Baby Girl for Prince Joachim and Princess Marie: January 24, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I also read somewhere that Mary hopes she will learn the language (French) one day...but it is probably way down on her list of priorities at the moment ;)

I find it rather odd that Frederik gets the Chateau, as he will not have (when King) all that much extra time to run this winery/estate (after all it is a very time consuming business) and I believe (I may of course be wrong) that Mary herself has said she doesn/t speak or understand French.

I think they give Caix to Frederik so he will own something in his own name (perhaps in a worst case scenario?).
Joachim owns Schackenborg, and when the castle was signed over to the then child Joachim, there were lots of rumours that it cost the regent couple a tidy sum of money to get it into its present state. Giving Caix to Frederik may sort of equal that score - even if Frederik will have to employ a daily manager.

I think they give Caix to Frederik so he will own something in his own name (perhaps in a worst case scenario?).
Joachim owns Schackenborg, and when the castle was signed over to the then child Joachim, there were lots of rumours that it cost the regent couple a tidy sum of money to get it into its present state. Giving Caix to Frederik may sort of equal that score - even if Frederik will have to employ a daily manager.

But there is also Marselisborg. Is it already known whi will inherit it?.

But there is also Marselisborg. Is it already known whi will inherit it?.

It says in the link here, that it has been stipulated that Marselisborg should belong to the regent at any time (Århusportalen har alt om Århus : aarhusportalen.dk).

Sounds as if so even though Frederik will in time gain the right to use it, it will probably not become his personal property in the way that Caix would be. I'm not sure if that's the correct interpretation.

Let's get back to the topic of this thread - thanks!

principessa said:
I think the christening will take place in Mogeltonder, where the Princes Felix and Henrik got christened and Marie and Joachim married.

Awww...just my luck! :(
C'est la vie!

The story about the little new Princess in the DRF continues this week.
So this will be covered in two posts.

First some updates and trivia and a bit about what other family members told the press at Rigshospitalet.
The second post will be a transcript over what was said when M&J left the hospital.

Both parents of our Marie are staying at Amalienborg these days.
Mormor (*) Francoise Grassot and morfar Alain Cavallier are there for a few days more to back up their daughter.
Bette Henrik is attending the same kindergarten as Isabella, so that he doesn't get bored and can maintain contact with and interact with other children his age.
And in a couple of weeks or so, once it has been established there are no problems with the child and parents and child have settled in some sort of routine they will move back to Schackenborg.

It was observed that Joachim popped a bottle of champagne or two when the birth was celebrated in the rooms at Righospitalet a princess cake was eaten.
The maternity team was treated to absolute first class smørrebrød/smorgasboard from Ida Davidsen along with a cake with pink icing.

Mary and Frederik were among the guests to visit our Marie and her newborn girl.

Q: How is Princess Marie?
Mary: "She's excellent".

Q: Who does the little one resemble?
Mary: "She's adorable, really adorable, but who she resembles is a bit difficult to say right now".

Q: Were you allowed to hold her?
Mary: "No, we just looked. She was sleeping".

Q: Did you bring a present for the little one?
Mary: "Yes a little girlie-present".

Q: Crown Prince Frederik the score is now 4-4, whill you take the lead again?
Frederik: (Laughing) "Good question, ask the mother".
Mary: "Well, it's an obvious question, but I can't answer that. But it was good to be back and meet the team who also looked after us a year ago".

Q: So you were perhaps inspired?
Mary: (Laughing) "Nooo, I don't know, but it stirred happy memories".

Q: Were the borthers of the little Princess also up there?
"Yes, they were and they were very happy about their little sister. They sure were. They think it's exciting".

M&F stayed for 45 minuttes.
On the way out Mary said hello to fifteen year old Jannick, sitting in a wheelchair. Jannicj is suffering from water on the brain and he is about to undergo surgery number 150 (repeat 150). he said afterwards: "I've always dreamed about meeting Crown Princess Mary and now it happened. It's the best day of my life".

Marie's parents also went to the hospital. Francoice Grassot holding bette Henrik's hand. Henrik speaks Danish and French as best as he can. - And yes, he can talk! Oh, yes!

In order for the birth of a younger sibling to be a positive experience for Henrik, he was presented with gifts at the hospital. Two of them from his older half-brothers and one from his little sister.

Q: "Did Prince Henrik like his little sister?
Joachim: "Yes, he thought she is very neat/nice and sweet. And he did also get a lot of presents".
At this point bette Henrik took over: "I've had a lot of presents! - I've also had presents from Nikolai and Felix". (**)

Q: Have you had presents? What did you get?
Henrik: "Cars! Many cars".
Joachim (laughing): "Yes, we have our pockets full".

Q: Is she sweet, your little sister?
henrik: "Yes...".

Q: Was it a surprise that it was a girl?
Francoise: "Yes, it was a lovely surprise and I'm very, very happy".

Q: Have you known long that it would be a girl?
Francoise: "No, not at all. It was a secret".

Q: Was it also kept a secret from you?
Francoise: "Yes, we knew nothing, so it was a lovely surprise. And I'm happy".

Q: Is it lovely with a little boy and a girl?
Francoise: "Yes, it Can't be any better ".

Mormor and morfar visited Marie for four hours and when they returned to the foyer, the journalists were still around.

Q: How was it to see the little Princess?
Francoise: "It was wonderful"!

Q: Whom does she resemble?
Francoise: "Her brother Henrik".

Q: How long will you be staying in Denmark?
Francoise: "For ten days".

Q: And how is Marie?
Alain: "She's in fine shape".

Q: Have you held the little one in your arms?
Francoise: "Yes, of course".

The Regent Couple also visited Marie for half an hour and afterwards a delighted QMII said: "She's a really sweet little girl".

Q: Are you glad it was a little Princess?
QMII: "I certainly am" (As in: You bet)!
PH: "But it's always nice to recieve a new member of the family".

(*) DK lesson:
Mormor = maternal grandmother. Mor is pronounced in Jutlandic Danish like the English word "more", just shorter and sharper and without the drawn out e-ending. So you just say "moremore".
The Copenhagener way to pronounce mormor is just like saying the English word "moor" As bog or marsh So you just say "moormoor"

Morfar = maternal grandfather. Far is pronounced just like the English word "far" as in far away. So morfar is "morefar" or "moorfar".
See, Danish is easy and now you can speak dialect too. ;)

(**) I'm not sure Henrik actually spoke that fluent, but this is at least what he meant.

at last a baby girl for joachim!! the little princess in so beautiful

Transcript of the meeting with the press at Righospitalet.
This and articles in the previous post are from Billed Bladet #05, 2012.
Written by Trine Larsen, Ulrik Ulriksen and Marianne Singer.

Q: Why has it been so important for you to have a girl?
J: “Because…to be honest. When I’ve seen a large part of my circle of friends have daughters and (when) I have seen the Crown Prince, and the joy they all have by having daughters, I would like to have a girl as well….after three boys”.
M: “Three lovely boys”.

Q: When we see what kind of father you are for your three sons, it might indicate that this will be a really spoiled girl. A daddy’s girl?
J: “Yes, she’ll be….spoiled rotten. – At least by her older brothers”.

Q: How have the oldest brothers reacted on having a little sister?
J: “They are pretty pleased with that”.
M: “They are so happy. – They also think she’s really sweet”.

Q: How has little Prince Henrik received her?
M: “He was proud! Really happy and he hopes she’ll be playing with cars”!

Q: How did Joachim perform during the birth?
(Joachim is covering his ears jokingly).
M: “He was the best. He was a fantastic support. The birth is never really fun but it’s always a really big experience. And it’s fantastic finally to meet your child”.

Q: How have the first three days been – as a father of four and now a little girl?
J: “The one about being father of four (*) I haven’t thought so much about, but more about being the father of a daughter. And that’s the really big thing….and it has only been fantastic until now.
It’s been wonderful to see how she…I won’t say how she has grown, but how she develops”.
M: “Yes, she has grown a little. She eats well”.

Q: Has she gained weight while you have been here?
M: “Yes, a little. A little bit”.
J: “That is, newborn usually lose a little weight initially, but that’s quite normal and I can say that she has a good appetite and that she certainly also has an appetite for life”.

Q: You said the other day, that she was beautiful and resembled the mother…
J: “Yes, can’t you tell”?

Q: Won’t you lift her up a bit, so that we can see her for real?
J: “Yeah, but the light is a bit sharp”.
M: “Yes, there is a lot of light”. (**)

Q: Who do you think she resembles?
J: “She resembles her mother, I believe”.
M: “We don’t really know yet, because she’s so little. It’s a bit difficult to say”.

Q: How has she behaved for the past three days?
M: “She’s very, very sweet”.
J: “Yes, definitely. She behaves well”!

Q: You look fantastic, so the little one has presumably been good at sleeping, so that you could rest?
M: “Yes, she sleeps and eats and sleeps”.

Q: Prince Joachim, has the little one been a lot in your arms?
J: “Yes, that I must say, but it’s also because it’s so difficult to let go of her”.

Q: What has been the best thing during the stay at Rigshospitalet?
M: “That has been the team. The maternity team. They have been a fantastic support and help. And they are just like our family”.
J: “You always get treated so well here. It’s touching. It’s a wonderful team to work with and I feel it has all been in the best of hands. There are thanks to both Morten and Birgitte (***) but also to Rigshospitalet”.

The maternity team were of course pleased with being commended and Birgitte Hillerup said afterwards: “The Princess has expressed that she has been glad with the continuity during the entire progress. It has meant a lot to her that she knew the persons around her. That they were the same as at her first birth. That, I believe, is important. Perhaps especially when you come from a strange country”.

(*) There is here referred to a series of very popular movies, comedies, with the main title of Father of Four.

(**) I noticed our Marie shielded her daughter’s face when they entered the foyer and the lights of the cameras were trained on them.

(***) Morten Hedegaard, the head of the maternity ward. Birgitte Hillerup, the leading midwife.

Last edited:
Muhler, a thousand thank yous. It is one thing to see the interviews but to know what was said is a wonderful insight. Keep up the great work!!

Congratulations to the whole family. They got their baby girl and the three boys their adorable little sister.May God bless them.

A beautiful princess with gorgeous older brothers. Many congratulations to the family.

T
The maternity team were of course pleased with being commended and Birgitte Hillerup said afterwards: “The Princess has expressed that she has been glad with the continuity during the entire progress. It has meant a lot to her that she knew the persons around her. That they were the same as at her first birth. That, I believe, is important. Perhaps especially when you come from a strange country”.

Muhler, thank you so much for always helping us to feel we too can understand Danish. :flowers:

But one question: did the midwife really say "strange" country or did she mean "foreign" country? I have once read (not sure i8f that's true) that in the Scandinavic languages the word of Latin origin "planeter" does both mean one from a foreign country and "alien from a foreign planet", so could understand a bit if she said "strange" country, but then I thought I better ask you. Thank you very much in advance.

Muhler, thank you so much for always helping us to feel we too can understand Danish. :flowers:

But one question: did the midwife really say "strange" country or did she mean "foreign" country? I have once read (not sure i8f that's true) that in the Scandinavic languages the word of Latin origin "planeter" does both mean one from a foreign country and "alien from a foreign planet", so could understand a bit if she said "strange" country, but then I thought I better ask you. Thank you very much in advance.

You are welcome Kataryn & Missjane :)

Well, I actually thought about adding a (*) to that word.

The midwife meant strange, as in coming from a strange/another/foreign country, not as in weird. So you are right.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in the second part of your question. Planeter simply means planets. Ate you reffering to a drabant? Drabant = a space object in orbit around another space object, i.e. like a moon. But a drabant is also an older word for a kind of trusted bodyguard, always near the lord or prince he is guarding.
The words we use for extra terrestrials are marsmænd/marsboere = Martians, or rumvæsner = space-creatures. That is when we don't use the adopted English word aliens.
Alien in English can of course mean both an extra terrestrial as well as a foreigner.

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether the christening date, church and godparents shall be annouced before Queen Margrethe's 72nd birthday on April 16th?

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Emeralds and Opals said:
Does anyone know whether the christening date, church and godparents shall be annouced before Queen Margrethe's 72nd birthday on April 16th?

:flowers:

The christening date and church will probably be announced before April. Last year we saw the twins christened on April 14th. That christening date was announced on the 11th February and the twins were born on the 8th January. The godparents are announced on the day.

Q: Why has it been so important for you to have a girl?
J: “Because…to be honest. When I’ve seen a large part of my circle of friends have daughters and (when) I have seen the Crown Prince, and the joy they all have by having daughters, I would like to have a girl as well….after three boys”.
M: “Three lovely boys”.

I absolutely love Marie's little comment about the boys.

I too thought that was a very sensitive and caring comment for a stepmother to make, in the wake of just having given birth. Princess Marie is a true jewel!

Will the baby's name be revealed at the day of her Christening?

:flowers:Congratulations to the DRF on the arrival of a new little Princess.
Has there been any photos of her with her 3 older Brothers?
Is there speculation on who her Godparents will be?
(I love a new bub story!!) ;)

I'm curious, has a date been set for the christening yet? Any idea when it may be?

Patra said:
I'm curious, has a date been set for the christening yet? Any idea when it may be?

No date has been announced yet. The christening date for the twins born last Jan was announced on the 11th February. So we're probably looking at the back end of Feb. The twins were christened in April, so that seems a likely month.

Can't wait until April when the royal christening happens and all these baby name guessing stops and we discover the names prince Joachim and princess Marie choose fir their baby girl.

We are informed in Billed Bladet #07, 2012.

That Joachim and our Marie have returned to Schackenborg. Here a stork waited for them in the park.
They have both been observed on little outings in the car. (*)

In connection with Joachim presenting the EliteForsk award, our reporter (Henrik Salling) asked: Does one sense a bit of shadows beneath the eyes due to lack of sleep. Or are you (formal you naturally) getting your sleep at the moment?
Joachim: "I feel I can say with certainty that I'm not getting younger".
But it's Marie who who is most burdened: "It's quite natural the mother who has most to do. So I really can't allow myself to complain".

Q: How are the Princesses?
Joachim: "Both Princesses are fine".

(*) The car. One of the best ways to rock a child to sleep. - A hundred years ago a rag soaked in schnapps was used as a pacifier at bedtime.
Buuut, faced with the alternative of sharing your Red Aalborg with you baby or taking her for a ride.... Okay, where's the car keys?

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it odd that they haven't announced a christening date yet? It's supposed to be when the baby is around 3 months old; the little princess turns 3 months old on April 24th...

Back
Top Bottom