The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Hello:
Princess power: Kate and Mary join forces to help crisis-hit African children

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Sort of a non-event, in my book. I would have preferred them to turn up in jeans and flannels and actually pack boxes. This appears to me to be a bona fide waste of (UK) taxpayers' money.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge set for 'emotional' visit packing aid boxes to send to area in Africa where they got engaged | Mail Online
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Majesty

Issued blue helmets all four royal was taken for a tour of the storage facillity and presently they are now talking to people who had made major contributions to UNICEF.

So far I'm quite impressed by the professional way UNICEF has used this situation. They have really made sure they get the maximum exposure from this.
Being very careful about having posters and information boards in strategic places, making sure sure the royals were placed in front of these boards, - and held there.
There is "product placing" everywhere.
The information machine is rolling in full gear...

A little curiosum: When they royals had finished strolling through the store, the BRF made sure the press was chased away. Lest we should have pictures of Mary and Kate fixing their hair again. - Ya know, helmets and hair = bad hair day.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think this visit is good and I don't think it's bad that British royals interact with royals in Europe. Just because most of us in the UK want to be out of the EU, doesn't mean we'd throw a paddy when our royals went over to Denmark or any other continental country. Norway isn't in the EU and they have close ties with many countries not just their Scandinavian counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Sort of a non-event, in my book. I would have preferred them to turn up in jeans and flannels and actually pack boxes. This appears to me to be a bona fide waste of (UK) taxpayers' money.
Except none of my tax money has gone towards flying Catherine and William out to Denmark. My 60p goes towards HM and Prince Phillip the only two royal members on the civil list. If some of that my 60p went to this event I'm personally very happy about it.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The visit attracted world wide attention to a cause that is barely part of the global conscienceness so I hardly think the visit was a waste of anyones time or money. As the US UNICEF Rep on site said, she had run out of ideas to make people aware of famine and death but knew that a visit by the Duke and Duchess would bring media attention to a dire cause. As she said, "How many people have to die before the world will pay attention?".
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, Catherine and Mary looks like sisters!
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Ah, comes a hint of cynicism... I don't think any taxpayers paying attention to this visit would be off-put by a pr savvy attempt to bring attention to a truly deplorable situation that has yet to grab the world's consciousness to a significant degree. If this attractive and socially conscious foursome can't do it, then no one can.

I, for one, applaud them.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

If anything can bring worldwide attention to a needy cause, and if it takes the megawatt starpower of two attractive royal couples to do so, then it's a laudable action in my book.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Majesty

The show is over.

Mary and Frederik have left the UNICEF store in order to drive home.
Kate and William followed shortly after, in order to drive to the airport, where they will see a plane being loaded with aid packages, before they fly home themselves.

Let's end with a bit of drama: Billed-Bladet - Kongelig frokost afbrudt af brandalarm på Amalienborg
While all four of them were having lunch, the fire alarm at Amalienborg sounded and the firebrigade came rushing.
It was a false alarm and I doubt they interrupted their lunch.

ADDED: A video from the firealarm: http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/...l-frokost.html
Notice that the guardsmen are up in arms, which is standard procedure, when there is an alarm.
In contrast to the guards around the British palaces, the Danish Royal Lifeguard are issued live ammunition and they perform military guard duty.

ADDED: I don't know what the magazines will write but I doubt there will be much of substance. There was a very brief interview with all foor of them towards the end of the visit but that's about it.
This was mainly a photoseance, with M&F and W&K as models on a background created by UNICEF.
So I think we expect some deliciously silly articles....
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ya know, Ya take it for what it is. All in all it can't hurt and I think was very worthwhile. I get more upset by supplies that get donated and sit and rot because of the corruption on many levels.....but I dygress.... Good job Princesses and Princes, you all look great and lets face it, isn't that what matters here....hehe just kidding!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Nobility

The Telegraph:

Duchess of Cambridge plans to follow in Diana's footsteps with Africa aid visit

"A royal source confirmed that the Prince and Kate Middleton were “considering” a visit to the region to further boost Unicef’s efforts to raise money to help the 13 million people affected by the crisis."
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did Kate make a speech on this visit? I saw on Twitter somewhere that she made a speech or I misunderstood.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Did Kate make a speech on this visit? I saw on Twitter somewhere that she made a speech or I misunderstood.
You mean the Danish visit?
ClarenceHouse Clarence House
The Duchess of Cambridge, at @unicef_uk emergency distribution centre in Copenhagen: "We hope this will put the light back on this crisis"

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
The Duchess of Cambridge has given her first interview since her marriage, joining William and the Danish royals to appeal for famine relief

Interview?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
There is a clip on tumblr in which Kate answers a question for a tv interview? The poster videotaped only part of the segment so I don't know if Will spoke at this time as well. The quality is horrible.
Is it okay to post the tumblr account or link to the tumblr?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I went to both Amalienborg (to stand in the cold with all the nice old ladies and tourists) and the Unicelf Help Supply Center thing (to stand in the cold with what seemed to me like a billion photographers) and although it was very cold, I don't regret going. All 4 of them were so sweet and lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Regrettable all those who stood at Amalienborg were dissapointed, as Frederik and William drove in one car, and who want's to photograph them?
While Mary and Kate drove in a car with toned windows.
It also bummed me out a bit because they came and then they closed the gates and you could hardly see a thing, but then I decided to go to that Unicef place so oh well.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton, Prince William Visit Denmark (PHOTOS)
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

There is worldwide recognition of the charity. UNICEF's total income for 2006 was $2,781,000,000. Trying to imagine what it was last year.

I have nothing against charity, I have nothing against the participants in today's function. Too bad most of the UNICEF goods make it to the Black Market rather than to the children.

Say what you will.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to one and all for the links.

This has been so enjoyable to go through since I put certain people on ignore. I highly reccomend it.