Christening of Prince Henrik: July 26, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am also surprised that the two older children were not with Marie and Joachim, it just puts a distance between them. The official photos do appear to be rather stiff, the boys don't look as though they that at ease or involved . Maybe they were in trouble, as some seem to think they did not behave in the church although I don't agree with this.
It was a lovely service and little Prince Henrik is a sweet baby.

The official pictures werent too bad, they were kind of nice since they looked like they had an old effect to them. The background was abit cold but yet the overall was not bad.

I agree about the brothers being separated, but do siblings usually sit near the parents at a baptism? There was so much emphasis on unity between the boys and Marie before the wedding.

How often are Nikolai and Felix with Marie and Joachim? Tis is one of the bad byproducts of a divorce, unfortuately. Splitting the time between two households sounds fine on paper, but is never ideal, especially when distances are involved. That is one reason, I think, that Joachim is so happy now - his great big home is filling up with loved ones after losing them.

One of Prince Henrik's christening presents was a "car" given to him by the birth team from the hospital where he was born:

Billed-Bladet - Lille prins Henriks første krone-bil

And this article talks about how Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik (the consort, not the lille prins) lovingly took care of Nikolai and Felix during the christening:
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelig...armor og farfar passede Nikolai og Felix.aspx
The article says that Prince Joachim and Princess Marie were very busy with the christening, so it was only natural that the grandparents would look after the older children during the day. It says that the Queen and Prince Consort looked forward to spending time with Nikolai and Felix.

Last edited:
How cute, he's all set to go racing with Dad now!

what was the plane incident? i didn't see the videos so maybe that's why i am lost.

however, i thought it looked like a lovely ceremony. everyone, specially marie, was radiant and happy.

On the videos from the christening, you can see Nikolai, Felix, and Christian making paper airplanes during the event.

Here is an article (kind of silly, IMO) that asks if the name Henrik is hot or not:
http://vip.tv2.dk/article.php/id-23958360.html
The trends with royal christenings have always been that the name given to the royal child rises in popularity among parents having babies, even though the Danish public might say that they think it is strange. Joachim was a good example of this.

Last edited:
One advantage about everyone (except Joachim and the queen) wearing beige and white is that they were very color coordinated for the formal pictures.

Marie, Mary, Nikolai, Felix, and, of course baby Henrik all in white.

I believe post #221 in this same thread has a link that will enable you to see the long christening video.

I hope that you will be able to connect to it. It is very beautiful, lasts about an hour or so.

Please merge this...

No, it's post #226 on this same thread. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The christening thread is closed - so I thought I'd say here how tasteful and appropriate this was. It was inclusionary, low-key, family oriented and quietly happy. ALL of the royal children are ridiculously adorable, even when they're misbehaving.

I'm glad that this latest child is a boy, because instead of being "different," he's another-of-the-same, but new. My mother used to say that every baby comes with its own love and happiness, and it seems as though the DRF (the immediate family) has found a way for this to be expressed.

This thread has been re-opened after several posts were moved to this thread. Please keep this thread on-topic, that is little Prince Henrik's christening. Discussion about Prince Joachim and Princess Marie's friends, how they know said friends and how/where the couple first met should take place in the relevant thread.

Future off-topic posts will be moved or deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Thank you,
The Danish Forum Moderators :flowers:

Hmmm i don´t know about the names..i thourgt it woud had been more french kinde of names like Valdemar, Fransois ore Pirere, BUT Henrik ???

Hmmm i don´t know about the names..i thourgt it woud had been more french kinde of names like Valdemar, Fransois ore Pirere, BUT Henrik ???

Henrik is the name of the grandfather. If they had named him Henri one I prefer thats that the french version of Henrik, the Prince Consorts birth name.
Vlademar is more Danish/Scandinavian than French. :flowers:

Henrik is the name of the grandfather. If they had named him Henri one I prefer thats that the french version of Henrik, the Prince Consorts birth name.
Vlademar is more Danish/Scandinavian than French. :flowers:

I know that Henrik is the name of the grandfarther but is it not the meaning that a new name is comming first and then the names of the grandfarthers and that the last name parhaps is the name of the farther ?

Joachim-Holger-Valdemar- Christinan wher is the name from his farthers names i just don´t get it ?

I know that Henrik is the name of the grandfarther but is it not the meaning that a new name is comming first and then the names of the grandfarthers and that the last name parhaps is the name of the farther ?

Joachim-Holger-Valdemar- Christinan wher is the name from his farthers names i just don´t get it ?

Frederik is Frederik Andre Henrik Christian.
This is possible why Joachim does not have his fathers name.

Carl is possible after Count Carl Bernadetto.
Joachim is after his father.
Alain is after Marie father. :flowers:

Frederik is Frederik Andre Henrik Christian.
This is possible why Joachim does not have his fathers name.

Carl is possible after Count Carl Bernadetto.
Joachim is after his father.
Alain is after Marie father. :flowers:

But the names of Prince Frederik and Joachims farther is Henri Marie Jean André,so why not name the littel boy Jean ore André ? The names are quiet easy to say in danish Jean or André...it is one of the questions we probaly never get the answer to from the parrents :flowers:

Well, as some danes in the possible name thread has been saying for the last few years when we have been guessing about M&F/M&J's possible names for their kids, Valdemar is a very oldfashioned name in Denmark and it does not sound good at all in other langages. I speak French fluently so I also know that Valdemar is almost inpronouncable in French.

Francois, Pierre are very, very french names, which is nice as the mother is french. But the little prince is prince of Denmark and is growing up in Denmark so why would they give him so NON-Danish names like Francois for example, probably unpronouncable in Danish and strange to danish ears? Would be like calling a Morrocan kid Vladmir or a Chineese kid Mohammed.

Since mom is french and dad is danish it is much better to give the child a more international name, which the variant of Henry/Henri/Henrik is. At that, they also named him after grandad which is such a nice gesture. As I see it, everyone is happy :flowers:

I Agree it works so well lingo wise i wish theyd have done the same with the Crown Princes Son instead on Henri John Henrik Hans JMHO

I had a feeling they were going to name him Henrik!!:flowers:

I just saw photos of him only a few weeks ago. He really is perfect, one of the most beautiful babies I have ever seen! I mean he is GORGEOUS!!

There were two categories to the misbehaviors - the airplane making in the pews and the crying and wailing at the baptismal font.

The airplane incident was visually disruptive. If young children can't be calmed down with a snack, a book, something that is done discretely, then they can be removed from the premises by a nanny who was brought for that purpose. Nikolai and Felix don't need nannies to remove them, but should not be encouraged by adults to continue with those actions.

The crying at the baptismal font, totally interrupted the service, but was done by a very young child who obviously didn't know what was going on, and that her mother was busy with another obligation at the time. She should have been removed at her first resistance to stay where she didn't belong - and the noise she created later was not amusing.

I feel for Marie and, particularly, Joachim, to whom this service and this baby is so symbolic of a new life for him. I think it was total disrespect to allow Isabella to wail away as the bishop continued with the christening. She was not crying in the back of the church somewhere, but right at the font. Totally wrong, not cute, whether it involves royal parents or any parents.

I'm afraid I have to agree...in the British Royal family there is always a nanny discreetly tucked away somewhere close for circumstances like this. Where was little Isabella's nurse? It WAS terribly disrespectul and thoughtless to Joachim and Marie and also to the guests trying to hear the service.

I have sat through wedding and religious services with small children wailing and screaming and few things are more nerve wracking!:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
There were certainly a lot of positives and a few negatives about this situation.

I found Marie's inability to memorize the basic creeds of her new Faith in her new language troubling. The fact that she was adopting her new husband's religion was understandable, and baptising a newborn son in that new Faith is wonderful. However, if she can't/won't participate fully, how can she raise her child in that new Faith? It makes me ponder that perhaps she made the change only for gain and not from her own heart.

On the positive side - I've seldom seen a handsomer grouping of small children. I'm fascinated by the complexions of the two older sons of Joachim: one so clearly mirroring his mother's Eastern coloring, the other hewing to Scandanavian tones! The children of the Crown Princely couple were, just flat out, pleasant to see. I found the silvery and neutral colors of the clothing of the guests to strike exactly the right note; the White Nights, the whitewashed and slightly imperfect church exterior: the monotonality provided a perfect backdrop to the liveliness and youth of the couples with their children, representing an ongoing generation refreshment.

Yes, I know fully that these are all well staged and that a lot of thought went into projecting just such an appearance but really, I find myself enjoying it immensely. No strong and overpowering colors, no competition for "best-bejeweled;" a family welcoming a new member to its tightly knit fold.

I rarely spend this much time observing the mosaic of a royal event, but this one, for some reason - the simplicity and happiness and youthfullness of it all, the finding of joy after endings, was really heartening.

These two posts mirror my opinion exactly with respect to the behaviors of the children and Marie's inability to carry through on singing the hymns which she must have had a part in choosing, and, more importantly, the Lord's Prayer, which, to this non-Danish speaker, had enough words similar to English that could be recognized as such.

She had three months since the birth to do some homework and be a little proficient in the language so she could participate. Joachim (like his mother) soldiered on, holding the program at an awkward angle for him but clearly easy for her to follow and sang every word and said every prayer.

Alexandra, from videos of christenings in which she participated held her own program, participated and, all the while, kept her babies from crying by letting them lie in her arms, rather than propping them up into an uncomfortable semi-sitting position.

Maybe Marie is a bit uncomfortable in the limelight and tries to smile smile smile to cover up this discomfort.

She does need to know her words when needed. I'm sure she'll do better for the next one !

I wonder if she even knows the Lord's Prayer in french ??
I am not very found about Marie's family.. I did not appreciate her mother sitting between her ex and nowadays husband.
The de Laborde de Montpezat family were Princes comparing to the Cavalier/Grassiot.

I did not appreciate her mother sitting between her ex and nowadays husband.
The de Laborde de Montpezat family were Princes comparing to the Cavalier/Grassiot.

May I ask why?
I didn't see much of them at the christening I have to say.
:flowers:

Lumutqueen , I just wonder why the family de Montpezat were not at Prince Henrik's christening. They are uncles ant aunts of Prince Joachim, such as Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte.
(I am not speaking about the Cavalier family) . Do you understand me now ??

Several posts that were heading off on a tangent have been deleted. Please remember that Prince Henrik's christening thread is part of his TRF history. How many times do you have to criticize or chastise to push your viewpoints across? Do you want those viewpoints to appear in the little prince's history? Please don't use examples from other royal events or royal houses and be mindful of previous in-thread warnings.

Thanks for your cooperation. :flowers:

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Lumutqueen , I just wonder why the family de Montpezat were not at Prince Henrik's christening. They are uncles ant aunts of Prince Joachim, such as Queen Anne-Marie and Princess Benedikte.
(I am not speaking about the Cavalier family) . Do you understand me now ??

I apologise for my confusion with what you wrote. My head must have been elsewhere.
I don't think any of the Laborde de Monpezat family have attended any danish christening.
It would have been nice to see them to attend, though. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom