The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
Marie's Danish Lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor View Post
Thanks for the article GlitteringTiaras. Can you maybe translate part of it for the non-danish readers among us

When I have a chance, no problem. Unless someone else would like to do the honors?

There is another article and cover shot of Marie on this week's Se og Hor. Now they are claiming that she isn't really interested in learning Danish. Allegedly she noted that so far, hence since her engagement announcement back in October, she has only recieved six hours of Danish lessons a month. I believe it came from her interview with Point du Vue magazine in which she stated:

Quote:
In practice how did things go?

With regard to the language, for instance, I have to admit that I haven't made much progress. It must be said that my courses take place in Copenhagen while I spent most of my time at Schackenborg, Joachim's castle, which is not very near the capital. Which made that for the moment because of spending only about 6 hours per month on learning the language, I have just mastered the basics. It's a very difficult language, it has a very special pronounciation. But it doesn't worry me too much: once I will get immersed in the country; everything will go very fast then, I think.
I sure hope it is simple a language barrier translation thingy or something even though "allegedly" the interview was in French. Then translated into Danish. Anyway...apparently, Se og Hor is P.O.'d about this noting that she is essentially giving the "friendly finger" to the Danes and demostrating her sheer laziness and attitude towards the Danish people, culture, and language.

They sure are stretching it. Why they are so hell bent on sticking it to Marie is beyond me. Personally speaking, it is quite clear they don't like her, and are making darn sure she and everyone else in Denmark knows it. So childish.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2008, 03:36 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
I sure hope it is simple a language barrier translation thingy or something even though "allegedly" the interview was in French. Then translated into Danish. Anyway...apparently, Se og Hor is P.O.'d about this noting that she is essentially giving the "friendly finger" to the Danes and demostrating her sheer laziness and attitude towards the Danish people, culture, and language.

They sure are stretching it. Why they are so hell bent on sticking it to Marie is beyond me. Personally speaking, it is quite clear they don't like her, and are making darn sure she and everyone else in Denmark knows it. So childish.
It's typical Se & Hør behaviour, really. They'll do the same thing to anyone, (and have) if they can sell some extra magazines from it.

I think it is an interesting case, though, because it makes it obvious that even if the basic facts are the same - some will take it and say "Marie isn't learning Danish" whereas others will take it and say "Wonderful, Marie is learning Danish.". It's been the same with all the members of the royal family (as well as other celebrities) who end up featuring in both Se & Hør and Billedbladet. There aren't really all that many "middle road" kind of magazines in Denmark.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Princess Robijn's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,557
Ofcourse by saying she hasn't many lessons yet, people won't expect that much of her Danish.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
Here is another article in regards to Marie and her skills at learning the Danish language. Just like Se og Hor, this magazine BT isn't all that impressed with her. I guess they too are jumping on the bandwagon. Besides the article the photo of her is beautiful.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,411
how is possible she does not bother to learn danish, it is the first thing she should do, if she will be a princess indenmark is the least she can do! this thing that the house is far it is not excuse! como on she has all the mony and power now for getting the things easy for her, do like maxima get a private tuttor! sorry if i look upset, i am not but i think she should to try to show a little bit more interested.
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Mandy's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,927
Just a reminder to all and welcome to this new topic:

Welcome to the new topic: Marie's Danish Lessons.

Of course, TRF Rules and FAQ still apply.
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation/infringement to post translations of entire articles. The best thing to do: Translate the article using your own words and summarize it. Just because other sites translate the entire articles, word for word, then proceed it post it -- you shouldn't. It's against the international copyright law! Furthermore, you don't want to be sued, handed a cease and desist, written about in the media, and be the one person solely responsible for shutting down TRF forever, right? So please, follow the copyright rules and all shall be golden. Even if your translations may not be perfect, at least you tried and tried to get the gist of it. That's what is important.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect... even if your opinion is vastly different from your own.
NEW RULE!:
Quote:
I received a message from a moderator saying that my post had been removed because it contained speculation. We don't know the royals and we get all our information second hand, so isn't it all speculation?

Our rule about speculation is intended to prevent tabloid-type flights of fancy which often slip into outright fantasy and sometimes even libel. While we realise that much of the information posted in the threads is based on reports in the media which we can't verify, we expect posters to base their statements on published reports rather than on wishful thinking or unsubstantiated hearsay. The forum moderators have the final say about whether posts are unacceptably speculative. Disagreements with moderator decisions must take place via private message, not by arguing in the threads and certainly not by reposting deleted material.


Have fun, enjoy, and we look forward to reading all of your varying thoughts and comments.

Mandy, Empress, Dazzling, Grim_Lady, and GT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
Ofcourse by saying she hasn't many lessons yet, people won't expect that much of her Danish.
That's definitely one way to look at it. Honestly, with the way the press was blowing up Mary's Danish knowledge before the engagement, without any solid knowledge, it would naturally lead to disappointment from Ekstrabladet/Se&Hør in retrospect. By deflating this now, I suppose the expectations on Marie might be lower.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Princess Robijn's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
That's definitely one way to look at it. Honestly, with the way the press was blowing up Mary's Danish knowledge before the engagement, without any solid knowledge, it would naturally lead to disappointment from Ekstrabladet/Se&Hør in retrospect. By deflating this now, I suppose the expectations on Marie might be lower.
That was my point I do hope it's that, because otherwise Marie would have a really bad start, both in Denmark (not speaking the language) as with the Danish people. (A Princess who doesn't "want" to learn the language well.)

I'm not saying that's what Danish people would think, I'm saying it's what the could think.

Josette
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
msleiman's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenville, United States
Posts: 443
I really think that learn Danish should have been Marie most important task. I know that the wedding is up there, but she will have to speak with with the Danish people for the rest of her life. The wedding day is only one day. Go to your Danish lessons Marie.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
madeleine victoria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: cavite, Philippines
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
I really think that learn Danish should have been Marie most important task. I know that the wedding is up there, but she will have to speak with with the Danish people for the rest of her life. The wedding day is only one day. Go to your Danish lessons Marie.
Yep, I quite agree. Learn the language and I'm pretty sure she will be loved by the Danes. THat's the first step she should take into consideration.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
princess gertrude's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 2,010
IMO, this makes me think more highly of Princess Mary, simply because, although not fluent when they announced their engagement, she could at least speak a little. It's almost 2 weeks before their marriage and it seems to me that she is not very concerned with learning the language. Also, like I've said previously, she's been dating him for what seems like forever, HELLO, let's get a clue there Marie!! Speaking from experience, my mother in law is Japanese, yet lives her in America and has for 30 years and is fluent in English, but I did learn at least a couple of phrases in Japanese. No real reason to except to see her smile. If it had been me, I'd have learned Danish long ago. Like was stated earlier, hire a private tutor!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,411
yes with all the money that they have what they are waiting for a private tuttor like maxima, i said this befor and i insist , i am even surprise the queen doesn't take action!!!! what's the matter with them????
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
BurberryBrit's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: onthenet, United States
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
IMO, this makes me think more highly of Princess Mary, simply because, although not fluent when they announced their engagement, she could at least speak a little. It's almost 2 weeks before their marriage and it seems to me that she is not very concerned with learning the language. Also, like I've said previously, she's been dating him for what seems like forever, HELLO, let's get a clue there Marie!! Speaking from experience, my mother in law is Japanese, yet lives her in America and has for 30 years and is fluent in English, but I did learn at least a couple of phrases in Japanese. No real reason to except to see her smile. If it had been me, I'd have learned Danish long ago. Like was stated earlier, hire a private tutor!
And Mary had never undertaken another language other than English! Marie is already multilingual so I would think she knows what it takes to get really good. I think though that she and Joachim mainly speak French to each other (like Mary and Fred said before that they speak mainly English together). I just remember that cute picture of Mary with a stack of Danish books.
__________________
Für Gott, Fürst und Vaterland

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2008, 10:36 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
And Mary had never undertaken another language other than English! Marie is already multilingual so I would think she knows what it takes to get really good. I think though that she and Joachim mainly speak French to each other (like Mary and Fred said before that they speak mainly English together). I just remember that cute picture of Mary with a stack of Danish books.
what other languages Marie speaks? do you still have that cute photo of Mary?
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
English, Spanish, and Italian allegedly.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
And Mary had never undertaken another language other than English
On a technicality, she did. French, in highschool...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 PM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,976
Having just warped back in time to a photo of Mary's engagement ring taken at the anouncement of the engagement on the Mary - Jewelry thread, I was a little bemused/amused to find that just under it was a caustic post regarding Mary's lack of fluency in Danish when she had been living in Denmark for 14 months!

By those rules I believe Marie is still entitled to be cut a little slack.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2008, 02:41 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Having just warped back in time to a photo of Mary's engagement ring taken at the anouncement of the engagement on the Mary - Jewelry thread, I was a little bemused/amused to find that just under it was a caustic post regarding Mary's lack of fluency in Danish when she had been living in Denmark for 14 months!

By those rules I believe Marie is still entitled to be cut a little slack.
Indeed. I think there is a difference between living in Denmark and living in Geneva when it comes to learning Danish.

That being said, I remember the court coming out and talking about their programme for learning Mary about Denmark and teaching her Danish, allegedly the same programme they used for Alexandra. (Reading Danish books, watching Danish shows like Matador, etc. only speaking Danish) I wonder if they're still using it to teach Marie…
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
Yes, but aren't her lessons physically in Denmark? She said it herself in various interviews so far that she's in Denmark on the weekends. Every weekend. Wouldn't it be a nice added bonus to have additional lessons in Geneva... then when the weekend rolls along more lessons in, you guessed it, Denmark?

Jus' sayin...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 956

The keypoint of any successful integration - not only for a princess - is the language. And therefore I would have thought that Marie studies Danish 6 hours a day (I would if I were in her shoes, I must admit I was disappointed by her statement).

And IMO Marie has 1 thing against her: Frenchman Henrik hasn't managed to master the language to the Dane's satisfaction and therefore was accused of not being interested enough. And now comes Frenchwoman Marie and tells a French magazine that she only has 6 Danish lessons a month?

Bad idea. I can already see the critical articles about her language skills 14 months from now.

__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
marie, marie cavallier, princess marie


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]