Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Telegraph:

Duchess of Cambridge plans to follow in Diana's footsteps with Africa aid visit

"A royal source confirmed that the Prince and Kate Middleton were “considering” a visit to the region to further boost Unicef’s efforts to raise money to help the 13 million people affected by the crisis."

The media is so crazy sometimes with their Diana comparisons. They should give it a rest.

As for their anniversary, I am far more skeptical so i say since it is only six months, let's wait until they hit the two decade mark and still act all lovey.

As for her increase in charity work I believe that given her press attention she can do good work if she wants to. I hope she gets really involved with the causes and not just for photo reasons. As for her work so far she is doing the work the Royals always do. For example, it is not unusual for royals to write follow-ups to people they visit. It is nice to see her continue the tradition though.

I will say though that It would be nice to see a royal get involved in something that teaches people in Africa to be self-sufficient. This will help to end the cycle of dependency in so many ways.

Oh good grief!! Can't some of you focus on what's important here? UNICEF got badly needed exposure to it's Relief Efforts in East Africa. According to some, their Twitter site crashed due to the mass amount of people checking it out after the coverage of the Cambridges and Crown Prince and Princess hit the airwaves/Internet and that UNICEF has recieved a massive amount in donations for just one day.

That is NOT nothing. Surely there's some site out there for people who hate Kate regardless of what she does. Go and find it so the rest of us can have discussions about what is actually going on w/out the vicious agenda certain posters here seem to have.

Sorry for that, but enough is enough!!

I don't think anyone said they hated Kate. I think people are just making comments on whether or not UNICEF is a fit charity to support, how she did her job or how successful royal/celebrity visits are. It's hard to argue with the notion that even with the increase in funds that it will not eradicate the famine issue there. That doesn't mean people shouldn't donate but until the government/economic/social problems in the region are fixed this problem will keep going.

Just because some people are not lavishing praise on the royal couple does not mean they do not care about the situation in Africa. ;)

William is so very similar to his mother when he's speaking. Same facial expressions, gestures, speech patterns. I find in photos he's got traits from both parents but whenever I see a video of him he's all Diana.

I'm glad this visit seems to have been successful. I think what royal visits can do in situations like these is give people a nudge towards doing something they may otherwise not have gotten around to, such as donating money. A lot of people, IMO, are inclined to be generous and want to help in situations like this but aren't sure where to start. the press reports that go along with royal visits like we saw today are helpful in that people may tune in initially to see the royals but wind up getting practical suggestions on how they can contribute.

I wonder what they were doing to night a private dinner? may be not so formal?

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge returned to London immediately after their visit...so anything is possible.

I think that Catherine has gained back some weight and that she looked really healthy on this trip.:flowers:

Tiggersk8, and Baroness of Books, thank you for being voices of reason and bringing the focus where it belongs.

And now, a lighthearted moment of the day.

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @RoyaltyOnline

And an article from Express, dealing with today's visit to Copenhagen. Overall, short, sweet and to the point.

Scottish Sunday Express | UK News :: Duchess of Cambridge joins war on famine

Thank you for the image and link, Daria. Those four people are just so attractive.

And thank you, Ghost Night, for the YouTube link on UNICEF. Those images from Africa are really so poignant.

All in all, a day's work well done by the Danish and British royal couples.

I'm sorry, but there are certain members of this board that it *never* fails. Their postings are nasty, vindictive and just plain tiresome. It would be one thing if the tone was once in awhile, but it's not. It's constant and not just in threads about the Duchess of Cambridge.

Behaviour such as that does not serve this board and only brings it down. I hate people who post fawning comments just as much as the other person, but when someone goes out and does their job w/out putting a foot wrong, how does saying nothing but negative nasty things about that person or the event come across?

At least I don't cringe or take a deep breath before clicking a thread link w/their names beside it most of the time since the weekend. As I said, the Ignore feature here is a wonderful thing. Sadly, they end up getting quoted and...

And I stand by what I said earlier. If you feel that much venom towards someone so famous, you're not alone in your twisted jealousy, so go and find a board w/others who share your "feelings".

Leave this one for those who not only admire the Royals and what they do, but know the difference between criticism when it's deserved and someone's sad and bitter agenda against a person they'll never meet.

I don't think anyone said they hated Kate. I think people are just making comments on whether or not UNICEF is a fit charity to support, how she did her job or how successful royal/celebrity visits are. It's hard to argue with the notion that even with the increase in funds that it will not eradicate the famine issue there. That doesn't mean people shouldn't donate but until the government/economic/social problems in the region are fixed this problem will keep going.

Just because some people are not lavishing praise on the royal couple does not mean they do not care about the situation in Africa. ;)

I know it might be a horrible thing to say but I will say it anyway...From the videos and photos,I get the impression that Mary was a bit 'starstruck' by Wills & Kate...OMG, it is the son of Diana, the first royal wedding I watched as a kid and Kate is so tall and pretty, I am not worthy...(Jokes people, no rotten tomatoes OK) It was just an impression and maybe I am mistaking Mary natural friendliness and enthusiasm for fawning...

I think it's just that Mary looked very comfortable and Kate still looks a bit standoffish- but it's very obviously because of still being a bit self-conscious and getting used to the spotlight.

Also, Mary was in her own country and playing hostess.

The media is so crazy sometimes with their Diana comparisons. They should give it a rest.
I think they are going to continue to try and cast Catherine as some creepy incarnation of Diana for a good few years yet. I think the only thing that will end it is if Catherine finds her own voice and a presence that is unique to her, and having nothing whatsoever in common with Diana. Until then they can and will continue on their creepy way.

jemagre;1333404I said:
will say though that It would be nice to see a royal get involved in something that teaches people in Africa to be self-sufficient. This will help to end the cycle of dependency in so many ways.
According to news sources, UNICEF has already reaped financial benefits from the Copenhagen double-hit with the Danish Crown Princely couple and the Cambridge's visit to the UNICEF depot.

I just wath the report on TV2 (link provided by Muhler). All for were good on interview. I didnt find Kate nervous at this point. She was very nervous and shy at other moments and Mary very friendly, but in the interview she did very well; dont forget Mary has 7 years of practice. So be indulgent

Maybe someone could explain to me why the Crown Princess of Denmark may be takenaback or 'starstruck' by the Cambridge couple?

She wasn't IMO! Now please give CP Mary some credit, thank you!
In fact her voice was unfaltering when she summed
up the core of the East Africa problem at the end of the short
'interview! I'm also convinced that CP Mary knew that the
barrage of media people had not flown into Copenhagen for her
sake!
I watched one of our evening talk-shows, where Danish
celebrity commentator Jim Lyngvild dismissed the comparison/competition/formingfriendship
'girliestuff nonsense' we've seen since the visit was announced
by saying, that what he saw was two professional royal couples
focusing on an emergency. ' This is not about forming royal
friendships, this is about promoting on a good cause',
Lyngvild summed up!
Another voice of reason!

oh, and by the way: Some of the recent posters seem to forget that we've discussed whether ex-royal countess Alexandra - the patron of the Danish Unicef - would be present yesterday. Maybe it would be a good idea to scroll back the thread before making hasty, snap comments?

viv

Last edited:
She wasn't IMO! Now please give CP Mary some credit, thank you!
In fact her voice was unfaltering when she summed
up the core of the East Africa problem at the end of the short
'interview! I'm also convinced that CP Mary knew that the
barrage of media people had not flown into Copenhagen for her
sake!
I watched one of our evening talk-shows, where Danish
celebrity commentator Jim Lyngvild dismissed the comparison/competition/formingfriendship
'girliestuff nonsense' we've seen since the visit was announced
by saying, that what he saw was two professional royal couples
focusing on an emergency. ' This is not about forming royal
friendships, this is about promoting on a good cause',
Lyngvild summed up!
Another voice of reason!

oh, and by the way: Some of the recent posters seem to forget that we've discussed whether ex-royal countess Alexandra - the patron of the Danish Unicef - would be present yesterday. Maybe it would be a good idea to scroll back the thread before making hasty, snap comments?

viv

I could not agree more.

I think Kate could take a leaf out of Mary's books and had dressed down. She didnt really look like she was willing to roll up her sleeves and pack boxes. Her hair drives me insane. She needs to tie it back. I think Mary is always dressed appropriatley for all occassions. Kate just seems to be the barbie doll and needs to think about what she wears and when>

Thanks for your words on Mary's English Marge, Kit & MadameRoyale :flowers:
Most interesting.

I noticed some of the Australian papers this morning.
Some of the headlines were (Australian born) Mary first, then Kate & William - oh yeah, Frederik too. :lol:
However, all seems to pay a good deal of focus on UNICEF, so in that respect the visit was a success.

As you know all four of them met some major donors after the visit to the storage fascillity. The press was not alloved near.
My guess it that these people had brought with them some hefty checkbooks and that's why UNICEF were able to, within hours to claim they had recieved millions.
Other donations must now be coming in as the news coverage is spreading.

On another note.
If you see a poster making a deliberate and nasty comment, report or ignore it.
Say whaaaatever and move on.
There is nothing so annoying to be nasty, only to be ignored.

Last edited:
IMO people are very shallow, a good cause such as UNICEF only gets more donations because two attractive well dressed couples visit. I am glad UNICEF has reaped some benefit but I think this is ridiculous.

Now this might just be me noticing something that's been there forever but, since this visit was announced UK television has shown a lot more charity appeals for UNICEF than before. Also Bill Nighy who's in Cannes at the moment for the G8 and G20 summit discussed yesterday's visit.

I agree Expat.

I bet the royals would like if people pay attention to their causes not their looks or fashion.

I just saw the new interview Kate gave, and I can see why she is not "out there" as much as most of us think she should be. She seems nervous, unsure of herself and very aware of not saying the wrong thing. I guess it'll take some time to just learn that she should speak from the heart and not be too hesitant.

You can see the difference with William who is so confident of what he's saying. I suppose that is a learning curve.

Did we watch the same interview? She didn't look that nervous to me and I thought she answered the questions very well. You can't compare her to William who has been in front of the media his entire life and makes it look natural and easy. This is only her second interview.

she just needs a few more years under her belt old William has been doing it for a long time now , so I would hope he would be more confident :)

Of all four protagonists, I think William & Mary did best. William oozes some royal gravitas, at least on camera. He comes across as regal, sincere and well educated.
Mary was dressed very suitable for the occasion and, from what she said in front of the cameras, seemed to be toughtful and prepared.
Frederik I am afraid is a big public fail, it has been said many times before, given that he has been preparing for a lifetime for the job its so disappointing to see him nervous and lacking any stature. Once he inherited the top job, how long will people be willing to tolerate his public unpreparedness? He is so lucky to have found a wife like Mary who can compensate to a very high degree (its like a dejavu of the Swedish Kings).
Kate, well, ok, she is a newbie and probably deserves to cut her some slack. When acting in front of a camera, her hair is freaking me out, it almost consumes her whole appearance for all the wrong reasons. During the interview, she was extremely nervous and didnt seem well prepared in terms of what to say.

Yes Kate seams very nervous and she didn't know very well what to say and she was always looking at her husband!

Frederik I am afraid is a big public fail, it has been said many times before, given that he has been preparing for a lifetime for the job its so disappointing to see him nervous and lacking any stature.

Would you care to point out exactly where he failed during this event?

Show us where he was nervous. Give an example of him being unprepared.

He was smiling, relaxed, engaged in what they were all doing and he spoke coherently and knowledgeably. He's been to Africa , seen the situations up close and spoke from real experience.

Back up that "big public fail", with some big public proof.

Please.

IMO people are very shallow, a good cause such as UNICEF only gets more donations because two attractive well dressed couples visit. I am glad UNICEF has reaped some benefit but I think this is ridiculous.

I think they reaped benefits because two well known couples visited UNICEF and brought attention to a serious problem that hasn't gotten enough news coverage. I consider myself fairly well-informed, but the problems in Africa haven't gotten much coverage over here. There are a lot of problems in the world. One of the benefits of being a high profile person is being in a position to high-light issues that concern you.

It doesn't hurt that they looked good doing it. True enough.

Frederik I am afraid is a big public fail, it has been said many times before, given that he has been preparing for a lifetime for the job its so disappointing to see him nervous and lacking any stature. Once he inherited the top job, how long will people be willing to tolerate his public unpreparedness? He is so lucky to have found a wife like Mary who can compensate to a very high degree (its like a dejavu of the Swedish Kings).

Well, I'm often critical of Frederik but in all fairness I'd say this time he did fine. - And yes, he is indeed very fortunate to have found Mary.

However, it wasn't the most difficult task the four of them had. They were to pose a bit, chat with some employees, pack a few packages in front of the cameras, say a few appealing words and shake hands with some donors.
Apart from being in the public glare it was manageble.

A press conference or a live interview, let alone an official visit is a couple of notches higher up the scale.
Consoling someone is even higher.

Well, I'm often critical of Frederik but in all fairness I'd say this time he did fine. - And yes, he is indeed very fortunate to have found Mary.

However, it wasn't the most difficult task the four of them had. They were to pose a bit, chat with some employees, pack a few packages in front of the cameras, say a few appealing words and shake hands with some donors.
Apart from being in the public glare it was manageble.

A press conference or a live interview, let alone an official visit is a couple of notches higher up the scale.
Consoling someone is even higher.

I was referring to the interview where he interrupted Mary. Either he doesnt say a word unless she jumps in or he is all over the place, not very structured.

I know he has been worse but compared to the impression William made in front of the camera Frederik still has to learn a lot but somehow I dont see any progress whenever he is speaking in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom