Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just love the little smilie hiding under the chair - Muhler! Very appropiate.
Gosh how did this Pedersen get a job with a magazine. Awful editorial from him. Clearly shows he knows nothing about his subject he wrote about. IE Princess Mary.
But then our journos here are no better.
Hope they allow some pics of the private lunch. But I'm guessing they won't be allowed to take any.

:previous:

If we get anything from the lunch, it will probably be a photo from one of the reception rooms beforehand, like during state visits.

And my dislike for the Australian media reports on royalty has already began in relation to this visit -.- One, Catherine is not 'Princess Kate', and two, Mary's British counterpart is not Catherine but the Duchess of Cornwall. And journalists get paid for this...

Last edited:
Maybe they MEAN contemporary (in terms of age) and not counterpart (in terms of hierarchy/ranking)...And although technically Kate may not be 'Princess Kate' it is just a easier and more recognisable term of reference than Catherine, Princess William of Wales, etc..

I'm sure Kate and Mary realize the amount of interest this visit is generating as well as the inevitable comparisons, so they'll no doubt downplay their attire for this event to avoid focus on the wrong subject. As much as I look forward to this visit, you can tell the tone that the press is already taking. :ermm:
Maybe they could wear the exact same outfit and hairstyle...;)

Last edited:
Nor can I remember any clothes Kate has been wearing. While I can remember a lot of clothes Mary has been wearing".

Not even Catherine's wedding dress? Come on, "fashion expert".

There will be a live 3 hour coverage of the event
Read here

Maybe a bit too much for a love coverage, media taking it a bit too far but if it is publicity for the event than maybe it is a good thing but not when it includes royals and that fact this is happening IMO is because only the Duke & Duchess are visiting. Pervious events, I don't recall such a thing happening.

I find the live coverage well over the top too, but understandably the DRF will milk this visit to the limit in terms of positive coverage.

Kate guarantees worldwide headlines, nothing Mary or any other CP around would be able to create without her. The BRF are the only royal family that is known on a global scale, therefore they make the best of it.

understandably the DRF will milk this visit to the limit in terms of positive coverage.

And do you think the Cambridges are doing this purely out of goodness of their heart?

Last edited by a moderator:
And do you think the Cambridges are doing this purely out of goodness of their heart?[/B]

No, of course not. The Cambridges have to show from time to time that they actually work to avoid the lazy image and give in to the fact that people want to see them, PR boost for the BRF. But in contrast everybody - on a worldwide scale - knows who the Cambridges are while not many people outside Europe (apart from those who are interested in royalty) know who the Danish royals are (or other European royals are). It brings the DRF coverage around the world, what other event apart from a royal wedding is able to do that?

[QUOTE Duke of Marmalade;1332914] understandably the DRF will milk this visit to the limit in terms of positive coverage.
And do you think the Cambridges are doing this purely out of goodness of their heart?
What else is readily identifiable? They don't want to really get into the public swing of things until the Diamond Jubillee is well under way. They have no intention of upstaging the Queen.

The DRF is right to give this a high profile . . . . . perhaps a few people might see past the clothes to the subject at hand.

I can always hope!

Last edited:
Maybe the real tips are to come from Fred...how to justify your position and do the bare minimum while pursuing personal goals which give the illusion of a heavy work load...? Who knows maybe Kate will take up sailing?

And because of the blasted time difference, I will go to bed and when I wake up in them orning it will all be over and W&K will be heading home...So unfair!

Last edited:
There will be a live 3 hour coverage of the event
Read here

Maybe a bit too much for a love coverage, media taking it a bit too far but if it is publicity for the event than maybe it is a good thing but not when it includes royals and that fact this is happening IMO is because only the Duke & Duchess are visiting. Pervious events, I don't recall such a thing happening.

That's TV2 for you.
They always tend to go over the top when there is a royal event. - High ratings.

- And the DRF has no influence on the public service networks.

ADDED: I see that Ulla Terkelsen is among the commentators. - She is among my absolute favourite reporters. Whatever she has to say, it's interesting.
When she isn't covering royal stuff, she is a foreign affiars correspondent. She's usually based in London and her knowledge of the BRF is very considerable.
Alas, she's soon to retire, but fortunately there are a couple of worthy heirs ready to take over.

I'm almost certain Kate is taller than Mary. Danish posters please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Mary is around 5'7" while Kate is 5'9" or 5'10" (at least it seems so in pictures of her with William while not wearing heels). So that would make her just under Frederik's height. :)

Mary is around 172 centimetres or 5'8''.

Last edited:
DED: I see that Ulla Terkelsen is among the commentators..,.. She's usually based in London and her knowledge of the BRF is very considerable. Alas, she's soon to retire, but fortunately there are a couple of worthy heirs ready to take over.

Don't worry, Muhler!: She's on contract till she's 70 according to the recently launched biography!

There's a BA flight arriving at 11.24 and another at 12.04. Or they could be o/b low fare Norwegian from Stanstead....

Viv

Last edited:
Brace yourselves, we have someone from the press who actually writes something sensible: Billed-Bladet - Annemette Krakau: De kongelige har brug for hinanden

It's the editor of Billed Bladet, Annemette Krakau, who writes that the heirs to the thrones need each other. (*)

She writes how positive it is that the (yonger) heirs form a network and that it's very obvious that M&F are close to the heirs from Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands. - With Beligium and Spain a notch further away.
Prince Charles (as he is always called in DK) is nowhere near that network.

Annemette Krakau hope that W&K will establish bonds and form a friendship with the other european heirs, who are of roughly similar age. (**)

She adds that M&F and W&K resemble each other in the sense that they have similar basic values and similar interests.

(*) Kate and William is very much percieved as the real heirs here in DK. With the reign of the PoW seen as an interrim period.
Interesting as there is no real animosity against Charles. I guess he's just seen as one from the "old generation" on the way out.

(**) The couple William and Kate can best reflect themselves in, as persons, are probably Victoria and Daniel, who are more of similar age and about to establish a family.
Having said that I fully agree with the editor here. It's great if the BRF in general and W&K in particular start to mingle with their European colleagues.
The feedback and exchange of ideas and experience must be invaluable for all of them and it will in my eyes prepare W&K so much more for when their time comes. Especially Kate, she can certainly benefit from the lessons learned from the other commoners who have married into royal families in recent years.
From a PR point of view it's also beneficial for the BRF. Every single time there is a royal event on the Continent, the royal commentators talk about why the BRF always send someone who is a notch further down the rank than the one they are visiting, say at a wedding. While continetal royal families don't seem to have any qualms about sending their majesties.
The old explanation about this being something the BRF has always done, is getting a bit worn out.
As a consequence the BRF is seen from this side of the North Sea as aloof and having placed themselves on a pedestal. - And dare I say it, old fashioned.
It is great if W&K will break that pattern.

:previous: Thanks, Viv. That's really great news. :)

Last edited:
I personally don't see how Will and Kate 'need' any other royal family or to particularly cultivate relationships with them. Rightly or wrongly, other royal families are not known in the UK, there is very little press coverage of other royals. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it is reality. If you were to stop 100 regular British people in the street and show them pictures of any of the European royals I'd predict at least 95% would have no idea who they are. Even for this visit today, there has been very little discussion in the British media, except for Hello, that Will and Kate would be meeting the CP couple in Denmark.

When it comes to the top British royals not attending royal events in Europe, in my view this is a deliberate attempt not to be seen to be 'on a jolly' with other royal families instead of at home serving the people who pay for them. I see no outcry among the British people for our royal family to be more visible at European royal weddings etc.

I know I'll probably get abuse for pointing this out but, from what I can see, this is just the way things are.

It makes no sense for the Brittish royal couple to fly to Denmark for a couple of hours of photo op packing boxes for African relief shipments. This entire visit looks like two celebrity couples desperate attempts to stay on the front pages.

If the African relief was the concern then plan something substantial that would bring attention to the plight of the victims and money, goods and services to combat it. At the end of the visit the only thing anyone will remember will be Kate and Mary and their outfits.

Someone's PR people must have worked overtime to put this idea together. This is the type of event that puts into question the relevance of royals.

The London Evening Standard had a full page article last night entitled "Kate and Mary's royal double act" giving a great account of Crown Princess Mary's life and background and pointing to the princesses similarities. The first paragraph made me chuckle though - it said "One is a glamorous commoner who married a prince and became a global fashion icon. The other is the Duchess of Cambridge"

I personally don't see how Will and Kate 'need' any other royal family or to particularly cultivate relationships with them. Rightly or wrongly, other royal families are not known in the UK, there is very little press coverage of other royals. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it is reality. If you were to stop 100 regular British people in the street and show them pictures of any of the European royals I'd predict at least 95% would have no idea who they are. Even for this visit today, there has been very little discussion in the British media, except for Hello, that Will and Kate would be meeting the CP couple in Denmark.

When it comes to the top British royals not attending royal events in Europe, in my view this is a deliberate attempt not to be seen to be 'on a jolly' with other royal families instead of at home serving the people who pay for them. I see no outcry among the British people for our royal family to be more visible at European royal weddings etc.

I know I'll probably get abuse for pointing this out but, from what I can see, this is just the way things are.

You won't get any abuse points from me. :)
What's the point of having a forum if we can't discuss subjects we disagree on.

And I disagree with you. I think W&K need the Continental royals more than the other way around.
Once the PoW is gone, who else do they have to get unbiased feedback from?
It's often said that W&K will do things differently. Where are they going to get the inspiration and advise from? Their uncles and aunts, who represent the "old way"?

Of course the BRF should first and foremost be there for the British people. The population of the British Isles amounts to roughly 60 million, with additional, what is is, 30-50 million in the Commonwealth countries who retain the BRF as their sovereigns.
With Australia on the verge of turning republic once QEII is gone, it's perhaps about time to do things differently and look out?

I see no outcry in the countries of the Continental royals, about them going "on the jolly".
- Except for the usual I-am-a-taxpayer-and-I-object-to-money-being-spend-on-anything-but-me complainers, who would still complain if the royals wore rags and slaved away 24/7 in orphanages.

Why? Its the truth, completely agree.

Same goes for grevinnan, great post.

It makes no sense for the Brittish royal couple to fly to Denmark for a couple of hours of photo op packing boxes for African relief shipments. This entire visit looks like two celebrity couples desperate attempts to stay on the front pages.

If the African relief was the concern then plan something substantial that would bring attention to the plight of the victims and money, goods and services to combat it. At the end of the visit the only thing anyone will remember will be Kate and Mary and their outfits.

Someone's PR people must have worked overtime to put this idea together. This is the type of event that puts into question the relevance of royals.

With the greatest respect, I am not sure I agree entirely with this summary. Am I to believe that both royal couples get off seeing themselves on the front pages of newpapers and are desperate to do anything to maintain public interest in themselves, including cynically setting up this visit with the aid and help of government officials, security advisers, British Airways and Unicef... plus the presumed approval of two monarchs?

I very much doubt that William and Kate will ever go to their European counterparts for advice or unbiased comment. They seem confident enough of themselves and will have the support of family, friends and advisors to see them through. I think people just need to accept that the British RF are not particularly close with their continental neighbours and that there's nothing wrong with that.

With regards to this particular visit, I think it is justified as Will and Kate have an extremely high profile at the moment, higher than any other royals. They obviously know that everywhere they go news crews from literally all over the world follow them. So they're determined to use the attention to highlight this issue which has become in danger of falling out of the daily news cycle. This makes complete and total sense to me and is exactly what the RF should be doing.

I personally don't see how Will and Kate 'need' any other royal family or to particularly cultivate relationships with them. Rightly or wrongly, other royal families are not known in the UK, there is very little press coverage of other royals. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it is reality.

You won't get any abuse from me, because that's the way things are! But then again, try to see things from our vantage point: Maybe it would do the general image of the BRF good if they appeared less indifferent towards theircontinental 'cousins'?

viv

You won't get any abuse from me, because that's the way things are! But then again, try to see things from our vantage point: Maybe it would do the general image of the BRF good if they appeared less indifferent towards theircontinental 'cousins'?

viv

Thanks for understanding and I get what you're saying. I think from the BRF's point of view though, they have more than enough work on their hands in ensuring that they remain relevant and popular in the UK and the 15 other realms in which the Queen is head of state!

I think also people underestimate the fact that British people, again speaking generally, feel a separation from the rest of Europe and feel much more of a kinship with other English speaking nations. Recent opinion polls showing large proportions of the public wanting the UK to withdraw from the EU altogether is testament to that fact.

I very much doubt that William and Kate will ever go to their European counterparts for advice or unbiased comment. They seem confident enough of themselves and will have the support of family, friends and advisors to see them through. I think people just need to accept that the British RF are not particularly close with their continental neighbours and that there's nothing wrong with that.

With regards to this particular visit, I think it is justified as Will and Kate have an extremely high profile at the moment, higher than any other royals. They obviously know that everywhere they go news crews from literally all over the world follow them. So they're determined to use the attention to highlight this issue which has become in danger of falling out of the daily news cycle. This makes complete and total sense to me and is exactly what the RF should be doing.

Once this event is over the only item highlighted in peoples awareness will be Fredrik and Mary. William and Catherine don't need this kind of photo-op and the African relief has been mostly lost in the media.

I'm excited to watch some of this visit by the royals. I'm just curious as to what the protocol is. Will Kate be expected to curtsey to Mary?

I'm excited to watch some of this visit by the royals. I'm just curious as to what the protocol is. Will Kate be expected to curtsey to Mary?
No, they are both Royal Highnesses. In Denmark Kate would only curtsey to Queen Margarethe as she is Her Majesty.

bt.dk reports that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived at Amalienborg at 12.31. There's a grainy photograph of Kate wearing a red coat.
Viv

Thanks for understanding and I get what you're saying. I think from the BRF's point of view though, they have more than enough work on their hands in ensuring that they remain relevant and popular in the UK and the 15 other realms in which the Queen is head of state!

I think also people underestimate the fact that British people, again speaking generally, feel a separation from the rest of Europe and feel much more of a kinship with other English speaking nations. Recent opinion polls showing large proportions of the public wanting the UK to withdraw from the EU altogether is testament to that fact.

Britain and fifteen realms. How many in a generation from now?
Until recently immigrants to Australia and Canada, to mention two of the most populous countries, were predominantly from English speaking countries, or at least from Europe.
However the demographic of these two countries is changing. Will the BRF have the same relevance for the population in these two countries in a generation from now as it has today?
Won't Britain risk end up being an isolated enclave in the outskirts of a vast EU?
An EU that is a much more attractive market than Britain?

- That is if EU survives in it's present form....
As a matter of fact I do think the BRF can have a considerable role to play in the Commonwealth realms, because they are above domestic politics and possible demographic differencies. - If they adapt to the new times that is.

Also, the sentiments towards EU are hardly enthusiastic here in DK either! Certainly not these days! :whistling:

On another note.
A video from TV2 news: William og Kate er landet i Danmark - TV 2 Nyhederne

Showing the arrival of W&K to Amalienborg.
You won't have to see the clip as there is only a glimpse of W&K.

There was a considerable turn out on Amalienborg Square, not least from Britons living in DK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom