Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra

AMALIENBORG PALACE, September 16, 2004.

Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Prince Consort have instructed the Lord Chamberlain to announce that Their Royal Highnesses Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have decided to apply for a separation order and will subsequently seek a divorce.

It is with the deepest regret that the Queen and the Prince Consort have accepted this decision. At the same time Her Majesty and the Prince Consort wish to extend their full support to Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra during the difficult times ahead of them. Her Majesty and the Prince Consort wish to do their utmost to contribute to ensuring a dignified solution for their son and daughter in law and a harmonious upbringing for the children, Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix.

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra are in agreement on the terms of the separation order. Prince Joachim will continue to reside at Schackenborg Castle. Princess Alexandra will for the time being reside at Amalienborg Palace together with their sons Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix. During the separation period Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra retains her present title and will be addressed as Her Highness Princess Alexandra after the divorce.

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra state in this connection:

"After long and difficult considerations we have mutually decided to apply for a separation order and will subsequently seek a divorce. We are in agreement on the conditions and will undertake joint custody of our children.

We wish as far as possible to maintain our official functions and continue to work with the many organisations with which we are related.

Throughout the years we have experienced much kindness and friendliness and we hope that the difficult decision we have made will be met with understanding".

Ove Ullerup
Lord Chamberlain

http://kongehuset.dk/english/current_activities/

Thanks for posting the official version, bigheadshirmp. So sad to see them divorce as they appeared to have been so happy...

I guess we never really do know what goes on behind closed doors...

www.polfoto.dk

Photo from the press conference...
www.gettyimages.com
Caption:
COPENHAGEN, DENMARK: Press photographers focus on Danish Lord Chamberlain Ove Ullerup (R) during a presser to announce the divorce of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra 16 September 2004, at the Royal Palace of Amailenborg in Copenhagen. The royal couple married in 1995 and have two sons, Nikolai and Felix, aged five and two. AFP PHOTO/ Keld Navntoft/SCANPIX (Photo credit should read KELD NAVNTOFT/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• Alex.jpg
    Alex.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 581
  • Press_photo.jpg
    Press_photo.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 552
Last edited by a moderator:
It is really sad. They seemed to be a perfect couple and I thought they would last for ever

This is terrible news, very unexpected I wouldn't have dreamt of this. They looked happy. Oh well I wish them both the best in the future.

They did look quite uncomfortable at the recent wedding they attended...still, so sad.

I dont pay much attention to the Danish royal family but the news about the divorce is so sad. I cant imagine what Joachim and Alexandra must be going through. It must be so hard to explain something like this to a five and two year old.

Wow, I'm shocked but not surprised. It worried me to see Alex going off doing her duties by herself. I wish they would have stayed together. Maybe Alex will now be the Danish "Queen of Hearts". I wonder how Frederik and Mary are taking this? Assuming they go through with the divorce, I wonder if Alex will go back to working in investment banking? Sigh, I will be praying for them.

Wow...I wonder why they are divorcing? I couldn't believe it when I was reading the news on Yahoo. It's really a shame.

bramair said:
I wonder if Alex will go back to working in investment banking?

Probably not. I think it would be rather hard to go back to being a relatively anonymous person when your children are in the line to a throne some place. She could go back to Hong Kong where I suppose it's easier to be one of the crowd, but as her children will have to stay in Denmark, at least for a while, and her parents also live there, and she's got a Danish citizenship, I assume she will be staying. Which is what was announced by the court as well.

Sad news. But I remember during the discussions about how Frederick and Mary met, there was some flirting going on in that pub which involved both him and Joachim with Mary and her friends, despite Joachim being a husband and father. If that behaviour was typical rather than an aberration, I can see why she might have been getting a bit fed up. She's already got two children to look after; it sounds as though her husband was turning into a third.

NOO!!! Say it isn't so! What's going to happen to my favorite princess?!

It's sad when people divorce and it's especially hard on the children. However, I think I may be the only one who is not shocked by the news of their divorce. I could see it coming a mile away, but in the end it may be a good thing regarding their happiness (trust me I understand divorce very well as well as the implications they have on one's emotion's in the end.)

Sorry if my comments will upset some people, but remember this is my simple opinion so please don't yell at me if it upsets you.

Take care
:)

What will happen to the boys? Will they stay with Joachim in Denmark???

Accourding to the news that i have read the sons has to stay in denmark beacuse they are in line to the throne. The queen will deside over them until crown prince Fredrik & Mary get a child. So i guess alex will stay in denmark where her children will be for the nearest future.

Out of curiosity, was Alexandra named princess in her own right and not in connection to her marriage to Joachim?

Oh my god! I can't believe what planet I've been living on, thinking that the rumours were just rumours - nothing more! I mean they must've decided to put on a mask for the public, since it wasn't long ago (Saturday?) that we saw them smiling at a wedding! I honestly thought that it was just ill meaning rumours, and in the fantasy planet I must be living on - I thought they had a great marriage....

This is a total chock! And so sad, especially for the boys... I sincerely hope that they will be able to continue on as some sort of friends, and handle the situation in the excellent way that The Duke and Duchess of York have handled things.

GrandDuchess said:
Oh my god! I can't believe what planet I've been living on, thinking that the rumours were just rumours - nothing more! I mean they must've decided to put on a mask for the public, since it wasn't long ago (Saturday?) that we saw them smiling at a wedding! I honestly thought that it was just ill meaning rumours, and in the fantasy planet I must be living on - I thought they had a great marriage....

This is a total chock! And so sad, especially for the boys... I sincerely hope that they will be able to continue on as some sort of friends, and handle the situation in the excellent way that The Duke and Duchess of York have handled things.
Tell me about it! I open up my browser and went to the Hello! website and the headline hit me like a ton of bricks! I was gaping in shock for a few seconds there. I really thought that if any of the younger royal couples would make it to a happily-ever-after it'd be Joachim and Alex. To think that she gave up her citizenship, her religion, her whole life to be with Joachim. Plus she's a hard-working princess to boot. She's represented Denmark extremely well. I hope she retains her role as a representative of Denmark, even as the role of Prince Felix and Nikolai's mother.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
Out of curiosity, was Alexandra named princess in her own right and not in connection to her marriage to Joachim?
I believe she was, MLR. If she remarries, she'll lose her title. In the meantime, she'll remain HRH Pss. Alexandra; however, after the divorce she'll be titled Her Highness Alexandra (I recieved this information from Marlene on Scan. Royals MB.) But, like I said before, if she remarries she'll be Alexandra Manley (enter new last name here.)

Her title after the divorce will be Her Highness Princess Alexandra.

Well, Prince Albert of Monaco is single...... she could remarry AND be a princess!

Just joking! However, in all seriousness, I do not mean to make light of this situation. The reality is however that none of us knows what was going on in this relationship. It may be that Alexandra does find true happiness with someone else. She certainly deserves that and my guess is that we would all wish that for her.

And- she has certainly proven herself to be a woman of excellent character, loyalty and judgement. We can all rest assured she will not let anything harm her children through this whole ordeal.

DIVORCE Alexandra and Joachim

So prince Joachim is divorcing princess alexandra!!!!!
they say its for "personal reasons"...but there has been news that he CHEATED...yea cheated on her. I am very interested in the royal families of the world and ive often read that before his marriage he was a party animal and prefered football games and partying rather than royal duties.
Over the last couple of months they have been forced to put on a smiling face in public especially at the wedding of frederick and mary. The Queen decided it would be unfair to the newlyweds if they broke the news of the divorce before now...but apparently they have been living separate lives for quiet some time now...and well...Joachim has been having the time of his life

No.....

From all accounts it appears to be a mutual decision.

See the couple's official statement:

"After long and difficult considerations we have mutually decided to apply for a separation order and will subsequently seek a divorce. We are in agreement on the conditions and will undertake joint custody of our children.

We wish as far as possible to maintain our official functions and continue to work with the many organisations with which we are related.

Throughout the years we have experienced much kindness and friendliness and we hope that the difficult decision we have made will be met with understanding".

yea it was a joint decision but the reason is because while Alexandra is often representing her country...joachim prefers to party...and i saw on T.V. that there is news that he cheated

RoXyGiRl said:
yea it was a joint decision but the reason is because while Alexandra is often representing her country...joachim prefers to party...and i saw on T.V. that there is news that he cheated
I truly wish the media would respect their privacy and stop speculating or digging up the reasons. It is their business and only their business.

rop81 said:
What will happen to the boys? Will they stay with Joachim in Denmark???

Accourding to the news that i have read the sons has to stay in denmark beacuse they are in line to the throne. The queen will deside over them until crown prince Fredrik & Mary get a child. So i guess alex will stay in denmark where her children will be for the nearest future.
I heard on the news that because Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra will be sharing custody of their children she can actually move to another country with them but Joachim has to give his consent. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

To the news itself I think it's very sad and completely unexpected.

ennyllorac said:
I think we need to be very careful about what we post. We shouldn't speculate what the problems are.
Exactly! I'm tired already of hearing some pretty nasty rumors regarding the couple...enough is enough. Unless you have first hand knowledge regarding their relationship you should be chary (look it up) about what you say.

Be supportive and don't blame/point fingers as to who did what to whom.

:)

Elspeth said:
Sad news. But I remember during the discussions about how Frederick and Mary met, there was some flirting going on in that pub which involved both him and Joachim with Mary and her friends, despite Joachim being a husband and father. If that behaviour was typical rather than an aberration, I can see why she might have been getting a bit fed up. She's already got two children to look after; it sounds as though her husband was turning into a third.
While this is very upsetting for the Danish people, and indeed for royal watchers around the world, we must avoid temptation in assigning blame for the breakdown of the royal couple's marriage. Divorce, well at least usually, is something both husband and wife decide is in both their interests and the interests of their children.

I think the best thing to do is to keep in our thoughts and prayers, if you're so inclined, Princess Alexandra, Prince Joachim, Her Majesty the Queen, and his Royal Highness Prince Henrik and of course their children.

galuhcandrakirana said:
Thanks for the translation........still hard for me to believe it :(
You're welcome. Yeah, I can't believe it either.:(

There's a more accurate translation on this thread somewhere in case mine was confusing.:)

Their divorce

When I read the title on a website,I thought it was someone guessing that they'll divorce because I knew about the rumors in their marriage. But as soon as I read it was ture felt like someone had hit me in the chest and I was just shocked. It seemed unbelieveable. A part of me still kind of doesn't believe it.:confused: They were one of the royals that I thought would last.Over the last few months they have seemed apart, but sometimes I would see them link arms or something and Alexandra ran over to Joachim on their engagment and held on to his arm and then he patted her hand, but they soon let go of each other, so maybe that was some sort of a sign. Anyway this is really sad, they are one of may fav. couples and is the couple that drew me to the dannish royal family.It's going to be weird now. I also kind of feel sorry for joachim's future wife ( if he remarries) because she is always going to be compered to Alex. I hope Alex as a HH is still able to going to balls and things like that.

I can't believe this is happening? I just logged on LTR and read the news, I am still in deep shock. How could this happen to a couple we all thought was the best suited for each other? We voted them as living together for the rest of their life.
I just can't say how shocked I am. But I understand that their decision was mutual and amicable. God give them the strength to get through this tough time.

Back
Top Bottom