The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think this is just a family event and not a big royal ceremony for Edward & Sophie to attend.
It's common for godparents to attend the confirmation of their godchildren, or at least it is in Denmark. I personally have little faith that Edward and Sophie will attend, but it's not unlikely.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
It's common for godparents to attend the confirmation of their godchildren, or at least it is in Denmark. I personally have little faith that Edward and Sophie will attend, but it's not unlikely.
Godparents often attend Confirmations in other countries. I am sure my brother's attended his confirmation. I was never confirmed so cannot speak for myself. Perhaps it depends on the family.

I have little faith Edward will attend either. Was there any reason given for his not attending Nikolai's christening? Are we sure Edward definitely is a Godparent? I read somewhere it was not true, but I am unsure.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Are we sure Edward definitely is a Godparent? I read somewhere it was not true, but I am unsure.
He is, I'm sure. Either way BB wouldn't mention it. I don't know why he's his godparent though, I didn't know that Joachim and Edward were so good friends that Joachim would make Edward his son's godfather.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I know he attended Joachim's first wedding but I don't think Edward attended the marriage of Joachim & Marie.
Prince Edward attended Prince Joachim's first wedding in 1995. Edward was still a bachelor back then and maybe it was one of the first continental RF weddings he went to?
I remember reading that Edward and Sophie visited Joachim and his first wife at Schackenborg at some stage, but I don't remember whether it was before or after the baptism of Prince Nikolai.
Like other Danes on this forum I doubt that Prince Edward will attend the confirmation, but I won't bet on it .

For the record: Contrary to confirmations elsewhere Danish confirmations tend to be 'big productions' with the ensuing party and shower of gifts as a considerable incentive for the confirmand!

The families of each confirmand are normally allotted a number of seats at the church acording to availabilty. You can't apply this limitation to the RF and IMO they've done the right thing by planning a separate event!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
IMO they've done the right thing by planning a separate event!
This tradition started with the confirmation of the later King Frederik IX
You can see more here: Fredensborg Slotskirke - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
This tradition started with the confirmation of the later King Frederik IX
You can see more here: Fredensborg Slotskirke - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi
Yes I know, Faster B; but thanks anyway !

viv
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

I agree, it's a very big thing to get confirmed here in Denmark, even if you don't actually get confirmed most young people still get a party similar to those of their class mates who do get confirmed (commonly known as a non-firmation, or at least here at Amager it is ).

It's gonna be so big when Nikolai is gonna get confirmed, I cannot believe he's already turning fourteen this year. Time sure does fly.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

more information Privat til redaktionerne: H.H. Prins Nikolais konfirmation - Kongehuset
Google Translation

Private confirmation at Fredensborg Palace Church at 11am, followed by a lunch at Fredensborg Palace.
The press will have the opportunity to photograph the confirmand with the immediate family on the main staircase at Fredensborg Palace at 12.00 immediately after the confirmation has taken place.
Official photos from Prince Nikolai's confirmation will be given out on the DRF website (kongehuset.dk) on May 18th in the afternoon.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Nikolai will be confirmed in a couple of days and Billed Bladet has written a portrait of him.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #20, 2013.
Lidt af et pragtseksemplar - Bit of a wonder. (Meant with humourous tone).
Written by Trine Larsen, who is the BB journalist who knows this branch of the DRF best.

Nikolai is pretty much like other thirteen year old boys.

A bright young man or as farbror (paternal uncle) Frederik put it: "He's equipped with an unusual good harddisk".

Nikolai is used to chores and duties, they may not always be that amusing but so far there haven't been a teenage rebellion.
Among the daily chores is walking the dog with Felix.
Setting the table and moving the lawn.

Nikolai likes to jump on a trampoline, his aim is to become more fit so that he can take up another sport, parkour. Apart from that he is having tennis lessons.

Other interests are: Piano lessons, actually he got a bit fed up with the piano a couple of years ago, but realised he would have wasted all he had learned previously if he didn't keep practising, so he is soldering on with the lessons.
He used to play bassguitar.

He is good and swimming and very good at skiing.

Computergames is also a favorite passtime, so much that his parents have set up limits, otherwise it would get out of control. (*)

An interest Nikolai does not have is clothes. He doesn't care about what he is wearing as long as it's comfortable and quick and easy to get in.

A place you won't find Nikolai, unless when he is eating, is the kitchen. He has no particular interest in cooking - it's just food. However lobster is among his favorite dishes.

Among the music he likes to listen to is David Guetta and DJ Avicii. (**)
He likes watching Jackass, Top Gear (***) and South Park.
Discovery is also something he watches, especially Bear Grylls.

Unsurprisingly Nikolai is fluent in English, pretty good at German and getting well versed in French as well.

His wishlist for his confirmation isn't much different from other boys his age:
iTunes cards.
X-box games.
Cool sunglasses.
Cufflinks.
Cool leather wallet.
Smart looking hunting bag.
Watch.
Fountain pen.

Nikolai will be confirmed at 11.00 at Fredensborg. At 12.00 there will be a photosession at the stairs to the palace, where Nikolai will pose with close relatives. And then it's time for dinner, presents and being celebrated.

(*) Welcome to the club. We also had to ration computergames for our oldest.

(**) I have no idea, who they are! I'm old, you know, old.

(***) He met Jeremy Clarkson and Captain Slow a couple of years ago.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Royal Highness

thank you Muhler

Nikolai looks like a very smart and nice boy.
although, Im not sure how many teenage boys I know would want Cufflinks

and i loved that little quote from Frederik, that Nikolai is "equipped with an unusual good harddisk".

looking forward to seeing some pics
Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

On the occasion of Prince Nikolai's confirmation the Royal House has arranged a picture gallery of Prince Nikolai's life so far:

** kongehuset.dk: Billeder af Prins Nikolai gennem tiden **

** kongehuset.dk: H.H. Prins Nikolais konfirmation ** translation **
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nikolai was so cute as a toddler and now he is becoming quite a handsome young man.

I look forward to seeing some lovely images from tomorrow, and I do hope Prince Edward attends but we'll see.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.bt.dk/f/?gallery=25599243-N...konfirmationer
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Heir Apparent

BT has a few details on Nikolai's confirmation - no, pics are not yet released.
Fine gæster til Nikolais konfirmation - Royale | www.bt.dk

Here about the guests. Edward and Sophie arrived yesterday and they spend the night at M&F at Amalienborg.
Nikolia's two mostere (mostere = mother's sisters, moster = a mother's sister) = maternal aunts are also there.

The twins are left at home, but fætter (male cousin) Christian and kusine (female cousin) Isabella is there.

And in case you are wondering: Frederik is Nikolai's farbror = paternal uncle. Mary is his tante = an aunt who is married into the family.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am thrilled Edward and Sophie went, lovely. I look forward to the photo of Nikolai.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

First picture!

Prins Nikolai konfirmeret helt alene - Royale | www.bt.dk

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

A few more images here: sn.dk

I wanted to see some photos of the guests as I want to see Mary's hat!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the pics.

I so much want to tie Martin Jørgensen down and shave him with a rusty razor.
Suit, tie and days old stubbles do not mix! And he's getting too old for this anyway.

ADDED: Billed Bladet has a few more details: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige...et-af-familien

As you can tell the weather is sunney and has by now crept above 20 degrees C.
A somewhat shy Nikolai said: "I've been looking forward to being confirmed -to all of it".

The press meeting lasted a couple of minutes but.... When the doors were closed a dachshund was left behind and the poor critter ran around bewildered until it was noticed and the dog was reunited with papa Henrik.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Nobility

it seems very low key is there not any photos of mary and frederik and christian and bella? :-( i had thought they would be on the family picture.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieDenmark View Post
it seems very low key is there not any photos of mary and frederik and christian and bella? :-( i had thougt they would be on the family picture.
Perhaps there will be some official photos released later on. I can imagine Nikolai will be posing with his godparents and extended family.

TV2 has more on the confirmation and the dog.
The confirmation first: http://go.tv2.dk/articlefornoejelse/...store-dag.html

And the dog: http://go.tv2.dk/articlefornoejelse/...al-showet.html
According to TV2 Querida the dachshund saw absolutely now reason why it should join its humans and go to dinner.
A palace custodian tied to call the dog to him - only to be ignored. Well, acting friendly and sitting on the stairs luring the dog to him might be worth a try? - Querida didn't fall for that one either.
Okay, then the custodian was let in, only to be beaten on the doorstep by a dachshund who now would like to go inside. - After having entertained the presscorps.

Tags
confirmation of prince nikolai, countess alexandra, danish royals, denmark, prince felix, prince henrik, prince joachim, prince nikolai, prince nikolai confirmation, princess marie, queen margerthe