Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was post-announcement. The picture was taken on Monday Sept. 20th.

Thanks Alisa!

New Article from CNN.com

Divorce strain for Danish royals

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 Posted: 1146 GMT (1946 HKT)

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Prince Joachim said Tuesday his family was enduring a tough time following the announcement that he would divorce his wife of nearly nine years, Princess Alexandra.

In his first comments since last week's announcement, Joachim said he was dealing with the difficulty by focusing on his duties.

"It is a very difficult period that my family and I are going through," Joachim said at the opening of a wetlands environmental preservation project in southwestern Denmark.

"It has a great significance for me that I can continue my official duties and tasks," he said.

Denmark was left agog when the palace said that Joachim, 35, and Alexandra, 40, planned to split. It would be the first divorce in the Danish royal family since 1846.

Rumors of tension between the couple -- who have two children -- have surfaced in the last month in gossip magazines and tabloid newspapers, but offered no clues that a major rift had developed. The palace has declined to say why the couple was separating.

The media, which usually maintains a respectful distance from the private lives of the royal family, has come out with banner headlines about purported bad behavior by Joachim, including drinking and late nights dancing.

The royal family has tried to keep the divorce a subdued affair. When asked by one reporter Tuesday about the couple's separation agreement, Joachim snarled: "If you want to be impertinent, you are not welcome here."

The couple met in 1994 in Hong Kong, where Joachim was working for a Danish shipping company.

After she married into the royal family, which is descended from Viking king Gorm the Old, who died in 958, Alexandra gave up her career as a mutual fund manager and dropped her British citizenship for Danish.

Since the divorce announcement, Alexandra has emerged as the more popular of the two.

Media have described her as having a more professional attitude to her job than Joachim, who has been dubbed a "party prince" by one tabloid.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/09/21/denmark.royal.ap/index.html

Finding meaningful purpose

at the risk of sounding insouciant, I wonder if Joachim might not have a vision issue with himself.

Alexandra knows how to work and achieve;
while Joachim has been served his life on a silver plate, and is resentful of this and her success.

What makes it doubly difficult for him, is that from birth on, he has to play "second fiddle" to his brother. That is, I would argue he can not be more successful than his brother. Could you 'see it' if he was hugely successful in business or whatever, and thus pulls in more prime-time media time than his brother? I can't.

Also, he's stuck on a farm on the other side of the country, and as we know from a comment he made the other day, his farm is going down the tubes (and I would speculate is not profitable now). A lessening of agriculture subsidies from the EU (about time), and furthermore competition from the cheap new east EU-countries (Poland, etc).

Also, in this modern society of ours, the feminine partners of the royals get the spotlight ... not like the old days when the men were in the lime-light. imho the latter viewpoint prevailed in the formative years of Joachim's childhood. Such drastic changes imho take generations for society to adapt to. Imo, this irked Prince Charles extensively, and may be a bother to Prince Philippe of Belgium.

Given that men aren't in the baby-making profession (just that of baby-creating) .... men express their admiration for women in this regard in a demeaning display. Most men feel imho intrinsically inferior and thus cannot cope with the additional successes of woman. Witness Prince Henrik, Prince Philip, Prince Claus.

So .... from my point of view, my thoughts are with Joachim in this time of woe. I am inclined to think, he will go downhill some more, before - I hope he - turns the corner in finding a justifiable purpose for himself in his life.

Last edited:
Nikolajs first day at Krebs skole

Moonlightrhapsody said:
Do you know when that picture was taken, Mandy? Alexandra and Joachim look civil in that one and I wonder if it was pre or post divorce announcement...
The picture is from this Monday.So it is a very fresh one.
Lajla

Here´s another new pic. If I didnt knew they were getting a divorce I never would have guess it :/

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0409/22/NYHETER-22s06-nikolai-33_368.jpg

Tillsammans igen - för sonens skull

Prins Joachim och hans Alexandra kämpar för att hålla skenet uppe.
I måndags följde det nyskilda paret sonen Nikolai till skolan.
Men först ringde de pressen.
Det var första gången paret visade sig tillsammans efter skilsmässan.
När lillprinsen Nikolai började i skolan följde både pappa Joachim och mamma Alexandra med som stöd och sällskap.
Utanför Krebs Skole på Østerbro i Köpenhamn väntade rektorn Mikael Fink-Jensen som välkomnade prinsen med öppna armar. Skolan är kungafamiljens favorit då både prins Joachim och kronprins Frederik var elever där en gång i tiden.

Tipsade pressen
På plats fanns även tidningen B.T. som tog en mängd bilder på familjen som glatt ställde upp.
I går publicerades nyheten exklusivt på fyra sidor i tidningen.
Det var ingen slump.
Enligt Aftonbladets källor tipsade Joachim själv kvällstidningen om skolstarten då han ansåg att deras konkurrent Ekstra Bladet skrivit rena lögner om honom. Bland annat publicerade de storyn om att prinsen raggade upp gymnasieflickor på sin fritid.

Blev vansinnig
- Joachim fick nog och blev vansinnig. Därför kontaktade han deras konkurrent. Det här var hans hämnd, säger en källa och fortsätter:
- Det här var också ett sätt för Alexandra att visa att hon fortfarande stöder sin make när det gäller barnen.
På frågan om Nikolai kunde läsa svarade prins Joachim stolt:
- Nej, men han kan engelska och det är vi som har gett honom lektionerna.
www.aftonbladet.se

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Yennie for sharing that lovely picture with us. Nikolai looks happier coming out of school.

Now What Happens?

I know it's been asked and answered, but humor an old woman :) What happens to Alexandra in terms of her royal title and duties, who gets to keep the boys, and where do the boys fall in relation to heirs to the throne?

mgrant said:
I know it's been asked and answered, but humor an old woman :) What happens to Alexandra in terms of her royal title and duties, who gets to keep the boys, and where do the boys fall in relation to heirs to the throne?
Here's what I know so far, if I'm incorrect, someone correct me!

For the duration of the separation, she retains the title "Her Royal Highness". After the divorce, she may be referred to as "Her Highness" but it's up to the Queen to decide if she will keep her title. I don't know about her duties, though.

Who gets to keep the boys? Well, in reality, Denmark gets to keep the boys; they can't leave the country because of the succession law. Since they're third and fourth in line for the throne, they can't leave without the permission of the Queen. This could change when Fredrik has his own children. Custody of Nikolai and Felix will be joint, I hear.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
Here's what I know so far, if I'm incorrect, someone correct me!

For the duration of the separation, she retains the title "Her Royal Highness". After the divorce, she may be referred to as "Her Highness" but it's up to the Queen to decide if she will keep her title. I don't know about her duties, though.

Who gets to keep the boys? Well, in reality, Denmark gets to keep the boys; they can't leave the country because of the succession law. Since they're third and fourth in line for the throne, they can't leave without the permission of the Queen. This could change when Fredrik has his own children. Custody of Nikolai and Felix will be joint, I hear.

To further embellish on what has already been explained here:

I think it has already been determined that Alexandra's title post divorce will be Her Highness Princess Alexandra (rather than Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra.

She will carry on with the royal duties and organizations she has been affiliated with since coming to Denmark and marrying Prince Joachim. The Danish royal family is so small as it is, that to lose one member would mean losing a patron for dozens if not hundreds of organizations. There will be no divying up of Alexandra's charities and organizations to the Queen, Beneditke or Mary -- unless Alexandra decides herself that she no longer wants to work with them but to focus more time on a particular organization. (The idea of Alexandra devoting more time to UNICEF has been bandied about on discussion boards but nothing official from either the Danish royal court or UNICEF; I think it's just too soon for anyone, including Alexandra, to decide such things.)

In terms of Nikolai and Felix, they will continue to live with their mother -- although Joachim and Alexandra will have joint custody of their sons and in parenting them.

mgrant said:
I read on a Danish website that Alexandra will be paid for the duties she performs for the royal family after the divorce. Dont know if its official though.

Divorce Full Throttle

Once a "royal couple" announces they are getting a divorce without annoucing a formal separation is there any going back? I am sure in this particular situation there is no turning back, but is it a likely possiblity given they make an annoucement. Would any of you annouce something so publicly without much trepidation without giving yourself anyway of getting out? I mean didn't Charles and Diana and Andrew and Fergie announce a "formal separation," before asking for a divorce? Jochaim and Alexandera have gone full throttle by annoucing they plan to seek a divorce. No separation?

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I read on a Danish website that Alexandra will be paid for the duties she performs for the royal family after the divorce. Dont know if its official though.
I think it is now that Alexandra will get a seperate allowance from Joachim. While they were both married, and as is the case with Frederik and Mary, Frederik is paid a salary from the civil list (or whatever it is called) and a percentage of Frederik's salary goes to Mary. But before the divorce announcement there was some talk of giving Alexandra a seperate allowance from Joachim, and I think that likely that is the case now as Alexandra will continue to carry on her royal duties and should of course be compensated for it.

oh okay.
but wouldn't her allowance be smaller now? I suppose if she also gets paid for her services then it all evens out

Akilah said:
Jochaim and Alexandera have gone full throttle by annoucing they plan to seek a divorce. No separation?
Actually, they are already on a separation period but I heard that they need to be separated at least six months before divorcing.

Alexandria said:
I think it is now that Alexandra will get a seperate allowance from Joachim. While they were both married, and as is the case with Frederik and Mary, Frederik is paid a salary from the civil list (or whatever it is called) and a percentage of Frederik's salary goes to Mary. But before the divorce announcement there was some talk of giving Alexandra a seperate allowance from Joachim, and I think that likely that is the case now as Alexandra will continue to carry on her royal duties and should of course be compensated for it.
I hope Alexandra will recieve her own allowance once her divorce is final. She does a lot of charity work and is an excellent representative for Denmark. She deserves to be compensetated, just like members of parliment and the prime minister are. Does anyone know if other royals who divorce were given an allowance from
the civil list? I think in the case of Princess Diana she only got a lump sum payment and a small allowance for her office.

05/10 04Folketingets åbning. Regentparret, Kronprinsparret, H.K.H. Prins Joachim, H.K.H. Prinsesse Alexandra og H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte er til stede, kl. 12.00.

both will be at the opening of Folketingets so good to see that they include alexandra i was not sure they would

I´ve now seen the new pics of Alexandra, I have looked at the pictures of Nikolai´s first day at school in Copenhagen again, and I´ve now seen that Alexandra and Joachim will have an official engagement together...is it just me or are there others, who still think, that this divorce-thing can´t be true, that it´s just a joke?! Of course I know the facts and that it is true, but my feeling still says "where is the problem, I can´t see a problem". How is it possible that they still deal so friendly with each other (that one takes Nikolai´s left hand and the other one the right at the same time)?! They have my deepest admiration. The press is creating an other picture of Joachim now, but for me this doesn´t matter. Joachim has class and decency. Not many men would do, what he´s doing now!

I personally don't understand why the press finds it necessary to dig up trash....

It is there job to report on their public lives. The private lives of people be it whoever they may be is the not publics business. The press has lost all sense of propriety.

alex & jo

I can't believe alexandra and joachim are separated and getting a divorce

yeah well ive had time to get used to it now lol

Lena said:
I´ve now seen the new pics of Alexandra, I have looked at the pictures of Nikolai´s first day at school in Copenhagen again, and I´ve now seen that Alexandra and Joachim will have an official engagement together...is it just me or are there others, who still think, that this divorce-thing can´t be true, that it´s just a joke?! Of course I know the facts and that it is true, but my feeling still says "where is the problem, I can´t see a problem". How is it possible that they still deal so friendly with each other (that one takes Nikolai´s left hand and the other one the right at the same time)?! They have my deepest admiration. The press is creating an other picture of Joachim now, but for me this doesn´t matter. Joachim has class and decency. Not many men would do, what he´s doing now!
I think many men would be protective of their children and do the right thing.

Moonlightrhapsody said:

If Joachim remarries and has children with his new wife, do Nikolai and Felix still remain as the third and fourth in line for the throne?

Scanorama said:
If Joachim remarries and has children with his new wife, do Nikolai and Felix still remain as the third and fourth in line for the throne?
Yes :)

But by the time Joachim remarries, they probably aren't 3rd and 4th in the line to the throne - probably Mary and Frederik would have had children by then :)

Nikolai and Felix would still supercede any children Joachim might have with a remarriage. They are the oldest children of Joachim and since they were a product of his marriage to Alexandra, they are legitimate heirs. Even when Frederik has children of his own, Nikolai and Felix are still in line, albeit further down the succession line. Only after the two boys would any children Joachim and a second wife would fall in line.

Scanorama said:
Of course! That won't change at all! (e.g. Charles and Diana's divorce didn't affect William's chances of inheriting the throne).

The only way they will be displaced as 3rd and 4th in line is when Frederik & Mary have children. F&M's children will follow Frederik, so even Joachim will be displaced as 2nd in line....

Last edited:
Scanorama said:
If Joachim has more children, they will follow in succession behind Nikolai and Felix respectively.

Nikolai and Felix are third and fourth in line to the throne until Frederik and Mary have children. Their first child will then become second in line to the throne, pushing Joachim to third, followed by his sons. The more kids Frederik and Mary have the further back Joachim and his sons will be pushed back in the succession to the throne.

Back
Top Bottom