The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
There is one thing we Danes can bragg about in regards to the British: Our reporters are sillier than the British.
Some of the stuff on the TV2-morning show is toe- crumbling

viv

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

How did Kate not look willing to work just cause she didn't wear pants? Idg some people. Mary and Kate did the same amount of work ugh. Also their visit has helped. The media here is actually talking about the cause not comparisons between Mary and Catherine and I know for a fact UNICEF has been saying the boom in interest they've seen in just the past 2 days alone. So IMO this visit has helped. Sure it won't solve the problem completely but it's a start and so to that I say good on them!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Courtier

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
of course Kate's famous hairstyle needed to be rearranged
that is crazy! Like putting on a hard hat needs to be private
Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Majesty

I agree; but in the short-term, people have to be fed. So much time is taken up by people in these countries just to plan grow food and gather water, and that's when there's no war and the weather is good. Until there's no war in Africa and no gangs stealing food when it arrives, we're going to see this happen over and over again. Also, at least one well needs to be dug in every village, to save people time in gathering water and also to prevent water-borne disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I don't think that money is enough. Until you fix the government/weather/social issues etc. then famines will still occur. The problem with charity however is that if you don't create alternative i.e. self-sufficient programs then the cycle of charity continues.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's pretty well known that William in particular is fairly scathing of the press and does not trust them even slightly. I think given the BRF's difficulties with the press over the last say 30 years, including the role that the press played in Diana's death and its aftermath, they're completely right to maintain a certain distance from the press.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Although I still identify Mary's spoken English as evidently Australian (be it with a Nordic lilt), I do notice that when she speaks, she structures her sentences in a way that makes her seems a little (and I do mean a little) unsure about the structure.

Mary is of course fluent in her mother tongue, and should she be exposed to english speaking society on a day to day basis I think we'd see her sentence structure return to what it otherwise would be had have she never moved to Denmark. However speaking Danish every day, and thinking in Danish, means that Mary has to give considerable thought when she speaks both languages and this is reflected when she articulates either language.
This is so fascinating! To see that change in her language skills. I watched the video of her and you would never know that she was a native English speaker...she must've really thrown herself into learning the Danish language! She has an accent when she speaks English and it's certainly not Australian. I never thought that could happen to anyone unless they were a child. So interesting...
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I watched the video of her and you would never know that she was a native English speaker...she must've really thrown herself into learning the Danish language! She has an accent when she speaks English and it's certainly not Australian. I never thought that could happen to anyone unless they were a child. So interesting...
Thank you Zembla! I watched CP Mary speaking on TV yesterday and I could have sworn that I heard a slight Danish accent! I just didn't have the guts to post about it till you guys got started!

viv
Old 11-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Here's most if not all of what the camera's were allowed to capture courtesy of ITNSource
ROYAL / DENMARK: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge help with UN aid effort
Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Yes, it seems to be very hard for Frederik to catch a break.

Unrealistic expectations, yes....There are posters who about two weeks ago wrote, that Frederik needs to improve his public speaking skills, and when he hasn't two weeks later....
Yes, and public speaking isn't everything.
It is one thing that is very exposed and open to judgment, though.

I think that what people are needing most is to see a sincerity in their Royals. To know that Royals are doing their best and that they have a generous core. They like to see Royals busy and working for the good of others. If the only thing lacking is poor public speaking - then that would be over looked. Royals need to actually enjoy being respectable and kind - not just to appear as if they are.
Frederik is not going to change much now. He has some very good skills in meeting people and in other areas. He will 'ramp those up' and do more of what he does well, I figure.
As time goes on he will work out ways to compensate for his public speaking skills. His public speaking is just a little different; I quite like that he speaks from the cuff and that he sounds less rehearsed.

I hope he doesn't loose heart. The UNICEF exposure was a worthwhile thing to do. It was good to have that type of information shown to the public. It now needs to be followed up with quiet, behind the scenes donations of money and work by many who are moved - including Royals.

Mary and Fred presented well as a couple along side William and Kate.
It was too easy to compare but most will recognise it not as a public speaking competition at all but as a joint co-operation for a needy cause.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Courtier

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are on The UNICEF website
East Africa Crisis - UNICEF - unite for children
http://www.appliedlanguage.com/flags...g_of_kenya.gif
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She has an accent when she speaks English and it's certainly not Australian.
There is what many would call a Danish lilt (myself included) when she talks, but I'd have to disagree that her accent is not identifiable as Australian. To my native ear, it is.

The foundation for her english pronounciation is imo undeniably Australian though the syntax is shifting and thus the ways in which she articulates herself in english is now predominately influenced by the structure's of the Danish language and dare I say, her husband who's sentence structures and pauses I've noticed Mary to occasionally adopt herself.

Furthermore, words that have a's, o's and r's are when I notice that Mary's accent shifts to a more nordic pronounciation of the letter.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Aristocracy

Totally agree. I don't understand when people say she doesn't sound Australian
Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
There is what many would call a Danish lilt (myself included) when she talks, but I'd have to disagree that her accent is not identifiable as Australian. To my native ear, it is.

The foundation for her english pronounciation is imo undeniably Australian though the syntax is shifting and thus the ways in which she articulates herself in english is now predominately influenced by the structure's of the Danish language and dare I say, her husband who's sentence structures and pauses I've noticed Mary to occasionally adopt herself.

Furthermore, words that have a's, o's and r's are when I notice that Mary's accent shifts to a more nordic pronounciation of the letter.
I completely agree, it's undeniable that she is Australian in her pronunciation but seven years in Denmark has certainly taken its toll on her English structure! If anything, that's very endearing that she's stepped so much into her role as the Danish Crown Princess that even when she speaks her native language it is more and more nordic...

Mange tak to Muhler for the many translations!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
I completely agree, it's undenieable that she is Australian in her pronunciation but seven years in Denmark has certainly taken its toll on her English structure! If anything, that's very endearing that she's stepped so much into her role as the Danish Crown Princess that even when she speaks her native language is more and more nordic...
I was thinking the same thing, it is very endearing. I didn't know much about the royals in Denmark, but I am really impressed by how seriously she takes her role and learning the language.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
did they really send the media away while adjusting their hard hats"?

Of course.
Answering questions from you is endlessly more meaningful than reading articles from certain reporters!

Yes, it was on the live coverage. The press was litterally herded away by someone from the BRF press department. __________________
I am sorry I just read this article about Kate and her royal lookalike Mary Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online and there was this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/02/article-0-0EA3F20D00000578-321_634x605.jpg

Maybe it would have been better they hadn't allowed the Daily Mail to publish this pic instead of taking care that nobody makes photos of the royals taking their helmets off . And the comments are not very nice either "demented chipmunk" is not so very nice in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I am sorry I just read this article about Kate and her royal lookalike Mary Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online and there was this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/02/article-0-0EA3F20D00000578-321_634x605.jpg

Maybe it would have been better they hadn't allowed the Daily Mail to publish this pic instead of taking care that nobody makes photos of the royals taking their helmets off . And the comments are not very nice either "demented chipmunk" is not so very nice in my opinion.
Thank you for pointing out the article, the comments did give me a chuckle as they are quite clearly just jealous people. The Daily Mail hardly contains hard hitting news.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Courtier

Here's the gallery of UNICEF UK from Flickr.com,

Flickr: UNICEF UK's Photostream
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

Interesting video,I hope the royal support will help to improve the situation of children in Africa!Catherine has such a sophisticated way of talking,I am glad they included her comment in this clip.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the video, ghost_night554. It's wonderful to see that the aid has indeed arrived. I hope that the situation in East Africa will improve, and more help will be given if necessary.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.