Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, Current Events Part 5: August 2013 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie attended a round table meeting about military education at the Danish Embassy in Paris this week:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

What is our Marie doing there?

She's the equivalent to lieutenant in the Civil Defense, and that's not something France and Denmark co-operate about.
Perhaps she was simply invited as a courtesy?

Thanks for the pictures
Always nice to see the support for Danish artist

While it sure is nice to see J&M about, I doubt it's a part of a PR strategy by the DRF, to promote the image of J&M.
We see and notice J&M these days because the rest of the DRF is in hiding somewhere.

After all Joachim is genuinely busy these days as a military attache to France. With the war in Ukraine and with Europe about to rearm heavily and with EU intending to bolster it's own defense industry massively as well as France being a major partner with DK both in regards to weapons and materiel but also in regards to current military operations, Joachim is busy.

So the stories about Joachim don't really make it to the tabloids and the weekly magazines, they make it to the business sections in the serious papers.

While it sure is nice to see J&M about, I doubt it's a part of a PR strategy by the DRF, to promote the image of J&M.
We see and notice J&M these days because the rest of the DRF is in hiding somewhere.

After all Joachim is genuinely busy these days as a military attache to France. With the war in Ukraine and with Europe about to rearm heavily and with EU intending to bolster it's own defense industry massively as well as France being a major partner with DK both in regards to weapons and materiel but also in regards to current military operations, Joachim is busy.

So the stories about Joachim don't really make it to the tabloids and the weekly magazines, they make it to the business sections in the serious papers.

Good to see them out and about getting on with things. I also wonder if Marie's work will increase as a cultural representative in the next year given the Olympics are in Paris with promoting DK in various ways. They are literally the only two DRF members being seen working these days. Benedikte is in the US all this week and there's been nothing about her trip posted by the DRF or royal tabloids. So she's basically MIA too. And who knows where M&F are or QMII either for that matter.

tbh, I don't see Marie being overly busy. Yes, Joachim due to his job but not Marie. It is autumn holidays for the CP couple kids, and I'm glad they are getting some quiet time as a family.

Last edited:
H.R.H. Brigadier General Prince Joachim and H.R.H. Princess Marie participated in the renowned annual Gridiron dinner which was attended by President Biden, The Vice President, Administration, multiple members of Congress, business leaders and press.

The couple is here photographed with member of Congress and Co-Chair of the Congressional Friends of Denmark Caucus Steny Hoyer and his wife, Elaine Kamarck.

I'm not so well versed in US politics that I can tell how significant this annual dinner is. Perhaps some of our American members can enlighten us? :unsure:

The verage American has no clue about the Gridiron Club and Foundation.
It's an event where politicians and the press Corps get to cozy up and mingle.

I'm not sure why Joachim and Marie are present or why Joachim is decked out wearing Danish medals.

So... A free food event?

Thanks for your reply. ;)

So... A free food event?

Thanks for your reply. ;)
It's a big deal. Longstanding, all of DC’s power brokers go, nothing where POTUS attends is low-key, ever…

The similar event socially would be if they attend the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, but that may have slightly fewer people to schmooze.

Jokke is there in his military/diplomatic capacity and, again, the President is there, so why wouldn’t he be in uniform with medals?

It's a big deal. Longstanding, all of DC’s power brokers go, nothing where POTUS attends is low-key, ever…

The similar event socially would be if they attend the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, but that may have slightly fewer people to schmooze.

Jokke is there in his military/diplomatic capacity and, again, the President is there, so why wouldn’t he be in uniform with medals?
Joachim is NOT a politician. He holds no public office in the United States of America nor does her represent any constituents in any of the US' 50 states or her territories.
Joachim is neither a member of the press Corp. He does not write for the Atlanta Journal Consititution.

Because the US President attends an event doesn't mean Joachim must be there and certainly not in his Danish medals.

Now if the event was about the defense industry or the Danish embassy/ambassador then yes Joachim's presence and his medals would be rightly warranted.

Joachim is NOT a politician. He holds no public office in the United States of America nor does her represent any constituents in any of the US' 50 states or her territories.
Joachim is neither a member of the press Corp. He does not write for the Atlanta Journal Consititution.

Because the US President attends an event doesn't mean Joachim must be there and certainly not in his Danish medals.

Now if the event was about the defense industry or the Danish embassy/ambassador then yes Joachim's presence and his medals would be rightly warranted.
Joachim may not be a politician or a journalist but I am sure he was there because he was invited.
This seems to be a networking event, so his presence is not warranted but understandable IMO.
As for wearing his medals, I don't know enough about protocol to have a qualified opinion but he is a military attache in the Danish embassy, so it's perhaps not totally out of place.

Last edited:
The Gridiron Dinner is the annual event (and fundraiser) of the Gridiron Club, which is an exclusive group for journalists. It always drew big names because it was off the record — politicos and newsmakers could make comments and participate in skits without anything being reported. These days that’s pretty much gone because of social media. It’s really not the big deal it once was.

It’s invitation-only, and about 600 people attend, mainly politicians, diplomats, and journalists.

Joachim's attire was entirely appropriate for the event. (I've attended it in the past.) It's black tie and/or gala military uniforms.

Back
Top Bottom