Christening of Princess Athena: May 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ceremony was very nice and warm :flowers:

Mary's gown would look better withour the imprints, the silhouette is great.
Marie looked great, minus that brooch :D
The children are absolutely adorable, especially Isabella and Little Henrik.

And about the new Princess's name: nothing really schoking there, don't forget there was a Princess Diana (Athena's half-sister) not so long ago.;)
??????
Did Alexandra and Joahim also have a baby girl? Did I miss something?:eek:

??????

I think the poster was alluding to mythical Diana and Athena who were half-sisters (or rather, Artemis and Athena, and Diana and Minerva were). :)
It stands to reason that if one name - Diana - is suitable, then so should be the other - Athena.

??????

:lol: No, I meant Athena the Greek goddess was Diana (or Artemis) half-sister in the ancient Greece mythology.
And Diana referred also to the late Princess of Wales.

I think putting a tie on a child Christian's age looks rediculous so to have Henrik wear one is just nonsensical.

I never much liked seeing a tie on Joachim's two eldest boys. They either seemed to swamp their little necks or they just looked silly. Now that Nikolai is older I can see reason for him to wear a tie on occasion, but I still think there's little need for Felix to wear one.

Mary and Frederik have the balance right with children's wear. Unpretentious yet still maintaining a sense of style that is age appropriate. As such, I thought Prince Christian looked rather dashing. Certainly in contrast with his two older cousins.

Completely agree. Im sure Christian will be wearing ties as he gets older. although maybe he will follow the example of the Crown prince of Norway, Haakon, who often does not wear a tie at official events :whistling::flowers::flowers:.

On another note, thank you to all who posted information and links. Much appreciated :):).

I think the poster was alluding to mythical Diana and Athena who were half-sisters (or rather, Artemis and Athena, and Diana and Minerva were). :)
It stands to reason that if one name - Diana - is suitable, then so should be the other - Athena.

:lol: No, I meant Athena the Greek goddess was Diana (or Artemis) half-sister in the ancient Greece mythology.
And Diana referred also to the late Princess of Wales.

:D:D:D:D
Thank you for clarifying girls. Blonde moment.
Now I'm finally watching christening and still can not understand why Felix and Nikolai were separated from Joahim\Marie and their kids. There was a lot of space for two chairs and it's defenitely not a problem to take two cars. Actually Crown Prince's familly were sitting all together a year ago.
No I do not think that there are some troubles between them, I just think it's not very nice IMO.

Last edited:
at last the official photos! very beautiful!

I'm really surprised by the name Athena. I guess it'll grow on me.

Whatever happened to an official picture of the godparents?
Not bad pictures but nothing exciting.

^^^^^
What could possibly be exciting about christening photos, unless someone dropped the baby?

I wonder what colour of eyes she will have the little princess, al the others kids have an incredible clue eyes!!!!

I wonder what colour of eyes she will have the little princess, al the others kids have an incredible clue eyes!!!!

There are blue.

Oddly enough only Nikolai have brown eyes of all eight children, despite the fact that Mary, our Marie and Alexandra all have brown eyes.

I think it was a shame what happen with the two boys, they should have been closer all the time with their father and with Marie and they should have been gone with them, not with their grandfather...they are a family but it seams that now thay are only four and not six...what a shame!:bang::bang:

I think it was a shame what happen with the two boys, they should have been closer all the time with their father and with Marie and they should have been gone with them, not with their grandfather...they are a family but it seams that now thay are only four and not six...what a shame!:bang::bang:
Then hopefully the official pictures will make you a little happier, since they don't distinguish between the boys at all and portray one big family with four children.

I love the official pictures. Thanks for posting them. !!

I LOVE the name Athena!! Very surprising in my family :D

Congratulations to the Danish Royal Family!

NO it is different.The capital is named Athina, the stress on i

and the goddess is Athina, the stress on last a

By the way, i just arrived on this thread, I missed connection yesterday. Can someone post a video link, where Marie is pronouncing the names??

Lovely names, beautiful baby.

You can hear Marie's pronouncing the name at 1:00 in this YouTube video
Denmark's little princess was baptized - YouTube

Btw, how come I am not able to view this christening thread in the TRF apps?? Anyone has similar problem?

Perhaps it's deliberate by Joachim and Alexandra that they clearly state that there are two families with only Joachim in common?

Nikolai will be confirmed next year.
Perhaps we'll see Nikolai and Felix sit with Alexandra and Martin, their bonus dad.
While Joachim, our Marie, and Henrik and Athena sit among the guests.

That's the problem with parents who divorce and remarry. Obviously Nikolai and Felix love their dad, Joachim. It's equally obvious that they love their bonus dad, Martin. (There is plenty of photographic evidence of that).
So how to solve the problem of including all the relevant people, without snubbing anyone?
That can be complicated enough in normal families! But this family isn't normal and there is no precedence for what they are doing in that family.

Would you see it as a snub towards Joachim and Marie, let alone Nikolai's half-siblings if Joachim, Marie and their common children sit among the most prominent guests at Nikolai's confimation next year?
Or would you see it as an attempt of a practical and simple solution?

There is also the grandparent issue.
In the eyes of Martin's parents Nikolai and Felix are also there grandchildren. Should they take a secondary position at the confirmation, just because they are not biological grandparents?

The most important thing in my eyes is: Are Nikolai and Felix comfortable with this?
Everything else is secondary.

You can also see the fact of the Regent Couple arriving and leaving with Nikolai and Felix as a statement. "Yes, they are our grandchildren and we consider them to be just as dear to us as the other six grandchildren".

Last edited:
baby athena is indeed very adorable.... :)

i feel bad about the elderly man coming to leave flowers at his wife's grave and getting kicked out. he surely could do no harm and wouldn't even disturb, as he wasn't even going inside the church. rather horrible behaviour if you ask me. if i were the royal family spokesman, i'd send an excuse by mail.

Would you see it as a snub towards Joachim and Marie, let alone Nikolai's half-siblings if Joachim, Marie and their common children sit among the most prominent guests at Nikolai's confimation next year?

i'd sit the parents together (alexandra and joachim) in the most prominent role with felix, along their spouses (possibly next to their wife and husband) and joachim's and marie's children sitting next to marie.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's deliberate by Joachim and Alexandra that they clearly state that there are two families with only Joachim in common?

Perhaps we'll see Nikolai and Felix sit with Alexandra and Martin, their bonus dad.

That's the problem with parents who divorce and remarry. Obviously Nikolai and Felix love their dad, Joachim. It's equally obvious that they love their bonus dad, Martin. (There is plenty of photographic evidence of that).
So how to solve the problem of including all the relevant people, without snubbing anyone?
That can be complicated enough in normal families! But this family isn't normal and there is no precedence for what they are doing in that family.

In the eyes of Martin's parents Nikolai and Felix are also there grandchildren. Should they take a secondary position at the confirmation, just because they are not biological grandparents?

The most important thing in my eyes is: Are Nikolai and Felix comfortable with this?

You can also see the fact of the Regent Couple arriving and leaving with Nikolai and Felix as a statement. "Yes, they are our grandchildren and we consider them to be just as dear to us as the other six grandchildren".

IMO things like who sits next to whom at events like these, or if the children are dressed similarly or not or how many hearts are on the church door are irrelevant. The two sets, for lack of a better word, of Joachim's children are never going to get treated the same - they have different mothers, they live in different places, there's a big age difference between them. What probably matters to Nikolai and Felix is not that everything is completely fair and equal all the time but that they remain close to both their parents and also that their parents maintain a good relationship with each other. If Joachim and Alexandra are doing those things then their boys will probably be just fine - if they're not then all the superficial gestures in the world won't do any good.

Muhler, thanks for this! I'm surprised at how much is being made out of where Nikolai and Felix were sitting and with whom. Seems much ado about nothing to me. I believe the boys were seated with their grandparents at Henrik's baptism a few years ago and don't recall such a reaction.

It seems very clear to me when we see J and M and the two boys along with their younger siblings that they are loved and cared about by their step-mother. I really am not seeing the problem.

Sorry. I wasnt trying to continue the "firestorm" by pointing out the flowers. In no way was I trying to imply that Nikolai and Felix are not loved.

Clearly its complicated but IMO the DRF does a great job in handling the situation of blended families. :flowers:

Sorry. I wasnt trying to continue the "firestorm" by pointing out the flowers. In no way was I trying to imply that Nikolai and Felix are not loved.

Clearly its complicated but IMO the DRF does a great job in handling the situation of blended families. :flowers:

No need to apologize, Polyesco. :)
As long as we can all discuss and disagree in a civilized manner.

Personally it hadn't even occurred to me that the placing of Nikolai and Felix can be seen in a negative light. And even though I always give the royals the benefit of doubt, they do from time to time make mistakes or approach things in an unfortunate way. In any way it usually interesting to view things from a different angle.

Perhaps this is the best and most practical solution?
Perhaps this is what the boys prefer?
Perhaps Joachim and our Marie will do things differently, should they have a third child?

Whatever, it's the children that matters. If they are happy and loved, I'm happy.

From what I can see, Nikolai also has blue eyes.
Danish Royal Media Watch: Happy Birthday, Prince Nikolai

You are right. So no brown eyes at all among the eight children.

Another thing I found to be odd (not the end of the world but...)

there is a a photo of the church door.
there was a flower arrangement of 4 hearts.
the two big hearts represent Joachim and Marie (one is blue and one is pink)
and then there are two small hearts to represent Henrik and Athena, (Again one blue one pink) but where are the ones for Nikolai and Felix?

Prinsesse Athenas dåb - Kongehuset
The question is whether it was a decoration decided by the royal family or if it's a decoration from the church or the community where they live (done for all childen who are baptized in the church). If it's the latter, it may be because Nikolai and Felix doesn't live in the area.

The question is whether it was a decoration decided by the royal family or if it's a decoration from the church or the community where they live (done for all childen who are baptized in the church). If it's the latter, it may be because Nikolai and Felix doesn't live in the area.
DR1 had an interview with the florist before the christening and she said she had made a blue heart and hung it on the door for Prince Henrik's christening. When she was hired again this time Joachim and Marie told her they had really liked that heart and would like her to do it again.
I don't remember if it was mentioned whether it was her or the couple's idea to make a blue heart with a small pink heart, instead of a big pink heart of flowers.

But if we want to interpret the flowers, since the blue heart was much bigger than the pink, it could represent the fact that there are three sons and only one daughter. It all depends on your point of view.;)

Like someone else said, the most important thing is how the children feel and Nikolai and Felix have always seemed very relaxed and comfortable with Marie (and Martin). Every time we see them with little Henrik they are playing with him, helping him up stairs or holding his hand. When Nikolai and Felix came back to Shackenborg after Athena's christening Nikolai gave little Henrik a big hug when they met at the door.
Nikolai and Felix will always be closer to each other than to their younger siblings but I don't see anything to worry about in this family's interactions with each other.

The christening gown worn by Athena was the same bette Henrik wore, Athene just wore the under-gown. It's designed by Henrik Hviid.
Nope, she wore the whole gown, but the undergown and the ribbon in the cap was changed from lightblue to lightpink - just like many danish christeninggowns also this one has two different colored undergowns/ribbons (blue/pink) :flowers:

Trivia gathered from countless articles in Billed Bladet #21, 2012.
Written by Henrik Salling, Trine Larsen & Ken Richter.

There were 215 guests in the church. Among the invited were representatives from both kindergartens bette Henrik attends. (In Møgeltønder and Copenhagen). The maternity team from Rigshospitalet had also been invited.

It was as always the likable royal confessionarius Erik Norman Svendsen who led the show.

Everybody who has had children know that the late afternoon can be bad! Little Athena did voice her discontent from time to time. Apparently the DRF don’t believe in pacifiers, so our Marie used all sorts of tricks to calm her daughter. Helped by big brother Henrik, who took care of the ventilation from time to time by flapping a booklet over his little sister. That is, when he wasn’t busy chatting to mother, climbing up and down a chair for adults, not that simple a feat when you are three years old! The booklets, he and his parents had been handed also needed to be shuffled. He was busy!

La belle Marie was radiant and displayed a brooch on her dress, a gift from Queen Margrethe. And earrings made from pearls and diamonds, a present from Joachim.

The name Athena came as a big surprise but Marie revealed to our reporters when they left the church: “It’s a name we have always loved and we haven’t been in doubt whatsoever. We were in complete agreement”.

Bette Henrik and Athena weren’t the only children around. The older half brothers, Nikolai and Felix arrived hand in hand with the Regent Couple, who came directly from England (via Gråsten Manor). As the article points out a big, almost thirteen year old boy like Nikolai may have been less than eager to be seen in public holding grandpapa Henrik’s hand…. Oh, well…. (*)
Isabella and Christian were there as well. Isabella obviously intent on entertaining the entire church, congregation and the parish in general. She danced her way to the church. Once inside and when the baby had been watered at the font, it really became quite boring. She chatted with mother, hid her face in a booklet, yawned and waved to people she knew among the congregation. At one point Christian, being the mature older brother, felt he had to intervene. He looked disapprovingly at his sister, put a finger in front of his lips and hushed her. – Bella ignored him… (**)
However when they left the church Christian proved that he is his father’s son. He had his hands parked deeply in his pockets.

The photo session after the christening went well. Athena didn’t complain, she just needed her thumb from time to time.

As you may have noticed Carina Axelsson used a crutch. Some weeks back, while going for a walk with her dogs, her legs got entangled in the leashes and she fell and broke her ankle. Hence the reason why she was dressed more practical than usual and wore trainers.

Marie’s father, Alain Cavallier, who is retired brought along his sweetheart (***), 62-year-old Marielle Dubern, who is also a divorcee. She has two adult sons. They have been a couple for more than a year and as such Marie and Joachim have met her before, but other relatives of Marie hadn’t.
The Cavallier family, both sides, were observed enjoying the good weather strolling around in the admittedly very picturesque Møgeltønder village.

The flower arrangement in the church had been made by Ulla Lykke Alnor from the town of Aabenraa. There were some speculations as to whether Marie or her mother had been in charged. Marie has apparently admitted that flower arrangements is not among her most outstanding talents, while her mother is good at it.

After the christening all the guests strolled through Møgeltønder to Schackenborg Manor. Here it was observed that Nikolai within a few nanoseconds had discarded his suit and put on something more comfortable. (Actually it looks more like Felix to my eyes).
The guests were treated to a mouth-watering buffet, but as many had to return to Copenhagen that evening, the first guests, among them the Regent Couple, started to leave around 20.00.
M&F and their children left around 21.00. And things went quiet at the manor around midnight.

(*) One of the delightful things of having teenagers is that we as parents, pardon me, got them by the balls. We can at any time unleash our most dreaded weapon: treat them as children in public.
Our oldest was standing chatting with a group of local teens during a visit to some relatives, among them girls (oh yes, his big feet revealed the direction of his interest!). We were going home so I stopped the car and called out: “Come on, you are going home to puttesove = go sleepy-eye”. He didn’t think that was funny. Teens have no sense of humour.
His mother has often threatened to call him “mors lille nuser = mother’s little cutie-pie” in front of his classmates.
Payback for all the time he kept us awake at nights.

(**) There is a charming picture of Christian doing that in the magazine.

(***) May that word never vanish from the English language. Apart from that it doesn’t ring in my ears to call a 62-year-old women a girlfriend.

(Billed Bladet this week is litterally packed with stories, so it'll take me a couple of days to write the summaries).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom