Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say that I find CPss Mary to be more modern than Catherine. The Duchess looks so conservative, not in a negative way, but compared to CPss Mary.
FasterB I agree, maybe it just reflects the fact that British and Danish/Scandinavian women have different sartorial taste! It's difficult to pinpoint what it is; maybe it's in the style, maybe it's in the colour coordination , maybe it's in the accessorizing - I'm not sure!
Maybe Duchess Catherine is adhering to to the British Upper Class and /or Aristocratic standards, which don't count in a Danish context??

viv

Oh Lord give me strength !:bang:
Only Billed Bladet could dream that up! ;)

viv

You ain't seen anyting yet! :lol:

No, the picture-editors are tap-dancing with joy.
Pics of Mary and Kate together!

Unless both Mary and Kate put a hanger inside their mouths so that they constantly look like this: :D:D there will inevitable be different facial expressions that can be interpreted and used as basis for all sorts of headlines:
X and Y are best friends.
Y is jealous of X.
X is snubbing Y.
Y is sympathetic of X and consoles her....
Aaaand so on.

- There is however one thing we can be pretty certain of. Their husbands will be reduced to props.

It'll be nice to see the four of them together. It's entirely the right time for William to start mixing more with his future foreign counterparts.

FasterB I agree, maybe it just reflects the fact that British and Danish/Scandinavian women have different sartorial taste! It's difficult to pinpoint what it is; maybe it's in the style, maybe it's in the colour coordination , maybe it's in the accessorizing - I'm not sure!

I don't think continental European's take themselves as seriously as the British, and this is also reflected in the way the dress.

Denmark is a country whose modernity of style is renowned the world over. It's little wonder it should have a Crown Princess who enjoys a contemporary mode of dress and is willing to take a chance.

I find Mary's wardrobe to have a real élan. Appropriately feminine and chic. Where as I find Catherine's wardrobe although elegant, generally ageing for a woman of 30.

You'd be forgiven for thinking she were a lawyer, if merely judging by appearances.

Mary I feel, however, is well established in most aspects of her life and her role and this is reflected in the way she dresses. She has room to breathe, is settled and isn't confined to any sociatel expecations regarding her wardrobe, as long as it remains stylish and age appropriate. Catherine, who is practically starting out needs time to establish herself and a look that truly works for her. I'm sure she enjoys the clothes we wears, but her evident restraint, particularly where her day wear is concerned, says to me that she is advised to dress in accordance with what is expected of a woman, be that a royal Duchess, at court.

The 'the firm', indeed ;)

Maybe Duchess Catherine is adhering to to the British Upper Class and /or Aristocratic standards, which don't count in a Danish context??

Quite possibly so.

Last edited:
I love both crown princess Mary and the duchess of cambridge Let us not compare them to each other they are married to handsome princes and both have style.

I think this has all been done before...whether it be Mary vs Catherine, Marie vs Mary or Marie vs Catherine...and it is easy to do with these three contemporaries because they are of a similar physique, colouring, age and situation (commoner spouses of princes)...and being contemporaries means in terms of fashion, they are all wearing similar styles of the day with Mary favouring the Prada or Danish version, Catherine the UK designer equivalent and Marie perhaps the French or Danish designers...But all of it is basically a variation on theme...

Comparing them is so predicable!

This is going to be so exciting, I'd never imagined them to come to Denmark this soon , I'm definitely going to try to get a glimpse of them on Wednesday (as the half of Copenhagen probably will, oh how crowded it will be) :)

This is going to be so exciting, I'd never imagined them to come to Denmark this soon , I'm definitely going to try to get a glimpse of them on Wednesday (as the half of Copenhagen probably will, oh how crowded it will be) :)

Don't forget your camera, archduchess! I wish I could be there, but in spite of the Great-Belt link it's still too much of a trip.

viv

Methinks there a bit of female-chauvinism going on here.

It's all about Kate and Mary. :ermm:
How about Frederik and William?
I freely admit that Kate and Mary are prettier to look at, buuut for the ladies I'll bid you a Frederik in his navy gala http://stylespotter.dk/wp-content/uploads/kronprins-1.jpg versus William in a....suit https://picasaweb.google.com/100865...atherineIBedarendeRDKjole#5664750104718058882

- Have a tudekiks = cry-bisquit on the way out. :p

(And in case anyone should be in doubt, this is good-natured banter) ;)

Its worse - its all about what dress is wearing Kate and what dress Mary and who looks better. UNICEF can consider themselves lucky if they get some sideline in the coverage.

Methinks there a bit of female-chauvinism going on here.

How about Frederik and William?
I freely admit that Kate and Mary are prettier to look at, buuut for the ladies I'll bid you a Frederik in his navy gala http://stylespotter.dk/wp-content/uploads/kronprins-1.jpg versus William in a....suit https://picasaweb.google.com/100865...atherineIBedarendeRDKjole#5664750104718058882

- Have a tudekiks = cry-bisquit on the way out. :p

(And in case anyone should be in doubt, this is good-natured banter) ;)

I guess they both will wear suits... But indeed, Frederick is a fine piece of a man, while William is just nice (my opinion, of course). But what I look forward to the most is seeing two couples very much in love trying to help others. Those who are only interested in reading about the fashion choices propably won't give money anyway but others might whose heart opens up when they see two loving couples together in beautiful Copenhagen.

I guess they both will wear suits... But indeed, Frederick is a fine piece of a man, while William is just nice (my opinion, of course). But what I look forward to the most is seeing two couples very much in love trying to help others. Those who are only interested in reading about the fashion choices propably won't give money anyway but others might whose heart opens up when they see two loving couples together in beautiful Copenhagen.

:previous: I'm in complete agreement, especially regarding Frederik as "a fine piece of a man" :D

Frederik is definitely a fine piece of man, i'd have him as my hubbie any day :lol:

Its worse - its all about what dress is wearing Kate and what dress Mary and who looks better. UNICEF can consider themselves lucky if they get some sideline in the coverage.

I suspect you've hit the nail on the head with that statement, my dear Duke.

Oh gosh, I can see this thread is going to be a filled by Wednesday! And then afterwards...........!
Both princesses are absolutely lovely in their own individual ways and I think they are actually quite similar at first glance, even with the age-gap. However, once they are together, it will be interesting to see how they are probably very different in reality. Either way, being a polite gentleman (wel, sometimes) I wouldn't wish to make comparisons.
As for Frederik and William, I hope (like their wives) they form a good solid friendship.

I like Mary and Kate (and of course William and Frederik), so I'm really looking forward to this engagement. I just hope there won't be tons of comparisons between the two women.

Last edited:
I hope that the focus will be on the charity case, but I'm afraid that press would like to write more about similarity between Kate and Mary, their outfits and interaction.

Fred is a delightful charming man and I imagine they will give William and Kate a tour of their new palace and the nursery with the twins. That will be a relaxing way to get to know one another. Then off to UNICEF and duty calls. Kate will experience what real megawatt charm is, by the goodlooking Danish viking with lots of experience under his belt. [Tongue in cheek comment by me.]

:previous:Oh, I'm sure the nursery and playroom will be Kate's favorite rooms in the palace given how much she loves children. :)

And let's hope comparisons and comments won't be so vitriolic here that threads have to be closed down again. :whistling:

That will only happen, if we allow it to happen.

Ignore and/or report the trolls or nasty comments and move on. Simple.

As long as any "comparisons" are good natured, there is no reason why we can't have a little fun. :p

I think both Crown Princess Mary and the Duchess of Cambridge would be well aware of the media frenzy that is going to come about with this visit, but these are two mature, level headed women and I think that they will handle the situation brilliantly.

:previous:Oh, I'm sure the nursery and playroom will be Kate's favorite rooms in the palace given how much she loves children. :)

Now I'd love to see her interactions with the twins as well as Christian and Isabella. Catherine and William are both very good with children, so I bet all would be having a ball.

My thoughts exactly DariaS. Looking at pics of William and Kate's interaction with children, I would love to see a pic of the two of them holding the twins and having a conversation with Christian and Isabella...priceless.

That will only happen, if we allow it to happen.

Ignore and/or report the trolls or nasty comments and move on. Simple.

As long as any "comparisons" are good natured, there is no reason why we can't have a little fun. :p

And that's why the majority of us are here; to enjoy and have some good-natured fun chatting about our favorite royals! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom