Christening of Princess Athena: May 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Athena Marguerite Françoise Marie. Beautiful name but I did not see that coming.

Thank you Charlotte_Aster, Archduchess Zelia and Artemisia for the provided links and information regarding the christening gown. I wasn't sure if it was the one which was found amongst the late Queen Mother Ingrid's belongings or not.

A rather 'interesting' choice of name. Not what one would have imagined, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Athena is such a pretty, strong name. Love it!! Shame I'm at work and can't watch!! Thanks to all the posters watching it live who are updating us!!! :)

It came up on the subtitles as Athena but seems to be pronounced Atina

she looks like she is teething, hungry and overtired nice name though I really like Princess Athena :)

the queen and herik look like they need a good sleep too!

It came up on the subtitles as Athena but seems to be pronounced Atina

like it even better if that is how its pronounced :flowers:

how funny!
she loves the singing and drops a wobbly lip every time she hears the organ
very cute and I love her beauty spot cute!

Last edited by a moderator:
is it Athena or Atina? I think it's the latter.
The choir is singing a Catholic song actually. Panis angelicum is the latin for "Bread of Angels" and we use to sing this at the communion during the mass

HAHA the congregation laughed when the music woke the little princess up!

Athena is definitely a name I'll have to get used to, but like with Mary and Frederik's twins, one must applaud Joachim and Marie for choosing a name they liked rather than a boring old-fashioned name from the family.

I love that they used Marguerite instead of Margrethe.

Nooo! I hate the name.:bang: What were they thinking?

I really like the name, well done! :flowers:

does that mean then that it's probably not a very danish name?

Athena doesn't seem danish nor french.It looks greek for me.
The other three names are typically french imo
maguerite and françoise are old names not very common nowadays except if you use it as second or third names

I think it's a lovely name. And what's more important, it's her very own unique name, not a family name that "belonged" to someone else.

On a different note, we just broke TRF record for most users online: today at 07:45pm we had 1,54 online users.
I'm guessing quite a few people wanted to know little Princess's name. :)

Nooo! I hate the name.:bang: What were they thinking?

Oh I don't know. Perhaps they were thinking ...its our daughter, we like the name Athena so lets name her Athena.

Honestly, I am not that big of a fan of the name...nothing against the Greeks, or the goddess Athena but It isn't Apple or something crazy that you can't pronounce.

Nor do I think that just because you have a Greek name you need a Greek godparent. You pick a godparent because you have a special relationship with them, you hope that they will provide something of value to your child (not material it could be religious or because they can serve as a role model for your child), or you want to honor a friendship. Picking someone to be a god parent to your child is an decision that shouldn't be made at the drop of a whim, based on popularity or to appease people who don't know anything about the parties involved. Its an important person IMO.

The name Athena and the choice of godparents appear to be special Jochaim and Marie and at the end of the day....thats all that matters.

Last edited:
i LOVE the name Athena, always loved historical/mythical names, but it would feel more ''normal'' if it was for the Greek royal family, so i need to get used to it that a 'danish' princess bears the name Athena.

Would it have killed them to give her at least one Danish name? She IS a Danish princess after all. I know her paternal grandfather and mother's side are French, but her title is Princess of Denmark, even just spelling it Margrethe would've been nice.

Congrats to Marie for being able to curtsey so deep with those heels and with a baby in her arms!

Would it have killed them to give her at least one Danish name? She IS a Danish princess after all. I know her paternal grandfather and mother's side are French, but her title is Princess of Denmark, even just spelling it Margrethe would've been nice.
Isn't the Virgin Mary in Danish Marie?

Well judging from all the names one would never guess she is a DANISH princess.

Nikolai and Felix have caught up to the rest of their family to walk out together

EDIT: Why didn't N and F walk out with them?

I agree that there should have been one Danish name for the DANISH princess but these are the names they liked, and these are the names they gave her

the queen and herik look like they need a good sleep too!

They Have Just Been In London For a Dinner With Queen Elizabeth II And Other Royals For Her Diamond Jubilee

Does anyone have a link for the christening to watch it online????

Back
Top Bottom