Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if little prince Felix should have been a "save-the-marriage-baby". It´s so strange, that they get separated only 2 years after his birth. In their position they surely have thought more than twice about their decision and have tried all to save the marriage. I can´t imagine that they just had problems in the last couple of months.

Lena said:
I wonder if little prince Felix should have been a "save-the-marriage-baby". It´s so strange, that they get separated only 2 years after his birth. In their position they surely have thought more than twice about their decision and have tried all to save the marriage. I can´t imagine that they just had problems in the last couple of months.
I can't imagine either. Many posters have said there have been problems for years. Posters who say that, what do you mean? What indications did you read or see that made you think they had problems for years? I can't find it in photos, and I don't have access to the Danish papers. But what signs were there in anyone's opinion or observation? Please be specific.

This is truly tragic news. I thought that Joachim was a responsible prince initially. I guess poor Alex got fed up with his "childish" behavior. I feel really bad for the boys. I hope that J & A's split will be as amicable as possible.

Paulina said:
I can't imagine either. Many posters have said there have been problems for years. Posters who say that, what do you mean? What indications did you read or see that made you think they had problems for years? I can't find it in photos, and I don't have access to the Danish papers. But what signs were there in anyone's opinion or observation? Please be specific.
I´ve never seen ANY sign, that they are unhappy. I´ve even defended them last week in a post on an other MB and have said, that tabloids just want a story. I couldn´t believe it, and I guess there are many on this board, who couldtn´t either. For me they were as couple almost as "perfect" as Queen Margrethe and prince Henrik. And even the latest pictures (those from Saturday) didn´t give me an indication, that there´s something wrong!
But obviously there was something wrong. And I think it was for a longer time, because both, Alexandra and Joachim seem to me, as if they would be wise people with a sense for responsibility. IMO they don´t belong to this category to which princess Stephanie belongs...the category of ppl, who get married a few times in life, for which it´s always the big love in the beginning, but which also always ends with a crash. I think they have tried all to save the marriage (for their children, for the danish monarchy, and maybe even for the idea of a "life-long marriage")...and when you try "all" you can´t do this in 5 weeks or so.

It seems as though these problems have been building for a long time. This may explain why the Queen or Joachim hasn't given Alexandra another tiara, which is something a lot of people here have been wondering about.

do you think we will see interwives with A and J in the future talking about this.

in the TV Show - year with the royal family is there interwies with all the family members and do you think it will be about the dicorce

Josefine said:
do you think we will see interwives with A and J in the future talking about this.

in the TV Show - year with the royal family is there interwies with all the family members and do you think it will be about the dicorce
I can only imagine an interview done by either party if they feel the tabloidal portrayal of them is very negative. That is if for Prince Joachim was being blamed in the media as the reason for the divorce and Princess Alexandra wants to to clarify that she was also equally guilty in the relationship.

Josefine said:
We think they have to mention it! The queen will probably have to mention it as well in her New Year's speech!

But we certainly don't hope they will be giving out interviews with the two of them, only based on the divorce! It's not important for Denmark to see them talk about their divorce in that way!

DKgirls said:
It's not important for Denmark to see them talk about their divorce in that way!
I am glad th hear that

how long has Alexandra lived in copenhagen

It's sad to see this. I'm don't trying to gossip but here's photos/articles about Joachim partying. For their children's sakes, I hope the divorce isn't nasty.

I hope the separation will be a one-year period for the couple to work on their problems.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,534926,00.html

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=245494

From these articles, Joachim is being protrayed as the one at fault. Joachim looks terrible in this photo. This coverage reminds me of Charles and Di.

Attachments

• Joachim1.jpg
    Joachim1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 497
Prince Henrik is the first member of the royal family to comment publicly on the divorce. Article courtesy of the Scandinavian Royals MB.

Prince Henrik: Sad, but that's life

17-09-04: 17:50

HRH Prince Henrik was the first to publicly address the divorce between Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra.

"It's sad - especially because it's my son, but that's life," said the Prince on Friday afternoon in front of a large crown of reporters as he opened a special exhibition at the Amalienborg Museum called "Greenland in the Royal House".

The exhibition shows among other things the Prince's own collection of Greenland art and also Crown Princess Mary's Greenland national costume which she was given during the Royal Family's visit to Greenland this summer.

Also HRH Queen Margrethe appeared in public on Friday at Royal Copenhagen's new offices in Glostrup.

But, contrary to her husband, she did not want to comment on the separation between Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/news/article.php?id=1326401

I could see them talk about it, in an official biography, or something like that, years from now. At the moment I suppose neither of them wishes to dwell too much on it, and want to focus on something else. I know I do when there's something bad going on in my life.

Joachim deleted from Farmerdating.dk

17-09-04: 17:19

"I smoke, love speed and love fireworks from Hong Kong."

Since the public statement of the royal divorce between Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra, jokers all over the country have made profiles for Prince Joachim on the dating site farmerdating.dk. Ivan Baadsgaard from the Farming It-house in Varde who is responsible for the free dating service has so far deleted ten profiles for the new bachelor at the Royal House:

"We need to keep things sober and we cannot have our name put in connection with this smear campaign of the Royal House," says Ivan Baadsgaard.

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/news/article.php?id=1326245

Still it's quite depressing to see more ugly news coming out after the anouncement of their divorce. It's indeed PJ's luck to have a wife like Princess Alexandra!

Well partying with other women.
Beeing totally drunk.
And a lot of debts about 2.7 Mio? thats what the German reports summarizies.

Well thats enough to be fed up for a spouse. I think.

mixer2002de said:
Well partying with other women.
Beeing totally drunk.
And a lot of debts about 2.7 Mio? thats what the German reports summarizies.

Well thats enough to be fed up for a spouse. I think.
I don't know how credible the German reports are. They've reported a lot of untrue things in the past and tend to lean towards sensationalization.

I was very sad to learn the news!

[font=verdana, arial]I had seen a couple of times mentioned there was something wrong with their marriage, but I thought, it was just bad rumours. So sorry to lern, it was true and they will divorce.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial]Somebody told, it was disgracefull, Alexandra can not leave Denmark with her sons without the permission of the Queen. Well, the sons of the couple are princes of Denmark, and in that position "belong" to the country. Earlier in the world they would have been separated from their mother all and absolutely. Just think of princess Maria of Sweden/Great Duchess of Russia, mother of prince Lennart. The mother and son were separated, when Wilhelm and Maria divorced, and Maria could see her son but very, very seldom.
Now Alexandra can anyway keep contacht to her children and not only keep contact, but actually take care of them. And monetary problems she won't have either, I think.
[/font]

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
I don't know how credible the German reports are. They've reported a lot of untrue things in the past and tend to lean towards sensationalization.

Indeed. I also read a couple of articles in some of the more scandalous Danish papers, and I think most of the news we read we should read with a pinch of salt in these cases.

A relationship between two people is extremely complex, and it's difficult for anyone but the people involved to know all the reasons.

norwegianne said:
A relationship between two people is extremely complex, and it's difficult for anyone but the people involved to know all the reasons.
You're right norwegianne. Only Joachim and Alexandra know for certain what went wrong with their marriage and why it did not work out. Everything else is pure gossip, speculation and hearsay.

Most of what I've read so far, from the generally credible sources to those completely uncredible, seem to imply that Joachim is at fault for various reasons. But it's unfair to assign blame when no one has any clue about the true intimacies and intricacies of Joachim and Alexandra's marriage. To say that it's his drinking, partying, womanizing, etc. that resulted in this sad decision is unfair to him as it tells only one side of things.

The main point now shouldn't be, in my opinion, the why of the reasons behind the relationship ending; it is over and that is that. The focus now should be the well-being and well fare of Nikolai and Felix as their parents begin new lives on their own and how to ensure that these young boys aren't adversely affected or hurt by the divorce.

Those news articles about Joachim were disgusting...Drunk and he was pinching bottoms and being very naughty in general. Shame on him!
Although the media may just be portraying Joachim in a bad light so Alexandra won't look at fault. I'd hate to have this turn into a he said- she said fight. Poor Nikolai and Felix.

How come as soon as a Royal or Celebrity marriage breaks down there are only three scenarios to be considered:

1. He's Gay
2. He's a drunk
3. He beat her up!

Has anyone possibly considered that the five year age difference has just proved to much and they have nothing in common anymore and that seeing his brother in what is quite obviously a true love match has made him want out? I would also wonder if the cultural differences have played a part?

We don't really know the real reason for the break-up of their marriage. But those 9 years wasn't just a waste of their lives for both of them endured happiness and hardships. I know both of them doesn't regret their marriage.

I wish they would still be together after sometime. =)
I think it is everyone's wish whenever a couple thinks of breaking-up.

I know the news of Prince Joachim & Princess Alexandra divorcing is shocking and quite sad, but I highly doubt that Prince Joachim is gay. If he were gay would he really have gotten married so young? No, he probably would have said single as long as possible both people started talking. IMO, they were once very much in love when they married, but like many other couple it didn't work out. Maybe it was his fault, maybe it was hers. Most likely they both did things to end the marriage. We will probably never know exactly what happened. But the tabloids saying that Joachim is gay and a drunk is just a cheap shot at the prince. I think the way the media see the situation is that since Princess Alexandra is so popular and hardworking that the Prince must have been the one who did something wrong. When really the situation is not about either of their official roles, but rather it is about a relationship between two people.

no matter what's the true reason behind it, we'll all miss a picture like this from now on.

Attachments

• COLOUR10015292.jpg
    COLOUR10015292.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,544
theprincess said:
I know the news of Prince Joachim & Princess Alexandra divorcing is shocking and quite sad, but I highly doubt that Prince Joachim is gay. If he were gay would he really have gotten married so young? No, he probably would have said single as long as possible both people started talking. IMO, they were once very much in love when they married, but like many other couple it didn't work out. Maybe it was his fault, maybe it was hers. Most likely they both did things to end the marriage. We will probably never know exactly what happened. But the tabloids saying that Joachim is gay and a drunk is just a cheap shot at the prince. I think the way the media see the situation is that since Princess Alexandra is so popular and hardworking that the Prince must have been the one who did something wrong. When really the situation is not about either of their official roles, but rather it is about a relationship between two people.
I really agree with your statement.
I may sometimes side with Princess Alexandra or sometimes with Prince Joachim but it is not just the fault of one person but the two of them.

In any kind of relationship, it never works out if both the two persons involved doesn't give and take. It should never happen that one always gives and doesn't receive something and vice-versa.

I don't also like the way the media is treating this very important matter for the persons directly affected by this are their two children, Nikolai and Felix. Maybe they don't have yet the full knowledge and understanding of what is really going on but I know that they are deeply hurt by this hapenning. That's why I am glad that Queen Margrethe II said that the safety of both her grandchildren should be ensured.

We may not have been expecting that the misunderstandings of the princely couple would reach to the point of having a divorce but we should then respect their decision if that is for the benefit of all the persons involved.

I wish them luck in all their undertakings.

Christie said:
no matter what's the true reason behind it, we'll all miss a picture like this from now on.
I hope we still can find the picture like that in future, hoping they will have sometime together at least for the sake of their children (i.e. in their children's birthday event).

Quote from The Copenhagan Post http://www.cphpost.dk/get/81826.html :
<<<<<<"Our sympathies should be with both of them. But there's no doubt that Alexandra will continue to be a figure of central importance in this country," said Tamm.

It is Princess Alexandra's intention to remain in Denmark with her two young sons for the foreseeable future. Her plans for the long term are unclear - but Ditlev Tamm hopes for the sake of the monarchy that she decides to stay.

"It would be very unfortunate for the Royal Family and the line of succession if she settled abroad," said Tamm.

Claus Bjørn agrees that Alexandra still has something to offer the Danish public.>>>>>>

Back
Top Bottom