Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a mandatory seperation period in Denmark before a divorce is granted?

I think that yesterday it was 20-something days until one of them could officially file the divorce-papers. (I'm not familiar with the terminology, sorry.)

No divorce - yet...

Danish newspaper BT reports that next week, on 22 March, it could be possible for Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra's divorce to be finalised, but that the couple will "only" be separated for a while more.

The couple separated on 22 September, and according to Danish law they can divorce after six months.

The Court confirms that the divorce will be a reality, but they do not want to say when. They noted that the day it will be all finalised, a notice will be sent out to make it public.

Official announcement from the Danish Royal Court

Deres Kongelige Højheder Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Alexandra
Amalienborg, den 23. marts 2005.

Hofmarskallatet meddeler:

Deres Kongelige Højheder Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Alexandra har i dag indgivet ansøgning om bevilling til skilsmisse efter forudgående separation. Sagen vil på samme måde som separationssagen blive behandlet af Ministeriet for Familie- og Forbrugeranliggender.

Deres Kongelige Højheder Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Alexandra udtaler:

"Den sympati og støtte, der er kommet fra så mange sider under separationen, har hjulpet os begge gennem en vanskelig tid og i høj grad været med til at sikre vore børn, Hans Højhed Prins Nikolai og Hans Højhed Prins Felix, gode og trygge rammer i hverdagen. De rammer vil vi gøre vort yderste for at bevare også efter skilsmissen".

Ove Ullerup
Hofmarskal

Summary:

Today the Office of the Court Marshall announced that Their Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have today filed for divorce after the period of separation.

Statement from the couple:
"The sympathy and support that have come from so many sides during the separation, have helped us both through a hard time and have been a part of securing our children’s, His Highness Prince Nikolai and His Highness Prince Felix, good and secure frame work in every day life. We will do our outmost to keep these frames also after the divorce."

I have learned that all good things must come to and end. The children will be alright as long as they have parents that love them, which I am sure they do, and a support network of friends and family to help them along. Life is life. Live it to the fullest. You only live once.

from copenhagenpost.com

Royals file for divorce

Search articles AllThis weekArchiveIn & Out

trans.gif
23.03.2005Print article (IE & NS 4+) Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have filed for a divorce Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have filed for a divorce, the Danish Royal Court announced on Wednesday.

Queen Margarethe announced in September that her youngest son and daughter-in-law wished to part, and the couple was separated on September 22. Danish laws forbid full divorce until six months have passed from a legal separation.

‘The sympathy and support that we have felt from so many directions during the separation have helped us both through a difficult time and contributed to give our children, His Highness Prince Nikolaj and His Highness Prince Felix, a good and safe framework in their everyday lives,’ the couple said in a joint press release. ‘We want to do everything in our power to maintain that framework after the divorce.’

After the divorce, Princess Alexandra will lose her title as Her Royal Highness and is only to be addressed as Her Highness. She will continue to live in the royal household at Amalienborg until her house north of Copenhagen is ready for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 months after separation, filed for divorce, anyone knows if the divorce is in effect once the paper is in or needs to wait another period of time for the divorce to be granted? btw, the translation is too short to be summary. And to this date, I still see the journalist use the couple to describe their activities. They are a couple no more since the separation.

I believe that the paper is going to be run through some routines at the ministry of Family and Consumers, who will grant them the divorce after checking everything out. I can't imagine that it will take too long, as they have already had a six months separation period, and seeing that it is a highly public divorce, I'm sure that whoever is handling the papers will do so quickly.

Denmark's other royals file for divorce
11:56 AEDT Thu Mar 24 2005

AP - Denmark's Prince Joachim and his Hong Kong-born wife Princess Alexandra have filed a request for divorce, the royal court has said.

The couple, who separated in October, have been married 10 years and have two sons, Prince Nikolai, 5, and Prince Felix, 2.

As Queen Margrethe's second son, 35-year-old Joachim is second in line to the throne after his older brother, Crown Prince Frederik.

"The sympathy and support we have enjoyed from several sides during the separation has helped us both through a difficult time," the prince and the princess said in a joint statement.

"And it has especially helped our children His Royal Highness Prince Nikolai and His Royal Highness Prince Felix to be safe and well," they said.

"We will do our utmost to maintain this safe situation after the divorce."

The royal court said it handed in the divorce request to the ministry for family affairs on Wednesday. An official at the ministry said the case would likely be processed within a few weeks.

The couple met in January 1994 in Hong Kong, where the prince was working for a Danish shipping company.

After marrying into Europe's oldest monarchy, Alexandra gave up her professional life as a mutual fund manager and dropped her British citizenship for a Danish passport.

Alexandra, 40, studied economics in Hong Kong, London and Vienna, and speaks German and French.

Since the couple announced the separation, Alexandra has emerged as the more popular of the two.

Before the separation, rumours of tension between the two surfaced in gossip magazines and tabloid newspapers but offered no clues a major rift had developed. The palace has declined to say why the couple is divorcing.

Danish media have described Alexandra as having a more professional attitude to her job than Joachim, who has been dubbed a "party prince" by tabloids and paparazzi magazines, due to his visits to discos.

Alexandra is expected to retain her royal title and receive an annual allowance of 1.7 million kroner ($A379,700) after the divorce.

Last year's separation announcement came four months after Crown Prince Frederik's wedding to Australian-born Crown Princess Mary.

logo_aap.jpg

©AAP 2005

I didn't like the tone of that article from AAP.
The way they are referring to Jochiam and Alexander as the 'other' royals, and then spend the majority of the article talking about popularity.
People are affected by divorce in differently ways.

Divorced!

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra are now officially divorced. The news was released by the Danish Royal Court today by this press release:

Skilsmisse

Amalienborg, den 8. april 2005

Ministeriet for Familie- og Forbrugeranliggender har oplyst, at der i dag efter ansøgning er meddelt Hans Kongelige Højhed Prins Joachim og Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Alexandra bevilling til skilsmisse.

Prinsessen vil som tidligere oplyst skulle tituleres Hendes Højhed Prinsesse Alexandra efter skilsmissen.

Ove Ullerup
Hofmarskal

Really Sad. that's is always sad when to people decide to go their seperate ways and when children are involved.

*sigh* This is so sad...I've been so used to having her as a Royal Highness and I still think she deserves the title after 10 years of service to Denmark. Not to mention for putting up with Joachim's publicized shinannigans.

Despite the fact that she's now no longer married to Prince Joachim, I think that she should be placed underneath the prince on the royal family website. After all she is the mother to the boys who are 3rd and 4th in line to the throne.

This is how it works in all royal families. Diana, Princess of Wales was the mother to the 2nd and 3rd in line to the throne and when she divorced, she was stripped of the HRH! So was Sarah, Duchess of York! And this would happen to any other woman who marries into the BRF and divorces. Of course, the divorces of Diana and Alexandra were vastly different!!!! I greatly admire and respect how Alexandra and Joachim behaved during this divorce! And despite the fact that she is at the 'bottom' of the family list, she still got a lesser title and is not cut off from the royal family! I have the greatest amount of respect for the Danish royals and how this divorce was handled! Other monarchies should take note!!!!!

Divorce to HRH Prince Joachim and HRH Princess Alexandra

Amalienborg, 8 April 2005

The Ministry of Family and Consumer Affairs has today granted a divorce to His Royal Highness Prince Joachim and Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra.

The Princess will be addressed as Her Highness Princess Alexandra after the divorce.

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

Well... the divorce has already been granted to both of them.

It is quite sad seeing their marriage fall into this situation. But it is really like that. There are just some relationships which does not work out. But I really admire them because they handled the 6 months period properly without causing very HUGE trouble. They still remain friends also. Good luck to them!

I think we should all look to the future now. The divorce was their wish because their marriage didn't work, and I'm sure we're all sad about that - but let's put this divorce behind us and wish all of the involved parties good luck in their new situation. There's no point of living in something that doesn't work. Most importantly is also that their boys are well and cared for, and this seems to be both of their priority and so far they seem to have handled it very well.

And I'm sure that Princess Alexandra will go on and represent Denmark and the Royal Family in the excellent way she has always done! :)

What happens To Alexandra's title of Joaqhim remarries?
Will she remain HH Princess Alexandra? Will she still represent charities?
Or do you think the danish RF will slowly wean her away from danish events?
What do you think her role will be in 5-10 years aside from raising her boys. :confused:

lashinka2002 said:
What happens To Alexandra's title of Joaqhim remarries?
Will she remain HH Princess Alexandra? Will she still represent charities?
Or do you think the danish RF will slowly wean her away from danish events?
What do you think her role will be in 5-10 years aside from raising her boys. :confused:

Should Joachim remarry, his second wife's title would be "Her Royal Highness". I don't think it would have any bearing on Alexandra's new title of "Her Highness". I believe that the only think that will change that is if Alexandra remarries.

I also think that she would still have her charities since she's still a member of the Danish Royal Family. As to the weaning off, I don't think so. She's an intergral part of the success of the Royal Family having served for their interests for so long. She will still carry on her functions, but I don't know past the time should Joachim remarry.

I know that the majority of the princesses have received their titles due to marriage as courtesy. However, Maxima was created a princess and is thus said to be a princess in her own right. Please correct me if I am wrong here. So, does Alexandra's new title since her divorce (and even if Joachim remarries) and the fact that she will continue to be addressed as her HH and still be considered a Princess of Denmark mean that Alexandra is also a princess in her own right? It seems that the only thing that has changed his her prefix from HRH to HH.

Isabel said:
I know that the majority of the princesses have received their titles due to marriage as courtesy. However, Maxima was created a princess and is thus said to be a princess in her own right. Please correct me if I am wrong here. So, does Alexandra's new title since her divorce (and even if Joachim remarries) and the fact that she will continue to be addressed as her HH and still be considered a Princess of Denmark mean that Alexandra is also a princess in her own right? It seems that the only thing that has changed his her prefix from HRH to HH.

Intresting, I'm not sure

An example we may be able to look to is the British royal family (I know they may do things slightly different)

England stripped diana of HRH and she was known only as princess of wales. Was she still a HH? I guess the question is was Diana created princess in her own right and after the divorce was she still considered a princess in your own right? (I wonder what they woud have called her now that Charles has remarried)

If she was made a princess in her own right upon her marraige and then stripped of it upon her divorce I guess its really still not considered her own, maybe her own right by marriage if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Diana was a princess in her own right. She was always either Diana, Princess of Wales, or The Princess of Wales before the divorce, no Princess Diana of Wales.

Queen Margrethe decided Alexandra's title when they got married, and I would assume that she was indeed made a princess in her own right without being 100% certain about it. But, should she remarry she would take on her new husband's name, etc... and, unlike the Norwegian royal family, who has a tradition for allowing the Princesses to keep their title, but not the HRH-style, the Danish royal family doesn't seem to have a precedent in modern time for what it does when a princess marries a commoner... that I'm aware of, without having studied it extensively.

I think what makes Joachim and Alexandra's divorce even more sad for me is that their marriage showed such great promise of that 'happily-ever-after, ride-off-into-the-sunset' quality. Especially in that picture of them during their wedding dance when Alex had her head tilted up towards Joachim's face so lovingly. Plus, she's given up so much of her life as she knew it to become a hard-working royal. All divorces are sad, but theirs was the most poignant for me.

I wonder how long Joachim and Alexandra put up with the happy family facade? months, years? We will never know.

Following on the previous ... despite it not being 'said', the way Joachim and Alexandra express themselves ... is surely along the accord(s) of what was laid down by the Kongehuset.

If some-one could differentiate between what Joachim, Alexandra and the Kongehuset said ... I would be ever so grateful.

hrhcp said:
Yennie,
It is more than kind for you to print (transcript?) this, but for us poor non-Danish readers ... it is .... how shall I say ... so much .... pidgeon-speak !!!!!

Pigeons speak Danish? Who knew?:lol:

We revised our rules in November, and for copyright reasons we're not allowing posting of complete articles any more; we're also asking people who post links to foreign-language articles to give a short English summary of the main points of the article. I hope that helps.

hrhcp said:
Yennie,
It is more than kind for you to print (transcript?) this, but for us poor non-Danish readers ... it is .... how shall I say ... so much .... pidgeon-speak !!!!!

If you don't know Danish, there's no need to remain in the dark hrhcp. I didn't know Danish either but I found this Danish English translator to be helpful. It makes a lot of mistakes for sure but you get the gist of the article.

I've found it helpful when following the DRF even outside of The Royal Forums. A lot of the more informative articles come from Billed-Bladet which doesn't have an English version. So if I go to the website ... Billed-Bladet: Danmarks Royale Ugeblad... and find an article I'm interested in, I just pull up the translator and translate it myself.

The translator works better when you put in a few sentences at a time.

Last edited:
ysbel said:
If you don't know Danish, there's no need to remain in the dark Yennie. I didn't know Danish either but I found this Danish English translator to be helpful. It makes a lot of mistakes for sure but you get the gist of the article.

I've found it helpful when following the DRF even outside of The Royal Forums. A lot of the more informative articles come from Billed-Bladet which doesn't have an English version. So if I go to the website ... Billed-Bladet: Danmarks Royale Ugeblad... and find an article I'm interested in, I just pull up the translator and translate it myself.

The translator works better when you put in a few sentences at a time.
I had forgot about this post :)
I´m swedish so ofcourse I understand danish aswell. So reading articles in Billed Bladet and other danish magazines works just fine... but hearing a dane speak is very confusing and I must say I dont understand half of it. Its so hard to hear what they are saying... I need written words :flowers:

The announcement was made by the danish court. I dont think Alexandra or Joachim personally made any sort of statement about their divorce

Back
Top Bottom