Prince Joachim, Current Events Part 2: September 2005 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In his interview Joachim said he would support his sons starting their own businesses, he should remember he also has a little daughter that can also start her own business :whistling::whistling::)

:lol: I don't think it even occured to him. Joachim is admittedly a conservative person, but that daddy's little girl should fend for herself or even move away from home - and perish the thought, get married (because no man can ever be good enough!)... No, I believe, it will take a few years more before that thought will root in Joachim's mind.

HRH Prince Joachim attended Monday 6 May the presentation of this year's bid for a winning car for the Shell Eco-marathon 2013 from DTU and DTU students Road Runners. Shell Eco-marathon is an international competition in fuel economy and energy efficiency, which encourages educational institutions from around the world to develop and build vehicles that can run as far as possible to minimize fuel.

Photographer: Rumpelstiltskin Shears, Polfoto

Picture gallery from kongehuset.dk

Joachim has visited the Home Guard platoon that provides perimiter security at a base in Kosovo. Prins Joachim besøgte hjemmeværnets bevogtningsdeling i Kosovo

Joachim is a lieutenant colonel in the reserves.

There is at present stationed IIRC half a battalion of Danish troops in Kosovo, trying to maintain peace between Albanians and Serbs.
The Home Guard has for a number of years now and with great success provided perimiter security at several bases in both Afghanistan and Kosovo.
You may recall that Mary a couple of years or so ago, also visited the Home Guard platoon in Kosovo.
While there Joachim also handed out medals for foreign service.

Joachim is here wearing the black beret of a regular combat regiment (Jutland Dragoon Regiment), while the members of the (Army) Home Guard wear a green beret.
In the background of one of the pics we can see a couple of French soldiers.

Because the Home Guardsmen are volunteers on leave from their jobs, they are stationed for ten weeks at a time.

Last edited:
:previous:

Here is some more information with 2 pictures of the visit.

H.K.H. Prins Joachim i Afghanistan

Joachim has been visiting the Danish troops in Afghanistan for three days, starting this Monday. During the visit he aimed to visit as many bases and outposts as possible. With him went also the Chief of Defence, general Peter Bartram.
Joachim also visited the special forces tasked with training a special unit within the Afghan police.

Joachim said to the soldiers: "I'm deeply impressed by the effort Danish soldiers do here in Afghanistan. Everwhere I have been, I have met Danes for whom it's an honour to deliver a professionel and dedicated effort. All do so uniquely - on their own as well as in units and in co-operations with the contributions of other nations. I'm proud of what we, as the Danish military, deliver in contribution to solving this task".

Joachim is a lieutenant-colonel of the reserves in the Jutland Dragoon Regiment. A regiment that currently have troops and tanks stationed in Afghanistan. They however work further south in support of mainly British, US and Afghan forces.

Joachim also visited the British field hospital at Camp Bastion, where a Danish medical team is also working.

Danish combat troops will be withdrawn from Afghanistan this summer.

Joachim will return to DK again today, Friday.

Notice the last picture. Security is provided by FET agents. In contrast to PET, these are from the military and they are considerably heavier armed.

- You can safely say that this is a very valid reason not to attend Count Christian's funeral.

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Muhler :flowers:
i thought about this possibility (of Joachim being out of DK) when i read that he wouldn't be at the funeral and no explanation was given.

:previous: You are welcome. :)

Yes, this is the second time this month Joachim has been visiting Danish troops abroad. You may recall that he went to Kosovo earlier this month.

BB is up.

Joachim has gone to Greenland and Tuesday he visited the patrol ship Knud Rasmussen. http://www2.forsvaret.dk/nyheder/nationale_opgaver/Pages/HKHPrinsJoachimp%C3%A5Knud.aspx

This is a meeting between the defence chiefs of the arctic countries. - Minus the American defence chief he couldn't make it.
Joachim is there because Denmark (DK handles Greenlands defence) is the host for this meeting and as representative of the head of state, QMII.

Denmark, or rather Greenland, is among a number of nations that have a claim on the North Pole, but apart from that the changing climatic conditions have meant that more of the artic seas are navigable, enabling searching for resources like gas and oil, but also opening up new shipping lanes for a large portion of the year. All in all things are happing up north stategically speaking.
That has also led to an increased co-operation between the military forces in the Arctic. I'm in particular pleased about emphasizing the co-operation between the Danish and Canadian military. Which has gone from small scale confrontational over Hans Island to a very active co-operation, where Danish planes routinely land in Canada and aide the Canadians in the north and where the newly build Canadian artic warships have now participated in search and rescue missions off the Greenlandic coast. - Some thing that define what I will label proper behavior among civilized nations.

It looks to me that Joachim is wearing the static line jump wings, Frederik in comparison wear free fall jump wings.

Summertime in Greenland sure is breathtakingly beautiful isn't it?

Last edited:
thank you Muhler for the translation plus extra info:flowers:

and yes Greenland looks beautiful.

"It looks to me that Joachim is wearing the static line jump wings, Frederik in comparison wear free fall jump wings."

what is the difference?

The static line jumpwings with a blue parachute, means that you have qualified for and performed a number of parachute jumps with you parachute ripcord attached to the plane. You have no doubt seen in many war movies how paratroopers attach their ripcords to a bar in the plane before jumping out. The parachute is deployed automatically (hopefully) after falling a few meters from the plane.

The free fall jumpwings with a red parachute, means that you have qualified for and performed a number of jumps, where you yourself pulled the ripcord after falling for some time through the air. That is of course a little more complicated and more dangerous. For Frederik, as a member of the Frogman Corps, that would have been mandatory. (We even saw on TV one or more of his freefall jumps).

In short: Blue wings means you have completed the basic course, red wings the advanced course.

- I know I'm being very elaborate here, but what is obvious to me, may not be obvius to everybody else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joachim has gone to Greenland and Tuesday he visited the patrol ship Knud Rasmussen. H.K.H. Prins Joachim på KNUD RASMUSSEN

This is a meeting between the defence chiefs of the arctic countries. - Minus the American defence chief he couldn't make it.
Joachim is there because Denmark (DK handles Greenlands defence) is the host for this meeting and as representative of the head of state, QMII.

Denmark, or rather Greenland, is among a number of nations that have a claim on the North Pole, but apart from that the changing climatic conditions have meant that more of the artic seas are navigable, enabling searching for resources like gas and oil, but also opening up new shipping lanes for a large portion of the year. All in all things are happing up north stategically speaking.
That has also led to an increased co-operation between the military forces in the Arctic. I'm in particular pleased about emphasizing the co-operation between the Danish and Canadian military. Which has gone from small scale confrontational over Hans Island to a very active co-operation, where Danish planes routinely land in Canada and aide the Canadians in the north and where the newly build Canadian artic warships have now participated in search and rescue missions off the Greenlandic coast. - Some thing that define what I will label proper behavior among civilized nations.

It looks to me that Joachim is wearing the static line jump wings, Frederik in comparison wear free fall jump wings.

Summertime in Greenland sure is breathtakingly beautiful isn't it?

Thanks Muhler; delighted to read about increased military cooperation between our two countries. The Prince's visit to Knud Rasmussen reminds me of the cultural cooperation that also exists. Canadian filmmaker Zacharias Kunuk made a filmed version of the Journals of Rasmussen that opened the Toronto fillm festival in 2006. :cool::flowers:

A brief description of Prince Joachim's event today at 12:00 which is rededication of the AGF Cemetery in Braine, France. The Prince will also give a speech at the event.
Read here

A brief description of Prince Joachim's event today at 12:00 which is rededication of the AGF Cemetery in Braine, France. The Prince will also give a speech at the event.
Read here

Thanks, Dazzling.

Yes, after the Second Schleswigan War in 1864, the duchies of Holstein & Schleswig (German spelling) ended up being a part of Germany within a few years. That included several hundred thousand ethnic Danes living predominantly in Northern Schleswig, who became Germans.
When WWI came tens of thousands of ethnic Danes were called up for the German military, even though a few managed to flee across the border to Denmark.
More than 5.000 died, mostly on the Western Front.

Over time many of the fallen have been reburied at the Southern Jutlandic Cemetary at Braine in France. And this is what Joachim will commemorate.
There is also a monument located in the Remembrance Park in Aarhus. - Between Marselisborg Manor and the bay to be exact.

In 1920, after a referendum, a majority vote ensured that Northern Slesvig (DK spelling) returned to Denmark.

It's very natural that Joachim should go, because he and our Marie are very much the "Southern Jutlandic Royals".

Last edited:
As can be expected this is very well covered by the press in Southern Jutland. Here a clip from TV2 Syd: Sønderjysk kirkegård i Frankrig genindviet - tvsyd.dk - TVSyd - Nyheder - Lokal - Sydjylland

It's all the municipalities in Southern Jutland, which have paid for the renovation of the cemetary and for setting up plaques.
In fact 79 Soutern Jutlanders are buried here, of the 5.333 who died during WWI. - Most in fact fell at Verdun. (*)
Joachim gave a speech and saw the plaques naming all the Southern Jutlanders who fell.
They were honoured by colour guards from French as well as Danish veteran associations, even though they actually fought each other.

(*) Verdun, a name known to every Frenchman. The scene of one of the longest continous battles in history. In continued uninterrupted from February 1916 until it finally ended in December 1916.
The purpose of the battle was to attack a place that was so important to France, that they would defend it at all cost, thus bleeding France dry in the process. - It came close to succeeding! The total casualties exceeds well over one million altogether.
You can argue that what saved Verdun and perhaps ultimately France was the Somme offensive 1916.
The price was even by WWI standards truly horrific!

To put it into perspective for Danish members: Imagine yourself walking along Langeline, from Amalienborg to the Little Mermaid, a distance of some two KM. Along that route, on every single meter, you will see lined up ten dead and twenty wounded! - And that was only the British casualties - on the first day!

---------

ADDED: A gallery: http://www.jv.dk/gallerier/681354

Last edited:
Today Joachim attended the 300th anniversary of the army officers school and laid down three wreaths in memory of fallen officers.
En fødselar i topform

There were also cadets from other countries present.

Joachim, who is a lieutenant colonel is seen next to the head of the Army Operational Command, a major general, both wearing the full dress uniform of the army. As Joachim is a representative for the Monarch he outranks the general, despite being a junior officer.
The school commandant is also seen, he is "only" a full colonel.

On completion of the stay at the officers school, the cadets will be promoted to first lieutenants and shortly after invited to greet Her Majesty, who will congratulate them on the graduation.

Last edited:
TV2 is celebrating it's 25th anniversary Prins Joachim til TV 2s jubilæumsshow i aften - Billed Bladet
and on that occasion Joachim will along with the soccer player (from back when it wasn't that depressing to watch the national team...) Preben Elkjær will relieve a number of the major sportsevents from the past 25 years at a major jubilee show tonight. - Which I won't watch because it's a case of let's-pad-each-other-on-back-while-we-agree-on-how-maginficent-we-all-are.

- I, being two-thirds fossilied, can of course remember when TV2 was launched and the difference it actually made.
Before then things were simpler. There was only one network DR1, with one station. The only alternative were for those of us who could watch German and Swedish TV, - very much depending on the reception!
But the next day at work or school or whatever everybody had something to talk about because everybody else had watched the same thing, no matter how silly or boring it was.
My children roll their eyes way back in their heads when I tell them about it. An incomprehensible world to them, just like fixed telephones. A medieval life in their eyes.

Now we have, to quote Dire Straits, 52 channels of sh*t to choose from. What a progress, eh?

A follow up on Joachim's appearance in the TV2 jubille show: Prins Joachim: Her er mit yndlings-tvprogram - Royale | www.bt.dk

With a nice big pic: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/845/6/6845898-tv2s-25-rs-jubilum.jpg
Observe and admire how Joachim, being the perfect gentleman, is not only appropriately but neatly attired.

When Joachim was asked what TV-programme he liked the best, he picked without hestitation (the uncontroversial) The Julekalender.
Every year from 1st December until Christmas Eve, the major networks have a TV-Christmas calendar (julekalender) for children counting down the days to Christmas. There is usually a simple plot evolving around a Christmas theme.
However, the networks also send such a calendar for adults.
The Julekalender being the absolute favorite ever.

The chracters were drawn from a popular trio at the time and centered around three nisser (pixies) who had lived in America for some hundred years, even though they are Danish and as such the speak a kind of Danglish.
Anyway they and a sinister adversary whose intent is to eradicate the pixies end up at an unsuspecting married couple far out in the countryside over here in Jutland, where they grow potatoes. They nailed the couple! I know several such married couples!
This was a comedy full of subtleties, which is of course why it is so pooular to this day. A number of songs from The Julekalender also became hits. Here is one:
Here they are singing the Boot Dance, after enjoing a beer or two: The Julekalender - Støvledance - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
And while M&F are in sunny Mexico, Joachim has been trotting around in a forest in Southern Jutland in pouring rain, taking part in one of the royal hunts: Prins Joachim gik på kongejagt

The rain didn't deter Joachim: "Once I've agreed to a hunt I've also agreed to the weather. - There is no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothing".

:previous:

Here are two more pics of Joachim at the award ceremony and conference:

** kongehuset.dk: Dansk Industris Initiativpris **

That same day, January 22, Joachim also attended the Danish Motorsport Award ceremony in Copenhagen. Joachim presented a donation to the widow of Danish racer Allan Simonsen who died in Le Mans, France, last summer. He looks quite touched on the pics taken during his speech:

** Pic ** fb: Dansk Motorsport Award 2014 **

:previous: Thanks, Iceflower. - Joachim was indeed moved.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #5, 2014.
Written by Henrik Salling.

Danish Motor Sports Awards 2014 were presented recently in Copenhagen and Joachim presented two checks to the widow of racing driver Allan Simonsen, who was killed last year. Allan Simonsen left a wife, Carina Lundbye Hansen and a one year old daughter, Mie-Mai.
In fact Joachim himself was racing on the same track when Allan Simonsen was killed and he said about the tragedy back then: "When you have met him and known him, then this is not something you can just let go. It was a huge shock. It has struck everyone and no matter how we look at it and how it affects us as colleagues and fellow countrymen, it is first and foremost terrible for his family".

At the award ceremony Joachim presented 2.4 million DKK which has been raised within the international motor sports world and he said, visibly moved: "It was a cursed day for all who have had a sniff at the motoring sport.
Spend the money as you please - and as for what... that you just keep to yourselves".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom