Prince Joachim & Princess Marie's Official Visit to China: November 22-29, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joachim and Marie are ready for Hong Kong and Beijing, according to this article:
jp.dk - Joachim og Marie til Hong Kong og Beijing

They will open an exhibition called "The Danish Design Jewels" at the Hong Kong Harbor City Shopping Centre. They will also light Christmas trees at the Four Seasons Hotel. The trees have been decorated by a Danish designer. Then they will be the guests of honor at a fashion show featuring the fashions from five Danish fashion designers.

Toward the end of their trip, they will head to Beijing, where they will attend the opening ceremony for "Danish Fairytales in China", which features an art exhibition. The article also mentions that Joachim's last visit to Hong Kong was in 2007. The goal of the visit is to promote Danish design, food, and fashion.

Last edited:
November 21-28 - Hong Kong
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participating in business promotion in Hong Kong from 21-28 November.

November 28-29 - Beijing

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie participate in cultural and commercial promotions in Beijing from 28-29 November

It will be nice to see the pictures of this trip as they start coming in.

Hopefully the trip won't a little bit awkward for Marie, since Joachim met Alexandra there and she still has family in Hong Kong.

It's invevitable that at some point he will be "retracing his steps", but with a new wife. He has a very protective way about him, I'm sure that he handle the trip very well in spite of it all.

i'm surprised that the danish embassy webpage doesn't have any information on the royal visit, they are usually quite good with this and they let people know the agenda. however, i'm looking forward to pictures today!

sweet Danish Royal Family
Billed-Bladet - Lille Henrik med mor og far til Hongkong

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, still no pictures of arrivals or the family. These pictures that were posted are very nice, but are taken from archives, from May, when the little prince was born, not from this trip.

I wonder if this is by choice or not. The pictures of the recent Vietnam trip (the queen, prince consort, crown prince and princess) were fairly quick, and certainly plentiful.

Yes, still no pictures of arrivals or the family. These pictures that were posted are very nice, but are taken from archives, from May, when the little prince was born, not from this trip.

I wonder if this is by choice or not. The pictures of the recent Vietnam trip (the queen, prince consort, crown prince and princess) were fairly quick, and certainly plentiful.

Certainly in HK at the moment there doesn't seem to be very much coverage at all; searching both the Chinese- and English-language papers gives basically no information at all about this trip.

And by the way, do any Chinese members know if whoever it is who decides has transliterated Princess Marie's name into Chinese; I only know Joachim (約阿基姆) and Alexandra (文雅麗/亞歷山德拉)'s names in Chinese, so I can't search for anything about Marie apart from by guessing her name(MaLi)? Thanks!:flowers:

Is there no Danish press rep with them?

They have only just arrived in HK, according to their calendar. It is possible that they didn't have an official event today. There may be Danish press present in HK, but there might be some agreement that the press would only photograph them while they are on an official event. We will probably see photos tomorrow.

Isn't HKong one day ahead on the international date line?

As this hemisphere is finishing Nov 21, isn't Hong Kong already on Nov 22, going to Nov 23 --- maybe I'm mistaken.

:previous:

It is currently 3:23pm on Sunday November 22nd in Hong Kong. Let's all be patient - I'm sure the minute photos and information are available, they will be posted here :)

They will be a good week in Hong Kong and one day in Bejing? :p The Danish are usually good at combining work with personal pleasures and I don't expect this trip to be an exception. The agenda doesn't sound too heavy for a weeks' stay (that's an understatement) but I am sure they'll enjoy the sightseeing :innocent:

Marie will no doubt meet Joachim's friends and associates from his earlier days in Hong Kong - unless this is a routine trip for him, especially regarding companies directly regarding his tree business and the like.

Does he go to Hong Kong on a regular basis?

First pics so far:

Prince Joachim of Denmark and Princess Marie arrive for a private lunch
in Hong Kong Monday, Nov. 23, 2009, as they visit Hong Kong and Beijing
from Nov. 22 to 29 in connection with a number of Danish business promotion
events.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages **

Last edited:
Oh there should be some good coverage after all - "BILLED-BLADET er taget med prins Joachim og prinsesse Marie til Hongkong, og vi dækker naturligvis hele deres rejse, både i bladet og her på hjemmesiden." BB say they were taken with Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and will cover the entire course of their journey online and in the magazine.

The HK press still hasn't picked up on it at all though as far as I can see; I think it was of more interest to them when Alexandra was Joachim's wife because she's from Hong Kong, whereas Joachim, with no offence intended to him, is of basically no interest to HKers and it isn't exactly his first visit there anyway. Hopefully there will be something though...

Now I just need to find myself some more informative articles so I can write a blog entry with more than "Prince Joachim & wife went to HK to promote business, see the pretty pictures here:D" So apologies in advance for the lack of blog entry for you guys at the moment :sad:

Finally! It is great to see some photos. I'm really glad to hear that BB plans to travel along with the prince and princess. They both look rested and relaxed in these photos.

Thank you for the pictures, so far looks like its been calm and Marie seems confident while both couple seem happy & relaxed.
BB never dissapoints with pictures :lol:

finally some pictures!
it's a shame the agenda seems to be so short - there must be so many interesting things to do in china! although since for some reason this trip was centered in hong kong, i agree it must be hard to find a good mix for the agenda. if i would have been in charge of the visit i would have programmed more time in beijing and less in hong kong to be able to take advantage of the visit!

I don't know for sure, but I think that the reason why they are spending so much time in HK is because of the Danish designers and business-owners that they are visiting with. So many of them seem to be based in HK.

I don't know for sure, but I think that the reason why they are spending so much time in HK is because of the Danish designers and business-owners that they are visiting with. So many of them seem to be based in HK.

Being Chinese, if someone said to me about design or things like that and asked me to associate a city with it, I'd certainly say HK and then maybe Shanghai, but not Beijing, so it certainly makes sense...although that may be my HK-centred attitude; I can remember reading an interview with Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi saying that she got people in HK saying how could she possibly be famous when she's from outside Hong Kong, which is of course where all civilisation ends :whistling: , the rest of China is just barbarous wilderness :cool:

Marie looks like such a nice person. I like her casual style. It seems to represent her personality. She has always a nice smile in her face.
Hopefully this visit will get some more attention.

Yes, Marie has a smile that is a winner. In the pictures, she is certainly looking to Joachim for support, nice for him to feel this sense of importance. He looks very happy to be "leading the way" for her. They make a good couple, happy together.

Nice photos.

Hope they go to a dressy event as well.

NOVEMBER 23: Prince Joachim of Denmark and Princess Marie attend a photography exhibition at Grand Hyatt Hong Kong on November 23, 2009 in Hong Kong, China.
GettyImages gallery

November 24
Prince Joachim of Denmark and Princess Marie look on at a booth as theY attend the Danish Design jewels Exhibition in Hong Kong, China, 24 November 2009.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5

Princess Marie of Denmark visits the opening the opening of a Danish design exhibition at a shopping mall in Hong Kong on November 24, 2009.
GettyImages gallery

Last edited:
Here are some more photos from MSN:
Prins Joachim: Ramt af jetlag - MSN Starlounge

According to the article, Prince Joachim told reporters that he has been affected by jetlag. The article talks briefly about their program, and says that little Prince Henrik is being cared for by nannies at the hotel while the prince and princess are making their official visits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom