Prince Joachim & Family Visit Greenland: March 18-23, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
Apart from a brief account of Mary's birthday and the Regent Couple meeting the press in Bahrain this weeks issue of Billed Bladet is almost entirely dedicated to our Marie.
I'll post the summaries here and leave it to the moderators to decide whether some should be moved to other more specific topics.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #06, 2011.
Nikolai og Felix på hundeslæde - Nikolai and Felix riding dogsledge.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

La Marie and Joachim along with Nikolai and Felix (there is no specific mentioning of bette Henrik) will go to Greenland next month. Along with belle Marie's LiW, Britt Siesbye and Joachim's sekretariatschef (= the court official who handle events involving J&M), Kurt Bache they will stay at Hotel Arctic in the town of Illulissat. And it's from here they will go on a dogsledge ride.
The head of Illulissat municipality, Henrik Rafn, is looking forward to the visit but the shedule has not yet been determined. (*)

After visiting Illulissat the royal party will go to Nuuk, the capital of Greenland, and here Joachim will attend a meeting in the Royal Greenland Foundation, which is managed/administrated by a close friend of the CP couple, Elisabeth von Buchwald. Joachim however is the chairman.

- It is as far as I know the first time the fair Marie, Nikolai and Felix will visit Greenland and they are in for an experience! In mid March there is plenty of snow left, that will be absolutely no problem! But more to the point the dark polar days have ended.
When you go to Greenland you either fall helplesly in love in the country or you go stir crazy, there appear to nothing in between.

(*) Since both Britt Siesbye and Kurth Bache will go, I think it's safe to assume that there will be some official events.

Last edited:
When you go to Greenland you either fall helplesly in love in the country or you go stir crazy, there appear to nothing in between.
That´s right - I´ve learned that from my parents who have lived for in Greenland for 2 years. It´s due to the beauty and greatness of the country.

Muhler, welcome back! Hope you enjoyed your holiday. You were missed:)

I'm so glad that Marie & Joachim's boys will have a chance to visit. Hopefully in the future they will also visit the Faroes Islands

I'm so glad that Marie & Joachim's boys will have a chance to visit. Hopefully in the future they will also visit the Faroes Islands

Joachim and Alex's boys ... and Joachim and Marie's boy ... ;)

The visit date has been announced, the visit will take place from March 18-23.
Has it been confirmed if the boys would be going as well other than the BB article?

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2011.
Marie får sin nationaldragt - Marie will get her national costume.
Written by Henrik Salling.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/3/Nu%20far%20ogsa%20prinsesse%20Marie%20sin%20nationaldragt.aspx

As you know Joachim, la Marie, Felix and Nikolai (*) will go to Greenland tomorrow Friday and stay there for a few days.
The visit is private, but with a few public duties thrown in as well.

The Greenland administration (home rule) gave J&M a trip to Greenland as a wedding present and now this present is being used.

However at some point grants from the Nikolai and Felix Foundation will be handed out and this will be the first time we will see our Marie in a Greenlandic national costume.

That costume is expensive, takes a lot of work to make and I understand it's not that comfortable to wear.
It's very colorful and perhaps a Greenlandic member of this forum can tell us something about whether the patterns have a special significanse?

(*) There is no mentioning of bette Henrik.

Last edited:
First pictures from the visit :flowers:

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix visiting Ilulissat museum during the visit in Greenland
PPE Agency

:previous:

That site also has a picture gallery of the visit at the museum:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Familien Joachim på museum **

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:
Nice to see Nikolai and Felix being boys.

The museum visit was about Isefjorden, where the family will soon go out by dogsledge. They also tasted dried fish, which is used to feed both dogs and humans on long sledgerides.

Last edited:

Thank you, Marika86 :flowers:

Yes, that's from their dog sledge ride on Isefjorden. - Which appear to be not that private after all.
I've noticed before that the Greenlanders more often than not get very close to members of the DRF.
They have also all of them been issued with full seal skin suits (as were others in the back ground), which is a very sensible thing to do in Greenland. Even though I understand Greenland has had a very mild winter this year. - Another thing is that the Greenlanders may not be that displeased with members of the DRF being seen wearing fur suits of Greenland Seal. There are still a number of traditional hunters who hunt seal, both for meat but also the skin.

Canadian members of this board, please correct me if wrong. I understand that Greenlandic dog sledges are pulled with the dogs spread out in a fan in front of the sledge, while Canadian dog spans form more of a row in front of the sledge.

Last edited:
Thank you, Marika86 :flowers:

Yes, that's from their dog sledge ride on Isefjorden. - Which appear to be not that private after all.
I've noticed before that the Greenlanders more often than not get very close to members of the DRF.
They have also all of them been issued with full seal skin suits (as were others in the back ground), which is a very sensible thing to do in Greenland. Even though I understand Greenland has had a very mild winter this year. - Another thing is that the Greenlanders may not be that displeased with members of the DRF being seen wearing fur suits of Greenland Seal. There are still a number of traditional hunters who hunt seal, both for meat but also the skin.

Canadian members of this board, please correct me if wrong. I understand that Greenlandic dog sledges are pulled with the dogs spread out in a fan in front of the sledge, while Canadian dog spans form more of a row in front of the sledge.

Not quite the case Muhler! It depends on the terrain where the dogs are travelling. Normally, Canadian Inuit use the fan hitch like their Greenlandic cousins. However, where the trail is more narrow, e.g. the Alaskan Iditarod race that is being run as I write! The Official Site of the Iditarod®
the tandem hitch is used. Indeed very courageous of Prince Joachim and his family to wear seal! We get into a lot of trouble here in Canada about that particular animal.....:bang::whistling::sad:

Not quite the case Muhler! It depends on the terrain where the dogs are travelling. Normally, Canadian Inuit use the fan hitch like their Greenlandic cousins. However, where the trail is more narrow, e.g. the Alaskan Iditarod race that is being run as I write! The Official Site of the Iditarod®
the tandem hitch is used. Indeed very courageous of Prince Joachim and his family to wear seal! We get into a lot of trouble here in Canada about that particular animal.....:bang::whistling::sad:

Thanks for the infor, Gerry. :)

Seal skin export and preserving some remnants of the traditional hunter culture is considered an importnat thing in Greenland. So that's basically what the DRF is promoting.
Apart from that the seals are eaten anyway, so they might just as well use the skin as well.

Yes, the greenlanders are not just hunting the seals for the skin, they use the whole animal - as I think the canadian inuits does :)

Last edited:
Republican tabloid Ekstra Bladet raised its ugly head again because Marie asked not to be photographed while munching on some Greenlandic speciality! It goes without saying that EB took a picture of Marie eating and published it... :bang:

Viv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom