Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yennie

Heir Presumptive
City
Skåne
Country
Sweden
The royal court will hold a press conference at 11.30 and ?? probably announce the divorce of prince Joachim and princess Alexandra

Hovet har kallat till presskonferens för att meddela nyheten för det danska folket.
Joachim, 35, och Alexandra, 40, har varit gifta i snart nio år och har två söner.
Statsminister Anders Fogh Rasmussen skall under förmiddagen meddela ledarna i de politiska partierna om nyheten.

Press meeting!!!!

Hi!!
We just wanted to tell you that in 5 minutes from now, there will be a press meeting at Amalienborg - it hasn't been told what it's about, but the press believes that it will be a divorce between Joachim and Alexandra!!!

We'l post as soon as we know :)

Last edited:
Its now official: They will divorce

Princess Alexandra and prince Joachim will get a divorce, the danish court announced a few minutes ago

Last edited by a moderator:
They are getting divorced!!!
Margrethe and Henrik are sorry, but they are sure that it'll be figured out with the kids and so. Joachim lives at Schakenborg and Alexandra at Amalienborg with the 2 boys!
She will be Her Highness Alexandra, not princess.....

They've said that they've agreed about it and will share the kids. They both want to continue with their duties, with organisations and so, and hopes that they'll be supported in their decisions!
They can't say what the main reasons are, but they still hope that the people and press will accept it!

Last edited:
I tought they said that she will still be called "prinsesse Alexandra"?

Also, princess Alexandras parents will continue living at thier house at Shackenborg

Yes, positive.
They will divorce but Alexandra will still be a princess and continue with her royal duties.
She and the children will stay at Amalienborg and Joachim will stay at Shackenborg.

I´m really shocked!I thought this were just gossip cheap rumours...

Yennie said:
Yes, positive.
They will divorce but Alexandra will still be a princess and continue with her royal duties.
She and the children will stay at Amalienborg and Joachim will stay at Shackenborg.
well, the couple has chosen their way; I hope they'll be fine in facing this difficult situation.
Julial said:
Could someone kindly translate this into English? Please ???
Yes.. I'll really appreciate if somebody could find the one in English version then post it here.

I saw the headlines on the Swedish gossip magazine "Svensk Damtidning" which said that the divorce was caused by Joachim's alcohol problems. But this must just be vicious rumour, don't you think?

What horribly sad news! Even thought there has been much speculation lately, I never really though that it was true. They really seemed like a couple who had it together. Their poor boys. :(

I saw this news at of all places, Imagine Scandinavia which has lots of photos of the couple's relationship and wedding and their kids. I was actually quite shocked to read this.

It seems to me to be a major bit of news ... or is that just me? It seemed that divorce was so rare in most other royal families other than the British and Monaco royal families.

But I guess marital relations must've been at such a crisis point that Margrethe would allow her son and daughter-in-law to divorce. Not to stir up trouble, but I wonder if the couple have wanted to divorce for some time but the Queen asked them to wait until after Frederik and Mary had been married for a few months and settled into their new life for a bit.

I guess sometimes there is truth to be found in those tabloid stories ... unfortunately.

Nobody can tell what the reasons were! It could be drinking problems or it could be thousands of other things!

Here's a translation of the statement. I'm sorry if someone's already made links or posted a translation and I hope it makes sense.

The Royal Family announces:
Their Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra, AMALIENBORG, September 16th 2004.

Her Majersty the Queen and his Royal Highness the Prince have instructed the Lord Chamberlain to announce that their Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have decided to separate with the intention to seek divorce.
It is with deep regret that the Queen and the Prince have accepted this decision. At the same time the Queen and the Prince will give their full support to Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra in the difficult time that lie ahead. The Queen and the Prince wish to take part in finding a worthy solution for their son and daughter-in-law and that the children Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix will be ensured safe conditions.

There's an agreement between Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra about the decision and the conditions regarding the separation.

Prince Joachim will be living at Schackenborg. For now Princess Alexandra will be staying in the couple's apartment at Amalienborg with Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix. During the time they will be separated Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra will keep her current title and after the divorce she will be addressed Her Highness Alexandra.

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra state:
"After many and hard considerations we have with mutual understanding decided to separate with the intention to seek divorce. There's an agreement between us about the conditions for the separation and together we will maintain custody of our children.

We each wish as far as possible to maintain our assignments including to take on official duties and continue the work with the organizations we are connected to. We have always experienced a great kindness and friendliness everywhere and we hope people will understand this difficult decision we've made".

Ole Ullerup, Lord Chamberlain.

This is such terribly sad news. I always love them together. I never thought the rumours had any truth in them. I really feel sorry for all of them. It must be such a tough decision on them all.

Princess Alexandra and Prince Joachim to Divorce

very saddening news

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2004/09/16/alexandradenmark/

The Royal Court has scheduled a press conference for 11.30 this morning, and is expected to announce the separation of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra The Royal Court has scheduled a press conference at The Yellow Palace at Amalienborg at 11.30. DR's Radioavisen has reported that the court plans to announce the separation of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra.

The Copenhagen Post is following this story as it develops.

The Royal Court has scheduled a press conference for 11.30 this morning, and is expected to announce the separation of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra The Royal Court has scheduled a press conference at The Yellow Palace at Amalienborg at 11.30. DR's Radioavisen has reported that the court plans to announce the separation of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra.

The Copenhagen Post is following this story as it develops.

another news

http://www.jp.dk/

Last edited:
Yennie said:
Also, princess Alexandras parents will continue living at thier house at Shackenborg
Why do they get a house in Denmark? Their daughter married a Prince not them! I see this as a real imposition on the Danish people!

While Princess Mary's father took a short term lecturing job in Copenhagen just after the wedding he did not expect to live permanently in Denmark at the expense of either the country or the Royal family.

Sad news indeed...

It is now official: :(

The Danish royal house confirmed on Thursday that Prince Joachim and his Hong Kong-born wife Princess Alexandra are to divorce after nine years of marriage.

Danish public radio announced the news earlier this week following rumours that the pair had been living separate lives. While the palace initially declined to confirm the reports, the news was made official at a press conference in the Yellow Palace at Amalienborg on Thursday.

The couple, who married in November 1995, have two children – five-year-old Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix, who's two.

According to a statement read by royal family chamberlain Ove Ullerup, Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik "deeply regretted" the couple's decision.

---

Too bad I can't really understand fully the whole statement on the official pages of the danish royal house... What a surprise!! I mean they looked happy...
confused.gif

I've read that according to a danish journalist, who writes often about the royal house, the cause of the divorce is his alcoholism.

OMG I can´t really believe this! I´ve thought the tabloids, which have published that, just wanted a story. IMO they didn´t look unhappy together and there children didn´t seem as if they would have suffered from a marriage-drama!

Mette2 said:
Here's a translation of the statement. I'm sorry if someone's already made links or posted a translation and I hope it makes sense.

The Royal Family announces:.....Ole Ullerup, Lord Chamberlain.
Thanks for the translation........still hard for me to believe it :(

Last edited:
There have certainly been mutterings in the press, but to me it came as a shock when my friend got a phone call as we were walking home from school.

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra seems to always have had diverging interests, but they have also seemed to work well together.

I hope everything will work out okay for Felix and Nikolai.

According to bt.dk this will be the first divorce in the Danish royal family in 165 years.

wymanda said:
Why do they get a house in Denmark? Their daughter married a Prince not them! I see this as a real imposition on the Danish people!

While Princess Mary's father took a short term lecturing job in Copenhagen just after the wedding he did not expect to live permanently in Denmark at the expense of either the country or the Royal family.

I think they're living in a house on Joachim's property of Schackenborg. Which is his private property, and no imposition on the Danish people. I'm quite sure that Alexandra's parents manage to support themselves, and are not a burden on the Danish people, nor the royal family.

wymanda said:
They have lived there for some time now. Its not because of the divorce or anything. I think they moved to Denmark because Richard Manley was ill and wanted to be closer to his daughter.
And i dont see a problem with them living on Shackenborg, its a private estate isn´t it?

haha, you beat me by seconds norweiganne :)

Sad news :( :( :(
I can't believe it .... too sad :(

VEry VEry sad news, especially for the two little boys, The familiy was just so perfect......

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10786067%255E1702,00.html
Danish prince to divorce

16sep04

Prince Joachim, Queen Margrethe's second son, will seek a divorce from his Hong Kong-born wife, Princess Alexandra, Danish public radio said today.

<SPAN class=bodytext>The palace declined to comment on the report, saying a news conference was scheduled later today.

Joachim is the younger brother to the heir to Denmark's throne, Crown Prince Frederik, who in May married Tasmanian-born Crown Princess Mary.

Joachim and Alexandra's divorce would be the first in modern times in Europe's oldest ruling monarchy, which traces its line back to the Viking king Gorm the Old, who died in 958.

For several months, Danish media have carried reports and rumours that the couple had been leading separate lives.

advertisement.gif

on error resume next ShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))if ( ShockMode

I wonder how this will go on. Will Alexandra really stay at Amalienborg after the divorce. And what is about big festivities (e.g. the baptism of Frederik´s first born). Will they appear together? Will she appear or will she "just" go on with her charities. Yes, maybe they manage it to become really good friends (like prince Andrew and Fergie...but in the opposite to Alexandra, Fergie´s problem was rather the lack of acceptance at the Royal court), but how many couples do? I hope they will find a solution for their children. But if I would be princess Alexandra I wouldn´t want to live in a Royal building and would seek for a little independece, even though it would be a shame for us (the Royal watchers), who love it to watch her as "princess".

Back
Top Bottom