General News about Joachim, Marie and Family Part 4: July 2014 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe if he wish to remain an active member of the DRF with apanage and all, that he should step up his workload - and soon.
Let there be no doubt about that.

But keep in mind that while Frederik was in Greenland finding himself and finding a meaning with his future as king and not least finding Mary. (And fortunately he did! On all three counts. For Frederik as well as Denmark. Or we would very well have had an unhappy Crown Prince by now).
While that went on, Joachim was working on a pretty derelict estate, while also taking part in official functions and travels. He was raising a family and trying to mend a marriage that for whatever reasons was creaking in the seems. Not getting much help from Alexandra BTW, because she's a city-person and Schackenborg is about as far from the city as you can possibly get here in DK, unless you move to a very small island.
Then his marriage failed. It could happen to anyone, but Joachim got all the blame.
He had to pay big time to his ex-wife. That wouldn't exactly have helped his finances in running the estate on top of all the other worries and the feeling of failure he must have had.

I think J&M should both step up their workload and I'm counting on them to do it. The regent couple are getting old and the truth is, that Frederik could become King any day. Joachim and Marie will be needed. I think they are doing a good job. When they do it.

AFAIK, Frederik was in Greenland for a few months only, not years, so I doubt everything you wrote took place during those few months.
BTW, was Scackenborg really derelict in 2000? I thought it had already been extensively renovated twice by that time? With J parents money and the wedding gift.

I've never had an interest in Alexandra but have read enough to really not blame Joachim alone for the divorce. Quite the opposite. It's a shame that Joachim, and only Joachim, was held responsible for the divorce.
Really not fair, I think.

I think J&M should both step up their workload and I'm counting on them to do it. The regent couple are getting old and the truth is, that Frederik could become King any day. Joachim and Marie will be needed. I think they are doing a good job. When they do it.

AFAIK, Frederik was in Greenland for a few months only, not years, so I doubt everything you wrote took place during those few months.
BTW, was Scackenborg really derelict in 2000? I thought it had already been extensively renovated twice by that time? With J parents money and the wedding gift.

I've never had an interest in Alexandra but have read enough to really not blame Joachim alone for the divorce. Quite the opposite. It's a shame that Joachim, and only Joachim, was held responsible for the divorce.
Really not fair, I think.

I was in fact thinking of the period 1998-2003. When Frederik was pursuing his military careers, went to Greenland and the Australian outback. And most importantly cultivating his relationship with Mary.
In that period Alexandra and Joachim were very much in focus.

Schackenborg manor had got a well-needed renovation after the wedding. You know, the public gift. And additional renovations from then on. But it was a huge job and as late as 2013 Joachim talked about the next big project being the main staircase, but that had to wait a little.
On top of that the estate was worn down and needed new equipment and new machines not to mention new crops. - All in all a big job besides his royal duties and a marriage that we now understand wasn't going that well. (Unless they sat down one day and suddenly agreed on a divorce, for whatever reason). So I'd say Joachim had quite a lot to think about these years.

I'm more than willing to repeat what I have said: Joachim needs to step up his workload and soon. The DRF cannot afford that he stays in a work-limbo.
As for our Marie: She's busy nesting, so she'll get more slack.

I wasn't following the DRF during Joachim's first marriage, when Alexandra was at the height of her popularity. But from what I have read, it seems that Joachim's image has 'softened' somewhat in the last few years No doubt due to the adult way in which the divorce was handled, and now he is obviously happy with Marie. It's also telling that the children from both marriages are very close. His workload will probably increase now that he and Marie have moved to Copenhagen. Also, QMII has slowed down a bit, so he and Frederik can share more of the royal duties.

A BB video of the family in zoo: VIDEO: Prinsesse Athenas og prins Henriks sjove dag i Aalborg Zoo | Billed Bladet

BB promises at lot of photos of Athena in particular in the issue tomorrow. (Friday is a holiday here in DK).

:previous: I believe you are right, Midwestmom. Joachim's image slowly improved, but got dented again after the sale of Schackenborg.
Perhaps they have been busy reorganizing the work schedule within the DRF. So that the young now take over in earnest and the Regent Couple take an even more relaxed role. (Perhaps out of necessity, if PH's "flu" is more serious than we expect).

[...] BTW, was Scackenborg really derelict in 2000? I thought it had already been extensively renovated twice by that time? With J parents money and the wedding gift.
[...]

Before the 1990's restoration: http://www.lossiantiik.ee/andy1/k05-01-22-57.JPG

After the 1990's restoration it is sparkling new, the windows are grey, the coat of arms high up the façade too:
http://multimedia.pol.dk/archive/00618/M_gelt_nder_og_Scha_618308a.jpg

After the recent update (I think that is a better word) the main door and the windows are now in a sort of oxblood red, so to see. The coat of arms high up the façade is now in colour: http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/Images/slotte/schakenborg-slot1.jpg.img

Prins Joachim i Go’aften Danmark | Billed Bladet

Joachim will be in the city of Aarhus this weekend to take part in the Classic Car race. Prior to that he will appear on TV2's Evening Show to talk about his passion for racing.
Nikolai and Felix will join dad at the race. And who knows, perhaps bette Henrik (who is also very much into cars!) and mademoiselle Athena will join him as well?

Anyway, it's a great picture of dad and son!

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

That is a feeling familiar to most dads. The odds against you increase as you child gets older. :p
Firstly your child gets heavier - and that is always the main reason for such a failure!
Because all 45ish dads weigh the same as we did when we were 25 and we are still very fit. Period! :bb: - Even if we really feel like :sick:

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

That is a feeling familiar to most dads. The odds against you increase as you child gets older. :p
Firstly your child gets heavier - and that is always the main reason for such a failure!
Because all 45ish dads weigh the same as we did when we were 25 and we are still very fit. Period! :bb: - Even if we really feel like :sick:

LOL

me thinks Joachim should do more exercise and training. build some muscle.
;)

Well, it didn't go too well with the soapbox cars, and the first heat in the race didn't go well for team either.
Prins Joachim involveret i uheld | Billed Bladet

First Oscar Siesbye's car broke down, then Joachim's car was hit from behind by another driver causing considerable damage.
Joachim got out of the car and uttered expressions that are not suited for the ears of children and small dogs! :censored::furious::bang:

Prince Joachim has any talent as driver?

Prince Joachim has any talent as driver?

He is said to be very talented indeed. Talented enough that he might very well have had a professional career as racing driver had he not been a Prince.

This clip gives us a glimpse into Joachim's competitive personality, wait for the last 30 seconds. VIDEO: Prins Felix og prins Joachim kørte ræs i Aarhus | Billed Bladet

The clip starts out by Joachim and Oscar Siesbye talking about their childhood interest in racing cars and how Joachim shuts everything out mentally prior to a race, so he's completely focused.

Oscare Siesbye tells us that he started racing before he got married and that he fortunately has an understanding wife.
Our Marie is also understanding, says Joachim. She more or less accepts it as a kind of family outing and a kind of dad-sons bonding. And it also helps that they "can camp right around the corner", as Joachim puts it. I.e. at Marselisborg.

The last bit is very interesting. We see Joachim's car come limping back and he is absolutely furious when he has seen the damage!!! :angry:(Perhaps he got a scare too?):furious: Yelling into the head of a teammate and throwing something away the feelings are sky high!

Right after that clip we switch back to the interview. The journalist holds the microphone at safe distance and ask which one of them is the most sore loser.
Joachim's two teammates point to Joachim, while Joachim points back to them and retorts: "Well, you have to lose in order to be a sore loser".

BT writes that the guy who hit Joachim's car afterwards complained to managers of the race, claiming it was Joachim's fault, he ran into Joachim. Also because Joachim's car had no working break-lights.

That was dismissed and the complainer had to pay a fee for complaining.

- If I am to read between the lines in the reasoning given for the dismissal it would be along these lines: "It's a bloody race! And mind your own driving in the future". :p

Prins Joachim beskyldt for at forårsage uheld - Royale | www.bt.dk

Last edited:
In Billed Bladet #22, 2015.

We learn that Joachim and our Marie still haven't moved into their new home!
Joachim explains: "It may not go so fast about moving in as we expected. We take things quiet and easy, but of course we are looking forward. Not least to enjoying the summer. It's a lovely area. A bit away from Copenhagen but still so close that it doesn't take long to get into the center".

He adds that they expect to move in within a few weeks.
- So presumably they still live at Amalienborg.

--------------------

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2015.
Written by Henrik Salling.

As you know now Joachim and friends took part in the Classic Car Race last weekend in Aarhus.
That included pushing Felix around in a soap box car - but not winning...
Felix also gave a brief interview to TV2 and he was laconic about not winning: "As long as you are having a fun time".

About his dad: "We both love cars and races and we think it's fun. As soon as I can I'll change the soapbox car with a real racing car".

Will he be a better driver than dad: "Perhaps".

Before the race Felix and the rest of the team, fixed the soapbox car with a bit of paint, some glue and some fresh stickers, before Felix selected his ryebread-engines, i.e. daddy Joachim and co-racer Martin Berner.

Nikolai was not present as he took part in the 450th anniversary of his boarding school.

Our Marie arrived during Saturday with madeoiselle Athena but too late to see Joachim drive the first race. - Aaaand that was perhaps best! Because it was during that race Joachim's car was hit from behind and Joachim blew all fuzes. :censored::bang:

But come Sunday all was forgotten and that also happened to be their seventh anniversary, so a visibly surprised and moved Marie received a big bouquet of roses from her husband when she arrived at the track. :rose2::wub:

Last edited:
The Scackenborg they sell whole or kept a part?

In Billed Bladet #22, 2015.
Our Marie arrived during Saturday with madeoiselle Athena but too late to see Joachim drive the first race. - Aaaand that was perhaps best! Because it was during that race Joachim's car was hit from behind and Joachim blew all fuzes. :censored::bang:

But come Sunday all was forgotten and that also happened to be their seventh anniversary, so a visibly surprised and moved Marie received a big bouquet of roses from her husband when she arrived at the track. :rose2::wub:

and a big kiss
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/8.png
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/910.jpg

:previous: Thanks.

Birthday party perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: It was indeed for Joachim's birthday party.

BB writes in a note that he and our Marie went to the island of Ibiza and stayed aboard a yacht and here their friends Agnete Arnø and Christian Scherfig were among those observed.
They left for Spain the day after the Constitution celebrations on 5th June.

I put this here, because it was really an outing with dad: Video: Prins Joachim havde sine drenge med på øvelse | Billed Bladet

BB video.

The military, in particular the army, had a public day at the Oxbøl training grounds, here military equipment, past and present, was exhibited and demonstrated to the public. That also included several live fire demonstrations.

As such Joachim who is a colonel, (not lieutenant-colonel, BB!) was in charge of a Leopard main battle tank that fired a round.
Joachim said afterwards that it was pure nostalgia but that he hadn't forgotten how it was done.

Present were also Felix Nikolai and Count Richard of Berleburg. (*)

(*) How are the rules about conscription in Germany? Any serious chance Count Richard will be conscripted? Or become a volunteer conscript?

Last edited:
Nicolai in a Hollister sweatshirt makes me smile. It's my 15 year old daughter's favorite store and brand.

Thanks, Iceflower for the additional pics. :flowers:

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #27, 2015.
Written by our man in trenches, Ken Richter.

Joachim brought his three sons and Count Richard from the Berleburg branch along to what is basically a military PR-day and the exercise area Oksbøl, where weapons were displayed and there were live fire demonstrations.

That included daddy Joachim being a tank commander of a Leopard 2 MBT firing a live round, something he hasn't done for a long time!
He said afterwards: "It was totally nostalgic, because it's been many years since I last fired live rounds. (*) But I could feel that once I'd brushed the dust of my shoulders, the craftsmanship wasn't forgotten".

Nikolai is fifteen, so in three years he will have to appear before the draftboard and perhaps be picked as a conscript. But he can also opt to be a volunteer conscript and that is something Joachim won't mind!
"I try to install in them an interest for the defense and I think they can see it's exciting.
So it is in an attempt to allure them a bit that I brought them here today".
Nikolai was especially interested in the technical equipment inside a recce-vehicle, so perhaps the Guards Hussars is something for him? (His farbror Frederik was a platoon commander for a forward recce platoon when he served in that regiment).

And indeed all the boys got a tour of the materiel and even though bette Henrik was the youngest he was by no means kept out. When he wasn't holding dad's hand, wearing ear protection the size of his head, his older brothers looked after him.
Listening to all the technical details about a tank may be cool for the older boys, but perhaps less so when you are five or six years old, so bette found a spend cartridge and sat down in the grass to play with that instead.

- There is no doubt the boys enjoyed being out together but I can't help wondering whether the DRF girls will opt for volunteer conscription as well. They would be welcomed with open arms!

(*) According to his skill badges, Joachim is a qualified machinegunner, pistol marksman and rifle marksman, so he must still fire a small arm from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom