Baby Boy for Princess Marie and Prince Joachim: May 4, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if there's nothing wrong, it's normal for Danish women to go home soon after the birth. If there has been a lot of bleeding, or there are other problems, the woman will stay longer.

But the Princess gets special treatment, and why not stay then, when they have a huge room and when Joachim can stay there.

I think if there's nothing wrong, it's normal for Danish women to go home soon after the birth. If there has been a lot of bleeding, or there are other problems, the woman will stay longer.

But the Princess gets special treatment, and why not stay then, when they have a huge room and when Joachim can stay there.

You are right SarahMaria. It is normal for Danish women to go home soon after birth as well. But it is a choice of their own. They do not get kicked home after 24 hours because of the costs. They can stay longer if they want to - and women giving birth the first time usually do. It is not a privileged for princesses only. Making sure that the mother is healing properly, and that the baby has learned to nurse - it is a privilege offered by the medical staff to every Danish woman - nomatter how long it takes. And it is compleatly free of costs for the woman and newborn in question.

I've obviously never been in that situation, but from what I hear, if everything is going well, some women are sent (kicked) home. And I would asume that as a new mom, you would want your husband with you, which isn't really a possibility very often for anyone but the princess.

Yay so glad to hear she'll be going home tomorrow. Can't wait to see pictures of all of them.

I've obviously never been in that situation, but from what I hear, if everything is going well, some women are sent (kicked) home. And I would asume that as a new mom, you would want your husband with you, which isn't really a possibility very often for anyone but the princess.

SarahMaria, no danish woman will ever be kicked out of a Danish hospital 24 houres after giving birth. She might be kicked out if she is overstaying her welcomme. Everything has to come to an end after all. Spending a hole lifetime in hospital is not acceptable.

But you are right. Having two rooms and a bed made up for the husband in one of the rooms is a privilege for a princess.

Having your husband sleeping over is however not a privelege for a princess only, it is a privelege for all. Believe me. I have been there. I have been 'seelping' over at Rigshospitalt (and my appartment is only about 150 meters away from Rigshospitalet - on Ryesgade). I wasn't even the husband - but a friend who was offered a bed while a friend of mine was in labour. Her husband was offered a bad as well - naturally. Non of us ever used the beds as sleeping wasn't a possibility due to the exitement of the situation.

I some countries in South America, a new mother can stay even longer, I believe I stayed about a week, in a maternity hospital, with a personal nurse round the clock. That was my experience. I don't know if that is still the norm.

I know that in Brazil, the new mother is treated very, very well, with no rush. This is very different from the United States. Again, this is years ago, and I don't know if that is still the case now.

Very nice for the new mother to be able to have her husband close by like that.

Marie will have a fairly long trip to Schackenborg eventually --- isn't it about 3 hours by car ? --- so it is good not to rush the hospital stay and let her get the well-deserved rest.

I some countries in South America, a new mother can stay even longer, I believe I stayed about a week, in a maternity hospital, with a personal nurse round the clock. That was my experience. I don't know if that is still the norm.

I know that in Brazil, the new mother is treated very, very well, with no rush. This is very different from the United States. Again, this is years ago, and I don't know if that is still the case now.

Rylt11, it is nice to learn that the treatment of the new mother is excellent in other countries as well :flowers:

Like all posters, I also wonder who the little one looks like. I think brown eyes (though they make look blue now) for sure, as both of Marie's parents have brown eyes and there doesn't seem to be a recessive gene from maternal great-grandparents.

This is unlike Nikolai and Felix, whose maternal grandmother had blond coloration and light eyes.

It's common in hospitals here in Atlantic Canada for cots to be set up for the fathers. Not only does it enable the father to be close to mom and baby, but it helps to relieve some of the burden on staff. Our health care system is quite stretched and so enabling the father to stay at the hospital allows for the parents to begin providing more care for the baby from the onset.

To me that seems to be not only a sensible approach but also a very humane one :flowers:.

nowadays, paternity leaves are common and the father can take 2 weeks to be at home or in the hospital with his family.

i'm glad to know marie is leaving tomorrow, can't wait to see the baby! although it's a shame they have to travel for so long, i bet it must be nice to (like frederik and mary) live closeby to the hospital.

I wonder how long they will stay in Copenhagen? I would be surprised if they took the 3 hour drive tomorrow. Hopefully, everyone will be well-rested and able to leave the hospital tomorrow.

I agree with the idea of waiting to go to Schackeborg. It's probably way too soon to do that. Goodness knows, I couldn't think of sitting in a car for a 3 hour drive just after having a baby. Maybe a week or two in Copenhagen? This will give Marie a chance to be ready for the trip --- comfort-wise

I wonder around what time she'll leave haha wish we knew that way I can see if I'll be awake or not.(I'm on Canadian time so probably not)

In the USA, cots are also available for new fathers, in the same room as the mother, not separate room, as in the case of Marie and Joachim.

Congratulations to the royal couple and God bless the family and the new addition. Long live the latest Prince of Denmark!

:daneflag: :denmarkstandard: :daneflag: :fireworks:

It is already Thursday in Denmark, do we know when Marie leaves hospital?

^Yes I agree I too would like to know if there has been any word at about what time she will leave.

Thanks very much cécile for the links. How exciting!!

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see the new prince. Do you think that Nikolai and Felix will attend the presentation?

maybe prince nikolai and prince felix will be there .to see their lovely little brother

Well, right now it's 7AM on the US east coast. This would make it 1PM in Denmark. Nothing yet on pictures. Too soon, I guess.

Will try later. It's terrible to keep watching a pot that is about to boil....

It's not working very well for me! but the little prince seems very cute! can't wait for the pics!

Princess Marie looks great and so happy!

Aww, he's so small and sweet. And both parents are so proud. Smiling all the time and answering questions. Too bad I don't understand a word.

The little Prince looks so precious sleeping in Princess Marie's arms! She and Prince Joachim are just beaming!! He looks so cute!! I was also pleased to see Marie's father there too. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom