Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a non-event, in my book. I would have preferred them to turn up in jeans and flannels and actually pack boxes. This appears to me to be a bona fide waste of (UK) taxpayers' money.

Ah, comes a hint of cynicism... I don't think any taxpayers paying attention to this visit would be off-put by a pr savvy attempt to bring attention to a truly deplorable situation that has yet to grab the world's consciousness to a significant degree. If this attractive and socially conscious foursome can't do it, then no one can.

I, for one, applaud them.

If anything can bring worldwide attention to a needy cause, and if it takes the megawatt starpower of two attractive royal couples to do so, then it's a laudable action in my book.

Last edited:
The show is over.

Mary and Frederik have left the UNICEF store in order to drive home.
Kate and William followed shortly after, in order to drive to the airport, where they will see a plane being loaded with aid packages, before they fly home themselves.

Let's end with a bit of drama: Billed-Bladet - Kongelig frokost afbrudt af brandalarm på Amalienborg
While all four of them were having lunch, the fire alarm at Amalienborg sounded and the firebrigade came rushing.
It was a false alarm and I doubt they interrupted their lunch.

ADDED: A video from the firealarm: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-45221766:falsk-alarm-under-royal-frokost.html
Notice that the guardsmen are up in arms, which is standard procedure, when there is an alarm.
In contrast to the guards around the British palaces, the Danish Royal Lifeguard are issued live ammunition and they perform military guard duty.

ADDED: I don't know what the magazines will write but I doubt there will be much of substance. There was a very brief interview with all foor of them towards the end of the visit but that's about it.
This was mainly a photoseance, with M&F and W&K as models on a background created by UNICEF.
So I think we expect some deliciously silly articles....:lol:

Last edited:
Ya know, Ya take it for what it is. All in all it can't hurt and I think was very worthwhile. I get more upset by supplies that get donated and sit and rot because of the corruption on many levels.....but I dygress.... Good job Princesses and Princes, you all look great and lets face it, isn't that what matters here....hehe just kidding!

Did Kate make a speech on this visit? I saw on Twitter somewhere that she made a speech or I misunderstood.

Did Kate make a speech on this visit? I saw on Twitter somewhere that she made a speech or I misunderstood.

You mean the Danish visit?
ClarenceHouse Clarence House
The Duchess of Cambridge, at @unicef_uk emergency distribution centre in Copenhagen: "We hope this will put the light back on this crisis"

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
The Duchess of Cambridge has given her first interview since her marriage, joining William and the Danish royals to appeal for famine relief

Interview?

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a clip on tumblr in which Kate answers a question for a tv interview? The poster videotaped only part of the segment so I don't know if Will spoke at this time as well. The quality is horrible.
Is it okay to post the tumblr account or link to the tumblr?

I went to both Amalienborg (to stand in the cold with all the nice old ladies and tourists) and the Unicelf Help Supply Center thing (to stand in the cold with what seemed to me like a billion photographers) and although it was very cold, I don't regret going. All 4 of them were so sweet and lovely.

Regrettable all those who stood at Amalienborg were dissapointed, as Frederik and William drove in one car, and who want's to photograph them?
While Mary and Kate drove in a car with toned windows.

It also bummed me out a bit because they came and then they closed the gates and you could hardly see a thing, but then I decided to go to that Unicef place so oh well.

There is worldwide recognition of the charity. UNICEF's total income for 2006 was $2,781,000,000. Trying to imagine what it was last year.

I have nothing against charity, I have nothing against the participants in today's function. Too bad most of the UNICEF goods make it to the Black Market rather than to the children.

Say what you will.

Thanks to one and all for the links.

This has been so enjoyable to go through since I put certain people on ignore. I highly reccomend it.

And Countess Alexandra was nowhere to be seen .......

viv

Let's have some trivia from the visit:

From BT: Derfor pakker Kate og William proviant på danske Unicef - Royale - BT.dk (Old hands know the drill by now. Se stort billede = see bigger picture).
Who asked the DRF press chief, Lene Balleby and the press chief for W&K, Miguel Head.
Miguel Head explained that W&K both wished to visit DK and UNICEF and he adds: "The two couple agreed that they would both make an extra effort to make the world aware of how big a disaster that has struck East Africa".

Lene Balleby said that W&K contacted the DRF and that a dialog was initiated and the two couples decided to work together in order to lend a hand to famine stricken victims in Africa.

Miguel Head go on: "They (presumably W&K) have several friends who live in the area (parts of Kenya too) where there is famine and in this way, among others have they become aware of the disaster".

- In the TV2 coverage, we were informed that UN declare famine, when more then 15 % of the children in an area are suffering from malnutrition.

The relatively few "royal boxes" that were filled, should be on the way to Africa tonight.
The boxes contained among other things probes for feeding (babies), flour made from soya, first aid, vaccines against polio, diphtheria and hepatitis, along with pills to purify water. - In short: to be used in the frontline in areas with famine.

120 reporters covered the event.

Alex had no reason to be there, so it's no surprise she wasn't seen.

My computer at work won't display the video of the event,:bang: so I'll have to wait to get home to view it. Thanks to all for your great coverage and for keeping us updated; much appreciated! :flowers:

Thank you all for great coverage and commentary. I'm so glad that the cause is being highlighted. The stories of those effected by the drought and famine are heartbreaking.

Great pictures!

Two handsome princes and two beautiful princesses together is classic!

Do you know that Twitter related to the unicef site breaks down (not the right expression) due to the amount of connections? record breaking of connections on both twitter and eastafrica donations. Donations are jumping due to the visit, so in no way it can be a visit for nothing. Millions more for the people of africa. Very good thing.

Why should she be? :confused:

Cause she's a patron of Danish UNICEF. Still active.
But ok if F&M decide to host W&K's visit. Maybe Alex as a former royal is not enough "hight" representative of DRF :whistling:
I'm glad that everything went smoothly (except fire alarm), they helped the cause and this is the most important IMO.

Thank you for that link; some interesting info in there. I had to chuckle at Kate looking at Will sucking the peanut butter off his finger; she looked like she'd have liked to try some but, as the article said, might not have wanted to risk an unladylike photo of her sucking her finger!:lol: Also, I wondered why she didn't take off her coat while packing the boxes; it would have seemed more comfortable unless it was cold in the area.

Last edited:
There is worldwide recognition of the charity. UNICEF's total income for 2006 was $2,781,000,000. Trying to imagine what it was last year.

I have nothing against charity, I have nothing against the participants in today's function. Too bad most of the UNICEF goods make it to the Black Market rather than to the children.

Say what you will.

I think you made a good point about how difficult it can be to pick a charity due to all the negatives that can come with it. Hopefully they were briefed on these things and if she is interested in representing the charity she can work to change corruption but she would have to be brave enough to rock the boat.

It was also nice for so many reporters to come but will that translate in to a sustainable change for the situation? I for one am not convinced but it is a nice start. Famine is a more complex issue than people realize for the above reasons mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw the new interview Kate gave, and I can see why she is not "out there" as much as most of us think she should be. She seems nervous, unsure of herself and very aware of not saying the wrong thing. I guess it'll take some time to just learn that she should speak from the heart and not be too hesitant.

You can see the difference with William who is so confident of what he's saying. I suppose that is a learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom