Disparity of Patronages between Princess Marie and Countess Alexandra

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why Alexandra did not become involved there in Jytland? It's a part of the country that has a strong German minority so the culture is very much forged by the contrast between these two ethnic groups Scandinavian/German. Alexandra with her ability to speak both Danish and German would have been a good choice for this area.

Well, as you probably know Schackenborg is im Grenzgebiet - only a few kilometers from the border. So this is Joachim & Marie-land! :)
I'm not really sure which royal(s) will look after the Danish-German border relations in the future. Joachim would be a natural choice! Then again,from what I have been told, life is slowly changing in the border area, and the two cultures are slowly and gently merging into a culture of it own, taking the best from both worlds.

For anyone whose not sure on them, Alexandra's patronages, past and present, are listed in this thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/countess-alexandras-charities-and-patronages-5554.html

There is an article here about "Operation Marie" (how corny!) which said that PR Manager Christian Have says that Marie will probably be involved in patronages in South Jutland, as it is away from the shadow of Countess Alexandra and Crown Princess Mary and that she can become an important "provincial-princess".

Some of the suggestions given include working with ecological concerns on the Jutlandic estates, and those large industries to which Joachim and the Royal Family already have ties, such as Lego, ECCO and Danfoss.

that's an interesting branding strategy. it will distance her from the work alexandra and mary have done, so that they can all compete in different fronts.

I would also like to know how long Alexandra had to wait before she was given her patronages. Was it immediately upon marriage, or did she wait at least 5 months also?
As far as I remember Alexandra took over her first patronages in June 1996, ~ 6-7 months after her wedding, and the patronages weren't the most challenging ones: The Danish National Girls Choir and Randers Rainforest (I am not 100% sure about the rainforest, I know she inaugurated it in June 1996 but I am not sure if she became patron at the same time). The patronage she is/was mostly known and praised for on this messageboard - UNICEF - she took over from Queen Margrethe in summer 2002, almost 7 years after the wedding. At the time of her divorce she had 23 patronages.

Marie is not married 6-7 months yet and I think it's really no problem she hasn't chosen a patronage yet. She has the right to take her time just like Alexandra and btw Mary. I have the feeling there will be an announcement at the end of this year.

Lilla
After the marriage she [Mary] gradually became patron for more and more carities - but not that many.
IIRC Mary took her first 3 patronages in late November, early December 2004, ~ 6-7 months after the wedding, just like Alexandra, the patronages were "heavier" though (they had actually nothing to do with fashion, as some poster wrote): The Danish Mental Health Fund, The Danish Association for Mental Health and The Christmas Seal Foundation. The next were announced in January 2005: The Danish Heart Association (she took it over from Prince Henrik) and The Danish Brain Damage Association. Her sixth patronage finally had something to do with fashion:CIFF. :)

At the time of her 1st wedding anniversary Mary had 16 patronages - almost too many if you ask me. And she started to work with them right away. But somehow - and I guess it has something to do with those fashion shootings of Mary, a silly idea IMO (1st impressions last longest)
and one Marie will hopefully not repeat - the focus of the media always was on fashion and her 2 fashion patronages overshadow(ed) her 14 (now 22) patronages in the social, health, sport, science, culture, humanitarian department.

Viv
In addition to our "performing" RF we now also have the ex-wife of a prince running about with poseys and waving to gathering crowds. Maybe it's just me :), but I see it as a problem, also for Princess Marie in the long run!
I can see your point, Viv (actually I always found it a bit strange that in the beginning Alexandra took Martin to almost all her events as if she wanted the public to get used to the idea of a new "semi-royal" couple, but this seems to have changed lately) but I don't think Marie should take over the patronages of Alexandra. Another wife, same patronages? There must be other organisations in Denmark in need of a patron and Marie has to establish a profile of her own.

Moreover, I don't think the media coverage Alexandra gets nowadays is that big, in fact I think it has declined in a way I never thought possible, considering what a huge media star Alexandra once was. She is still famous and I think will always get her share of media attention. But Marie already gets more although she hasn't done that much up to now. Wait until she really gets started! :)

I have no problem with Marie's lack of patronages at this point. I would rather see her choose them carefully and becoming involved in issues she is genuinely interested in over a period of time, rather than just "collecting" charities left, right and centre.

The problem for Alexandra at the moment is imho that she never can get it right. If she does give up all her patronages and does nothing (I can imagine it to be very hard for her to get a normal job), people will accuse her of not working for her annual allowance and if she does keep them, people will say she'll be a shadow for Marie. What to do?? Alexandra doesn't seem to be the type to sit at home all day, so I guess the best way is to carry on as she does now. Marie will have to live with it....

I have no problem with Marie's lack of patronages at this point. I would rather see her choose them carefully and becoming involved in issues she is genuinely interested in over a period of time, rather than just "collecting" charities left, right and centre.
Yes, in that respect she definitely should follow in Mary's footsteps. :)

If she does give up all her patronages and does nothing people will accuse her of not working for her annual allowance
I personally think she does so little nowadays for her patronages that people would hardly notice the difference if she would stop working alltogether. (It's mostly her private life which gets media coverage.) But of course a list with 14 patronages does look impressive, definitely more impressive than a list of ~8 engagements between January and June 2008.

Marie should not take over Alexandra's causes and patronages. However I wonder. Danemark is a small country and with Alexandra having 23 patronages at this point with Mary getting the "meatier" stuff being in line to become the next Queen, what is left for Marie?
In my opinion it would be much worse if she is given token assignments to fill in the gaps the other two (Mary and Alexandra) either did not want or had no time for.

I think that Alexandras patronages have been whittled down to 12 or 14. Mary has the patronages in the 20's.

I think that Alexandras patronages have been whittled down to 12 or 14. Mary has the patronages in the 20's.

Who took over those patronages Alexandra is no longer involved in? I understand no one wants Marie to take over Alexandra's discards I am only interested to find out what happened to those charities.

IMRIC they were re-distributed throughout the family.

Who took over those patronages Alexandra is no longer involved in? I understand no one wants Marie to take over Alexandra's discards I am only interested to find out what happened to those charities.

I believe Mother's Help was handed over to Mary, but I'm not sure about the others.

By the way, does anybody know if the Alexandra and Joachim fund, which the two were still awarding together last year (I believe at Amalienborg Palace), is going to be transferred to become the Marie and Joachim Fund - I doubt it would be the Countess of Frederiksborg Fund?

Marie should not take over Alexandra's causes and patronages. However I wonder. Danemark is a small country and with Alexandra having 23 patronages at this point with Mary getting the "meatier" stuff being in line to become the next Queen, what is left for Marie?
In my opinion it would be much worse if she is given token assignments to fill in the gaps the other two (Mary and Alexandra) either did not want or had no time for.

I completely agree with you, Odette. I think that it would be in very poor taste to have Marie take over Alexandra's patronages (replacing one princess with another is just wrong, IMO). I have read that the Queen and Prince consort are starting to give some of their patronage work to Frederik and Mary. This should open up some new opportunities for Marie. Also, the world is far from perfect. There are always opportunities to help others.

I believe Mother's Help was handed over to Mary, but I'm not sure about the others.

By the way, does anybody know if the Alexandra and Joachim fund, which the two were still awarding together last year (I believe at Amalienborg Palace), is going to be transferred to become the Marie and Joachim Fund - I doubt it would be the Countess of Frederiksborg Fund?

Thanks Alex.
What was that fund about? Usually royal couples establish a fund with money donated in lieu of wedding gifts and they fund charities of their choices with the money. Is that something like that or different?

I have to admit, I'm not actually sure Odette, but I shall try to find some information and report back soon! :)

I've just found this from Danish Royal Watchers:
Alexandra and Prince Joachim handed out grants from their Fund at Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen. The fund and the annual grants they award is one of their wedding gifts, so perhaps difficult for them to give up, but also a proof of the amenable and responsible approach they take together.

However, I can't find out exactly whom the money is given to - maybe a Danish member can help?

Thank you Alex.
I guess these two cannot stay away from each other for some official duties. It must be odd though to hand out money from a wedding fund after that marriage was disolved.....Still, it is great that some cause benefits from it.

I've just found this from Danish Royal Watchers:
Alexandra and Prince Joachim handed out grants from their Fund at Amalienborg Palace, Copenhagen. The fund and the annual grants they award is one of their wedding gifts, so perhaps difficult for them to give up, but also a proof of the amenable and responsible approach they take together. However, I can't find out exactly whom the money is given to - maybe a Danish member can help?

When exactly was this?? I have browsed the last few months to
no avail!

Marie is the princess of denmark now not Alexandra. She should do what is good and right for denmark as denmark is her home and country now. Marie needs to stand on her own two feet and not worry about being in the shawdow of Alexandra or Mary.

Does any one knows, what language does Marie speaks when she went with Joachim to his function?

When exactly was this?? I have browsed the last few months to
no avail!

It was ages ago - they didn't mention the last handouts, at least that I could find, so that came, I think, from 2006.

Marie is the princess of denmark now not Alexandra. She should do what is good and right for denmark as denmark is her home and country now. Marie needs to stand on her own two feet and not worry about being in the shawdow of Alexandra or Mary.

Does any one knows, what language does Marie speaks when she went with Joachim to his function?

I completely agree that she shouldn't care about being like Mary or Alexandra as they are completely different individuals. But I guess its hard not to compare yourself when every other person is.
Mary has lots of patronages and is wonderful at the 'job' but she has had over 4 years practice. Marie has had 4 months.

I must say I like this thread I personally believe that P Marie should have a chance to grow into her role ( dont forget she is also a new stepmother) and I am glad other posters are not impatient for her to take on a huge range of responsibilities thanks people. Particularly for the specifics on when Alex and Mary took on patronages it is nice to have a yardstick to measure with though everyone is different with different responsibilities etc....

Kbear, you raise a very interesting point. When Mary and Alexandra became princesses, they also did not have the added responsibility of becoming stepmothers. I have never thought of it like this. This is another big adjustment that Marie is making (and it seems like she is doing it very well). The Moroccan visit is a step in the right direction (when it does happen), and I can't wait to see what her first patronage will be.

We also need to remember that when Alexandra came in, she was the only "main" princess at the time, and when Mary came, she is the crown princess and future queen, so she would naturally have the most important role. Marie came in as the second wife of the second son, so her role might not be as big as Alexandra and Mary's. I also think she needs to get used to living in a new country, and focus on learning Danish, as well as being accustomed to being a stepmother.

I hope she gets some things she truly cares about to work on.

It is now half a year later, and Marie has now had her first child. The little one will no doubt take up time that would have been given to such things as a charity. No ideas of what she'll be representing now that she has the baby which will come first.

Patronages will have to wait.

I think Marie will be on maternity leave until October-November. Given that she is an HRH and princess of Denmark, I think she will then restart attending royal duties and maybe choose a patronage or two.

Princess Mary needs to focus on being a mother and learning Danish and a new culture before she takes up patronages.She needs to get to the use of things this will take some time.Maybe in late december 2009 or early january of 2010 she will recieve her two or three patronages.

i hope she gets given patronages soon. maybe they have run out of ideas as it was all covered by alexandra and mary? i hope they find a niche for marie.

Marie has taken her role as Joachim's wife as her first duty, just as she said in her engagement interview. They have also started a family, much as they mentioned in that same interview. Her role as wife, mother and stepmother are central to anything else. I believe she is putting her priorities in the right order.

That being said, it is also important to learn Danish, so she can communicate, at some level, with the people of her new country. As a princess, she is a high profile individual who has priviliges that most do not have. Certain responsibilites come with the privileged life and she will be expected to do her share of "royal work." Marie is coming to this crossroads at present.

During this time that she is a new mother and is at home, she could be perfecting the language skills as well as looking over the possibilities of patronages so that she will be ready to step up to her obligations in the not too distant future. At the moment her "approval rating" is rather low, as is Joachim's, so this is an area in which she should concentrate.

I think we have to remember that Countess Alexandra had been a princess for many years and naturally took on quite a number of patronages over those years. Therefore, the comparison between Princess Marie and Countess Alexandra is a little unfair. I suppose that if we wanted to be particularly picky about it we could compare the amount of patronages Countess Alexandra took on in the first year of her marriage and compare it to Princess Marie, but I really do not think it is relevant as we know Marie doesn't have any yet!

Clearly, the charities of which Alexandra is still a patron value the work she puts in to promote and support them and it would be shallow of them to suddenly demand a new royal patron.

There may be a number of charities etc that have approached Princess Marie already to ask her to be their patron (but maybe not!?), but they are not suitable or they are of no interest to her because I am sure she would want to have a real interest in a particular charity to ensure her patronage is as effective as possible.

I am afraid that we simply cannot expect Princess Marie to save the world within the first year of her marriage as much as we may want to!

Back
Top Bottom