Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events Part 5: August 2013 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie visited Hærens Sergent School to mark the 30th anniversary of the Prince's graduation from the school in Varde today, August 15. It's the same school Prince Nikolai now attends as well, so you can see Joachim inspecting his own son ?

"It was touching. We were very proud", Princess Marie said.

And Prince Joachim told the young soldiers: "It's not wrong to fail here. We all make mistakes. But those who make the difference are those who develop and learn from their mistakes".

** kongehuset gallery ** belga gallery **

** BB video: SE VIDEOEN: Stolt prins Joachim besøgte prins Nikolai **

** tv2.dk video: Prins Nikolai blev inspiceret af sin far på Hærens Sergentskole **

** jv.dk gallery & article: Mange billeder: Prinsesse Marie var stolt over at se prins Nikolai i tøjen ** translation **

Last edited:
I don't unerstand why they were at Caix Castle during the photoshot at Grästen and now the Queen is alone at Caix and they are in Denmark !
Strange !!

:previous: QMII has always been at Cayx in August. The difference this year is of course that she's a widow now.
But I doubt she's alone. Just like at Marselisborg, she is likely to have brought friends with her. - Not to mention that PH's French relatives are still in the general area and as far as I know their relationship is still good.

J&M and M&F can hardly go to Cayx anyway. Schools have started after the summer holiday here in DK.

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #37, 2018.
Written by the Ken Richter.

Recently Joachim and our Marie returned to Schackenborg where Joachim gave a personal speech to a packed audience over the topic: My Southern Jutland.

Joachim has often been praised for being a good speaker. Well, you be the judge. Ken Richter wrote the article so this is what Joachim actually said!

About giving up Schackenborg: "Don't think I ran away. - I had to lay down my arms. Schackenborg is a wonderful place, but the reality was that the manor was a business with a not insignificant debt which I took over. I did not manage to get that debt out of the way. We made several initiatives with savings, investments and new initiatives, but when that is not enough, you must at some point make a line in the sand. A place like this doesn't run itself, but I have never let go of my feelings and my desire to be here."

Over the centuries there have been ups and downs regarding Schackenborg. Joachim had to give up and that is now a closed chapter: "There is no use in thinking about a past that has been decided. I will however not deny the reality behind it. It must as such not be a ghost in my life and nor for my children. We have chosen to remember the plus-sides, even though there were minuses as well. The children must be spared knowing about the minuses at the age they are in."

Joachim visited Schackenborg for the first time when he was seven. Back then owned by Hans and Karin Schack.
"It was in the summer of 1976 where I was on holiday at Gråsten Manor. The Crown Prince and I had been invited over one afternoon to experience and see Schackenborg. We were out harvesting and to a seven year old lad that was... wauw."

When he was nine it was announced that Joachim should take over Schackenborg.
"From that period another reality entered my light-board (head). Now I had to identify myself with this here place, and it's utterly unique. Also when there are no leaves on the trees and when the water is falling horizontal from the west."
He came more and more often to Schackenborg.
"In that way there was more and more meat on story for me. It was now my home ground. It is a unique and terrific countryside and the oasis in all of it is Møgeltønder and Schackenborg. It is also a personal oasis, because it is a peaceful place, where there so many good vibrations each time we are here and the time always feels too short."

Joachim thanked the Schackenborg Foundation for his family being allowed to keep visiting the manor:
"We are grateful that we can come visiting regularly here at the manor. The children's Lego is still strewn here and there. That is also what makes this place such a human/habitable place."

Joachim finished his agricultural education 25 years ago:
That was the decisive day when I took over running the business and the manor."

Prior to that he had lives all over DK:
I know the whole country pretty well and have lived in several corners of the country like Aalborg, Viborg, Oksbøl, Southern Zealand and Falster. But the identity I have felt down here is something completely to itself. One is invited inside in this little part of the world, upon which you discover how big it is on the inside. How spacious it is, how interesting and rewarding it is. It is all something I have felt and sensed - and still feel. That is also something - to be totally honest - I miss to this day."

"Time is going incredibly fast. But that you remember with joy, that no one can take away."

- Well, I think he has still not reconciled himself to what I'm sure he think of as a deep personal defeat. The second big defeat of his life. The first being his divorce from Alexandra.

:previous: Thanks Muhler.
It's nice that Joachim and his family share these little interview snippets with us. Good to hear that both Nikolai and Felix are enjoying their time at their new school - and military school!

Excerpts from article in Billed Bladet #37, 2018.
Written by the Ken Richter.

Recently Joachim and our Marie returned to Schackenborg where Joachim gave a personal speech to a packed audience over the topic: My Southern Jutland.

Joachim has often been praised for being a good speaker. Well, you be the judge. Ken Richter wrote the article so this is what Joachim actually said!

About giving up Schackenborg: "Don't think I ran away. - I had to lay down my arms. Schackenborg is a wonderful place, but the reality was that the manor was a business with a not insignificant debt which I took over. I did not manage to get that debt out of the way. We made several initiatives with savings, investments and new initiatives, but when that is not enough, you must at some point make a line in the sand. A place like this doesn't run itself, but I have never let go of my feelings and my desire to be here."

Over the centuries there have been ups and downs regarding Schackenborg. Joachim had to give up and that is now a closed chapter: "There is no use in thinking about a past that has been decided. I will however not deny the reality behind it. It must as such not be a ghost in my life and nor for my children. We have chosen to remember the plus-sides, even though there were minuses as well. The children must be spared knowing about the minuses at the age they are in."

Joachim visited Schackenborg for the first time when he was seven. Back then owned by Hans and Karin Schack.
"It was in the summer of 1976 where I was on holiday at Gråsten Manor. The Crown Prince and I had been invited over one afternoon to experience and see Schackenborg. We were out harvesting and to a seven year old lad that was... wauw."

When he was nine it was announced that Joachim should take over Schackenborg.
"From that period another reality entered my light-board (head). Now I had to identify myself with this here place, and it's utterly unique. Also when there are no leaves on the trees and when the water is falling horizontal from the west."
He came more and more often to Schackenborg.
"In that way there was more and more meat on story for me. It was now my home ground. It is a unique and terrific countryside and the oasis in all of it is Møgeltønder and Schackenborg. It is also a personal oasis, because it is a peaceful place, where there so many good vibrations each time we are here and the time always feels too short."

Joachim thanked the Schackenborg Foundation for his family being allowed to keep visiting the manor:
"We are grateful that we can come visiting regularly here at the manor. The children's Lego is still strewn here and there. That is also what makes this place such a human/habitable place."

Joachim finished his agricultural education 25 years ago:
That was the decisive day when I took over running the business and the manor."

Prior to that he had lives all over DK:
I know the whole country pretty well and have lived in several corners of the country like Aalborg, Viborg, Oksbøl, Southern Zealand and Falster. But the identity I have felt down here is something completely to itself. One is invited inside in this little part of the world, upon which you discover how big it is on the inside. How spacious it is, how interesting and rewarding it is. It is all something I have felt and sensed - and still feel. That is also something - to be totally honest - I miss to this day."

"Time is going incredibly fast. But that you remember with joy, that no one can take away."

- Well, I think he has still not reconciled himself to what I'm sure he think of as a deep personal defeat. The second big defeat of his life. The first being his divorce from Alexandra.

And some pictures from this event on 5 September

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnE1C6QW0AAt1vm.jpg
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=6663094ac26d8d19a47eb82efe2ee1e9&oe=5C36197E
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=ad9433e38652caa11bfac1b2d9fbc6e7&oe=5C1FD977
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=81d40aff43c864aa004207f7fabddbce&oe=5C28A5F0

J&M are shortly to go to France to take part in the commemorations of the end of WWI.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-prins-joachim-paa-vigtig-rejse-til-frankrig

Denmark was neutral during WWI, but what is today Southern Jutland, belonged to Germany back then after the disastrous Second Schleswigan War in 1864. As a consequence some 30.000 ethnic Danes were enrolled in the German army and fought among other places in France.
Many were killed there and this is where J&M come in.

Near the French town of Braine, north-east of Paris is a cemetery for some of the Danes killed on the Western Front.
Joachim reinaugurated the cemetery back in 2013.

There is no bitterness or resentment towards the Danes fighting on German side in France, as I understand it. After all a lot of ethnic minorities fought on "the wrong" side during that war.
There were after all ethnic French from Alsace and Lorraine who fought on the German side after these two provinces became German in 1871.
Not to mention the many Slavic people who ended up fighting against Russia in the Austrian-Hungarian army.
And Boers in South Africa were perhaps less than keen to join the Allied army against Germany and so on and so on.

J&M are shortly to go to France to take part in the commemorations of the end of WWI.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-prins-joachim-paa-vigtig-rejse-til-frankrig

Denmark was neutral during WWI, but what is today Southern Jutland, belonged to Germany back then after the disastrous Second Schleswigan War in 1864. As a consequence some 30.000 ethnic Danes were enrolled in the German army and fought among other places in France.
Many were killed there and this is where J&M come in.

Near the French town of Braine, north-east of Paris is a cemetery for some of the Danes killed on the Western Front.
Joachim reinaugurated the cemetery back in 2013.

There is no bitterness or resentment towards the Danes fighting on German side in France, as I understand it. After all a lot of ethnic minorities fought on "the wrong" side during that war.
There were after all ethnic French from Alsace and Lorraine who fought on the German side after these two provinces became German in 1871.
Not to mention the many Slavic people who ended up fighting against Russia in the Austrian-Hungarian army.
And Boers in South Africa were perhaps less than keen to join the Allied army against Germany and so on and so on.
As a German from the Palatinate (who from my father's mother's side is from a French family from Lorraine) I have a different look at this, you can really argue about the ethnically "French" Alsaciens and Lorrainians, because originally they were "Franconians" of the Rhine. That does not means French at all. While it is true that "France" derived from the Franconian tribes, they were originally Germanics who after the end of the west-roman realm conquered today's North of France and Germany up to viking realms and down to the North of Italy, thius creating the "Franconian realm" of the Merowings and Caroling kings. under Caroling reign, at the death of Charlesmagne, Lorraine and Alsace became part the "Middle realm" of Charlemagne's son Lothar, while the eastern Franconian realm became France and the western Franconian realm the Holy Roman empire. And the countries from the Netherlands down to Northern Italy including Burgundy, Luxembourg, Lorraine, Bar and the Alsace changed hands a lot. Originally by contract of Maastricht part of the Holy Empire, the French piece for piece took more and more to France and while in the 19th century, before WWI, the Lorrainians felt more French, the Alsaciens till today are well aware of their Germanic heritage. Plus a lot of people moved there over the centuries, either from France or from the Germanic North and East, Luxemburg, the Palatinate, Suebia and Baden. So you cannot say that people from Lorraine or the Alsace are ethnically French, because they are such a mixture of cultures and are still today - in this case the place people come from does not automatically means they are part of a French or German culture, that depends on each person's heritage and the place where thy were born.

Last edited:
Mr Muhler , Why did the lady in waiting and Prince Joachim secretary resign on the same day.
No work for them ?
Princess benedikte is doing more than your Princess Marie.

Mr Muhler , Why did the lady in waiting and Prince Joachim secretary resign on the same day.
No work for them ?
Princess benedikte is doing more than your Princess Marie.

Thank you, Kataryn. :flowers:

Most educational.
I had the impression that most people from that region had over the centuries come to identify themselves as predominantly French. That is certainly the impression the docus and history books I've read and seen presents. :ermm:

Their resignation happening at the same time is a coincidence.
In DK the various LiWs and adjutants (Joachim's secretary is basically an "administrative adjutant") resign after a number of years. In other countries like Sweden the adjutants are rotated on shorter periods.

Benedikte has always been a hard worker. There is no denying that. When she is in DK (also when she was married) she tends to lump together a number of events, usually for her protections, so that she over a handful of days take on several different events.
Our Marie on the other hand, tends to take on events that covers southern DK quite a lot and sometimes involving traveling abroad.
Could she do more? Yes, no doubt.
Should she do more? That is not an easy question to answer.

Right now we have a semi-retired Monarch, QMII.
We have the main working adult couple, M&F, who are kept busy performing their duties. They are center-stage - as they should be.
And we have J&M as the supporting adult working couple. And for the next 15 years or so, they are the main reserves, should M&F suffer some kind of malfunction. And that will remain so until Christian is ready to take over.
Then we have an additional, part time working royal in the shape of Benedikte.
Together they constitute 5 full time working royals - who are to cover a country of 5.8 million.

Okay, if we compare to the BRF.
At present they constitute 7 full time royals, who covers a population ten times larger plus the Commonwealth. That means they have to do a proportionally higher number of engagements in order to cover a similar area. As a consequence they are seen all over the place. Partly because that's tradition in the BRF, a necessity and not least because the British public and certainly the press seems obsessed with how many engagement they do, rather than the quality of these engagements.
And, there is another factor to consider: The physical distance, not to mention the cultural distance, between the ordinary Brit and the ordinary Dane and their royals is much shorter in Denmark than in Britain. Which is why members of the DRF rarely cause a stir when they are out and about on their own.
If I and Mrs. Muhler stroll down a pedestrian street in Aarhus every week there is a small but real chance that we will meet a member of the DRF, while the chance of meeting a member of the BRF is almost negligible were we stroll down a pedestrian street in Birmingham.
That shorter distance is why the number of DRF events are comparatively much lower in DK than in the UK. If we see them too often, it cease being something special.

Last edited:
Very private Event. Why did they not represent the Queen of Denmark at the Commoration in Paris this morning?

Very private Event. Why did they not represent the Queen of Denmark at the Commoration in Paris this morning?

Presumably because Denmark was neutral during WWI.

But nevertheless a number of ethnic Danes fought in the war - on the German side. These were what is today Southern Jutlanders and M&F have maintained an affiliation to Southern Jutland, where the WWI really means something.
Some 30.000 ethnic Danes were conscripted into the German army, of those some 4.000 were killed. So just as you can't find a cemetery in France and Britain without at least a plaque commemorating fallen soldiers of the WWI, you can hardly find a cemetery in that part of DK that doesn't have a similar memorial.

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

I think Joachim's words can be summarized into this brief quote: "Peace is everybody's business, not just the individual."

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #46, 2018.
Written Henrik Salling.

As you all know The War to end all Wars ended 100 years ago on the 11th November.
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attended a ceremony in France to commemorate that day.
It took place in the French town of Braine, where a number of ethnic Danes, who at the time fought for Germany are now buried.
Briane is a partnership town with the Southern Jutlandic town of Haderslev, which during WWI was a part of Germany.
As such there is a special dedicated Southern Jutlandic cemetery in Braine.
The cemetery was opened in 1921 and contains the remains of 79 ethnic Danes dug up elsewhere in France. Most Danes were buried in mass graves, so is rare to find identifiable of Danes in France.

Marie joined her husband straight from Glasgow where she had attended a conference about autism.
So on the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day in the eleventh month 2018 J&M attended a moving ceremony, almost appropriately under a heavy November rain at the cemetery in Braine. Joachim dressed in his full dress uniform and with representatives from Denmark.
It started with memorial service in the local church performed in unison by Catholic priests as well as a Danish parish priest. And here both French and Danish psalms were sung.
Then a wreath was placed at the Danish cemetery in Braine, attended by Danish as well as French veterans associations. Here were also speeches including one from a very moved Joachim.

But of course it wasn't all sadness and dark memories. While there J&M also had the opportunity to cement the Danish-French relations on this more local level. And that took place in the evening before the 11th.
A very informal dinner in the local community hall followed later on by a concert in the local cathedral, Saint-Yved de Braine where Slesvig Music Corps (A Southern Jutlandic military band) played a new piece composed for the occasion as a present dedicated to Braine. The band also played a march, Prince Henrik's Salute - that moved Joachim.

- I cannot help thinking how much it must have meant to Marie to commemorate this very special day, that means so much to the French, in France.

Last edited:
Thanks, Iceflower.

Hmm, interesting.
What do you think about their replies?

They are looking for a place to live.

It has not been decided how long they are going to be in France.

Joachim: Vi tager den første udfordring - det er det første år, så lad os nu bare fokusere på den,
"We take on the first challenge - that's the first year, so let us focus on that."

Our Marie about returning to France:
Det bliver dejligt. Jeg er meget glad for være tæt på min familie, og at børnene lærer lidt mere af den franske kultur og lærer at tale fransk lidt bedre. Det går godt, men... Det er en stor chance
"It'll be nice. I'm very glad about being close to my family and that the children will learn a little more about the French culture and learn to speak French a little better. It goes well, but... It's a big chance."

What do they hope to get out of this?

Joachim:
Det er en enestående chance. Det er spændende. Det betyder også noget for det danske forsvar, den invitation, der - via mig - er kommet til forsvaret,
- Det er netop en udfordring at bygge ovenpå alt dét, jeg foreløbigt har nået rent militært, men også det, vi alle sammen får oplevet at bo i Frankrig.

"It's a unique chance. It's exiting. It also means something for the Danish defense, the invitation that - through me - has been extended to the defense.
It's a challenge in building on top of what I have accomplished so far militarily, but also that we all will experience living in France."

It's all backed by QMII. (Of course it is! Or they wouldn't go.)
Joachim:
»Dronningen har været meget interesseret i det også og bakket positivt op om det.«
"The Queen has been very interested and also backed up in a positive manner."

Pretty much the same from BT: https://www.bt.dk/royale/prins-joachim-derfor-flytter-vi-fra-danmark

Looks like the family had fun at the Lego movie today. Are Joachim and Marie friends with the Lego family or are they more Frederik and Mary's friends? (Although the fact they saw the film was probably purely a coincidence.)

Looks like the family had fun at the Lego movie today. Are Joachim and Marie friends with the Lego family or are they more Frederik and Mary's friends? (Although the fact they saw the film was probably purely a coincidence.)

Both Frederik and Joachim are friends with several of the Kristiansen family, who are behind Lego.

Back
Top Bottom