Nikolai and Felix: Future Possibilities and Options

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julia

Royal Highness
I know this is so far into the future it's not even funny, but what can you all see Nikolai and Felix doing as adults and who could you see them marrying? Just a fun question to pose. :p

Julia

How about this:

HH Prince Nikolai of Denmark & HRH Princess Elisabeth of Belguim.
HH Prince Felix of Denmark & Countess Eloise of Orange-Nassau

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Well...I don't know who they will marry (because who does, really!) :p

BUT I think they will have their share of fame much like the Queen's grandkids. The press eats up the going ons in William, Harry, Peter, and Zara's private lives because they are young and good looking. Basically, they make good press fodder! :lol:

If Frederik doesn't have children any time soon, I can definitely see these boys emerging in the spotlight. Lets say Fred doesn't have kids for five more years, Nikolai will be eight years older than his cousin, the heir to the Danish throne.

While his cousin will be "more important" to the country, Nikolai will be older. When he is 18, his cousin will only be 10! :blink: So, I can defintely see people wondering who they are dating and what they will study, etc, etc.

I wonder if the boys will marry into royalty? Their mother is a "commoner", so I doubt they worry too much about the royalty issue. Also, I wonder if the boys will be more free to marry people from different backgrounds and races, considering their mother grew up in Hong Kong?

-Mirth

I can't picture their parents throwing a fit about nationality. Religion, maybe, as the boys will be in line for the throne.
I think in the next few generations we will see royalty going back to marrying royalty. The current crop has just added a bit to the gene pool, so they can go back to the royal-royal connection.

I think they will study for a degree and work for a living
maybe help out some with royal duties....

hi.will princess alexandra's boys become counts of rosenborg if they wed commoners. this seems to be the family tradition. due you think it would cause a rift in the family if they were allowed to keep their royal status while noone else has.

princess alexandra do you mean Princess Benedikte dougtier Alexandra, Princess zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg,

Originally posted by kcc@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 9:06 am
hi.will princess alexandra's boys become counts of rosenborg if they wed commoners. this seems to be the family tradition. due you think it would cause a rift in the family if they were allowed to keep their royal status while noone else has.
It´s up for the Queen or the King to decide that.
But it is tru that if af prince or princesse her in denmark are married to a common he or she will be a count or countess og Rosenborg.
You can se it with H.E. count Ingolf,H.E. count Christian and the late H.E. count Flemming of Rosenborg.
But agin it is up to the Queen or The King to decide that.

I think it depends wheather the girl is a dane or a foreigner. If Nikolai or Felix marries a dane, I think it very likely that they will become counts of Rosenborg, just so you don't get a lot of princes running around. Another reason is that when they're created counts they loose their rights to the throne. and they probably won't "be needed", as Frederik and Mary hopefully get children.

why are forign brides more acceptable. is it to keep potentialy embarassing inlaws(like a certain norwegian father in law)at a distance.thats understandable but doesn't that tweak the danish sense of pride .

It's not a case of foreign brides being more acceptable.
If they refuse to ask permission, they got downgraded to Count of Rosenborg.
Doesn't matter if they were marrying a Danish girl or a girl from another country. And if the monarch refuses permission, and they marry that person anyway, they lose their place in the succession.
If Joachim and Alexandra's sons marry without consent of the monarch (either their grandmom or their uncle) then they lose their place in the succession and will (most likely) become counts of Rosenborg. If they marry with the monarch's permission, then they stay HH, Prince of Denmark.

Is being a count or countess of Rosenberg the only title given to this Danish royals?

I mean, take a look at other royal families, their members have other titles aside from being a prince or princess.

Just like Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, aside from being the crown princess she is also the Duchess of Vastergotland? Same with Princess Madeleine and other royals.

Fireweaver wrote "If Joachim and Alexandra's sons marry without consent of the monarch (either their grandmom or their uncle) then they lose their place in the succession and will (most likely) become counts of Rosenborg. If they marry with the monarch's permission, then they stay HH, Prince of Denmark."
It's not only a matter of marrying with or without the monarch's permission, if by the time HRH Prince Nikolai and HRH Prince Felix reach maturity, HRH Prince Frederik has secured the succession. (By producing an heir or several) Then the princes will be downgraded to counts of Rosenborg. And they may be downgraded at later date if the monarch finds it prudent to do so. It is the policy of the Danish Court that there shouldn't be any more HRH's than necessary. Keeping the core of the royal family small has proved politically sound and helped to minimize criticism from the Danish people.

I've never seen a member with Dynastic rights being downgraded. Princess Elizabeth isn't downgraded, and she is "only" the grandchild of a former King. I truly think it does have to do with Succession rights. Also, Princess Benedikte did not become a Countess of Rosenborg even though Margrethe has secured the succession.

To Fireweaver: HRH Princess Benedikte did not get downgraded because she is the child of King Frederik IX and she maintained her place in the succesion. By the time that HH Princess Elisabeth's siblings got married and were demoted to counts of Rosenborg, there was talk of doing the same to her even though she remained single. Due to her great service to the country and the royal family it was never done and she to has maintained her place in the succesion..
The question of demotion rest solely with the monarch, and it is usually done when the demotee reaches the age of 21, is married or when the country gets a new monarch. The practice with demoting royals will surely continue as HM Queen Margrethe has spoken of the importance of having a small royal family, something which she learned from her parents, and which she will be sure to have taught HRH Prince Frederik.

By the way the title of Count of Rosenborg was invented by King Frederik VIII as an alias when he wanted to travel incognito.

Her siblings were demoted due to their marriages to people that weren't accepted by the monarch (or they didn't ask permission). It had nothing to do with a small Royal Family.
And anyway, the RF will still be small.
Crown Prince Frederik (next king) And CP Mary (future Queen)
HRH Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandria
HH Prince Felix
HH Prince Nikolai
HRH However many children Frederik and Mary have. Still rather small.

Objection!!! That is simply not true Fireweaver, you might want to read up on your Danish post-war history. The demotion was agreed upon by King Frederik IX and his brother Arveprins Knud. Largely because The King wished to trim the royal family in order not to seem extravagant. At the time the Danish monarchy was in real peril, more than 40% of the population wanted the monarch to be replaced by a president upon King Frederik IX's death. A small royal family was a move to counter the objections made about the monarchy being an anachronism and symbol of the class-divided society. King Frederik IX and Oueen Ingrid always wanted to be percieved as a model-family living in (and ruling) a model society.
Danish post-war history books such as those written by Prof. Palle Lauring or Paul Hammerich will tell you just how wrong you are.

Schaekenborg near Tonder is almost as far as you can get away from Copenhagen in Denmark.

How do Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra travel to their official engagements in Copenhagen?

Do their children travel separately or in tow to acquaint grandmother about their latest goings on ?

Could we have some travel pictures here?

Some comments as to how they travel, would be nice too. I don't see them flying too much, and train seems to most logical since its more eco-friendly than the car. But that would mean they have a car based in Copenhagen the whole time, or do they avail themselves to the Royal Fleet ?

I don't really know, but I can't imagine them catching the train to get to their engagements, can you?

For one, there's the security risks... and there aren't many pics of her hopping off the train (I've never seen one).... and plus, well, I just cant see them doing it. But then again apparently Alexandra's always wanted a chauffer, so unless Joachim and her share a driver now then.... maybe someone from Copenhagen picks her up?

oh well!

im sure grandmother from Japan or Korea? but i think the kids wanted see grandmother really bad than parents going state trips without kids to see grandmother that not fair for children!

Sara Boyce

p.s. takes the kids!!

We think they drive to Copenhagen! That would probably be the easiest!

And we do know that they sometimes just visit Copenhagen to visit friends and family and so! They have their own apartment at Amalienborg and in a few years from now they will have 1 of the 4 palaces there (the one Frederik used to live in!)!!!

Does the monarch family have a private Helicopter for traveling (at least for the essentials one), since the government of some of other country provide it for national duty of their president; or the rich often has that kind of luxurious private transportation for saving time on their trip.

I'm pretty sure that the queen has no actual private helicopter, but if needed, she can use one belonging to the military.

Their maternal grandmother is from Austria, and currently living at Schackenborg.

Their paternal grandmother is the queen, who lives at Amalienborg for large periods of the year. I would presume that they either drive, or, drive to the closest airport and fly. It doesn't take long from Kastrup Airport to Amalienborg.

sara1981 said:
oh well!

im sure grandmother from Japan or Korea? but i think the kids wanted see grandmother really bad than parents going state trips without kids to see grandmother that not fair for children!

Sara Boyce

p.s. takes the kids!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the kids won't have to worry about long bus, train rides, or flights to Copenhagen anymore since they'll be living at Amalienborg with Alexandra. I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa will enjoy having the boys close to them.

I'm pretty sure the grandparents will.
I also hope that their dad will visit them or contact them quite often then they won't miss him alot.
Norwegianne said:
I'm pretty sure that the queen has no actual private helicopter, but if needed, she can use one belonging to the military.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom