Confirmation of Prince Nikolai: May 18, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nikolai was so cute as a toddler and now he is becoming quite a handsome young man.

I look forward to seeing some lovely images from tomorrow, and I do hope Prince Edward attends but we'll see.

BT has a few details on Nikolai's confirmation - no, pics are not yet released.
Fine gæster til Nikolais konfirmation - Royale | www.bt.dk

Here about the guests. Edward and Sophie arrived yesterday and they spend the night at M&F at Amalienborg.
Nikolia's two mostere (mostere = mother's sisters, moster = a mother's sister) = maternal aunts are also there.

The twins are left at home, but fætter (male cousin) Christian and kusine (female cousin) Isabella is there.

And in case you are wondering: Frederik is Nikolai's farbror = paternal uncle. Mary is his tante = an aunt who is married into the family.

Last edited:
I am thrilled Edward and Sophie went, lovely. I look forward to the photo of Nikolai.

A few more images here: sn.dk

I wanted to see some photos of the guests as I want to see Mary's hat!

:previous: Thanks for the pics. :flowers:

I so much want to tie Martin Jørgensen down and shave him with a rusty razor. :devil:
Suit, tie and days old stubbles do not mix! And he's getting too old for this anyway.

ADDED: Billed Bladet has a few more details: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/glad-prins-nikolai-konfirmeret-omgivet-af-familien

As you can tell the weather is sunney and has by now crept above 20 degrees C.
A somewhat shy Nikolai said: "I've been looking forward to being confirmed -to all of it".

The press meeting lasted a couple of minutes but.... When the doors were closed a dachshund was left behind and the poor critter ran around bewildered until it was noticed and the dog was reunited with papa Henrik.

Last edited:
it seems very low key is there not any photos of mary and frederik and christian and bella? :-( i had thought they would be on the family picture.

Last edited:
it seems very low key is there not any photos of mary and frederik and christian and bella? :-( i had thougt they would be on the family picture.

Perhaps there will be some official photos released later on. I can imagine Nikolai will be posing with his godparents and extended family.

TV2 has more on the confirmation and the dog.
The confirmation first: http://go.tv2.dk/articlefornoejelse/id-68488308:royal-konfirmation-prins-nikolais-store-dag.html

And the dog: http://go.tv2.dk/articlefornoejelse/id-68489787:prins-henriks-hund-stjal-showet.html
According to TV2 Querida the dachshund saw absolutely now reason why it should join its humans and go to dinner.
A palace custodian tied to call the dog to him - only to be ignored. Well, acting friendly and sitting on the stairs luring the dog to him might be worth a try? - Querida didn't fall for that one either.
Okay, then the custodian was let in, only to be beaten on the doorstep by a dachshund who now would like to go inside. - After having entertained the presscorps.

Last edited:
Alexandra looks lovely! Marie should really have stepped a bit closer to the picture.

Agreed.

Based on where she's standing, she looks like an outsider/afterthought.

Everybody looks very nice, though, and lille Henrik is SO cute!

Lovely pictures.
Congrats to Nikolai! I love Marie s hat! It's perhaps my favourite hat appearance from Marie :) Alexandra looks lovely as usual, even in that print! I missed not seeing Athena this time!

I hear Edward and Sophie went to the confirmation. I didn't know they were close to the Danish Rf!

Agreed.

I agree...that's the first thing that I thought when I saw the photo! It looks like she deliberately wanted to be at a distance in the photo.:ohmy:

Lovely pictures.
Congrats to Nikolai! I love Marie s hat! It's perhaps my favourite hat appearance from Marie :) Alexandra looks lovely as usual, even in that print! I missed not seeing Athena this time!

I hear Edward and Sophie went to the confirmation. I didn't know they were close to the Danish Rf!

Edward is one on Nikolai's godfathers.

From what I can see, Martin Jørgensen is also standing half a step to the side, but it's less conspicious because Felix is standing between him and Alexandra.

Had Felix been standing between Joachim and our Marie, then Martin would have looked odd.

Some really lovely family photo's posted and looks like they got a nice day for a Confirmation ceremony.

Did the service take place at the Palace chapel?

Prince Edward is a godparent of Nicolai, but he didn't attend the baptism. However he attended the 1995-wedding of Joachim and Alexandra and he once visited Schackenborg with Sophie during Joachim's first marriage, but that's all we know.

It's understandable that the confirmation is a low key event on the public side of things, but IMO it's almost too low key! In spite of divorce, remarriages and a nestful of photogenic kids at the heir apparents place Nicolai is the first grand child of HM after all.
Maybe Nicolai doesn't like the attention too much, that's the impression you get from a piece in this week's issue of Billed Bladet.

Some really lovely family photo's posted and looks like they got a nice day for a Confirmation ceremony.

Did the service take place at the Palace chapel?

Yes it did! He was confirmed by the royal chaplain, who happens to be the former bishop of Copenhagen. Lutheran confirmations are normally officiated by the parish minister, but it's often a bishop when royalty is involved, that is if the incumbent royal chaplain happens to be a bishop.

Viv

Last edited:
I agree with those who said Marie looked a little out of place. When you watch the video it appears that she is making space for Margrethe and Henrik but then Henrik stands behind. She maybe also wanted to give Alexandra her rightful place.

The photos are lovely. It is great that Prince Joachim and his former spouse maintain good relationships. Prince Nikolai is a very handsome young gentleman.

Lovely photos of the family on the steps, little Henrik is adorably cute and I loved his shoes. :D Nikolai looked dapper in his suit.

Maybe so, but I would put money on Frederik and Mary's children, including the future King, being confirmed with their classmates in a regular ceremony.

so would i, they also put their kids in public school. it will be interesting how mary&frederik will do it :)

It's a pity that it was very low key. I had expected maybe his uncle, Prince Frederik and Mary to be also attending.

The pictures were off to me, Marie seems to be put to the side which looks like she was almost left out. There was a picture r two where she was closer to the Queen. I personally think she should've been much closer to the family or not be in the pictures.

Alexandra looks lovely! Marie should really have stepped a bit closer to the picture.
It was an awkward set-up with the Queen in the second row. I am sure Marie did not want to be right in front of her. Lovely photo and also very informal. Everyone lookes absolutely lovely and a big congratulation to Joachim and Alexandra for their way of handling their relationship in regards to their sons.

It's a pity that it was very low key. I had expected maybe his uncle, Prince Frederik and Mary to be also attending.

Mary and Frederik did attended with Christian and Isabella.

I find it fully natural that it is so low key and I hadn't expected more. It's the crown prince's younger brother's son, who was confirmed. Pretty far down in the line of succession. I'm sure it will be completely different when Frederik and Mary's children will be confirmed, especially Christian.

That said, I too have hoped to see Mary, Frederik, Christian and Isabella, but apparently the short photo session was without uncles, aunts and cousins.

Last edited:
Lovely official photos, particularly the group shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

I don't think she looks like an outsider at all. Just like someone who wants Alex to be up front with her son:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom