General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you meant with their current workload.

I don't think J&M opting out completely is a realistic scenario. Not unless they decided to move to France or something like that. And that would be most odd IMO.

Yes, Benedikte did her bit but not to the extent that she is doing now, she after all had children, husband and the estate at Berleburg to keep her busy.

Queen Ingrid also stepped in on a relatively low key basis. And as you may recall she also stepped in as Rigsforstander, even is she was not in the Line of Succession.

So in a scenario where J&M opted out more or less completely, it would not only be possible that Mary would from time to time be Rigsforstander, it would be inevitable IMO.
(Which would make Mary the de facto head of state from time to time. There is a particular website where they would have a collective heart attack, should that happen... :D)

Sorry, badly put: I meant with their current workload, but if they continue with that if Frederik becomes King next week, it would, for me, be kind of "opting out".

Several members of this board would be having the collective heart attack too...:lol:

The fact is nowhere in the article it says that he should work as much as his brother, the heir. Joachim is critizised for working as little as his father who is officially retired although J+M's move to Copenhagen a few years ago was officially explained with their workload. He is critizised for not coming to Graasten although he constantly declares how important South Jutland is for him. There is a huge gap between what J+M say and what J+M do. And this article points that out.
And yes, Nordic, Marie is (and always has been since her wedding) the family member with the fewest engagements. It's odd that they don't mention her. Since she is at least half responsible for the couple's "freeloader" image.

very well stated.
If the numbers are accurate (which I think they are wrong in only counting one engagement per day, since we know F&M do multiple engagements per day especially during official visits; and not counting Joachim and Frederik's regent days, etc...)
if they are correct, we see that Benedikte is doing more than Marie and almost as much as Joachim. :ermm: Of course, maybe these past months were the heavy ones for Benedikte and the upcoming months will be heavier for J&M, but for me this is off.
take for example the 4 days Women Deliver conference in DK. yes it was very much Mary behind it but if Frederik and Benedikte found a way to attend a few sessions and relate it to their work...was there not one session at least that Marie could have attended?

2 years have gone by since Joachim sold his farm, one of the reasons was that it was hard to balance his royal duties and farm work, now he has no farm and his royal duties have remained the same

Was there an article criticizing Fred for doin 55? No. Or maybe someone can post a link. The fact is he is being criticized for not doing as much as his brother who is the heir. People get all pissed off and up in arms when people criticize other royals for being work shy. But Joachim its ok?

No. That was my point. We're discussing Joachim because it's an article about Joachim. BT doesn't shy away from criticising any royal so if Frederik's workload (or lack of so) was a problem, trust them to have him be the focus of another article. It's notable, as it has been pointed out before, that this graph apparently counts work days rather than the actual amount of engagements of the individual royal – so that would raise both QMII, Frederik and Mary's scores – the same can't be said for Joachim.

If you had bothered reading my reply to you, this criticism is fed by a general frustration towards Joachim amongst the Danes. And people aren't frustrated that he doesn't do as much as Frederik – no one expects him and Marie to do as much as the Crown Prince couple – as I said before, it is, however, upsetting to people that he can't even muster up more engagements than his retired, 82 year old father.

Visibility? I guess he needs to publish his time card or have photos taken as he goes to his defense job because it is not a public event its 'dubious' and doesn't count.

The criticism directed towards his part-time job is pretty valid. Documents from the meetings he has attended strongly suggest that rather than spending the normal 20 hours a week on this part-time job, that is more likely to be the amount of time he spends on it a year. Which, to me, is the very definition of a de facto job to detract from all the criticism he's getting. So yes, providing some evidence that it isn't just that would greatly help his case :)

And yes, the article made a clear point of praising Fred for never missing the photos and Joachim missing 2.

The article mentions Frederik twice: First, in the beginning, by noting that he, Mary, the children, QMII and Henrik, indeed, were present at the photo opportunity. Secondly, near the end, by pointing out how Joachim acts as regent whenever both QMII and Frederik are out of the country. While I'm not usually one to spring to BT's defence, nowhere in the article did they make "a clear point of praising Fred for never missing the photos". Which would be a stupid thing to do – IIRC he and Mary missed out on the photo opportunity in 2008 and received plenty of flack for it as well ;)

If this graph is counting engagements, one event per day during official visits etc, then it's not really very accurate:

F&M visit to Saudi Arabia, 5 days counted as 5 engagements per person, when they really had 23 engagements on the agenda.

Women Deliver conference, 4 days = 4 engagements for Mary, but on the official agenda she had 27 events during those days.

And the same for QM on Dannebrog, F&M during State Visits and so on.

While I agree that it doesn't give a fair representation of QMII, Mary and Frederik's workload, I would also argue that counting several engagements per day wouldn't change Joachim's score much :cool: :p

Last edited:
The report does make me wonder how Joachim spends his days, especially if it's true his part time job is more an honorary thing instead of actual work. He doesn't have the country estate/farm to run anymore. His children are getting older and I can hardly see Joachim being their full time caregiver, anyway. The royal engagements he does don't seem to be the sort to require extensive behind the scenes prep. Presumably most of his friends, even the wealthy ones, have some sort of employment or estate management or something that keeps them busy.

A man in his 40s or 50s should have some sort of regular work, IMO, even if he's independently wealthy.

BT has an article about how much Joachim work in the Defense Command. His position is nominated at 20 hours a week.
Prins Joachim ansat til 20 timer om ugen: Men så meget arbejder han rent faktisk

BT has tried to find out how much it really amounts to, but the military has declined to give away details.
A reply from the military says that there is no registration and: "Just as with other senior executives in the defense there is no upper limit for time at work".

But in his interview to Børsen Joachim has commented on his workload: "It's a part-time position. If I am to put numbers on how much time I use, it's everything from weeks where I'm not here, to last week where I was on a course the whole week with the defense and had a work-week for up to 70 hours.
If I'm not away traveling I will come by the office a couple of times a week as a minimum in order to be productive here.
There are many who likes to write subjectively without considering how much they know and don't know. All of a sudden it's trumpeted a message that you are lazy, lethargic and idle. Of course that affects you. But I can only say that it is absolutely not an objective news-presentation".

- I will add that Joachim and our Marie attended a gala-dinner last night after a hectic week with the Defense Command, where Joachim and other among other things traveled to Greenland to look at the security situation there. - DK is in these years increasing its military presence and ability to rapidly move military forces to the arctic. F-16 fighters were tested in Greenland a couple of years ago but found operationally unsuited for the climate to operate from bases there.

The problem with Joachim, as it also sometimes is for Frederik, is that they don't get as much press-coverage as their wives. Meeting people in suits may be important, but from a media-perspective it's not particularly news-worthy.
That there IMO actually is a point in having a look at Joachim's workload is another matter. I think he shuld be seen out and about more often or change his and Marie's apanage to an expense account under QMII, more or less akin to the arrangement Benedikte has.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous: I completely forgot they bought a place in France, we usually saw them at Chateau Cayz.
Maybe one of Joachim's friends might be interested? :lol:

I saw a houses to buy at Montauroux for more than 1 mllion euros. Should that be their house ?

Thanks, Eya.

Bette Henrik was asked whether he's a fan of Justin Bieber and replied honestly: "I've never heard a song (with Justin Biwer) before".

Joachim admitted he didn't know much about Justin's music. And also told that Nikolai and Felix had gone a notch further. (Presumably he asked them and they reacted with either :ROFLMAO::eek:

:previous: Really?? Why they are going then??:lol:

Apparently to see if it was something for them - okay for bette Henrik.

My guess is that Joachim got his hands on some free tickets and thought: "Justin Biwer? Hmm, perhaps his style is like Iron Maiden? But girls seems to like him, so his style is perhaps like Selena Gomez? - Whatever, I'll ask the boys".

Nikolai and Felix probably laughed themselves to sleep that night. :D

:previous: Thanks Muhler!!!

Nikolai and Felix probably laughed very much!!!! ;)

but I imagine any experience is for good :)

The man with the glasses must be Oscar Siesbye, right?

Let's talk about money.

Prins Joachim scorer kassen - og får hård kritik: 'Der er mange, der er skuffede' | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk

After the same of Schackenborg Joachim still owned several estates and land around the manor.
Now he has sold a farm.

There was no debt in the farm, so the income from the sale goes into Joachim's pockets.
An amount of some 22 million DKK = 2.95 million € = 3.1 million $ = 2.5 million £.

The surplus after the sale of Schackenborg has been estimated at 56 million DKK. Reduced after the purchase of their current home, which was sold for 34.5 million DKK.
The worth of that home has since then gone up some 4 million DKK.

He has also put up for sale a summer cottage in France, for 16 million DKK. - It may be sold for a little less though.

So if we put all these figures together. Not counting private fortune and investments I'd say J&M are now comfortably rich. In as much as they can live very comfortably indeed for the rest of their lives without lifting a finger - and at the same time ensure the four children will be very well off when they inherit the fortune.

It's a new thing that members of the DRF speculate in buying and selling land and property. But why not?
The sale of the farm means that there will be less of a direct affiliation with Southern Jutland and the DRF, since no one from the DRF now live there.
But M&F are supposed to take over Gråsten - and who knows perhaps one of their four children will settle in Southern Jutland?

:previous: wow, nice for Joachim ;).
Did not know they had purchased a summer cottage in France.
Do they still use Schackenborg for weekend visits?

Frederik and family do seem to enjoy their stays at Gråsten, hopefully they do in the future.

Let's talk about money.

Prins Joachim scorer kassen - og får hård kritik: 'Der er mange, der er skuffede' | BT Danmark - www.bt.dk

After the same of Schackenborg Joachim still owned several estates and land around the manor.
Now he has sold a farm.

There was no debt in the farm, so the income from the sale goes into Joachim's pockets.
An amount of some 22 million DKK = 2.95 million € = 3.1 million $ = 2.5 million £.

The surplus after the sale of Schackenborg has been estimated at 56 million DKK. Reduced after the purchase of their current home, which was sold for 34.5 million DKK.
The worth of that home has since then gone up some 4 million DKK.

He has also put up for sale a summer cottage in France, for 16 million DKK. - It may be sold for a little less though.

So if we put all these figures together. Not counting private fortune and investments I'd say J&M are now comfortably rich. In as much as they can live very comfortably indeed for the rest of their lives without lifting a finger - and at the same time ensure the four children will be very well off when they inherit the fortune.

It's a new thing that members of the DRF speculate in buying and selling land and property. But why not?
The sale of the farm means that there will be less of a direct affiliation with Southern Jutland and the DRF, since no one from the DRF now live there.
But M&F are supposed to take over Gråsten - and who knows perhaps one of their four children will settle in Southern Jutland?
Land speculation indeed is a very interesting past time! The price of houses in my home town of Toronto has risen astronomically, so that anyone who owns a house in the city is practically a millionaire!:eek:It would seem that the same phenomenon is happening in all major world cities, so that Joachim is following the trend...bravo:flowers:

TILLYKKE: Prinsesse Marie fylder 41 år | BILLED-BLADET

Our Marie turns 41 today. This weekend was caught going into a cinema with her two children, Athena and bette Henrik - to see the Lego-Batman film BTW.
Here she said: "It's a secret what I shall (do on her birthday) but it will be with my father".

http://68.media.tumblr.com/8ff590e35959c999c0cc0321e77a2e7c/tumblr_ol3apxGcv91v8yru9o1_1280.jpg
http://kendte.dk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/20170205-154729-L-1000x692we-610x410.jpg

Prinsesse Marie fejrede 41-års fødselsdag med far | BILLED-BLADET

A delighted bette Henrik with his morfar. Good to see. Quality time with the grandkids is worth gold - and makes you live longer and healther - a study has shown.

Land speculation indeed is a very interesting past time! The price of houses in my home town of Toronto has risen astronomically, so that anyone who owns a house in the city is practically a millionaire!:eek:It would seem that the same phenomenon is happening in all major world cities, so that Joachim is following the trend...bravo:flowers:

Absolutely! Copenhagen has gone almost complete Los Angeles. In the sense that it's becoming much more difficult for core-middleclass income groups, like nurses, to afford buying property, not to mention living within the city limits!
Many good apartments are being bought and sold for speculation. And hired at very affordable prices to friends. Alexandra lives in such an apartment.
The prices for daily commodities can easily be up to a third higher in Copenhagen than in Jutland. Even taking the tourists traps along the west coast into consideration.

:previous: wow, nice for Joachim ;).
Did not know they had purchased a summer cottage in France.
Do they still use Schackenborg for weekend visits?

Frederik and family do seem to enjoy their stays at Gråsten, hopefully they do in the future.

J&M very much use Schackenborg as a weekend retreat or as a base if they happen to have a job in that part of the country. After all they still know quite a lot of people in Southern Jutland.

sweet pictures of marie, henrik, athena and mr. cavallier! i am glad to see they do things that any other family would do such as going to the movies.

Another article on Joachim's recent sale
Prins Joachim sælger sønderjysk ejendom for 22 millioner: Vil skuffe mange, mener historiker - TV 2
it points out how some are disappointed that the connection has broken
"- I know there are many who are disappointed. They have the attitude that he maintain a reasonable standard of living at public expense, and then the least one could ask of him that he did his job as the Danish royal family's representative in Jutland"
Hopefully Joachim does continue those bonds

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #06, 2017.
Written by Juliane Olsen.

Sunday forenoon our Marie and her father, Alain Cavalier, arrived at a cinema in Copenhagen for the premiere of the Lego Batman movie.
In front went morfar Cavalier, holding his grandson's hand, followed by Marie and mademoiselle Athena, who as usual wasn't the least bit disturbed by adults jumping around with cameras. :cool:

Joachim was in Jutland, renaming an airport.

At the cinema Marie met and was hugged by Camilla of Rosenborg, who was accompanying Josephine of Rosenborg and her husband, Kenneth Schmidt and their six month old son. - Who IMO is probably a liiitle bit too small to appreciate the film.
- J&M have a very good relationship with Count Ingolf and as such seemingly also with the rest of the Rosenborgs.

Present was also Ellen Hillingsøe, with daughter and her friend.

Scans will be uploaded in a few hours in the Amalienborg thread.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #12, 2017.
Here a Lis Solvang would like to know whether Joachim's children also suffer from allergy.

Jon Bloch Skipper confirms that Joachim has indeed said that some of his children suffer from allergy, but he has not said who or what kind of allergy.
Joachim very much suffer from birch-pollen-allergy. Which is actually worsened by him moving to Copenhagen, because the area where he now live if full of birch-trees and the wind blow birch-pollen from Germany and Sweden.
At Schackenborg in Southern Jutland, there are less fewer trees, let alone birch trees and with wind mostly coming from west, across the sea, there is much less pollen in the air.

- My guess is that bette Henrik certainly is suffering from not only allergy but also asthma. A little guess would be Nikolai as well, but not as bad.
I think mademoiselle Athena is perfectly healthy. Don't know about Felix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom