Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMGosh, I just read that on HelloMagazine.com!!! This is a total shock!!

wow what a shock :( :( :( i'm really sad by this news, i really had no idea that they had problems...

But i hope they can put their problems aside and make sure that their kids don't suffer from the divorce

Yes it is really a big shock!I'm not really interested in Danish Royals but i feel sad for the couple and especially for their children.they shouldn't have that,it shouldn't happen to them.They are small and lovely,they can enjoy happy childhood. I'm really sad

How sad. Do you think there will be more pressure on Mary now to get pregnant?

Posters from Denmark, how are people in Denmark reacting? I understand Princess Alexandra is very well liked.

My Danish friend, who I was with when I heard the news, didn't believe it. He thought his friend, from whom he got the news via phone, was joking. He was still in denial about the whole thing, but was going home to check a credible news-source as quick as possible.

I don't know what planet I have been living on because I hadn't read anything about the rumors!

I was surprised that they were going divorce.. i think they were wonderful marriage. I can't understand why it happened.. i can't believe it...

Karla

Alexandria said:
Not to stir up trouble, but I wonder if the couple have wanted to divorce for some time but the Queen asked them to wait until after Frederik and Mary had been married for a few months and settled into their new life for a bit.
I thought the same thing when I heard the news. It's just a little too coincidental that they're separating right after Frederick's marriage. It's very sad, especially for their sons. I hope they can manage to stay friends, like Prince Andrew and Fergie, if only for the sake of their children.

I can´t believe this. It is unbelievable in a way. They looked so happy though.

Last edited:
I think that it is so sad that they are going to have a divorce.
Sad for ther sons but most sad for them self.
I hope and pray that they still can be frindes for them self and for ther children.
I am just happy to know that Alexandra is still loved by the Royal family and that she are abel to say her in Denmark with her parents.
As my teatcher said : "They are only human like us." :( :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
How very, very sad. I just hope it's a "civil" divorce, and no horrible fighting and vindictiveness between the parents. The boys are so adorable and hopefully, they will be the top priority for all involved. A very sad thing.

Yes, let´s hope that the parents do not make it harder on the boys.

Joachim and Alexandra of Denmark to Divorce

i read my msn e-mail this morning but i really shock for both got separate and getting divorces like Prince Charles and Princess Diana before in 1992 and divorces in 1996. And also Duke and Duchess of York who also separate same years with Prince and Princess of Wales before and Duke and Duchess of York got divorces in same years with Prince and Princess of Wales.

Joachim and Alexandra been married for 9 years but both would plans wanted getting separate and divorces if Alexandra would loses title like Princess Diana before who lose title but Princess Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales but Princess Alexandra will known as Alexandra,Princess of Denmark wait and see from HM Queen of Denmark what and say.

Princess Alexandra was former mutual fund manager who met Joachim in 1994 both got married in Nov.1995 the couple have two sons Prince Nikolai at 5 year old and Prince Felix at 2 year old.

Sara Boyce

I can't believe this either. They seemed to be doing so well. It's just proves that you never really know what is going on behind closed doors. Things may look good on the surface, but that certainly may not be the case.

It's none of my business, but I certainly do wonder what happened?

It seems, however, that Joachim needs to really grow up; while tabloids can't be trusted to report truth, the one consitent report is that he's keeping busy with fast cars and exciting adventures. Alexandra has managed to find a good balance between personal "fun" and public responsibility. When was the last time he showed he was more than a spoiled playboy prince?

Eliza

I have read that in the web of the spanish magazine "HOLA" (www.hola.com). All I can say is that it's a very shocking new, they seemed happy...

Isabel said:
Are you serious? I can't believe it.
yes!

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have separate for one years they have divorces but Princess Alexandra will still on her duty to do if HM Queen Marthages think she would loses titles or she will stay title wait and see!

when Princess Diana acceptance loses title as HRH when she got divorces from Prince Charles but Diana would known as Diana,Princess of Wales and also Duchess of York will known as Sarah,Duchess of York because both have same divorce years in 1996.

Sara Boyce

owww what a shocking news!!! I thought this was one of the happiest couples.....

Unfortunately, tabloids ARE true sometimes......

I wish them the best...

DKgirls said:
Nobody can tell what the reasons were! It could be drinking problems or it could be thousands of other things!

I think we need to be very careful about what we post. We shouldn't speculate what the problems are.

This is really sad news. I hope the two boys will be sheltered from the press throughout this period.

sara1981 said:
yes!

Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra have separate for one years they have divorces but Princess Alexandra will still on her duty to do if HM Queen Marthages think she would loses titles or she will stay title wait and see!

when Princess Diana acceptance loses title as HRH when she got divorces from Prince Charles but Diana would known as Diana,Princess of Wales and also Duchess of York will known as Sarah,Duchess of York because both have same divorce years in 1996.

Sara Boyce
Sara my queens name ain´t Marthages but Margrethe and princess Alexandra are not goint to loose her princess titel. The only thing she won´t be callede anymor is HRH but HH.

I have no idea what happened. Whatever it may be, it seems that everyone is being very calm about the entire situation. I would like to know what happened, and can only guess that as with most relationships it is a combination of things. The good thing is that at this point, Alex and Joachim seem to be handling this as cordially as possible. Considering the way that they always seem when in public together and even when they were at the wedding the other day, I certainly couldn't tell that any divorce annoucement was coming.

I am glad that Alex will stay in Denmark and that they have already seemed to have decided how they will share custody of the children. It's also nice that Alex will have stiped and be an HH instead of an HRH. It seems that the decision was mutual and well thought about on all sides. If they can keep things as civil as they have, then all will continue to go well. But, it is still surprising. I just never would have thought that Joachim and Alex would get a divorce or that they were even having any problems so serious that it would come to this. I guess you just neve know, do you?

Well, if they were a perfect couple, then they would not need to get a divorce. Divorce is usually a last option, so clearly they have been having problems for a while. The perfection that you speak of was clearly superficial, the only question is for how long have they been pretending and putting on good faces for the public?

Article in full....

What will happen to the boys? Will they stay with Joachim in Denmark???

16 SEPTEMBER 2004

The Danish royal house confirmed on Thursday that Prince Joachim and his Hong Kong-born wife Princess Alexandra are to divorce after nine years of marriage.

Prince Joachim is the younger brother of Crown Prince Frederik, who wed his Australian girlfriend Mary Donaldson in May this year.

Danish public radio announced the news earlier this week following rumours that the pair had been living separate lives. While the palace initially declined to confirm the reports, the news was made official at a press conference in the Yellow Palace at Amalienborg on Thursday.

The couple, who married in November 1995, have two children – five-year-old Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix, who's two.

According to a statement read by royal family chamberlain Ove Ullerup, Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik "deeply regretted" the couple's decision.

Forty-year-old Alexandra, a former mutual fund manager, met her husband in 1994 in Hong Kong, where the second-in-line to the throne was employed by a Danish shipping company. Following their nuptials the following year, the new princess quickly won the hearts of the Danes with her stylish dress sense and fluent grasp of the Danish language.

Since then the princess, who gave up her British citizenship in favour of that of her new homeland, has earned a reputation as a hard-working royal. She spends much of her time fulfilling royal duties, serving as the patron of nearly two dozen charitable organisations. She is also the president of Unicef Denmark.

Her 35-year-old husband's enthusiasm for soccer, rock concerts and racing vintage cars has, on the other hand, led him to being dubbed a "party prince" in some quarters.

Denmark's monarchy is the oldest in Europe – it was founded in 958 by the Viking king Gorm the Old – and Joachim and Alexandra's divorce will be the first such split in modern times.

Another article

Danish Prince Joachim, his wife intend to divorcewww.chinaview.cn 2004-09-16 23:56:31

STOCKHOLM, Sept. 16 (Xinhuanet) -- [font=&#23435]The Danish Royal Court announced at a press conference in Copenhagen on Thursday that Prince Joachim and his Hong Kong-born wife, Princess Alexandra, have decided to separate, according to reports from Denmark. [/font][font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]The 35-year-old Prince Joachim and 40-year-old Princess Alexandra announced through the court that they are separating with the intention to divorce after a marriage of nearly nine years. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]It would be the first divorce in the Danish royal family in 165 years and comes just four months after Prince Frederik, Joachim's elder brother and the heir to the throne, married an Australian commoner in a glittering Copenhagen Cathedral ceremony. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]"After many difficult considerations, we have jointly decided to separate with the intention of seeking a divorce," Joachim and Alexandra said in a palace statement. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]"We are in agreement over the terms of the separation, and we intend to share in the upbringing of our children." [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]Alexandra will live together with their two sons, 5-year-old Prince Nikolai and two-year-old Prince Felix. She will retain the title "Her Highness" following separation proceedings. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]In a statement, Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen expressed his government's "great regret" at the news. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]"It is a difficult and deeply personal decision that the prince and princess have had to make together. It is a big decision that we must all respect and understand," he said. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]Danish media have of late speculated that the popular and photogenic couple were headed for a divorce after growing apart, amid reports of the prince's increasing fondness for parties and fast cars. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]The couple met at a private dinner in 1994 in Hong Kong, where Prince Joachim was working for the Danish shipping company Maersk. Alexandra is the daughter of Shanghai-born managing director Richard Nigel Manley and Austrian-born Christa Manley. [/font]

[font=&#23435] [/font][font=&#23435]Though she is a Hong Kong native, Alexandra is not expected to leave Denmark. Under Danish law, the two princes cannot leave the Scandinavian country due to succession rules. The newly married Crown Prince Frederik has no children of his own yet.[/font]

Thursday September 16, 2004 11:31 AM

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]

AP Photo FRA114

By JAN M. OLSEN

Associated Press Writer

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - Prince Joachim, Queen Margrethe's second son, will seek a divorce from his Hong Kong-born wife, Princess Alexandra, a spokesman for Denmark's royal family said Thursday.

Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik ``deeply regretted'' the couple's decision, but added they would give their full support to their son and daughter-in-law, according to a statement read by the royal family lord chamberlain, Ove Ullerup.

Ullerup said Joachim and Alexandra would continue their official duties during the divorce. If the divorce is completed, then it's the queen's decision whether to let Alexandra keep her royal title.

``The princess has no plans to leave the country,'' Ullerup said.

The announcement marks the first time since 1846 that a member of Denmark's royal family, Europe's oldest ruling monarchy, has gotten a divorce. The monarchy was founded by the Viking Gorm the Old, who died in 958.

Steffen Heiberg, a historian specializing in royal history, said the last divorce in the Danish royal house was in 1846 when King Frederik VII divorced Princess Caroline Charlotte Mariane of Mecklemburg-Strelitz, Germany.

He said the divorce is a ``private matter'' and will handled like any other divorce in the Scandinavian country of 5.4 million.

``Both of them have a duty to take care of their children and will continue to share parenting responsibilities,'' Niels Eilschou Holm, the palace's legal expert, told reporters at a press conference.

For several months, Danish media have carried reports and rumors that the couple had been leading separate lives.

Joachim, 35, and Alexandra Manley, 40, got married on Nov. 18, 1995, at Frederiksborg Castle in Hilleroed, Denmark. The couple have two sons, Prince Nikolai, 5, and Prince Felix, 2.

After the wedding, the enormously popular princess captured Danes' hearts and admiration by giving a speech in fluent Danish.

Alexandra spends considerable time in the public eye, serving as the patron of 21 groups, including the Danish Association for the Blind, a marine life museum, a girls' choir and a shelter for homeless and abused women with children. She is also the president of UNICEF Denmark.

While Alexandra carried out official duties, Joachim was dubbed ``the party prince'' because he spent more time attending soccer games, racing vintage cars and rock concerts.

The couple met in January 1994 in Hong Kong, where the prince was working for a Danish shipping company.

After marrying into Europe's oldest ruling monarchy, Alexandra gave up her professional life as a mutual fund manager and dropped her British citizenship for a Danish passport.

She is known as an elegant dresser and speaks German and French. She studied economics in Hong Kong, London and Vienna. Joachim is the younger brother to the heir to Denmark's throne, Crown Prince Frederik, who in May married Australian-born Crown Princess Mary.
[/font]

Back
Top Bottom