Christening of Prince Henrik: July 26, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Prince Joachim and Princess Marie will be christened at Møgeltønder Church on July 26, 2009.

Møgeltønder Church is the same church Prince Joachim and Princess Marie got married in on May 24, 2008.

Information is accroding to Tv2 article

There is a logo for the christening:

http://www.toender.dk/images/Logo_barnedaab_2009.JPG

It is really similar to the one that was used before Joachim and Marie's wedding. It was designed by freelance artist Conny Paugen Hunter from Tonder, and has been approved by the court for use as an unofficial logo. The program for the day of the christening is listed on this website:

Tønder Kommune

At 16.30 (4:30) the guests will begin to arrive.
From 5:15 to 5:25, the royal family and Marie's family will begin to arrive from Grasten Castle and Schackenborg.
At 5:27, the Queen and Prince Henrik will enter the church.
At 5:29, Joachim, Marie, and the baby will arrive.
The christening will begin at 5:30, and will last until 6:15. At 6:15, the royal guests will leave the church.

There is no mention of anything after the christening. I think it is kind of funny that it is choreographed down to the last minute, but I guess this is necessary for security, and media, etc. There will be a press tent with a 100 megabyte internet connection in order to assist the media in getting their stories and images broadcast as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
I guess the reception starts a little while after they leave the church and there is probably not a time scheduled for finishing the reception.

Josette

Will one be able to "tune in" via our computers? If so, how?

I love the little heart next to the big ones. Very appropriate.

The accommodations for the guests seem very similar to those of the wedding - royals are coming from Grasten, Marie's family from Schackenborg.

Won't be long now !

I guess the reception starts a little while after they leave the church and there is probably not a time scheduled for finishing the reception.

Josette

Hopefully not! It is a celebration, and I would think that Joachim and Marie would want to spend as much time celebrating with their families as possible. Of course, I'm sure that the little prince will go to sleep at his usual time. ;)

Rylt11-there was no mention about watching live from one's computer. I believe that the internet connection is for the journalists to upload their footage and get it on their respective websites as quickly as possible. I think that you can check TV2.dk, DR.dk, and some of the other news outlets like BT.dk and the tabloids seoghoer.dk and herognu.dk. They are tabloids and can be a bit trashy (IMO), but they were very good about providing current coverage of the little prince's birth, so I think that they may be at the christening as well.

Last edited:
Tønder Kommune

At 16.30 (4:30) the guests will begin to arrive.
From 5:15 to 5:25, the royal family and Marie's family will begin to arrive from Grasten Castle and Schackenborg.
At 5:27, the Queen and Prince Henrik will enter the church.
At 5:29, Joachim, Marie, and the baby will arrive.
The christening will begin at 5:30, and will last until 6:15. At 6:15, the royal guests will leave the church.

That is very precise timing, i hope it all goes according to plan. I do hope there is a kind of reception afterwards, but I doubt we'll see any pictures. We haven't for Christian and Isabellas. :)

That is very precise timing, i hope it all goes according to plan. I do hope there is a kind of reception afterwards, but I doubt we'll see any pictures. We haven't for Christian and Isabellas. :)

As far as i can remember ther was pictures from the reception at Christiansborg after Christians baptisem,but if you are thinking about the reception/party in the evning at Fredensborg you are rigth.:flowers:

There is a reception.

Søndag 26. juli 2009
Barnedåb i Møgeltønder

Kronprinsparret er til stede i Møgeltønder Kirke, når D.K.H. Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Maries søn døbes, og deltager i den efterfølgende dåbsreception på Schackenborg.

Source: D.K.H. Kronprinsparret - D.K.H. Kronprinsparrets hjemmeside

:previous:
Ahh i must have missed that.
And yes H.M.Margrethe I think the pictures of Christian and Isabella with there respective godparents were taken at Christiansborg and Fredensborg I believe. But I meant as you said pictures from an informal party as such. :flowers:

Do hope that TRF members will be able to give links to the events as they happen, including video information.

I also believe that there would be formal pictures taken of the godparent group, family group, etc., but nothing that would be considered private.

A video of the christening inside the church and some inside Schackenborg would be lovely, indeed. I believe Nikolai's christening included some videos just before the christening with Queen Ingrid, then the actual christening ceremony.

For Felix's christening, there was a video of the christening itself in the church in
addition to formal group pictures in Schackenborg. I would think that a similar format would be carried out for the new baby.

Other than any formal pictures taken with godparents, parents, and family (if they decide to take them at Schackenborg and not the church), I doubt that we will see photos from the party. I think that the party is private and just for family and friends. Remember that we also haven't seen any footage or photos from Joachim and Marie's wedding reception. Since they lead such public lives, I'm sure that they want to keep part of this celebration private.

I believe that most royals keep their private parties private, no matter what country.

The general public only hears about them later, when someone publishes a book.

I agree with respect for privacy. However, I disagree with "they lead such public lives", as Joachim and Marie have been very careful to guard their privacy and are public only when attending scheduled events. Family celebrations are usually private as well, with only a quick picture upon arrival.

They are very careful about guarding their privacy, but as we saw with the recent vacation photo that just appeared, they aren't always completely away from the media. There were also some photos from last winter that showed Marie trying on clothing in a store. That was another example of being caught by the media. This comes with the job of being royal, of course, and the press does seem to be mostly respectful, but they are never far away. A fair amount of their lives will always be in the public eye.

DR 1 is broadcasting the christening, starting at 16:00, finishing at 18:45.

TV 2 is broadcasting a report about the christening at 20:00 until 20:50.

I do hope that the broadcasts will be available to us who don't live in Denmark and that there will be video links.

I think that the "lack of privacy" issue has somewhat evolved from the days when the current queen used to ride her bicycle through the streets and was very accessible to her subjects. She still goes to the market in France and talks with vendors, acts very natural. She does not try to pull rank or act distant with others. She is an incredible sovereign. It comes very natural to her.

Marie, on the other hand, is nothing like that. I think it may be due to being self conscious about her Danish speaking skills. We have seen that she is fine in English, and, most certainly, in French. She is a warm person, and this shines through. However, she shies away from the Danish.

Joachim is protective, speaks for her when in a crowd, which is natural, but she should start, even in small steps, to reach to the Danes and make an effort to express herself and communicate with them. They want to like her, but she is always putting up the privacy sign. In the long run, this is not going in the right direction. The Danish royals are warmer than that, unlike other royals.

I do hope that the broadcasts will be available to us who don't live in Denmark and that there will be video links.

Rylt11, sometimes DR.TV has a videolink, they did at the wedding in 2008.
A British friend of mine was watching it in the UK, so hopefully the 2009- baptism will also be accessible for viewers abroad!

I think that the "lack of privacy" issue has somewhat evolved from the days when the current queen used to ride her bicycle through the streets and was very accessible to her subjects. She still goes to the market in France and talks with vendors, acts very natural. She does not try to pull rank or act distant with others. She is an incredible sovereign. It comes very natural to her.

Hm... maybe something has escaped me here.. but the current Queen, Margrethe II has never been the bicycling type, on the contrary! The exception to the rule are photos of her as a 19-20 year old student in Cambridge, UK on and with a bicycle; that's the only time the general public ever saw her near a bike if I'm not mistaken! I shall gladly stand corrected if somebody can prove me wrong :flowers:.

Her going to the market in France is a different ball game; she's abroad, she's on vacation, she enjoys the informal atmosphere. When in France, she can let down her guard for a while. She knows that "the locals" know who she is; HM once said that they are respectful but not deferential, something like that!

Which reminds me: HM is very generous when it comes to interviews. Otherwise, the way she is accessible to her subjects is that we can ask for an audience with her, if we have some matter to put forward.

kind regards

Viv

Is there a guest list for the baptism?

The DRF usually releases the guest list just before the ceremony begins. We will most likely see it on Sunday afternoon.

Yes thats what happend with Isabella and Christians, I remember.
I can't wait for this christening now. The little baby is extremly cute. :flowers:

Does anyone know if the christening will also be broadcasted on internet?

Does anyone know if the christening will also be broadcasted on internet?

I do hope so. I think the two latest Danish christenings were. DRTV did a live stream over the internet. :flowers:

The Copenhagen Post has an article about the broadcasting of the christening (in English):

http://www.cphpost.dk/news/national/88-national/46392-royal-baptism-gets-tv2-cold-shoulder.html

And Jyllandsposten has an article that talks about the effect that royal baptisms and events have on the Danish public:

http://jp.dk/indland/article1763222.ece

For example, the names Christian and Isabella became very popular after the christenings. Even Prince Joachim's name. Apparently, it was considered a bit unfashionable at the time, but after the christening, there was a slight increase in babies with that name. It also talks about how royal events have the effect of bringing people together, and inspiring a national identity. The article then gives an example of Princess Mary's sunglasses and clothes, and the effect that they have on Danish women who often purchase similar styles after they have seen Mary wear them (this was a kind of light-hearted example).

Last edited:
Usually when its this close in time, the Palace has released the Guest List, does anyone know if this Guest List has been released ?????????

I just checked the DRF's site, and there is nothing yet. I think it will probably be released tomorrow morning. They do have the program listed and information about the baptismal font.

Kongehuset - Aktuelt

Here is an article that talks about how the town of Mogeltonder is getting ready for the christening:

http://www.berlingske.dk/article/20090725/danmark/707250051/

They interviewed a cafe owner who has been very busy serving tourists and journalists who have come to town for the event. They also talked about the sounds of music coming from the church as the church singers have been practicing. They did not reveal what music would be played. They also talked about a guitar duo, known as Royal Guitars, who have played for royal events in the past. They will be backing the singers during the ceremony, and will be playing at the private reception at Schackenborg after the christening. The village has a relaxed atmosphere, and even with journalists setting up equipment, the feeling is still relaxed and happy.

Last edited:
Maybe that will ensure that Joachim is included as a name for the little son!

So, that would mean we could very well have ___________ Joachim Henrik Alain ! (with Christopoher going in that firs blank!)

No guest list as of yet on the website. The article about the music coming from the church is wonderful. The programme looks good, and I shall definetely be watching the christening over the internet. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom