General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:I guess we will see in 3 years time to see if he volunteers. I think he might, being the oldest grandchild of the Queen.

Interesting to see if the DRF girls will join.
The Queen did some training right? and Mary and Marie too? (or I might be thinking something else)

Muhler-When Frederik and Joachim were of finished with school did Denmark have obligatory military service for all men?

:previous:I guess we will see in 3 years time to see if he volunteers. I think he might, being the oldest grandchild of the Queen.

Interesting to see if the DRF girls will join.
The Queen did some training right? and Mary and Marie too? (or I might be thinking something else)

QMII was a WAC = Women's Auxillary Corps. That doesn't exist anymore though. But there were still WACs when I was in the army.

Mary is a lieutenant in the Army Home Guard and received basic training there. As well as basic NCO and officers training. In reality she is actually a patron, because I doubt very much she clocked enough hours yearly in active service nor at the shooting range to strictly speaking qualify her to be an active member.

Our Marie is a member of the Civil Defence and has a rank equivalent to first lieutenant. She has taken part in several courses and also completed the basic training. Again she is in reality a patron because she has AFAIK not taken an active part in anything even though her column has been called out several times.

Muhler-When Frederik and Joachim were of finished with school did Denmark have obligatory military service for all men?

Yes and no.
Yes, in the sense that all able bodied Danish men are eligible to be called up for service and as such you appear before a draft board usually when you are eighteen.
No, in the sense that there isn't use for more than a few of the young men who turn eighteen each year.

At the draft board or session, you are examined and you pull a number. If your number is low you may be called up for conscription. (Some 5.000 are called up each year).
The vast majority (98-99%) are volunteer conscripts though and they can usually select where they want to serve, depending on skills and the waiting list. There is for example a two year waiting list to serve in the Mounted Squadron of the Guards Hussars.
If you are a conscientious objector you can end up in the Civil Defense or do community service. That is typically longer than service in the military.

While men must serve if called up, women has the right to serve, so many women sign up for volunteer conscription.

That was not the case when I and Frederik and Joachim were young and we served for a longer period. (That depended on the unit). In our time a considerable part of the eighteen year olds were called up and not nearly as many were volunteers.
Both Frederik and Joachim went to NCO school so that meant eighteen months of conscription.
From there they went on to the (army) officers school.
In comparison I completed my period as a conscript. Signed up later for the Army Home Guard and then became a regular a few years later for service as a UN peacekeeper.

:previous:always thankful for all the knowledge shared:flowers::flowers:

From the three grand-daughters it would be nice for one at least to do some volunteer service or go the route of Mary and Marie and at least do basic training/patron with a service

The 46-year-old Prince Joachim and his wife, Princess Marie, is now after more than half a year of rebuilding moved into their large villa in Klampenborg north of Copenhagen.

A year ago they gave up to stay fixed at Schackenborg Castle in Møgeltønder, and now they all moved into 344 square meters on a 2,500 sq m plot.

- We have moved in, said a clearly delighted Prince Joachim to RoyalDish.

The house should not be museum
The villa, built in 1919, last year was for sale for 35 million dollars and has now been arranged by the couple's wishes.

- One is want something else is what can be done. The house must of course also serve as a home. It's not a museum, says Prince Joachim of b
Prins Joachim: Vi er flyttet ind | billedbladet.dk

Who bought the house? The state for them? Do they have that kind of $?

Who bought the house? The state for them? Do they have that kind of $?

Joachim bought the house cash, after the sale of Schackenborg.
And even after having paid for the renovation and furnishing of the house I don't think it's money-worries that keeps Joachim awake at night!

He and our Marie are pretty well off now.

Joachim has given an interview to the magazine Euroman and I think it might be interesting!

Ærlig prins Joachim taler ud: Min kone skal have æren for, at jeg har forbedret mig - Royale | www.bt.dk

In an excerpt in BT he talks about his personal life and life with his children.

The biggest vise in his personality according to himself is absentmindedness and he admits to be something of (help me here English speakers) a person who is perhaps a little too formal and a stickler for correctness. (What do you call such a person with one or two words in English?)

He says about our Marie: "My best coach is my wife (informal word). When other try to coach me I'm probably a little stubborn. My wife must have the credit for all the areas where I have improved"
He does not go into what areas that is.

About being together with his two eldest children in particular: "After my divorse I had suddenly much more (*) time together with my two oldest. That was after all the terms. It wasn't like I spoiled them and everything was allowed to run wild/go down the drain, when I had them, because lack of upbringing must not compensate the feeling of guilt. Presence must compensate for lack of being together".

Right now he is enjoying time with his two youngest because they have now reached the age, Felix and Nikolai had at the divorce.

But when the children have been put to bed he and Marie often watch series on the TV. Like Homeland, House of Cards, and Game of Thrones and they can easily wolf down a couple of episodes or four in an evening.

I think I'll have a look at Euroman online later, when I have more time and perhaps buy the magazine.

(*) The article does sat "more time".

:previous:thank you.
Maybe perfectionist, disciplinarian . maybe just he is more formal.

Nice short interview to get an insight on Joachim.

I remember Frederik had a very handsome Euroman cover ;)

Joachim's cover
http://www.euroman.dk/upload/fixed/422/266/euroman-dk/artikler/2015/juli/bedremand.jpg

added:
link to Euroman
"Here you can also meet Prince Joachim, who talk about cars, kids, music and reputation as wooden man"
http://www.euroman.dk/artikler/nyhe...agelse-skal-ikke-kompensere-for-skyldfolelse/

**it says less time with his two oldest

Last edited:
"Easily wolf down 4-5 episodes in one night." Sounds like every married with children couple that I know.:lol: When our kids were younger we'd do the same but with "24."

:previous:thank you.
Maybe perfectionist, disciplinarian . maybe just he is more formal.

Nice short interview to get an insight on Joachim.

I remember Frederik had a very handsome Euroman cover ;)

Joachim's cover
http://www.euroman.dk/upload/fixed/422/266/euroman-dk/artikler/2015/juli/bedremand.jpg

added:
link to Euroman
"Here you can also meet Prince Joachim, who talk about cars, kids, music and reputation as wooden man"
Joachim: ”Jeg har ikke forkælet mine børn efter skilsmissen. Mangel på opdragelse skal ikke kompensere for skyldfølelse” - Euroman

**it says less time with his two oldest

Thanks, Polyesco. :)

So it was a typo in BT, thought so.

And thanks for the suggestions and links. - But I flatly refuse to disconnect adblocker just to read a preview, you hear Euroman? :bang: - That'll teach 'em!

"Easily wolf down 4-5 episodes in one night." Sounds like every married with children couple that I know.:lol: When our kids were younger we'd do the same but with "24."

:) Yes, with the coffee pot standing on the table quietly fizzling, while we both glance at each other to see who will break first and sit up from the comfort of the couch, reach out and close the lid properly. :D
I usually end up closing the lid, otherwise my wife will start poking me in the ribs with her finger. :voodoo: - What happened to the loving and gentle women I married? :sad:

Last edited:
There is a little more on the Joachim interview in Euroman: Prins Joachim i stort interview: 'Jeg tænker på døden hver dag' - Royale | www.bt.dk

This time about death.

He appears to have suffered some feelings of guilt since he, his brother and a couple of friends crashed in a car in France back in the 80's.
Joachim, who was behind the wheel, was also the only one who was virtually unhurt. Frederik, as you may recall, was flung out of the car and broke a collarbone.

As he and his brother very well could have ended up dead, this seems to have haunted him.
"The tow backseat passenger were flung and one landed on the back in a blackberry shrubbery. The car was a complete wreck but we were lucky as swines (idiom). We got away basically with a broken collarbone, a couble of bended ribs and thorns in various places. That experience is still in me. It only takes so little".

It also made him think of death: "I think about death. Every day. We cannot avoid death. I've had a few unpleasant experiences, among them the carcrash in 1988, and instead of being in denial and don't speak of them, I've related to them. That's probably something I've learned from my father who have always been open about talking about death".

Joachim has given an interview to the magazine Euroman and I think it might be interesting!

The biggest vise in his personality according to himself is absentmindedness and he admits to be something of (help me here English speakers) a person who is perhaps a little too formal and a stickler for correctness. (What do you call such a person with one or two words in English?).

(*) The article does sat "more time".

Strait-laced? Finicky? Or, (my favourite), persnickety?

It's interesting that the crash as a teenager had such a profound effect on him but he continues to race cars!

Happy to hear Joachim and Marie are fans of Homeland. I recently started watching a Danish show called Borgen, which is great. I wonder if the royals have watched it?

BT runs a feature these days about our Marie and today it's about what the marriage to Joachim has done for him: Efter våde diskoteks-besøg og skilsmisse: Prinsesse Marie blev Joachims redning - Royale | www.bt.dk

It is no secret that Joachim had a serious down period after the divorce from Alexandra. Including the odd binge. (*)
Martin Berner is among Joachim's friends and a racing team mate and he says about their marriage: "He is really happy. No doubt about that. There have been big problems in his life that have caused anxiety. He have overcome those now".

Joachim says about his wife: "My wife (informal word) must have the credit for all the areas where I have improved". He describes the time around his divorce as "very stressful" and a period where he smoked 25 cigarettes a day. "Now the number is down to six-seven".

Martin Berner describes Marie: "They play (swing) well together. There is no doubt she has her own opnions about things and give him the counteraction that is needed.
He chose her because he wanted her as his companion in life. Not because she was to become his co-worker. But that she automatically becomes, and then it's important for him that she is up to the task as Princess. That makes him more calm and give him more surplus".

Joachim's farbror (paternal uncle) Etienne de Laborde de Monpezat says: "Joachim was more reserved beforehand, but I think Marie has made him more outgoing.
Princess Marie is very likable and a very warm creature, who is pleasant to be around. We are very fond of her. And that's not just because she is French".

(*) Many men, if not most, of mine and Joachim's (and Frederik's) generation have never learned to cry. We can't, it doesn't feel right. So we drink instead when it hurts. And that's what Joachim apparently did.
Frederik in contrast has learned to cry.

Billed Bladet has more on the interview with Joachim to the magazine Euroman.
Not much added.

But he does say this about his brother: "My brother and I still have a very close relationship. We have grown up as pseudo-twins. We went in the same class-level all the way up.
I won't say our ways separated after high school, because in the nature of things they never will, but we went along each our own paths.
We often have advise and ideas to share with each other and we are never further away than a text message of a phone call. We are still very close".

About his relationship with his oldest children: "When we go on winter holiday I always drive the car down there. So I take the older boys along. Then we save money too.
That's father-son-time for 14-15 hours. We talk. Widely about this and that. We cram geography and history, so they learn all that I know.
What I don't know, they don't know either. (Laughing). I'm a big history and geography-geek".

About Nikolai he says: "Our oldest child has gone from a child to being a young man.
That happened very, very fast after he started attending Herlufsholm (boarding school). It's so life-affirming to see that transformation. It's great.
He asks for advise or he just want's to share a good experience.
I tell him to seize the day. And to use his good head. He has a thirst for knowledge and he should keep that up".

What a nice road trip each winter, Joachim and Nikolai and Felix.

Our Marie is on the cover of the latest issue of Costume, a danish fashion magazine, that includes an interview with her.
Nyt nummer af Costume: En prinsesse på forsiden | Costume.dk

That includes thirteen quick response questions for her:
13 skarpe til Prinsesse Marie | Costume.dk

Q: The first thing I think of when I get up in the morning?
M: "To kiss my children".

Q: That makes me happy?
M: "When people around me are happy".

Q: I laugh my head off when?
M: "Oh, I laugh SO often. I've just laughed with my husband, but when my girl, Athena, repeat something I say, it's really funny".

Q: HRH Prince Joachim is?
M: "My souldmate".

Q: I feel most comfortable in?
M: "Jeans and T-shirt".

Q: I would never dress in?
M: "You should never say never".

Q: My children are?
M: "My absolute pride".

Q: I can't sit still when I listen to?
M: "Alors on danse with Stromae. (Found the song on YouTube and listened for about 15 seconds. Well, I wouldn't be able to sit still as well. I'd get up and get away).

(This is a little tricky as I'm not familiar with the similar English expression. The meaning is something like being really embarrassed).
Q: I could have dug a hold and buried myself in it when?
M: "I did my first speech in Danish".

Q: It saddens me?
M: "When people don't understand each other".

Q: It puzzles me that?
M: "That people bother read Se & Hør". (Talk about a swipe here! That I agree with her wholeheartedly is another matter).

Q: The Danes are?
M: "Happy".

Q: I dream about?
M: "Like everybody else. About The Prince".

http://bonnier.imgix.net/cdn-connec...77a69e3fe1.jpg?auto=format&ixjsv=1.0.24&w=610

I asked my wife. Costume is a magazine predominantly for the younger woman or older teenager.

Last edited:
A little bit more from the interview of Joachim to Euroman, this time focusing on his relationship with Frederik and Frederik's role

Joachim: Min bror og jeg er tætte – Ekstra Bladet

and with the help of google translate, I like what he said about Frederik's "job"
"Prince also believes that his brother has 'one of the most difficult careers one can have'.
'He must live, not a shadow-existence, but a bi-career until the day he becomes head person. It is a difficult reality. It requires self-control, but also because you should use our time until the day comes, and I think he has done '."

:previous: Thanks, Polyesco. :)

So Joachim is deeply fascinated by Churchill? - Well he was an interesting man.

Our Marie went to the opening of her hairdresser, Dennis Knudsen's new restaurant, as well as other socialites from the Copenhagen jetset.
Here are pics of Marie: http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/112/10/2048x-u/10112480-til-bt.jpg
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/112/10/2048x-u/10112483-til-bt.jpg
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/112/10/2048x-u/10112479-til-bt.jpg

The blonde woman is Sanne Salmonsen, a rock singer, who BTW know Mary well.

The whole gallery: Se billederne: Kendte og kongelige flokkedes til åbning af Dennis Knudsens nye restaurant | www.bt.dk

Thanks, Polyesco. :)

So it was a typo in BT, thought so.

And thanks for the suggestions and links. - But I flatly refuse to disconnect adblocker just to read a preview, you hear Euroman? :bang: - That'll teach 'em!

:) Yes, with the coffee pot standing on the table quietly fizzling, while we both glance at each other to see who will break first and sit up from the comfort of the couch, reach out and close the lid properly. :D
I usually end up closing the lid, otherwise my wife will start poking me in the ribs with her finger. :voodoo: - What happened to the loving and gentle women I married? :sad:
. Are you still romancing her? I am only half joking, I know so many wives who say, he ignores me, the romance is gone, where is the man I married? I have no doubt that there are husbands who say the same...

:previous: I am. :)
You work on your marriage every single day, otherwise the romance die slowly but surely as, you very correctly said.
Fortunately we see plenty of examples of M&F and J&M working on their marriages as well. Not to mention the Regent Couple!

:previous: I am. :)
You work on your marriage every single day, otherwise the romance die slowly but surely as, you very correctly said.
Fortunately we see plenty of examples of M&F and J&M working on their marriages as well. Not to mention the Regent Couple!
Well done you! I am in no position to give anyone marriage advice having thus far avoided it but I see and hear so many friends of both genders complaining of being unhappy within marriage...

Nice picture . Not sold on Marie's dress and for me, Joachim should be in uniform instead.

I find them nice couple and Marie she is very beautiful . The dress is beautiful too.

New official photo of Princess Marie and Prince Joachim of Denmark. Photo: Steen Brogaard

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...59_1059321350767481_2712602537691281967_o.jpg

Nice picture . Not sold on Marie's dress and for me, Joachim should be in uniform instead.

I have to wonder if they took this back in 2013? They seem to be wearing the exact same stuff they were wearing for the Vietnamese State visit Dinner.

State visit from Vietnam - 42-51512144 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom