The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What will be the gender of Joachim & Marie's 2nd baby?
Boy - It runs in the family! 26 18.31%
Girl - Isabella and Josephine need a comrade to tackle the boys! 93 65.49%
Twins (One of each) - It happened last year... 3 2.11%
As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter! 20 14.08%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
If I'm not mistaken (and hopefully one of our Danish members will correct me if I am), the traditions dictates that parents can call their baby by name, but only when they are alone and not in presence of other people, including family members. Of course, I strongly doubt anyone follows that custom to a tee; more likely than not most members of the little Princess' family know her name and call her with it, unless they are in company of other people.
Thanks

I doubt also that inside the RF, at least the Queen and Prince Henrik, are not aware and use her name!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia
I think that everything went relatively quick with the twins last year and I wasn't annoyed by the tradition, but this has just felt like forever for some reason. I normally do like the tradition of keeping the name a secret until the christening, it builds up this excitement and anticipation.
That's because Marie and Joachim decided to postpone the christening :) Usually there are three months between birth and christening, this Time it was more than four.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Why do the Danish wait so long to release names? I thought waiting two weeks for Lady Louise's name was long, but this is unreal!
That's a tradition going back centuries.

In the old days when infant mortality was very high, the christening was considered more important than the birth.

As such infants were baptized within a few days, ensuring that they belonged to the Christian faith, that they adhered to God.
Once that was done, you could breathe a sigh of relief. Should the child die, it would of course be sad, but at least the baby was sure to go to Heaven.
In the meantime the parents kept the name secret, lest the Devil should lure the child to him, by calling out the the child's name, before the child had been baptized.

In time infant mortallity fell and the christening became more of a festive affair, where friends, family and local dignitaries were invited to celebrate the whole thing. That took time to prepare, those invited needed to be asked and have time to arrive and so on.

As it is the weather is expected to be good on Sunday, giving us the opportunity to see some nice outdoor idyllic photos of the guests and the village.
Had the christening taken place a month ago, the weather would have been lousy.
So perhaps it's a good thing M&J postponed the whole thing a bit.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

^yeah i remenber some parts of the tradition in a tv series Tess of the Dubervilles, it was set in England so im sure they had it long time ago too, however Denmark kept with the tradition until today.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM

There certainly has been a build up to this particular christening. A long wait to build suspense. I've always wondered about the timing Joachim and Co. have used to put themselves in the news.

There is quite a fuss about this event for TV2 and DR, too. Both channels are broadcasting all afternoon on Sunday. Billed Bladet is promising big coverage, too, with 24 pages (including coverage of Princess Estelle's christening). You could get the impression the littlest Schakenborg was further up the line of succession than number 10.

The name; Margrethe. Then they'll have the matched set. :)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Danish royals prepare for christening as name guessing begins
Princess Marie and Prince Joachim of Denmark christen their daughter - hellomagazine.com
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Courtier

Margrethe Odile Renee Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
If I'm not mistaken (and hopefully one of our Danish members will correct me if I am), the traditions dictates that parents can call their baby by name, but only when they are alone and not in presence of other people, including family members. Of course, I strongly doubt anyone follows that custom to a tee; more likely than not most members of the little Princess' family know her name and call her with it, unless they are in company of other people.
I have never heard that story, and it fades more and more. Most ppl in Denmark tells the name to friends and family rather soon after the child is born.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
I have never heard that story, and it fades more and more. Most ppl in Denmark tells the name to friends and family rather soon after the child is born.
I´ve heard it and you can read more about in the post by Muhler
But true, the tradition has faded away
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Aristocracy

It is four month since she was born. So I also hope that within the family they already named the child and use its name. It is weird to say she or it all the time or to use nicknames or baby/baby girl instead.

My final guesses:
Greta Emma Francoise Odile
Clara Odile/Louise Margrethe Francoise
Margrethe Emma Ingrid Odile

and my final guess for godparents:
- Gregory Grandet
- Edouard Cavallier
- Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- 2 more friends, possible: Henriette Steenstrup or Agente Arnø or Caroline Fleming
Old 05-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

My guess is the name Louise for this little girl!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

I'm hoping for a Louis(a)/Sophie(a)/Cecily/Anna

I really hope they don't give her the first name Margrethe! Maybe as they named their son after Joachim's father, they will name her after Marie's mum and we'll have a Princess Francois!

Godparents: Marie's two other brothers and either Gustav or Nikolaus or even Daniel? For godmother I'm a bit stuck! Natalie von Berleburg maybe or friends of the couple.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Royal Highness

Erik Norman Svendsen told a reporter that he hadn't seen ANY of the names coming.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
It is four month since she was born. So I also hope that within the family they already named the child and use its name. It is weird to say she or it all the time or to use nicknames or baby/baby girl instead.

My final guesses:
Greta Emma Francoise Odile
Clara Odile/Louise Margrethe Francoise
Margrethe Emma Ingrid Odile

and my final guess for godparents:
- Gregory Grandet
- Edouard Cavallier
- Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
- 2 more friends, possible: Henriette Steenstrup or Agente Arnø or Caroline Fleming
I was right with
Hr. Gregory Grandet
Hr. Edouard Cavallier
Fr. Henriette Steenstrup

Fr. Carina Axelsson instead of Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg is a good choice.
I have no idea who Fr. Julie Mirabaud and Hr. Diego de Lavandeyra are.

So still waiting for the names.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAmalia View Post
I have no idea who Fr. Julie Mirabaud and Hr. Diego de Lavandeyra are.
Julie Mirabaud is one of Marie's best friends back from their school days.
Diego de Lavandeyra is a close friend of Prince Joachim, as well as Prince Gustav.

The names of the little Princess:
Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie

Athena - her very own unique name
Marguerite - after her paternal grandmother
Françoise - after her maternal grandmother
Marie - after her mother.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

As the Princess's name - Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie - was released today,
the thread is now closed!