Divorce for Joachim and Alexandra: September 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, of course you speak Swedish, yennie. Silly me. :p

Actually I referred to you when I was talking to hrhcp. :blush:

what was done was done, the important thing is that they both happily moved on & they care great deal about the kids.
I wonder if Alexandra took her her fancy royal gowns, tiaras, jewellery...?

I think she was allowed to keep everything. The tiara was a gift to her from the Queen, her jewellery was her own as far as I know and I guess she has taken her complete royal wardrobe with her, as she has been in galadresses after her divorce. After all, she still is HE (class 1) the Countess of Frederiksborg, which means she has the highest rank of nobility in Denmark, right after the Royals (do correct me if I'm wrong). Imo that's good, she will always be the mother of Prince Nicolai and Prince Felix, who are in line to the throne.

Weel, then at least they must have had very good advisors. (And I still would like to know why it didn't work out...........).

All speculative posts have been removed from this thread. Since Joachim and Alexandra have decided to keep the reasons for their divorce private, let's not speculate on the reasons if any without substantiation from reliable sources. Please read the Danish Forum Zero Tolerance Policy before posting.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

I was too young when they divorced so I wasn't interested in Royals etc....so can someone say me why did they divorce?? This thread is so big and I don't want read it all :D

As Mandy said above, Joachim and Alexandra have decided to keep their reasons for their divorce to themselves - nobody knows.

I just wondered opinions of why Princess Marie is not nearly as popular as Prince Joachim's first wife, Alexandra. Is it because people believe Prince Joachim and Princess Marie were dating while he was married to Alexandra? Just wondered

You have got to be kidding. When I read the article, I was shocked and appalled. Changing the name of a road to suit Prince Joachim's second wife is strange and frankly calls more attention to the situation. I think people prefer Alexandra because they think of Princess Marie of a homewrecker, even if it is not true. It is a hard reputation to live down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wondered opinions of why Princess Marie is not nearly as popular as Prince Joachim's first wife, Alexandra. Is it because people believe Prince Joachim and Princess Marie were dating while he was married to Alexandra? Just wondered

You have got to be kidding. When I read the article, I was shocked and appalled. Changing the name of a road to suit Prince Joachim's second wife is strange and frankly calls more attention to the situation. I think people prefer Alexandra because they think of Princess Marie of a homewrecker, even if it is not true. It is a hard reputation to live down.

alexandra was the first princess of denmark of this generation - it's therefore normal that people really liked her. besides, marie has only been a princess since not long, i guess she just needs more time for people to like her. i personally find her very sweet in the interviews she has given. she seems to have fitted nicely into the family and found good friends in the royal family's group and has already been chosen twice to be godmother of the children of her friends in denmark. besides, being the second wife mustn't be easy in any case, even more in a royal family! it takes time for people to accept.

I don't know for sure (and maybe one of the Danish members can clarify), but I do believe that it took a bit of time for the Danish public to warm up to Crown Princess Mary. I don't think that she was always as popular as she is now. I recall reading on this board, that people weren't entirely sure of whether or not she would make a good princess. Granted, she had a lot more responsibility, and will ultimately become queen; but still, I do think that people (not everyone, of course) will warm up to her. She's starting to take on more responsibilities, and we are starting to see more of her. This will help, IMO.

The timing of Joachim and Marie's meeting (late 2002, at least fall of the year, I think) and then "not seeing or getting in touch with each other" for another 3 years, until he was divorced, seems a little naive. That is the official version, I believe.

However, it has been stated that Alexandra admitted to seeking a divorce. Then, it wasn't long before Martin was living with her and the boys. So, perhaps both Alexandra and Joachim realized that the marriage had, indeed, floundered.

I don't live in Denmark, so don't know what the average person thinks about it all. In any case, everyone seems to be happy now, Alexandra married first, as well, so who is to know?

I believe Alexandra married Martin first because she was persuaded to by the Danish Royal Family. So, Joachim would not appear as such a "bad guy". I do think Alexandra made lemonade out of lemons by dating a "boy toy" after her separation from Prince Joachim. Who could blame her. Why sit around sulking. I do not believe I the public will warm to Princess Marie for many years, until the young generation grows up and everyone "forgets".

Marie as a homewrecker :ermm: - strange, where did you get that idea from? Joachim and Alexandra's divorce is not something that preys very heavily on most people's minds today, but the opinions I have heard are clearly that Alexandra was the one who wanted out first; she knew Martin well in advance before Marie and Joachim were probably even contemplating each other.

What has given you the idea that Marie is not as popular as Alexandra? As Carlota has already explained Alexandra arrived at a time with no 'contestants' in the media (no other young princess) so a direct comparison between the situation of these two does not present a true picture.

Alexandra was the Queens only daughter-in-law for nearly ten years. She had the Queens first two grandchildren and was the only young princess for the media and the public to focus on. Of course she was popular. Things are different now, Frederik and Mary are the main focus -they are the next King and Queen and have two children of their own, a cute little prince and princess, the media don't really "need" Joachim and his family as much anymore. So Marie gets nowhere near the level of attention and interest that Alexandra received during her time in the Royal Family.

I believe Alexandra married Martin first because she was persuaded to by the Danish Royal Family. So, Joachim would not appear as such a "bad guy". I do think Alexandra made lemonade out of lemons by dating a "boy toy" after her separation from Prince Joachim. Who could blame her. Why sit around sulking. I do not believe I the public will warm to Princess Marie for many years, until the young generation grows up and everyone "forgets".
Forgets what? Marie is not portrayed in Denmark as someone who split apart Alexandra and Joachim. I think that the public have no problem with her, it is just that she is not the main focus in the media like Alexandra was during her years as the only princess.

I don't know for sure (and maybe one of the Danish members can clarify), but I do believe that it took a bit of time for the Danish public to warm up to Crown Princess Mary. I don't think that she was always as popular as she is now. I recall reading on this board, that people weren't entirely sure of whether or not she would make a good princess. Granted, she had a lot more responsibility, and will ultimately become queen; but still, I do think that people (not everyone, of course) will warm up to her. She's starting to take on more responsibilities, and we are starting to see more of her. This will help, IMO.
I may be wrong but I don't think Mary ever had a problem with the Danish public not liking her. Now people on message boards not liking her,most definitely yes :lol:, but the Danish (the majority anyway) always seemed quite positive about her, at least that they way I remember it but it is all a long time ago now.

I agree that the more engagements Marie carries out the more the public will feel they "know" her.

Forgets what? Marie is not portrayed in Denmark as someone who split apart Alexandra and Joachim. I think that the public have no problem with her, it is just that she is not the main focus in the media like Alexandra was during her years as the only princess.
Wasn't there actually a poll (about who is the most popular member of the DRF) showing that Marie is already more popular than her husband and her father-in-law? That's not so bad after such a short time (of course she has the "charming woman" -bonus). Media people seem quite fond of her. And I too don't think that the public at large sees her as the reason for the divorce or has any problem with her.

As Amelia and others have already pointed out it's a completely different situation nowadays. Marie will never play an equally important role as Alexandra and IMO will never reach a higher rank on the popularity scale than no.4 (simply because the Queen, Frederik and Mary are very popular). But I think nowadays even Countess Alexandra is not as popular as Princess Alexandra once was. And I wonder how someone can get the idea that the public prefers her. Was there a poll about that? I can't speak for 5 mio. Danes but the 50 Danes I know are actually quite neutral in that respect.

I may be wrong but I don't think Mary ever had a problem with the Danish public not liking her. Now people on message boards not liking her,most definitely yes :lol:, but the Danish (the majority anyway) always seemed quite positive about her, at least that they way I remember it but it is all a long time ago now.

I agree that the more engagements Marie carries out the more the public will feel they "know" her.
I quite agree, only time will tell with Marie (like everyone else that marries into a royal family I suppose). The more they see her and get to know her, then maybe more of an opinion can be formed. Personally, so far so good, it looks as if her husband and his family are happy with her. The only negative is the whole language barrier thing and that will come in time. ;)

Marie is presenting herself well in situations where her French and English can be used to communicate. She's fine on overseas trips, especially on JOachim's arm. They make a charming couple, and this recent trip, which included Henrik, showed them to be loving parents, very natural, and truly enjoying themselves. This is positive and gives a good presentation.

What the ins and outs were with Joachim, Alexandra and Marie is something we won't have access to unless someone writes a very intimate book about it all.

If Alexandra decided the marriage was not for her, and Joachim had gone ahead with the queen to make other living arrangements for her away from Schackenborg, and both kept in the background until the fanfare of Frederick's romance and wedding took place, then more power to them.

Having Martin living with her and her children before marriage in this newly purchased house was, in my opinion, pretty bold on Alexandra's part. After all, she was the mother of two children, two royal princes, at that and having a live in boyfriend is certainly quite a fall from the beloved princess she had been. In addition to that, is the fact that her parents were still living on Schackenborg property at the same time that Martin was living with Alexandra.

Now Alexandra has bought (with or without Martin, who knows?) a very expensive villa in Turkey using the new Copenhagen residence as collateral. She twists and turns, and is showing herself to be quite the wheeler dealer. It appears she has certainly benefitted from her association with the royals and is going to make the best of it.

That she can do it is not the question. That she chooses to do all of this thanks to the divorce is the issue. And Martin, well, he just enjoys the life to which he is becoming accustomed. In many ways, it's sad for the Nikolai and Felix, I think.

Overall, they do maintain a civil relationship, which, above all, keeps it all under wraps.

Is it true or not J was an unfaithful husband during his prior marriage?

There has never been any proof of infidelity, or statements made regarding this. It was just rumours and speculation, nothing more.

Haven't there also been rumors about A having been unfaithful?

When a marriage is failing, it is easy to make statements and suppositions of that nature about both parties....

Alexandra and Joachim have had the good taste to stay mute about this aspect of things, unlike Charles and Diana, who were so public and sloppy about it.

indeed, i don't believe in infidelity. it's mature to realise that a marriage doesn't work as it had in the past and that people change and i believe this is the reason why joachim was probably with marie when alexandra was living with martin, while officially they were still married. people need to understand that it is not their obligation to inform us of such a delicate situation (with kids involved) as SOON as it happens. it's normal they wanted to wait a bit and adjust to their new lives before they officially announce a rupture.

IMO this is all under water under the bridge and really has nothing to do with Joachim and Marie's current events.

Alexandra and Joachim were married. For whatever reason it didn't work out. They divorced. They are both married to other people, appear to be happy with the new spouses and co parent their children together. What more can anyone ask?

Due to the nature of birth (Frederik, Christian and Isabella), Joachim's role in the Danish Royal Family will get smaller and smaller as time moves on. Hopefully he (and Marie) will continue to support the Queen, Frederik (long may he reign) and if necessary Christian with the royal duties. That's all one can ask.

It is definitely water under the bridge, but as time goes by, more details regarding who actually wanted the divorce is emerging. That was inevitable. One can't hide the truth forever.

The most important part of this very public situation, due to the royal status, is that all seems to be working out in J and Alexandra's new lives and that the two children of that marriage seem to have continuity, stabiity, and happiness in their lives, no matter whether they are in Schackenborg or Copenhagen. That the four closest adults to them all get along is also of major importance. That way, the boys aren't put in the position of having to take sides, which is so often the case in divorces.

Back
Top Bottom