Prince Joachim and Family Summer Holidays: 2012-2018, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Athena is just such a little cutie! Can't wait to pick up the magazine tomorrow.

Such a cutie little girl! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Sitting here in the shade :cool: it's time for a feel-good story.

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #30, 2012.
Athena smiler hele tiden – Athena smiles all the time.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Princess Marie and Prince Joachim loves to be on vacation in France and so too do their altogether four children. However it’s only six months old Athena who is with her parents when Billed Bladet meets the Prince and Princess at the Regent Couple’s wine-chateau, Cayx, where they are on vacation and enjoys the sun.
- “Henrik is crossed today and a little impossible because he yesterday had to say goodbye to his older brothers, Nikolai and Felix, who were flying home. He thought it was unfair that his best playmates were going”, tells Prince Joachim with an overbearing smile when the princely couple is strolling up from the wine yards in front of the chateau with their little daughter Athena on the arm.
- “When he’s like that we wouldn’t pressure him but he’ll be good again soon enough”, says Princess Marie about her three-year-old son, who just adores his two half brothers.
- “He thinks they are utterly fantastic a lot of fun to be with. And they are also very fond of him”, tells Prince Joachim, who the day before drove his two oldest sons to Toulouse, so that they could fly home to Denmark after a little more than ten days in France.
Princess Athena on the other hand is in a super-mood. Completely unaffected by the heat and very trusting and curious towards strangers, she sits on the arm of her mother wearing a flowery sun-hat and matching summer dress, that reveals gorgeous well-nourished baby-arms and legs and wearing a big charming smile.
When we say hello and say her name, she smiles even more and happily wave arms and legs, while her little tongue fly back and forth in the mouth, because she is having teeth.
- “Well, she’s a happy little one”, says Joachim and adds lovingly:
- “She has really landed well. She can certainly be determined and that’s fine too, but she’s just quite incredibly happy, easy and calm. She’s actually been that from the beginning”, says the Prince and look utterly in love at his little daughter, whose easy temper he praises highly.
- “Yes, she’s very happy, she’s always smiling. From morning till the evening, that’s so lovely”, says Princess Marie who can get the little Princess laughing just by looking at her – and visa versa. The chemistry and the tight loving bond between mother and daughter cannot be mistaken.

The lovely, relaxed and happy holiday-mood is easy to sense with Princess Marie, Prince Joachim and their little daughter, Athena, who just sits contend and laughs in the arms of her mother and father, while they stroll in the wine yards in front of the chateau Cayz in France, where the weather only during the last week on the holiday has become sunny and warm.
- “But it has been total enjoyment. Wonderful days in both good and bad weather. But lately the swimming pool has been red hot”, says Prince Joachim and tells that the whole family enjoy being at the chateau.
Especially Nikolai and Felix really feel at home here. It is after all farmor and farfar’s (paternal grandparents) chateau, but to them Cayz is really “at home”. “They just have such a cosy time, when we are here”, tells Prince Joachim and adds:
- “And Athena seems to enjoy France just as much as we do”.

Q: Whom do you think she resembles?
- “Well, my family thinks she looks like me as a baby”, says Princess Marie. – “But I think she looks more like her father. She has also turned out more fair, just like Prince Joachim was…. And then she has Felix’ eyes, the same colour and shape”, says Princess Marie who also tells that the little Princess’ eyes was one of the reasons that the Prince and she chose the name Athena.
- We have always been very fond of that name, but it really suits her well. Right from when she was born she had something special in her gaze, some very strong eyes”, says the Princess about her Athena, who is named after a Greek goddess, the daughter of Zeus and goddess for wisdom, science, craftsmanship, art and war.
There isn’t much war in the family, because Athena’s siblings as well love their little sister. There is not even jealousy, says Prince Joachim.
- “Prince Henrik is very aware of his responsibility as a big brother. Of course he had to get used to a new agenda because he has been used to be more alone with us, but he is very fond of Athena and there is not the slightest jealousy. He is really sweet towards her and very interested and (he) doesn’t say baby, but call her Athena, we take that as an expression of full acceptance”, laughs the Prince.
- “At the same time it’s not only a pleasure, but also an advantage that Athena is so easy and calm. Because Prince Henrik can sense that when she is calm, happy and contend, then that gives him more time with us. Not that he doesn’t get his time. That he does, absolutely, because he is still only three years”, says Prince Joachim about his lovely children, who are so fine among themselves, despite the difference in age.
- “That’s a big, big delight. And Nikolai and Felix are exemplary older brothers for their little brother and the biggest idols for their little brother. That’s also why he was so upset with them going home before him”, laughs the Prince lovingly guides his wife (*) and little daughter into the garden, so that they can get inside and have a cosy time with Prince Henrik and get him in holiday-mood again.

(*) Trine Larsen is here naturally using the formal word for wife.
Formal word = hustru.
Informal word = kone.

There are four pictures of Athena in the article, of those three are detailed. He tongue is all over the place and her eyes are smiling.

Joachim and our Marie will also go to the Olympics at some point. This will be her first Olympics.

Trine Larsen also covers the official pictures of Prince Felix on the occasion of his tenth birthday. A now familiar photographer, Steen Brogaard, made these pics.
Joachim says about his son: “Ten years! Yes, that’s fantastic! And incredible, how time flies.
Felix is simply a lovely boy. Utterly fantastic, if I may say so myself! Bright and alert… yes, both are, both Felix and Nikolai, and then they are each other’s best friends and have always been so. Felix is very much looking up to Nikolai and for that I’m certainly not sorry. If Nikolai had been a brat, then I might worry, but he is in no way that.
I’m both proud and happy that Felix has him as a role model. That also means that Felix is very social and he has a lot of very good friends. He has a loving temper and that he now also has status of older brother is something he is incredibly pleased with. He is enormously good and very patient with his little brother, and (he is) perhaps also closer to Henrik than Nikolai, because the difference in age isn’t that big”.

Last edited:
:previous:
What a nice article, Muhler.
I love how lovingly Joachim and Marie spoke of the four children in their family, especially of the close bond between Nikolai, Felix and Henrik.

And what can be said of little Athena? She's adorable and it's clear everyone dots on her. :)

A very nice article, but I am puzzled. Why were they on vacation and not at Grasten? I suppose Grasten is NOT considered a command performance for the DRF, but still - should they not be there? Or they fading in importance as Frederik and Mary's family grows?

Princess Peach said:
A very nice article, but I am puzzled. Why were they on vacation and not at Grasten? I suppose Grasten is NOT considered a command performance for the DRF, but still - should they not be there? Or they fading in importance as Frederik and Mary's family grows?

You said it, it's not a command. They obviously holiday when convenient with family matters so for Joachim and Marie it happened to coincide with the week of the Gratsen photocall.

I think it's the only time they could get away before being back in Denmark for Joachim to be regent and then attending the Olympics.

They might have wanted to spend some time alone in France because it's Athena's first summer and because Nikolai and Felix apparently only could be with them for ten days.

I'll add this quote by Joachim:

Said to BB's Trine Larsen about J&M going to the Olympics for a couple of days:
- "It would otherwise by a great pity when the Olympics, so to speak, takes place in the backyard. So fortunately we have succeeded to find a few days where that can fit the schedule (*) and where my moster (maternal aunt), Princess Benedikte can take over.
She too has a big interest in among other things equestrian and (she) would like to see Princess Nathalie compete at the Olympics. But the puzzle was laid, so that Princess Marie and I also can go.
The Princess has never experienced an Olympics, so that'll be exciting and we are very much looking forward".

(*) Also keep in mind that the harvest season has begun here in DK, so Joachim will have plenty to do at Schackenborg as well.
Unfortunately there has been a drought in USA and Russia, so the prices for corn are way up, making this years harvest even more important here in DK.

You are welcome Princess Peach & Artemisia.

BB is up.

Thanks for the pictures. She is a cute little girl, loving the hat on her.
Any idea where Henrik was?

:previous:

Muhler has already answered that with the translation of the Billed-Bladet article above, see post 5 , Prince Henrik had been a bit bad-tempered and they had not wanted to strain him with the photo session.

Athena is a beautiful little girl and her parents look really happy and relaxed in these photos.

Joachim, Marie, Henrik and Athena arrived in France for their summer holidays yesterday, July 4. The kids are cute as a button :)

** gallery **

Joachim, Marie, Henrik and Athena arrived in France for their summer holidays yesterday, July 4. The kids are cute as a button :)

** gallery **

Lovely pics. Nice to see little Athena again. :flowers:
I did not like the pics of Joachim smoking with his young kids near by, but oh well :whistling:

it appears like prince joachim and family have hold their own photosession some day last week Se billederne af Joachim, Marie og børnene på Cayx - HER&NU but as a average Dane i sometimes dont understand prince joachims role in the drf, isnt it a bit "much" for a prince couple to hold their own private photosession on holiday especially when the yearly photosession at gråsten with the rest of the royal family is already in next week.

Thanks MaggieDenmark :flowers:

This pic of Athena score high on the cute list: Se Joachim og Marie og børnene på slottet i Cayx - HER&NU :cool:
Chic, it must be her French blood.
Perhaps only surpassed by this pic, which is off the marks on the aww list: http://www.herognu.com/gallerier/Royalt/Se-Joachim-/?img=/PageFiles/636175/15.jpg

I don't think it's too much.
Partly because there is a genuine interest in J&M and their children, not least while they are young.
But also because they lessen the burden on M&F.

If Joachim and our Marie had chosen to step further away from the limelight, there would be an increased pressure on M&F - and constantly. The current gentleman's agreements may not continue if that was so.

Also, the Regent Couple won't be around forever, by then there will be an even greater pressure on M&F, so it's fine that J&M take their share.
The magazines get their and the DRF are left pretty much alone for the rest of the holiday. That works fine

Apart from that, J&M actually do a good deal of work, so naturally they should be covered.

Last edited:
of course, but sometimes prince joachim and family seems to make more photosessions than the regent couple and crown prince family, maybe it is just me :) i just dont see this in other royal families.

of course, but sometimes prince joachim and family seems to make more photosessions than the regent couple and crown prince family, maybe it is just me :) i just dont see this in other royal families.

To an extent I'll agree with you. Felix and Nikolai are older, they have simply been around longer and being older, it's more natural to take them along to something. - Also, they get double exposure, since they often accompany Alexandra to an event.
But at least it isn't like in the old days where Joachim and Alexandra almost competed about the most idylic photosessions. :whistling:
Now that they have both settled in their new lives that doesn't seem to be necessary anymore.

The J&M family get exposure because children sell, if for no other reason.

The current balance is I think fine. Both J&M and M&F have two photosessions a year, summer and winter holidays.
And then inbetween when they are on the job or a photographer catch them on the streets.
I think this is where the difference lie in comparing the DRF to other European RF's. Some other RF's tend to be more closed regarding the children.

I think we will eventually see the same phenomenon in Sweden as here in DK, once Carl Phillip have children. - Right now the Swedish press are going completely gaga about Princess Estelle! Once Carl Phillip has a child or two to show off, that will hopefully lessen the burden and demand on Victoria and Daniel.
I don't count Madeleine because I believe her family will spend most of their time in USA anyway and the exposure will be limited.

I just love this family. They are all very fotogenic.

I don't count Madeleine because I believe her family will spend most of their time in USA anyway and the exposure will be limited.
Chris and Madeleine plan to live in Europe

Lovely pictures, but now i wonder if Joachim and family will be at the July 26 photo shoot? maybe he cant make it this year and thats why they offer their own photo session?

I would love it if Frederik and Mary did a photo session in their holidays as well, but maybe that is too much?

Chris and Madeleine plan to live in Europe
I stand corrected. :)

I would love it if Frederik and Mary did a photo session in their holidays as well, but maybe that is too much?

Not if you ask me.

A say ten minutes photo session at Tisvilde, would in my mind be preferable to the photographers standing 100 meters away with telelenses. - Because we do want the pics, eh?

Nothing is happening in July anyway, so a session with J&M, another with M&F and the big show at Gråsten would cover three otherwise dull weeks - and everybody is happy. - And it would be easier for the magazines not to give in to the temptation to publish semi-paparazzi photos.

Last edited:
Not if you ask me.

A say ten minutes photo session at Tisvilde, would in my mind be preferable to the photographers standing 100 meters away with telelenses. - Because we do want the pics, eh?

Nothing is happening in July anyway, so a session with J&M, another with M&F and the big show at Gråsten would cover three otherwise dull weeks - and everybody is happy. - And it would be easier for the magazines not to give in to the temptation to publish semi-paparazzi photos.

:previous:I second this idea :flowers:
But Im sure the paps and magazines would still prefer a Mary in a bathing suit. Not that i mind the shirtless pics of Frederik with his shark shorts:D;)

But anyway, love the pic of the three boys together.

:previous:I second this idea :flowers:
But Im sure the paps and magazines would still prefer a Mary in a bathing suit. Not that i mind the shirtless pics of Frederik with his shark shorts:D;)

But anyway, love the pic of the three boys together.

Yes, but taking pictures of Mary in a bathing suit, even on a public beach, without her consent, is a borderline breach of the Danish legislation regarding privacy. - The magazines have lost lawsuits on that issue before.

Even if you are celebrity, even if it's on a public beach, even if there are loads of people around you, you are, in the eyes of the courts, entitled to a degree of privacy and to be protected from being spied on.
The magazine Se & Hør lost a case last year based on exactly that. Can't remember off hand who she was, I believe it was TV host.

Lovely pictures, but now i wonder if Joachim and family will be at the July 26 photo shoot? maybe he cant make it this year and thats why they offer their own photo session?

If not mistaken, Joachim and Marie every summer have a small picture session and a short interview while on holiday. Two years ago (if I remember correct) there was pictures of them walking around the town and they were interviewed.

Lovely photos. Little Athena is a charmer, so is her brother Henrik. What a shame Joachim smokes near his children!

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #29, 2013.
Written by Trine Larsen.

BB's coverage of the photoshoot is, to put it mildly, massive!

It's interesting for two reasons. Firstly because we get a glimpse at what goe on at such a photoshoot and secondly because of the news we get about the children. And this time it's mainly Joachim who is doing the talking.

The photoshoot took place at 14th July and the press had gathered at the souvenir shop next to the chateau. Here Joachim first came down alone and greeted the press: "Good day (formal greeting) and welcome to Cahor and the good weather". After having given a few surprised Danish tourists permission to also take pictures, he explains that the family will be slightly delayed: "That's how it is with children, it's not easy to plan, but we are ready in a moment".

Joachim returns to the chateau and a few minutes later that gate to the garden open and out walks Nikolai, only to have the gate slammed shut behind him - so he can face the press alone. He laughs and so does Joachim: "Gotcha, eh"?
But the rest of the family joins him. Athena is in charge of mother's lipgloss, but decides she would rather stand, somewhat precarious, behind her older brother, Henrik.
Finally, with considerable difficulty the whole family face the photographers - except for Apple, the white Canis Oddicus, which is standing with it's behind facing the press. Joachim turns the creature around. But now bette Henrik decides he would rather stand like his brothers. - Okay.
But Henrik is shy, so he is encouraged by our Marie: "Smile...Henrik, won't you smile"? And he sort of smiles, leading the family to crack up.

After reminding a still very shy bette Henrik that he must remember to shake hands with the press like his brothers, the family retreats into the garden, where there is more shade, for more pics. And here the otherwise confident Athena become shy from all the attention and seek refuge in mothers arms. She grabs mother's sunglasses. Cool!

Bette Henrik is still very shy, until he is encouraged to get into the golfcar the family use at the estate with his brothers. A transformed boy! Big smiles and not the least bit shy anymore.

Athena is of course getting a lot of attention. Marie tells us: "She's such a lovely girl and very, very easy and happy. She smiles almost all the time and when she isn't doing it right now, it's because there are som new people she has to size up first but she's never afraid of strangers. She's actually very social.
Yes, she's very lovely, you want to kiss her and I do that all day long.
Yes, she began to walk a couple of months ago. She is still holding on to things but she can stand and walk on her own, she just doesn't know it yet. So often she would like a hand for support, but she can easily cope on her own.
But she certainly has a temper, make no mistake of that. And she has learned to say no".

Athena's eyes are greenish, just like her brother Henrik's, observes our reporter

Joachim is asked whether there is a difference in temperament between Athena and the boys. Joachim: "Yes! She's so much calmer. She's certainly a girl, so it's no like we get more peace because of that, but in her way she's certainly calmer. And yet, balls and cars are the thing for her right now".

So Athena has been smitten?
J: (Laughing) "Yes, it's probably more because she sees the toys around her at home which her brothers use and grabs it. She'll end up playing with doll, no doubt about that but for now she's mostly influenced by Henrik, who inherited it from the other two".

But now that she has learned to walk, tranquillity is over?
J: "You got it. So far she hasn't been so mobile and as such she has been an easy little thing, but now we'll see, when she's learning to stand on her own two legs and what that brings... but there is spunk in her, that's for sure".

It's hot at Chateau Cayx! 37 degrees C (Bodytemperature, for those who are not well versed in using Celcius). The family spend most of the time in or around the swimming pool. Mostly the boys and with a lot of noise and wild activity! Bette Henrik is now a pretty good swimmer - with wings.
Athena, contends herself with watching the boys in safety as her mother. Marie explains: "Oh I have been (a waterhound). But now there no longer is room enough in the pool; that's for the boys.
No, they make a lot of noise and splash quite a lot but that's just lovely. That's how it is with boys. And Athena thinks it's really funny, so she's just sitting and watching the rest".

Joachim adds that the boys get along fine - but ear protection would sometimes come in handy. And they have no plans about having more children.
Felix will celebrate his 11th birthday here at Cayx and asking Felix how he would like to celebrate his birthday, Felix repsonds: "I don't know yet. I really haven't got any wishes...well, perhaps driving a gocart. That could be fun! Dad... gocart"!

But there is lot of French relatives around, so they will be invited for the B-day.

As you know Felix cut himself while in Turkey with Alexandra and needed stitches to his calf. Joachim: "Fortunately it isn't so bad. We can charaterise it as a summer-injury. It's a scratch...Well, perhaps a little more than a scratch, but that's what happens. It's happened to all of us and it won't be the last time. He was a trip by the hospital down there to be checked but apart from that he's fine. (That's confirmed by Felix nearby).
Yes, and it probably won't be the last time he or others here get injured. You just know that when you've got sons. And I remember it from myself. As long as you don't suffer permanent after effects from it, or fracture someting or get more seriously injured, it's manageble".

But Joachim and Marie also find time for themselves. Apart from visiting family in southern France, or having a BBQ on the terrace/patio (*). They have something to help with the cooking, because Joachim admits to be helpless in a kitchen, but he enjoyes shopping for the groceries. Which they do in the town of Cahors nearby.
When speaking together: "Yes, Prince Henrik of course speaks French, but he prefers Danish, funnily enough", laughs Marie.

Marie and Joachim speak a mix of French and Danish between themselves. Joachim: "We speak a mix of it all. We don't distinguish between the languages, so it's mixed up naturally and we really don't think about it. But I guess we mostly speak French together".
Felix and Nikolai understand a good deal of French but they don't master it yet. They are however fluent in English. Nikolai is learning French at school but it ain't easy! Nikolai: "I try, but I think it's really difficult".

There are advantages in having two older children to lok after and wear out their younger siblings, explains Joachim. The two oldest are granted more responsibillity, also in looking after the younger. So he and Marie can get some relaxation time, especially in the evening when the two youngest chash in bed.

(*) Bear with us Danes when we write terrace when we mean patio, because patio = terrasse in Danish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom