Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:Well, obviously my remark was made very tongue in cheek; no one actually expects identical outfits or hairstyles but certainly nothing to upstage the occasion. :flowers:

Last edited:
It makes no sense for the Brittish royal couple to fly to Denmark for a couple of hours of photo op packing boxes for African relief shipments. This entire visit looks like two celebrity couples desperate attempts to stay on the front pages.

If the African relief was the concern then plan something substantial that would bring attention to the plight of the victims and money, goods and services to combat it. At the end of the visit the only thing anyone will remember will be Kate and Mary and their outfits.

Someone's PR people must have worked overtime to put this idea together. This is the type of event that puts into question the relevance of royals.

I actually disagree. I think this visit will bring a lot of attention to the charity. Just take a look at the engagement that Catherine did last week. Despite the fact that the media choose to focus on her scar, the charity still got a lot of attention. They put out a statement saying they were overwhelmed by the amount of calls and interest that the engagement generated. So, while the media may spend too much time on Kate and Mary's wardrobe, UNICEF will still receive a lot of attention from this visit.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the link to the live coverage I'm struggling to find it.

you can watch the twitter page of unicef. there are also two pics of Wills and Kate's first sighting, Kate is wearing a red coat.

Thanks but did someone not say we could watch live coverage on a danish media website?

Once this event is over the only item highlighted in peoples awareness will be Fredrik and Mary. William and Catherine don't need this kind of photo-op and the African relief has been mostly lost in the media.
To say William&Kate don't need this kind of photo-op is ridiculous.
I am pretty sure it was the BRF who came up with the idea of this visit.
IMO Frederik and Mary are only playing hosts (as Felipe&Letizia did with Charles&Camilla). The heir to the heir can't be received by the Queen after all, even though the BRF may be more popular than the DRF.

T. The heir to the heir can't be received by the Queen after all, even though the BRF may be more popular than the DRF.

Of course she could receive William as he is a relative and these can visit the courts of their relatives in any case when travelling abroad.

Muhler said:
Mary is around 172 centimetres or 5'8''.

thanks for the correction :) Aren't the heights of the Danish royals on the wall of a church or something? I thought I remember reading that somewhere...

To say William&Kate don't need this kind of photo-op is ridiculous.
I am pretty sure it was the BRF who came up with the idea of this visit.

It suits both parties: W&K are not being perceived as lazy and M&F get attention where otherwise nobody knows/cares about Danish royals.

They showed a live feed on CNN, all about the Cambridges, barely mentioned Frederik & Mary although they were shown in the clip. The American UNICEF rep said it was all about raising awareness because the story had dropped out of US media but with Catherine and William they would get world wide attention to the cause.

UPDATE...they showed a second longer piece on the visit and this one did pay a bit more attention to the "glamorous Danish royals", talked about how both couples have visited Africa, Kate & Will having friends in Kenya who were keeping them updated on the situation, showed them at the UNICEF centre packing boxes etc, and again the American UNICEF rep hoping that the royal visit will raise global attention to the problems.

Last edited:
Okay, watching the live coverage on TV2.

I'm happy to say that UNICEF does get a lot of attention, at least on Danish TV.

Anyway, right now they are watching a movie about the work of UNICEF after having been breifed and all of them sampling a kind of peanut butter, which is really concentrated nutrition. That butter is able to keep a small child well fed and helthy for the price of 6.25 DKK a day, or a little more than 1 $. - So good money spend.

William is wearing a poppy on his lapel, it is November you know.

In regards to protocol: UNICEF was contacted by the BRF not very long ago. On learning that the DRF invited W&K for lunch with M&F.
It's common curtesy for a foreign royal to drop by and say hi, when visiting another monarchy and it would incredibly rude if the DRF had not invited W&K for tea.

Saw a quick piece of video on Sky News, Kate was looking lovely in red. I honestly can't remember what Mary was wearing, I think it was navy?

thanks for the correction :) Aren't the heights of the Danish royals on the wall of a church or something? I thought I remember reading that somewhere...

It is, for some of them at least. In Frederiksborg Castle, IIRC.

Of course she could receive William as he is a relative and these can visit the courts of their relatives in any case when travelling abroad.

Exactly.
QMII can recieve anyone she want's to.
In this case it's more natural that M&F recieve William and Kate, they are after all of roughly similar age and have the same interests in regards to UNICEF.

If we are to follow the line of succession and all that, it should be Christian who recieved W&K. - Weeell, that won't do. :whistling:
And Joachim and our Marie are presently in Japan.

The "packing-show" is over and I fear all four of them would starve to death, if they were to make a living from packing items. :)
William's instructor was a guy from Wales, named Jones.
Kate's instructor was a guy from Kenya, who dance ballet, when he isn't packing stuff for UNICEF.

They are now taken for a tour of the storage facillity.

Regrettable all those who stood at Amalienborg were dissapointed, as Frederik and William drove in one car, and who want's to photograph them?
While Mary and Kate drove in a car with toned windows.

In regards to protocol: UNICEF was contacted by the BRF not very long ago. On learning that the DRF invited W&K for lunch with M&F.
It's common curtesy for a foreign royal to drop by and say hi, when visiting another monarchy and it would incredibly rude if the DRF had not invited W&K for tea.
And it would have been incredibly rude had W & K not accepted ;)!

viv

UserDane,

Thank you kindly for the clip. I was looking online to watch as it is 9:30 AM here in Chicago..lol.

The lady looks a little nervous as she is explaining everything, but that is understandable when you are giving all this information and constant camera clicks are going left and right.. They all look great though! What a wonderful way to highlight UNICEF.

Sort of a non-event, in my book. I would have preferred them to turn up in jeans and flannels and actually pack boxes. This appears to me to be a bona fide waste of (UK) taxpayers' money.

Issued blue helmets all four royal was taken for a tour of the storage facillity and presently they are now talking to people who had made major contributions to UNICEF.

So far I'm quite impressed by the professional way UNICEF has used this situation. They have really made sure they get the maximum exposure from this.
Being very careful about having posters and information boards in strategic places, making sure sure the royals were placed in front of these boards, - and held there.
There is "product placing" everywhere.
The information machine is rolling in full gear...

A little curiosum: When they royals had finished strolling through the store, the BRF made sure the press was chased away. Lest we should have pictures of Mary and Kate fixing their hair again. - Ya know, helmets and hair = bad hair day.

I think this visit is good and I don't think it's bad that British royals interact with royals in Europe. Just because most of us in the UK want to be out of the EU, doesn't mean we'd throw a paddy when our royals went over to Denmark or any other continental country. Norway isn't in the EU and they have close ties with many countries not just their Scandinavian counterparts.

Sort of a non-event, in my book. I would have preferred them to turn up in jeans and flannels and actually pack boxes. This appears to me to be a bona fide waste of (UK) taxpayers' money.

Except none of my tax money has gone towards flying Catherine and William out to Denmark. My 60p goes towards HM and Prince Phillip the only two royal members on the civil list. If some of that my 60p went to this event I'm personally very happy about it. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:

The visit attracted world wide attention to a cause that is barely part of the global conscienceness so I hardly think the visit was a waste of anyones time or money. As the US UNICEF Rep on site said, she had run out of ideas to make people aware of famine and death but knew that a visit by the Duke and Duchess would bring media attention to a dire cause. As she said, "How many people have to die before the world will pay attention?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom