Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I strongly admire how well this couple had handled their marriage problmes so far, the only suspicious sign of problem I sensed was when PJ didn't show up at his brother's engagement annoucement. No matter how important his other official duty - visiting Saudi - was, could it more important the engagement of CP? When I saw a lonely Alex stood beside the happy CP couple, I did ask myself what's wrong with her marriage but never thought it would be in this bad shape.

Instead of discussing whose fault leads to the eventual divorce , I'd rather watch how the royal house will handle the divorce process & the after-divorce treatment of Alex, which will decide whether there will be Di-Charles-ish drama or not.

For the sake of their two little kids, it is better for them to live with their parents who are separated/divorced but happy rather than togather but fighting or depressed. A sensible & matured woman as Alex, she should have no problem to bring up their kids as healthy & happy children.

Cheer up, Alex!

felipa said:
I strongly admire how well this couple had handled their marriage problmes so far, the only suspicious sign of problem I sensed was when PJ didn't show up at his brother's engagement annoucement. No matter how important his other official duty - visiting Saudi - was, could it more important the engagement of CP? When I saw a lonely Alex stood beside the happy CP couple, I did ask myself what's wrong with her marriage but never thought it would be in this bad shape.
Joachim and Alexandra were both at Frederik and Mary's engagement press conference. There were very few pictures of Joachim and Alexandra (as should be the case since it was Frederik and Mary's day!) but I distinctly remember seeing two: One when Frederik and Mary arrived for the press conference and were greeted by the Queen and Prince Henrik and there was a picture of Joachim and Alexandra greeting and hugging Frederik and Mary.

Then Joachim and Alexandra attended the gala dinner celebrating the engagement. There was a formal picture taken of the two couples with the Queen and Henrik sitting in the middle.

Alisa said:
I don't think so, because they both looked quite happy later on during the day..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/queenanne2005/Danish%20Royal%20Wedding/23645343.jpg borrowed from the CPME MB
You're right Alisa.

That was one picture from an isolated moment. The Queen and Henrik don't look all that happy in the same picture sitting in the church next to Joachim and Alexandra either but there aren't any announcements of their marriage on the rocks and getting divorced. Likely it was a long wait for Mary or just having to sit in those chair in those volunimous gowns that was uncomfortable, and after all, who can smile constantly?

I think that in hindsight, Joachim and Alexandra each did a relatively good job of hiding their marital problems. There were lots of rumours and published reports of their marriage on their rocks, but publicly, during the week of Frederik and Mary's wedding and wedding activities, the Queen's birthday, Prince Henrik and Princess Benedikte's birthday celebrations, Joachim and Alexandra looked like a perfectly content couple. I think that is why so many people, including myself, were quite shocked by the divorce announcement. Had they shown strains of marital problems publicly there wouldn't be this much shock. I can't say that too many people were shocked to hear of Charles and Diana's intentions to seperate, and that Joachim and Alexandra's announcement to do so had the exact opposite effect.

I think Joachim's having midlife crisis. He does seem to be going wild for a few months now.

As for the age difference, I think it might have played a part in them drifting apart, but not the ultimate cause of the break-up.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I think Joachim's having midlife crisis. He does seem to be going wild for a few months now.

As for the age difference, I think it might have played a part in them drifting apart, but not the ultimate cause of the break-up.
Is Joachim really old enough to have a midlife crisis? I think part of the problem on his part is perhaps he married too young. I mean he was only 25/26 when he got married, most people that age have just finished school and are starting their careers.

A 5 year age difference is not a big difference. The Queen and her husband have a 8 year difference and despite a few ups and downs it's clear they're very much in love. I mean today hollywood stars are dating people 10 to 15 years their senior/junior ... age has nothing to do with what makes a good marriage.

I think over the past few years, their personalities have become conflicted. Alexandra seems like a very hard working professional person who often puts her duties ahead of her own personal needs. While Joachim, who does perform duties well, likes to "let his hair down" more often then alexsandra.

I found it very sad to hear that Prince Jochaim and Princess Alexander are divorcing. I, however, don't blame either party for this unfortuate happening. I only hope that the children turnout alright even though any divorce whether amicable or not is dishardening to any child involved, even if they are grown. I pray that this couple took note of the mistakes made by other royal couples (Charles and Diana/Princess Margaret and Lord Swondon) and famous persons (Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman) and hold no grudges. What is done is done ,and there is no going back. Just remember the innocent children and look ahead to brighter days. And if, you cannot cannot fight as higher to love one another then done kill each other when you divorce. Remember we, the public, want remember the divorce as much as how you proceed after? Good Luck and May God Bless You All

felipa said:
Do you mean this event?

Eng1.jpg

If so, then Joachim was there (between QM and PH) although he didn't stand next to Alex. I think that had more to do with arranging people by height - if Alex stood beside Joachim she would be blocked by Mary even if Alex is a step up - rather than a sign of A & J's problems.

Cheer up, Alex!
And cheer up, Joachim!!!

I hope they develop a Fergie-Andrew type relationship. Those two have a very close relationship and still seem very happy with eachother. Although, the best scenario would be if they managed to work out their differences during this one-year trial separation and get back together. But that likely won't happen. :(

I agree with you. I hope that even if they do divorce, they remain close friends. Or at the very least, on civil terms with one another. If for nothing else, then for their boys.

It's so sad. They seem so in love and were just perfect together. I'm sure they will both maintain a friendly relationship. Despite the negative media on the prince, i'm sure they are both mature and responsible adults and will want only the best for both the crown and their kids. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll have witness some telling shows from either one of them and until the announcement, all the pics of them show a very united couple. I really respect both of them for not airing their "dirty" laundry in public...unlike other royals.

paulette said:
I really agree with your statement.
I may sometimes side with Princess Alexandra or sometimes with Prince Joachim but it is not just the fault of one person but the two of them.

In any kind of relationship, it never works out if both the two persons involved doesn't give and take. It should never happen that one always gives and doesn't receive something and vice-versa.

I don't also like the way the media is treating this very important matter for the persons directly affected by this are their two children, Nikolai and Felix. Maybe they don't have yet the full knowledge and understanding of what is really going on but I know that they are deeply hurt by this hapenning. That's why I am glad that Queen Margrethe II said that the safety of both her grandchildren should be ensured.

We may not have been expecting that the misunderstandings of the princely couple would reach to the point of having a divorce but we should then respect their decision if that is for the benefit of all the persons involved.

I wish them luck in all their undertakings.
i agree 100%

If theyve announced divorce in 6 months it means that its final and behind the scnes there would've been lots of counselling, etc etc. Especially considering the queen was inisting they stay married for life, etc and parliament is involved.

I feel bad for PA mainly because she is a Princess with a big P as she said in that interview and she's only a Princess by marriage. her identity is what she married into as well as her popularity. By divorcing she's techincally not royalty anymore. What if she finds someone else to marry? That would be weird being a Princess yet she's married someone else. What if she wanted to in 5 years time get a paid job? It can't be easy and i bet that the decision to divorce wouldn't have been made lightly - for both. PJ whilst is gettting media blame...is just getting media blame he's still royalty. PA will still have to keep justifying her existence as a princess even more. Interesting dichotomy that she's more royal than he is!

ews said:
i agree 100%
By divorcing she's techincally not royalty anymore. What if she finds someone else to marry? That would be weird being a Princess yet she's married someone else. What if she wanted to in 5 years time get a paid job?

I believe that if she does remarry she won't have the Princess title any more. And if she marries it really makes no sense for her to carry out duties for Denmark, either.

I don't think it's wrong that she will continue to act in a slightly modified role as a princess, after the divorce, and as long as she's unmarried. Being mother to two of the people in line to the throne, well, they need some examples on how Mum and Dad can still work well together, even if they're not married any more. But if she marries another, then I think Alexandra's life should become more anonymous. I think that hypothetical event is so far into the future, that by that time the royal family will hopefully have grown some in Frederik and Mary's branch.

I can't really see Alexandra working a "real" job in Denmark. Not because she isn't qualified, but because Denmark is a small country, and wherever she would work, I think, she would still be tied with the Royal family. Her own identity has sort of molded into theirs over the past nine years.

She won't be royalty anymore. But she won't be normal either. Being divorced from a royal person, automatically puts you in the spotlight, whether you want to, or not.

when i read it in the newspaper,i could not believe it!the wedding was sort of a fairy tale since she was not your average 'princess' since she was a non white and i was proud of her and i admired joachim and his family for accepting her and going against the norm.the decesion to divorce could not have been an easy and instant decesion,ther must have been problems between them from the time of the wedding and the preparations(for mary and Cp Fred).it is just very sad ,becos it marks the end of a fairytale.i really am saddened at the news!

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
I believe that if she does remarry she won't have the Princess title any more. And if she marries it really makes no sense for her to carry out duties for Denmark, either.

I don't think it's wrong that she will continue to act in a slightly modified role as a princess, after the divorce, and as long as she's unmarried. Being mother to two of the people in line to the throne, well, they need some examples on how Mum and Dad can still work well together, even if they're not married any more. But if she marries another, then I think Alexandra's life should become more anonymous. I think that hypothetical event is so far into the future, that by that time the royal family will hopefully have grown some in Frederik and Mary's branch.

I can't really see Alexandra working a "real" job in Denmark. Not because she isn't qualified, but because Denmark is a small country, and wherever she would work, I think, she would still be tied with the Royal family. Her own identity has sort of molded into theirs over the past nine years.

She won't be royalty anymore. But she won't be normal either. Being divorced from a royal person, automatically puts you in the spotlight, whether you want to, or not.
Thats why i feel bad for her. Her marriage made her Danish identity and as she may find love again, etc it means part of what she loves doing - all her chariftable work etc - as a figurehead will disappear or have to because she's no longer royal. It would then be like she never existed. She won't have privacy like her old life but she also won't be royal, she'd be somewhere in between, which I imagine would be hard as hell to deal with.

And if she doesn't find happiness again, she's tied to an old life and governed by protocol.

wymanda said:
How do you figure that!!
She "acts" more royal outwardly than Joachim. She does more official duties and has to sit through boring speeches etc etc. For the most part she's been far more discreet than he has - ie more royal.

She "acts" more royal outwardly than Joachim.
You mean she shows her arrogance. Her whole demenour is superior and stuck up.

She does more official duties and has to sit through boring speeches etc etc.
Joachim has chosen to take a backseat and run his business. He strikes me as a fairly reserved man who has long been in the shadow of his more outgoing and charismatic brother.

For the most part she's been far more discreet than he has - ie more royal.
Do you have proof of this or is your opinion based on press rumour and innuendo?

wymanda said:
You mean she shows her arrogance. Her whole demenour is superior and stuck up.
Wrong;clearly a statement made by someone who is not objective but dislikes a person period. Alexandra has never behaved that way and I don't think that many people would agree with your assessment.

I don't believe that either has "acted more royal" than the other and find that statement in itself to be ridiculous. The only difference between Joachim and Alexandra is that Alex had more public duties and still does than Joachim. Joachim fulfilled his obligations, but was also (and still is) the primary person who is in charge of Shackenborg business. They made plans and they tried to deal out their responsibilities as equally as possible. Clearly, Joachim cannot run a farm which can be very hands on at time if he did as much travel as Alex. Let's be reasonable and fair for the sake of goodness, everyone.

Neither of them is stuckup and I don't think that either contributed less or more to Denmark. Each has had their roles and done well. I am really annoyed with everyone who is so surprised by this divorce trying to pass blame on one of the two parties involved. Two people were married and now two people have mutually decided to get a divorce.

No one hear knows what really happened and I am sick of all of this Joachim is gay, or still a "party Prince". The entire Alex couldn't handle it because she is a commoner is also annoying. All of sudden she is this deamon from the East who never fit in and never contributed. Need I point out the various Royals (born royal) who have had divorces-G. Britain leads the way-Charles, Andrew, Anne, and Margaret just to name a few. Rumour has it that even a couple that has been together as long as the Duke and Duchess of Kent are supposedly considering divorce.

This entire situation has been handled very well by all involved and I hope that it continues to be this way. However, the media is certainly doing its best at this point to see to it that doesn't continue.

Last edited:
Joachim and Alexandra Divorce

I was rambling through Getty Images when I saw it. I would have never seen anything like this coming. It is very sad. I would guess that there is no chance for a reconciliation. They seemed happy at the wedding reception for Frederik and Mary.

Gee, it's such a shock I can't get over it:(! This is a picture of the Danish Lord Chamberlain about to announce the divorce.

Attachments

• Joachim and Alexandra divorce - Lord Chamberlain Ove Ullerup.jpg
    Joachim and Alexandra divorce - Lord Chamberlain Ove Ullerup.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 260
Hi
The danish papers have had stories about just how stuck up she become, having fits at her staff ect ect I guess that this storie has some familiar eccos of charles and diana, a man who get out-shined by his wife.

mixer2002de said:
Well partying with other women.
Beeing totally drunk.
And a lot of debts about 2.7 Mio? thats what the German reports summarizies.

Well thats enough to be fed up for a spouse. I think.
I'm gonna rule with you mixer. This is what I've also read in various Scandinavian news papers as well as gossip magazines.

Tomorrow Joakin will have to come out from hiding, cant wait.

I believe, we should let Joachim and Alexandra resolve this situation in their own time and and in their own fashion. No doubt, they are acting out of concern for their young sons.

As for Joachim's and Alexandra's behaviour, we cannot predict what they will do or feel. And, we don't know if their behaviour is a cause or a result of the separation.

We must remember that a separation/divorce can be a very traumatic experience. It is the end of a relationship, the loss of a partner. Often times, one goes through the same (5)stages of grieving that one experiences at the death of one's partner. The coping mechanisms also vary with each individual. We can only guess how Joachim and Alexandra would feel or cope. And, I would rather not guess .

Besides, I don't want to decipher what is cause or effect or gossip; I feel that Joachim and Alexandra can best judge their own situation.

Wrong;clearly a statement made by someone who is not objective but dislikes a person period. Alexandra has never behaved that way and I don't think that many people would agree with your assessment.
I don't know enough about Alexandra to dislike her! My opinion comes from what I have seen of her on TV and in the press. Even her manner of dressing for formal occassions gives her a "superior" manner. The endless trains on all of her evening gowns, etc, etc, etc.
It is merely a perception and my opinion.

I think in relation to gossip, is that not where we always get out oppinion from, in the good times and in the bad, did we not blindly belive that they were happy, I really do belive some of the bad stuff that's been written about both of them now, just like I belives some of the happy stories. Well good news is they both took their son to school on his first day.

krone1 said:
I think in relation to gossip, is that not where we always get out oppinion from, in the good times and in the bad, did we not blindly belive that they were happy, I really do belive some of the bad stuff that's been written about both of them now, just like I belives some of the happy stories. Well good news is they both took their son to school on his first day.
Do you form an opinion based on gossip or on factual news? It will take a lot more than gossip magazines and German magazines to influence my judgement and my opion of anybody. Joachim and Alexandra are worth more than those cheap mags anyway.

I an sad they have and are going through so much. I wish that they would just give it a second chance, and realize that thier love for eachother is deeper than a divorce to close off thier family.

Mandy said:
Do you form an opinion based on gossip or on factual news? It will take a lot more than gossip magazines and German magazines to influence my judgement and my opion of anybody. Joachim and Alexandra are worth more than those cheap mags anyway.
I think I form my opinion on a little bit of both, it was also the the gossip magazines Estra Bladet and Se og Hor (danish papers), who even mentioned that a divorce might be on the way, no way will I belive everything I read, same as no way will i belive people are happy just because they smile.

Back
Top Bottom