The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 11-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: n, France
Posts: 610
One is Crown Princess Mary, the other will be Princess Marie. And still, maybe Marie will be officially Princess "Marie Agathe" ? that would be nice.
__________________

__________________
  #62  
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline View Post
One is Crown Princess Mary, the other will be Princess Marie. And still, maybe Marie will be officially Princess "Marie Agathe" ? that would be nice.
Officialy she will be styled Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Marie
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Little difference between spelling:
Mary - MER-ee
and Marie - ma-REE (French), mah-REE (German)


Maybe there would start call them for example
Mary the Older and Marie the Younger or
Mary the First and Marie the Second???
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
What do you exactly mean, that she doesnt deserve the title "princess"?
I don't think that biboquinhas was saying that she did not deserve it, at least as far as I can see. Although there are not that many Danish princesses, not as many as in England, or Asian countries say, so I am not sure what he means either.
__________________
  #64  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hiawassee, United States
Posts: 620
I hope Marie has a Cinderella-style wedding dress and wedding. It would be nice if Prince Joachim's two sons stood up with him. Wonder who the Maid/Matron of honor will be ?
__________________
  #65  
Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Officialy she will be styled Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Marie
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Little difference between spelling:
Mary - MER-ee
and Marie - ma-REE (French), mah-REE (German)

Maybe there would start call them Mary the Older and Marie the Younger or Mary the First and Marie the Second???
Of course, the main difference is that the end -e in Danish is pronounced, so the names don't really sound similar at all.
__________________
  #66  
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
Of course, the main difference is that the end -e in Danish is pronounced, so the names don't really sound similar at all.
It seems that it is non-Danes who have the trouble with distinguishing between the two - the names are sufficiently different from each other in Danish.
And even if they weren't, it wouldn't be such a big deal I think. There has been two young princesses called Alexandra at the same time in the family, so a Marie and a Mary is not really a problem
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
  #67  
Old 11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
So there wouldn't be a problem if they for example will go for some event together - CPM and PM
__________________
  #68  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 469
Will Marie pick a Danish designer for her dress?

I suppose she isn't obligated too but it would be a nice gesture as she will be a Danish princess.

Any ideas of style or is that a question for another thread?
__________________
  #69  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
O.k I dind't know that! Sorry! Another Danish Princess, oh my God!!!!
They don't have that many, do they? I like it that the queen supports Jaochim and Marie on allowing the second wife the same privileges that the first had. If Alexandra had died, noone would wonder about the fact that the second wife will be princess as well. It's about time that the RFs recognize that the laws of their countries are above them. As Denmark accepts divorce, it's good that the RF does it as well. I always disliked the fact that Camilla is only called Duchess when she is the Princess of Wales as the legal wife of the prince. But finally she is presented in public in all the glamour of the wife of the prince and next king. While I guess we won't see that much of Marie and Joachim in public - seems both enjoy the peace and quiet of country life.

And I guess they'll keep Marie's appartment in Paris as a weekend resort...
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #70  
Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Palo Alto, United States
Posts: 80
I will be most interested in seeing the tiara Marie wear at her wedding. I am disappointed in the one gifted to Mary although it will be perfect someday for a young Isabella. Do you think the Queen is sorry she gave (not loaned) her tiny crown to Alexandra?
__________________
  #71  
Old 11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Hanna Regina's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currier View Post
Do you think the Queen is sorry she gave (not loaned) her tiny crown to Alexandra?
I'm not sure what you mean by tiny crown. Alexandra's tiara isn't small at all, is it??

When the Queen was looking for a tiara for Mary, the upcoming divorce of Joachim and Alexandra was most likely already known to her. I don't think it was a coinsidence that it was announced a couple of months after the Crown princely wedding instead of before. The marriage must have been over for som time at that point, considering how the couple moved on.
The Queen must have been aware that a family heirloom from her grandmother would disappear from the family, and that might have effected her desicion to buy a tiara for Mary, and to buy a smaller and more modest piece with no emotional connection to her. Wasn't the diamond-drop tiara Margrethe's very first tiara, or at least one of the first she wore?

I think Marie will get a less grand tiara, similar to Mary's. It would look weird if the princess had grander jewellery than the Crown princess. But I hope she will get a more beautiful tiara, because I don't really like Mary's wedding tiara. I think it's too small for a her position as a Crown princess.
__________________
  #72  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Distrito federal, Mexico
Posts: 239
It could be a possibility that Marie Cavallier will be Princess Joachim.
__________________
  #73  
Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 PM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It could be a possibility that Marie Cavallier will be Princess Joachim.
No, as mentioned several times above - she will be HRH Princess Marie of Denmark. The DRF don't really use the Princess "Husband's name" anymore. I think that Princess Viggo, Countess of Rosenborg, was one of the last to do so, and she died in 1966.
__________________
  #74  
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Regina View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by tiny crown. Alexandra's tiara isn't small at all, is it??

When the Queen was looking for a tiara for Mary, the upcoming divorce of Joachim and Alexandra was most likely already known to her. I don't think it was a coinsidence that it was announced a couple of months after the Crown princely wedding instead of before. The marriage must have been over for som time at that point, considering how the couple moved on.
The Queen must have been aware that a family heirloom from her grandmother would disappear from the family, and that might have effected her desicion to buy a tiara for Mary, and to buy a smaller and more modest piece with no emotional connection to her. Wasn't the diamond-drop tiara Margrethe's very first tiara, or at least one of the first she wore?

I think Marie will get a less grand tiara, similar to Mary's. It would look weird if the princess had grander jewellery than the Crown princess. But I hope she will get a more beautiful tiara, because I don't really like Mary's wedding tiara. I think it's too small for a her position as a Crown princess.
Completely agree with your theories. Mary's tiara even to me seemed a very subtle way of Margarethe putting the new CP in her place. Maybe that's putting it a bit extreme, but Mary's tiara imho is indeed too modest and small (not to mention ugly) for a crown princess: almost as if Margarethe wanted to say, albeit in a more-subtle than thou kind of way: 'you may be the new girl on the block, but know your place!'
I mean, there were plenty of better tiara's Margarethe could have loaned to her new daughter in law for the occasion but instead, gave her an ugly, insignificant-looking, almost invisible, non-heirloom piece! Royal subtlety if you ask moi!
__________________
  #75  
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Maybe that's putting it a bit extreme
Yes, I would think so. I can't see how aquiring a tiara which was not before used by the dynasty, could be seen as putting Mary in her place.

In my mind, one is put in their place when they overstep 'the mark'. And knowing that Alexandra was to keep Queen Alexandrine's tiara, I think made Margrethe 'realise' that the Danish collection isn't that big, afterall. And even so, Mary is to wear everything Margrethe currently does so something small was probably seem as appropriate. It was afterall a wedding tiara.

And Mary does have the Desiree parure at her disposal. The only Crown Princess who, herself boasts, such a magnificant suite all to her own.
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #76  
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Yes, I would think so. I can't see how aquiring a tiara which was not before used by the dynasty, could be seen as putting Mary in her place.

In my mind, one is put in their place when they overstep 'the mark'. And knowing that Alexandra was to keep Queen Alexandrine's tiara, I think made Margrethe 'realise' that the Danish collection isn't that big, afterall. And even so, Mary is to wear everything Margrethe currently does so something small was probably seem as appropriate. It was afterall a wedding tiara.

And Mary does have the Desiree parure at her disposal. The only Crown Princess who, herself boasts, such a magnificant suite all to her own.
Mary's wedding tiara was perfectly fitting to her style of bridal dress which featured renaissance motives - in the renaissance the techniques were not yet invented to create tiaras or necklaces like one could do in the Baroque or afterwards. They even had still difficulties in cutting stones, so often the creative idea of the designer was much more important than the actual craftsmanship. For example: Holbein did not only paint ladies in their finery but actually designed the dresses he then painted. Because due to the still rather poor knowledge of sewing dresses (or producing and colouring cloth) you needed an artist to use the available components and figure out what best to do with them. Or the lady herself was creatively talented.
Just think of the amount of Royal ladies in paintings who have nothing but rather simply made golden chains and golden nets for their hair. Glass was in the 1500s one of the most expensive materials for jewelery - when Catherine of Medici came to France her few necklaces of Murano glass were considered to be much more váluable than the gold she brought because it was rare and could be used to create something artistically - an art the goldsmiths did not yet really know. Artistic creations were all the rage.

And queen Margrethe is an artist herself, as is her son Joachim when it comes to designing jewelery. I can imagine that the fact of the upcoming divorce and the Alexandrine tiara leaving the family (though it may come back to the Joachim branch through one of the boys if Alexandra does not sell it) may have led to her decision to give the bride something new. But the actual design of the tiara in question surely was not influenced by the wish to save money or show Mary she is not wanted as a Crown Princess but to create something special for the bride and her wedding. Because since the wedding of course Mary can borrow whatever she likes from the Royal collection as she is one of the ladies of the family for whom the Royal collection was created.

I think Mary's wedding tiara was wonderful in the context of her bridal clothes.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #77  
Old 11-28-2007, 04:54 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga View Post
Completely agree with your theories. Mary's tiara even to me seemed a very subtle way of Margarethe putting the new CP in her place. Maybe that's putting it a bit extreme, but Mary's tiara imho is indeed too modest and small (not to mention ugly) for a crown princess: almost as if Margarethe wanted to say, albeit in a more-subtle than thou kind of way: 'you may be the new girl on the block, but know your place!'
I mean, there were plenty of better tiara's Margarethe could have loaned to her new daughter in law for the occasion but instead, gave her an ugly, insignificant-looking, almost invisible, non-heirloom piece! Royal subtlety if you ask moi!
No, the wedding tiara is far from ugly. It is quite delicate and very useable as an alternative to the much more imposing ruby set Mary also has. I am no expert, but it looks beautifully designed to me and who knows, the diamonds may be more beautiful (valuable) than some in more eye-catching tiaras.

As to putting Mary 'in her place' - why would QMII do that? She is not one to cause deliberate strife and there is no indication whatsoever of any strained relations between QMII and Mary, quite the contrarary I would say.

For a queen to be putting a new DIL deliberately down in connection with a wedding would be decidedly tacky, and QMII is certainly not tacky.

The queen has only made one major mistake in recent years - when she gave away the family diamond droplet tiara to Alexandra. It should only have been on loan.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
  #78  
Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Paty's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 3,879
Can someone translate this!

28-11: Maries fætter Frederik ... Billed-Bladet: Danmarks Royale Ugeblad...
__________________
  #79  
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Mary's wedding tiara was perfectly fitting to her style of bridal dress which featured renaissance motives - in the renaissance the techniques were not yet invented to create tiaras or necklaces like one could do in the Baroque or afterwards. They even had still difficulties in cutting stones, so often the creative idea of the designer was much more important than the actual craftsmanship. For example: Holbein did not only paint ladies in their finery but actually designed the dresses he then painted. Because due to the still rather poor knowledge of sewing dresses (or producing and colouring cloth) you needed an artist to use the available components and figure out what best to do with them. Or the lady herself was creatively talented.
Just think of the amount of Royal ladies in paintings who have nothing but rather simply made golden chains and golden nets for their hair. Glass was in the 1500s one of the most expensive materials for jewelery - when Catherine of Medici came to France her few necklaces of Murano glass were considered to be much more váluable than the gold she brought because it was rare and could be used to create something artistically - an art the goldsmiths did not yet really know. Artistic creations were all the rage.

And queen Margrethe is an artist herself, as is her son Joachim when it comes to designing jewelery. I can imagine that the fact of the upcoming divorce and the Alexandrine tiara leaving the family (though it may come back to the Joachim branch through one of the boys if Alexandra does not sell it) may have led to her decision to give the bride something new. But the actual design of the tiara in question surely was not influenced by the wish to save money or show Mary she is not wanted as a Crown Princess but to create something special for the bride and her wedding. Because since the wedding of course Mary can borrow whatever she likes from the Royal collection as she is one of the ladies of the family for whom the Royal collection was created.

I think Mary's wedding tiara was wonderful in the context of her bridal clothes.
I think Mary's wedding tiara is not ugly it's nice and a little bit to small. I think it looked horrible on her Wedding day the way she wore it because it was almost not visible. She shoould it have worn the way she wears it now. I think reasons for Margrethe to not buy such a big tiara for Mary was also that Mary has the big Ruby parure to use.

I think a better way to keep tiaras in the Family would be to allow the in-laws to use the tiaras from the Family-Foundation and perhaps expand this with a few smaller tiaras.
__________________
Stefan

Royal Travel and Events

  #80  
Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 30
it just says that Marie also has a Frederik in her family. Her cousin Frederic Cavallier runs recruitment office in Brussels.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
joachim, marie, marie cavallier, prince joachim, princess marie


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Joachim & Princess Marie's Official Visit to China: November 22-29, 2009 Ccile Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 66 12-07-2009 05:49 PM
Patronages of Prince Joachim & Princess Marie dazzling Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 1 09-10-2009 05:29 PM
Possible names and godparents for Joachim & Marie's baby principessa Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and Family 390 07-26-2009 11:56 AM
Lead-up to the Diamond Wedding Aniversary, 20 November 2007 PrincessofEurope Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 138 04-09-2008 11:25 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]