he told about his working life in the Armed Forces.
https://sn.dk/Fredensborg/Billeder-Prins-Joachim-besoegte-kro-naer-slottet/artikel/823387

Muhler, I have a question on this photo :whistling:;)
Both hands in pockets while in uniform :cool:
https://images.sn.dk/93/1269993_930_9300_0_170_4390_3033_2.jpg

There is of course a perfectly rational explanation. ?

No army officer would ever, as never ever, bury his hands in his pockets.
Nor would a gentleman ever be seen in public with his hands in his pocket - it's... impossible.
As we all know Joachim is an army officer and a perfect gentleman. :cool:

This is really the result of a collaboration between our Marie and Frederik.
The Rotary Club took contact to Marie when they learned that she and Joachim were to live in France for a while. Members of the Rotary Club expressed consternation and deep distress that Joachim for the next year or so would not have time to visit the club and by his mere presence set a standard for correct attire and behavior thus ensuring the club maintained its aloof standard. So they asked Marie to help, perhaps a portrait of Joachim, would comfort the other members?

Marie did some thinking and decided to ask her brother in law, Frederik. He's portrayed all the time, so he must know an artist who could portray Joachim.
Indeed he did.
Frederik brought along some photos of Joachim in his dress uniform. The artist then asked Frederik: "How should he pose?" Frederik replied: Why, just standing there looking natural, will do. - Like this."
Frederik then demonstrated to the artist how he looks when he is natural - with both hand glued to his pockets... :whistling:
No problem, so the artist went to work.

And this wax-figure of Joachim was the result. ?
You have to admit it's very life-like! If it wasn't for the hands in the pockets you would be forgiven for thinking this really is Joachim!

In the second photo we see the real breathing Joachim. Without his hands in his pockets. :cool:

Thanks Polyesco & Eya. :flowers:

The uniforms worn by the custodians in the background are of course of interest to me, being a uniform nerd.
They are copies of Danish army uniforms anno 1735. - Down to the waistcoat.
To be specific they officers uniforms. (Something the BB reporter can be excused for not knowing.)

And they reflect the current civilian fashion trend at the time. I.e. very long coats buttoned all the way down with a multitude of buttons. Being able to afford and wear a coat with many (preferably) silver-buttons was of course a status symbol.
At the same time female jackets also contained as many buttons as possible, but their tended to end at the waist, where the skirt began.

The intricately embroidered waist coast was just as much a status symbol as the jacket! The more intricate, the more expensive and the more prestige.
And if you think the hippies of 68 wore vivid colorful patterns not least with flowers on their clothes and waist coats - I can assure you that they wouldn't have impressed a well attired gentleman from the mid 1700's!
As you can tell from this photo: https://app.box.com/s/pxb7de2c0ikwou2j7uhj
I have often believed PH lived in the wrong century. Fashion-wise he would have felt right at home anno 1750.

Apart from the jacket and waistcoat, notice the huge scarves. Lace-shirts and lace-scarves were high-fashion in the 1700's and military fashion of course reflected that.

It's a pity the custodians don't wear tricorn hats, they would have begun to "grow" in size in 1735! Reaching their peak, size-wise by circa 1760. Just as female wigs reached a climax around that time as well.

- This is really nerd-stuff and I feel I'm getting carried away, so I'd better stop. ;)

Joachim appeared unannounced as newsreader on regional station under P4 - a public service radio station.
https://www.dr.dk/radio/p4sjaelland/nyheder-nv4-radio/p4-nyheder-2019-05-02-15-30-8
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...kelse-paa-p4-prins-joachim-som-nyhedsoplaeser

After the short news he seemingly took part in a radio program. the contens of that are not known to me.
This happened today Thursday.

- With a minimum of training Joachim could be a fine newsreader IMO. - He just needs to speak a tad slower.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2019.
Written by Trine Larsen.

As you know Joachim is heavily involved in the making of a TV series about the history of Denmark and what has made the Danes who we are. I.e. our national character.

This is a project he thoroughly enjoys!
"We have actually been at it one week every month since September and now we are nearly finished, so I dare tell myself that I have grown with the task."

In the beginning a take had to be done twenty times, but now the one take our reporter saw only needed to be done three times.
Joachim explains:
"But now the team know each other and know exactly what we are aiming at.
No, it wasn't hard to persuade me, because this is something I'm really burning for. History and telling it that interest me.
Without revealing too much we will in the shows look closer at who we Danes are, how power, religion, low borders, knowledge, symbols have rounded us and turned us into who we are today.
All of that based in something from everyday life that we normally take for granted, but certainly isn't because there is a past behind it. Nothing comes from nothing and that's what we are getting into".

On this day Joachim went to an ice-hockey match to record a few minutes of the spectators singing the national anthem.
"I admit it can seem weird to go to Aalborg to record a few minutes of the national anthem. We could have gone to a handball or football match, but that would have been too obvious."

Apart from that Joachim likes Ice-hockey.

About making the series:
"... And it's a hoot to make TV in this way and professionally totally fantastic. It's actually something I have been dreaming about for a while. Everybody has something they dabble with and burn for and now it happens. And I must admit it really has bloodied my teeth. (Developed a taste for it.)
It's telling history in an interesting and different way. It should hopefully appeal to both young and elderly and put things in place."

Joachim's passion for history is something he shares with his mother (not that Frederik does not have an extensive knowledge of history, he does!):
"I have always been interested in history, but it's not least the telling of history that interest me. The thing with there being in connection between things. That you in order to understand the present needs to undedrstand the past.
The word history alone can make most fall asleep but we try and avoid it becoming too dusty. We will hopefully make it in a way so that you discover things from your own luggage which are connected to history. A jig-saw of life... so that you suddenly as a viewer discover that everything comes from something.
But now I need to work - the crew is waiting."

White pants:ohmy:, We need better pics ...or maybe not :lol:

:previous: And the Danish helicopter base in Mali as well:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-joachim-sender-helt-unik-julehilsen

DK has for years now had an active military presence in several countries in Sahara. Working together with French troops. DK sometimes deploying special forces, sometimes an HQ, sometimes transport planes and now helicopters.
As you know there have been regular skirmishes with Islamic militants where France have suffered a number of casualties.
UN forces have been involved in similar skirmishes in other countries in Sahara, but further to the east, while US forces have been involved in Sahara as well, but further to the west.

New job for Joachim.

Joachim is going to be defense attache in Paris for the next three years.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joachim-faar-nyt-job

The job period may be extended.

He will start his new job on 1st September.

Joachim will not get a salary, instead he will keep his apanage.
Travels and other expenses in regards to his job will be covered by the Ministry of Defense.

ADDED.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/prins-joachim-faar-fuldtidsstilling-som-forsvarsattache-i-paris

Even though Joachim by continuing to receive an apanage will remain attached to the DRF as an active member, he will scale down quite a lot on his royal duties.

An assistant will be attached to Joachim.

- I imagine our Marie will travel to DK quite frequently to see to her protections. A bit like Benedikte. Stay in DK for a week or two every couple of months or so. Her expenses will be covered by Joachim's apanage no doubt.

Last edited:
To me, this clearly confirms the direction of travel for Joachim. Marie and he are unlikely to fill the role that Benedikte has ably filled in the current reign. That will leave the stage clear for Fred and Mary, and in time, Christian.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I agree.

I see this as a trial period. and if it works out for J&M he may in three years give up his apanage entirely and leave the DRF as an active member.

Now that Mary can act as Rigsforstander and with Benedikte still being able to step in at an emergency, Joachim can focus entirely on his new life.
And in only five years Christian can step in as Rigsforstander.

May he and his family be happy in Paris.

ADDED: Since this means Joachim entering active duty, I think it's likely he will soon be promoted to brigadier. And retire in 10-15 years as a major general.

Last edited:
The PM has issued a statement saying that Joachim can keep his apanage as long as he is a defense attache.
She will propose that in the Parliament. - Where it no doubt will be passed.

- To me that is another indication of Joachim fading out of the DRF. And in three years or perhaps when Christian has turned 18 the break will become complete.

ADDED: Joachim will be promoted to brigadier.

Last edited:
Okay, what does a defense/military attache do?

The attache is a direct diplomatic link between the Defense Command in Denmark and France.
He will advise the Danish ambassador in regards to military matters.
He will send reports about observations he makes in regards to military and security policy matters in France and countries closely attached to France.
He will be sounded out (and will sound out himself) by French politicians, diplomats and high ranking military personnel in regards to the Danish defense and security policy and may be asked about the security situation in the Arctic or other places where France needs information.
He will help smooth things out in regards to military co-operation between DK and France. - There will be plenty to do, because DK is now permanently attached to the French carrier group in the Mediterranean. And Danish and French soldiers have for years been on active combat, support, logistic, special forces and HQ duty in Sahara.
He will also help Danish businesses in selling military equipment to France, as well as being approached by French manufacturers of defense material.

But first and foremost his job is to establish and maintain contacts. Building up a network for the benefit of Danish interests.

So Joachim and our Marie will attend a lot of dinners and receptions! That's part of the job.
Being a Prince and Princess may perhaps help quite a lot.

The job will also include travels. Like visiting French military bases abroad.

I wonder whether this move is being made now because Prince Joachim's children from his first marriage are grown. Otherwise, it would surely have been simpler to settle abroad when he (re)married, as with Princess Benedikte or their cousin Princess Madeleine of Sweden. After all, when the prince remarried in 2008, his brother had a wife and two children and his aunt was an active working royal and available to step in. I don't see the timing as linked to Prince Christian's 18th birthday, given that Christian and his siblings will probably be expected to complete university and/or military training before taking on a working royal role.

Article 11 of the Danish Constitution appears to be clear that Parliament's authorization is required to enjoy the apanage abroad. The official translation: "Members of the Royal House may be granted annuities by statute. Such annuities shall not be enjoyed outside the Realm except with the consent of the Folketing." So, I do not understand how the Prime Minister can unilaterally give authorization by press release.

Have their been objections, as in Sweden, to the potential for a Prince and Princess of Denmark to be raised in a foreign country?

I wonder whether this move is being made now because Prince Joachim's children from his first marriage are grown. Otherwise, it would surely have been simpler to settle abroad when he (re)married, as with Princess Benedikte or their cousin Princess Madeleine of Sweden. After all, when the prince remarried in 2008, his brother had a wife and two children and his aunt was an active working royal and available to step in. I don't see the timing as linked to Prince Christian's 18th birthday, given that Christian and his siblings will probably be expected to complete university and/or military training before taking on a working royal role.

Article 11 of the Danish Constitution appears to be clear that Parliament's authorization is required to enjoy the apanage abroad. The official translation: "Members of the Royal House may be granted annuities by statute. Such annuities shall not be enjoyed outside the Realm except with the consent of the Folketing." So, I do not understand how the Prime Minister can unilaterally give authorization by press release.

Have their been objections, as in Sweden, to the potential for a Prince and Princess of Denmark to be raised in a foreign country?

That was me who was typing a bit too fast.

The PM said in her statement that Joachim will get an apanage while he is Defense Attache and that will be proposed to the Parliament. - And that being passed is a certainty, otherwise the PM wouldn't have issued that statement.
(I've fixed my previous post.)

Christian's birthday is important because there must always be a Regent or Rigsforstander in the country. And we must expect M&F to step up their workload in particular in regards to foreign travels. And since we don't know how well QMII and Benedikte will be in the next five years it is IMO crucial to have a backup in form of Joachim. That's why I think 3-5 years is realistic for Joachim to fading out.

There are AFAIK not the same requirements for royal children as in Sweden. And anyway Henrik and Athena are so far down the list, it doesn't really matter.

That was me who was typing a bit too fast.

The PM said in her statement that Joachim will get an apanage while he is Defense Attache and that will be proposed to the Parliament. - And that being passed is a certainty, otherwise the PM wouldn't have issued that statement.
(I've fixed my previous post.)

Christian's birthday is important because there must always be a Regent or Rigsforstander in the country. And we must expect M&F to step up their workload in particular in regards to foreign travels. And since we don't know how well QMII and Benedikte will be in the next five years it is IMO crucial to have a backup in form of Joachim. That's why I think 3-5 years is realistic for Joachim to fading out.

Thank you for the explanations!

There are AFAIK not the same requirements for royal children as in Sweden. And anyway Henrik and Athena are so far down the list, it doesn't really matter.

I think that for some of the Swedish objectors the legal requirements were a lesser factor than a belief that a Princess or Prince of Sweden ought to give back to the country that honored them with their royal status, by remaining connected to the Swedish people and contributing with public duties. I wondered whether any Danes felt the same sentiments. In addition, with the Danish royals being permitted to use the name of the country for their commercial pursuits, would the Danes appreciate a Parisian business marketing itself as (say) "The Prince Henrik of Denmark Art Gallery" twenty years from now?

To me, Joachim's move makes complete sense. This move allows him to carve out a career for himself independent of the DRF, in the medium term. That career could be as a career Defece Attache, serving first in France and subsequently, in other locations. Alternatively, after this 3 year posting, he could take other Defence related roles.

To me, Joachim's move makes complete sense. This move allows him to carve out a career for himself independent of the DRF, in the medium term. That career could be as a career Defece Attache, serving first in France and subsequently, in other locations. Alternatively, after this 3 year posting, he could take other Defence related roles.

But have an apanage anyway...?
Shouldn't he have chosen the salary to be completely independent of the DRF?

But have an apanage anyway...?
Shouldn't he have chosen the salary to be completely independent of the DRF?

It may be that as Muhler proposed, this is a trial period and Prince Joachim is not fully committed to permanently settling in France. If Denmark is comparable to other democracies, I imagine it is politically more attractive for Parliamant to withdraw an apanage than to restore an apanage to a royal who renounced taxpayer funding years earlier. Preserving the apanage for the time being smooths the way for Prince Joachim to return to Denmark as a working royal in three years, if he wishes.

It may be that as Muhler proposed, this is a trial period and Prince Joachim is not fully committed to permanently settling in France. If Denmark is comparable to other democracies, I imagine it is politically more attractive for Parliamant to withdraw an apanage than to restore an apanage to a royal who renounced taxpayer funding years earlier. Preserving the apanage for the time being smooths the way for Prince Joachim to return to Denmark as a working royal in three years, if he wishes.

Fair point.

If Denmark is comparable to other democracies, I imagine it is politically more attractive for Parliamant to withdraw an apanage than to restore an apanage to a royal who renounced taxpayer funding years earlier. Preserving the apanage for the time being smooths the way for Prince Joachim to return to Denmark as a working royal in three years, if he wishes.

Yes, of course. On the other hand, if he has already decided that he is not coming back to be a working royal and the PM has already promised him the apanage as long as he is working as an attache (or something else) in Paris (or somewhere else), it could be, that a Danish apanage is paid abroad for the 10-15 years until he retires. I assume the apanage is bigger than what a salary would have been, or?

The apanage is considerably higher than a defence attache's (and brigadiers) salary, but not overwhelmingly so, as Joachim has to pay for the expenses for him and Marie when on the job for the DRF.
And as he is not getting a salary he won't get expenses to housing and schooling of his children covered either, which is normal for diplomats stationed abroad.
However as he will have next to no expenses for a staff and doesn't pay vat nor taxes of his apanage, he should be able to live a quite comfortable life even if he had no private fortune - which he has.
J&M are in no danger of having to live of crackers at the end of the month.

I don't know the living-expense level in Paris but I don't imagine it can be much higher than Copenhagen - on the contrary more likely.

-----------------

A Prince Henrik Art Gallery?

Well, speaking only for myself, I would find that quite inappropriate now as well as in 20 years.
Not for personal profit.

I guess it's a win win situation. From the vibes I'm getting nobody really misses Joachim in Denmark so good for him that there is something meaningful for him abroad.

I guess it's a win win situation. From the vibes I'm getting nobody really misses Joachim in Denmark so good for him that there is something meaningful for him abroad.

I'm afraid it pretty much sums it up.

I've been doing a little reading.
Most believe he should lose his apanage - without considering that no apanage de facto means that he and our Marie stops being active members of the DRF.

A "royal expert" (free me from royal experts who don't know what they are talking about!) has said that Joachim's job is pretty unimportant. And that a job at NATO would be more important.
- That may be. It would certainly be pretty unimportant if he was defense attache in say Italy, because DK has very few military connections with Italy and next to no direct co-operation. France is a different matter.
Also, Joachim is a specialist in France and speaks fluent French and understand the nuances of French culture and mindset. He also have some credits in France by having completed the staff curse.
But more importantly Joachim is relatively new to this kind of work. So placing him at the NATO HQ would be less efficient. And he would bypass other Danish officers who have spend years in the NATO system. So IMO France is the better option.

- So come September we won't be seeing much of J&M, There will be the odd interview to magazines. Marie doing some work in DK every couple of months for a few days. Joachim returning back on occasion for a day event. And J&M representing DK in France whenever there is an event there.
Apart from that we will pretty much only see them at the New year Court and the QMII's birthday.

I'm sure he will be happy in France, living a pretty anonymously life.

So, is it reasonable to think that this was the plan all along? That he took the course as a stepping stone to becoming a military attache in Paris?

Back
Top Bottom