Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought the prince would have more rights to the kids or is that only with a crowned prince... was it jealousy or did they fall out of love?

Just saw this picture, from Prince Fredrick's wedding (no doubt they were having problems then) but looking at this picture, one can't for a second think (no matter how good of a face reader they are) think that this couple is having problems. It's just shocking....

Last edited by a moderator:
As I thought of how I felt about this whole thing, one song came to mind that seemed to fit: the sad song Hallelujah from the movie Shrek. I don't agree with all of the song but I thought some of the following lines would be appropriate:

Maybe I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you'd let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
And all I ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
And it's not a cry you can hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

If I have misunderstood this song, forgive me. But it's what's running through my head right now as I think of Joachim and Alex.

pdas1201 said:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-716489.jpg?size=67&uid=%7Bd6ec90eb-d6a0-4a74-b565-f5ae02dda26a%7D
Just saw this picture, from Prince Fredrick's wedding (no doubt they were having problems then) but looking at this picture, one can't for a second think (no matter how good of a face reader they are) think that this couple is having problems. It's just shocking....
Perhaps they are at a point of their life that they realize that they are just good friends. No one truly knows what goes on behind closed doors.

ennyllorac said:
I truly wish the media would respect their privacy and stop speculating or digging up the reasons. It is their business and only their business.
Let's remember, the media, especially the tabloids, have been right frequently. It's just that they report things we are scandalized by and don't believe and don't want to believe. On Charles and Diana they were right about things over 90% of the time.

And isn't this what message boards are for? To speculate and discuss and analyze and be a community around a common interest, in this case royals? I'm very curious to know what the reasons are for the divorce decision. It's a very serious decision and it affects the country of Denmark and its view of its royal family and also the duties that the RF carries out. The desire to know and understand J & A' s reasons are reasonable, in my opinion.

I'm just glad that Henrik and HM Margrete did not divorce when they had problems at various times or a couple of years ago when Henrik flounced off to France in a funk.

Also does anyone know, I doubt anyone would, but if the J & A had some marital counseling? I am from California and counseling is considered here a healthy thing to do in times of crisis or despair.

Paulina said:
Let's remember, the media, especially the tabloids, have been right frequently. It's just that they report things we are scandalized by and don't believe and don't want to believe. On Charles and Diana they were right about things over 90% of the time.

And isn't this what message boards are for? To speculate and discuss and analyze and be a community around a common interest, in this case royals? I'm very curious to know what the reasons are for the divorce decision. It's a very serious decision and it affects the country of Denmark and its view of its royal family and also the duties that the RF carries out. The desire to know and understand J & A' s reasons are reasonable, in my opinion.
Paulina,

I respect your opinion and I see your point. However, I do believe everyone has a right to privacy and the relationship between a husband and wife I believe is private. Yes, it does affect the country of Denmark but privacy should be respected.

Just gleaned some tidbits from stories in Hong Kong Yahoo! Don't know how factual they are but here they are:
  • Most people believe they are divorcing because their personalities and backgrounds are too dissimilar, that Alex can't stand being neglected by Joachim, and thus wants a divorce.
  • Danes opposed to the monarchy say they will oppose a separate stipend for Alex. Instead, they think Joachim ought to pay alimony.
  • Back in 2003, when Alex went to HK by herself, there were rumors of a troubled marriage. Joachim visited HK with her in January but then went to China by himself.
  • Danes are supposedly saying on the internet that they think Alex is a mature woman who couldn't stand Joachim's immaturity and decided to go her separate way.
  • According to Danish tabloids, the marriage had been in trouble for at least half a year. Also, they had problems in 1998 because Joachim was upset at Alex for not having a child yet.

Last edited:
Mette2 said:
I heard on the news that because Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra will be sharing custody of their children she can actually move to another country with them but Joachim has to give his consent. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

To the news itself I think it's very sad and completely unexpected.
I don't think so. There's something about succession rules that will prevent Alexandra from taking the boys from Denmark, with or without Joachim's consent. Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix are third and fourth in line for the throne since their uncle doesn't have his own children yet. I don't think they can leave the country. Plus, didn't Mary have to sign a contract saying that when she has children, she can't take them with her in the event of a divorce? I don't remember if Alexandra and Joachim have the same clause.

Anyway, in my opinion, I think Joachim's having mid-life crisis. Maybe he married too young and hadn't had time to "sow his wild oats" as they say. I have noticed in the past year that Joachim seems to be more interested in the "wilder" parties around and Alexandra's been more visible in official duties.

I think that if this divorce even goes through, he'll run around wild for awhile, realize what he lost, then regret his decision. I have a gut feeling that he was the one who initialized the divorce proceedings.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new here. I just found out about Joachim and Alexandra. I don't get it. Everyone here was saying that they both are very happy couple.

I just found out...I was hoping the rumours weren't true. I can't imagine what Alexandra and Joachim are going through, especially in trying to explain this to their little boys.
I did notice that Joachim looked rather uncomfortable in recent pictures standing next to Alexandra. He looked awkward but Alexandra looked beautiful and happy as usual...

Paulina said:

Although Alexsandra and Joachim are public figures in Demark, there is a limit to how much the public has the "right" to know. Whether you live in a republic or monarchy, we have a right to know how much of our tax dollars our public figures get, and how they spend it. However, we don't have the right to know the most private happenings in their lives.

Why Alexsandra and Joachim have chosen to divorce is their business. We should get behind them and show them our support. Yes it's shocking, yes it's sad but for the sake of the Royal Family and for Alexsandra and Joachim's sons lets leave the messy business to them.

It is really sad. They seemed to be a perfect couple ...:(((

According to this following article, the couple will be seperated for one year followed by a divorce:

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3504826

Danish Royal's Marriage to British Commoner Breaks Up

Prince Joachim, second in line to the Danish throne, is to divorce his British wife, a spokesman for the royal family said today.

In a statement read by Ove Ullerup, the Royal family’s Lord Chamberlain, Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik “deeply regretted” the couple’s decision, but added they would give their full support to their son and daughter-in-law.

Ullerup said Joachim and Princess Alexandra would continue their official duties during the divorce.

The princess will keep her royal title during the one year separation period. If the divorce is completed, then it will be the queen’s decision whether to let Alexandra keep her royal title.

The announcement marks the first time since 1846 that the royal family, Europe’s oldest ruling monarchy, has had a member divorce.

The monarchy was founded by the Viking Gorm the Old, who died in 958.

Joachim, 35, married Hong Kong-born British commoner, 40-year-old Alexandra Manley, in November 1995 at the Frederiksborg Castle in Hilleroed.

The couple have two sons, Prince Nikolai, five, and Prince Felix, two.

In the past months, there have been rumours in the Danish media that the couple were living separate lives.

Joachim is the younger brother to the heir to Denmark’s throne, Crown Prince Frederik, who in May married Australian-born Crown Princess Mary.

After their wedding, the enormously popular Princess Alexandra, captured Danes’ hearts and admiration by giving a speech in fluent Danish.

Alexandra spends considerable time in the public eye, serving as the patron of 21 groups, including the Danish Association for the Blind, a marine life museum, a girls’ choir and a shelter for homeless and abused women with children. She is also the president of Unicef Denmark.

While Alexandra carried out official duties, Joachim was dubbed “the party prince” because he spent more time attending football matches, racing vintage cars and rock concerts.

The couple met in January 1994 in Hong Kong, where the prince was working for a Danish shipping company.

After marrying into Europe’s oldest ruling monarchy, Alexandra gave up her professional life as a mutual fund manager and dropped her British citizenship for a Danish passport.

Known as an elegant dresser, Alexandra speaks German and French. She studied economics in Hong Kong, London and Vienna.

Shocked and sadden

I read it on Hellomagazine.com just a few minutes ago and was so shocked and sadden by the news. They seemed like the perfect couple and family. Sigh... guess the saying is true "nothing is perfect"... the fairy tale wedding/ life doesn't exist in reality afterall huh? Just shocked and so sadden by this...I totally thought all this talk prior to the official announcement were rumours...disregarded them all...but sadly it's true. I've come to realize that the media's got some really good investigative skills...it appears that 99% of the time the rumours they write about are true. Feel so bad for Nikolai and Felix...poor kids. =( I'm sure though that their parents are making the transition as easy as possible for them.

Why?

WHY? Alexandra & Joachim

The pre-nup says:
1. What they brought into the marriage they will take with them out of it. Anything gained by one of them in the marriage, by heritage, or by work, to just one of them, will be that person's property even after the marriage is over.

2. Joachim will support Alexandra, and give her enough money so that she can live in a place that fits the manner in which she has become accustomed, either in Denmark, or outside of Denmark if she chooses.

He also will give her a one-time sum of money which is to be determined by how long their marriage lasted, and each of their individual economic status' and custom of living at the end of it. If no agreement can be made on the first two paragraphs of this point in the pre-nup, the king [or queen] will be assemble a court to judge according to the King's law, § 25.

Signatures, etc...

No point is being made about their children, but several of my sources say that they, being of royal blood, also fall under the ultimate rule of the monarch, and being in direct line to the throne may not move out of the country without the Queen's explicit permission.

OMGGGGGGGGGGG I can't believe it!!!! >___< oh how my heart goes out to Alexandra...its usually the females which get all the media attention during divorce proceedings...they seemed to have such a strong relationship that would last all tides...awwwww....its so sad when fairy tale marriages end...

Oh I can't believe this. I feel so sorry for Alexandra and the boys. My sympathy is with all of them at this very sad time. =( I only hope that Alexandra and Joachim both put their children first despite the differences they may have between each other.

wouldn't it be beautiful if they suddenly fell in love again...i know i know...i'm being dillusional....but its a nice thought nonetheless

RoXyGiRl said:
So prince Joachim is divorcing princess alexandra!!!!!
they say its for "personal reasons"...but there has been news that he CHEATED...yea cheated on her. I am very interested in the royal families of the world and ive often read that before his marriage he was a party animal and prefered football games and partying rather than royal duties.
Over the last couple of months they have been forced to put on a smiling face in public especially at the wedding of frederick and mary. The Queen decided it would be unfair to the newlyweds if they broke the news of the divorce before now...but apparently they have been living separate lives for quiet some time now...and well...Joachim has been having the time of his life
Joachim is a hard working person as well. He is running his own business (which is a full time job for most people) as well as undertaking engagements as a royal. He doesn't get as much press because, well, he just doesn't. But he has certainly done his share.

Joachim having the time of his life? Really... I have a hard time imagining that now. The pic Ekstra Bladet used where Joachim was dubbed a "party prince" apparently was taken during a party in which Alex also attended. It wasn't only him at that party. And so what if he likes to race - is that such a bad thing? He's always done it and it is his hobby, just as Margrethe likes painting.

And the rumour that Joachim cheated on her.... geez, I hate it when its put forward as a "fact" when we really don't know. We don't know if 3rd parties are involved, and even if there is, we don't know which one cheated. But of course it has to be Joachim who's the bad person *rolleyes*

hillary_nugent said:
wouldn't it be beautiful if they suddenly fell in love again...i know i know...i'm being dillusional....but its a nice thought nonetheless
Yeah that's what I'm hoping for! I hope both parties decide during the 6 month separation period that they can work through their differences and reconcile! Joachim will have a wretched time alone in Shackenborg. Alex will be away from her Prince whom she continues to look at so adoringly (she really does! I'm remembering the recent Maersk container ship related engagement).

I'm really sad hearing this news. I heard about the rumours but the German papers always suggest bad news. It is a pity for their young kids and I wonder what will happen if Joachim gets a new wife. Then there will be 2 princesses and I think the role of Alexandra will be of less importance. Why must this idylle end? It isn't fair.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
NOO!!! Say it isn't so! What's going to happen to my favorite princess?!
Take a breath......nothing is going to happen. She is such a lovely lady that everything will work for the best for her. Seems to me that she got the support of everyone and a lady like her will always have our admiration and respect.

J will be the firest to go out on royal duty

september 21
H.K.H. Prins Joachim indvier "Arnå-vådengprojektet" i Sønderjyllands Amt, kl. 10.00

September 24
H.K.H. Prins Joachim besøger og åbner Nationalmuseets særudstilling "Herregården". 500 års drøm og virkelighed", kl. 14.00.

September 25
H.K.H. Prinsesse Alexandra aflægger besøg ved åbningen af maleren Vilmantas Marcinkevicius udstilling i Galleri NB, Roskilde Gasværk, kl. 12.00.

september 27
H.K.H. Prins Joachim deltager som æresgæst ved åbningen af det danske kulturfremstød i Toronto, Canada til den 1. oktober.

I think there will be a lot of press at these evensts
I hope that the press will treat them both good

I have just read the news and I can't believe it. Why on Earth did this happen?
Though we don't know the real and deep reasons behind this matter but why o why?
I though admit we are all not perfect and we committ mistakes so with the two of them.

I just hope that they could still work this out. I wish them the best in whatever endeavors they would have.

I would just like to ask if after this plan on their divorce, would the two still attend royal tasks or jobs together or go on completely separated?

Swedish newspapers have published today some scandalous articles about the divorce, even interviewing a girl claiming to be one of Joachim's girlfiriends.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=185485

I don't especially like this kind of dirtdigging, just thought you should know.

I still hope that can work this out. It just seems that they had some very good times and seem to be such nice people. Obviously, I have no idea of what goes on behind closed doors. But, it just seems that they both were people of high spirits and are both lovely people. Hopefully, they can at least remain good friends as Sarah Ferguson and the Duke of York did.

Back
Top Bottom