Working Visit to Copenhagen by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: November 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it seems to be very hard for Frederik to catch a break.

Unrealistic expectations, yes....There are posters who about two weeks ago wrote, that Frederik needs to improve his public speaking skills, and when he hasn't two weeks later....

Yes, and public speaking isn't everything.
It is one thing that is very exposed and open to judgment, though.

I think that what people are needing most is to see a sincerity in their Royals. To know that Royals are doing their best and that they have a generous core. They like to see Royals busy and working for the good of others. If the only thing lacking is poor public speaking - then that would be over looked. Royals need to actually enjoy being respectable and kind - not just to appear as if they are.
Frederik is not going to change much now. He has some very good skills in meeting people and in other areas. He will 'ramp those up' and do more of what he does well, I figure.
As time goes on he will work out ways to compensate for his public speaking skills. His public speaking is just a little different; I quite like that he speaks from the cuff and that he sounds less rehearsed.

I hope he doesn't loose heart. The UNICEF exposure was a worthwhile thing to do. It was good to have that type of information shown to the public. It now needs to be followed up with quiet, behind the scenes donations of money and work by many who are moved - including Royals.

Mary and Fred presented well as a couple along side William and Kate.
It was too easy to compare but most will recognise it not as a public speaking competition at all but as a joint co-operation for a needy cause.

She has an accent when she speaks English and it's certainly not Australian.
There is what many would call a Danish lilt (myself included) when she talks, but I'd have to disagree that her accent is not identifiable as Australian. To my native ear, it is.

The foundation for her english pronounciation is imo undeniably Australian though the syntax is shifting and thus the ways in which she articulates herself in english is now predominately influenced by the structure's of the Danish language and dare I say, her husband who's sentence structures and pauses I've noticed Mary to occasionally adopt herself.

Furthermore, words that have a's, o's and r's are when I notice that Mary's accent shifts to a more nordic pronounciation of the letter.

Totally agree. I don't understand when people say she doesn't sound Australian

There is what many would call a Danish lilt (myself included) when she talks, but I'd have to disagree that her accent is not identifiable as Australian. To my native ear, it is.

The foundation for her english pronounciation is imo undeniably Australian though the syntax is shifting and thus the ways in which she articulates herself in english is now predominately influenced by the structure's of the Danish language and dare I say, her husband who's sentence structures and pauses I've noticed Mary to occasionally adopt herself.

Furthermore, words that have a's, o's and r's are when I notice that Mary's accent shifts to a more nordic pronounciation of the letter.

:previous: I completely agree, it's undeniable that she is Australian in her pronunciation but seven years in Denmark has certainly taken its toll on her English structure! If anything, that's very endearing that she's stepped so much into her role as the Danish Crown Princess that even when she speaks her native language it is more and more nordic...

Mange tak to Muhler for the many translations! :wave:

Last edited:
:previous: I completely agree, it's undenieable that she is Australian in her pronunciation but seven years in Denmark has certainly taken its toll on her English structure! If anything, that's very endearing that she's stepped so much into her role as the Danish Crown Princess that even when she speaks her native language is more and more nordic...

I was thinking the same thing, it is very endearing. I didn't know much about the royals in Denmark, but I am really impressed by how seriously she takes her role and learning the language.

did they really send the media away while adjusting their hard hats"?

Of course. :)
Answering questions from you is endlessly more meaningful than reading articles from certain reporters!

Yes, it was on the live coverage. The press was litterally herded away by someone from the BRF press department. __________________

I am sorry I just read this article about Kate and her royal lookalike Mary Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online and there was this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/02/article-0-0EA3F20D00000578-321_634x605.jpg
:eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it would have been better they hadn't allowed the Daily Mail to publish this pic instead of taking care that nobody makes photos of the royals taking their helmets off .:whistling: And the comments are not very nice either "demented chipmunk" is not so very nice in my opinion.

I am sorry I just read this article about Kate and her royal lookalike Mary Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online and there was this pic:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/02/article-0-0EA3F20D00000578-321_634x605.jpg
:eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe it would have been better they hadn't allowed the Daily Mail to publish this pic instead of taking care that nobody makes photos of the royals taking their helmets off .:whistling: And the comments are not very nice either "demented chipmunk" is not so very nice in my opinion.

Thank you for pointing out the article, the comments did give me a chuckle as they are quite clearly just jealous people. The Daily Mail hardly contains hard hitting news. :)

Interesting video,I hope the royal support will help to improve the situation of children in Africa!Catherine has such a sophisticated way of talking,I am glad they included her comment in this clip.

Thank you for the video, ghost_night554. It's wonderful to see that the aid has indeed arrived. I hope that the situation in East Africa will improve, and more help will be given if necessary.

Your welcome! It made my morning to see that video and to see that the supplies had indeed arrived. What a great cause! So happy that William, Catherine, Mary and Fred took time out to help spread awareness. Their visit sure helped me learn alot that I would have otherwise not known. After learning so much about the cause I decided to donate and boy my money couldn't have gone to a better and more deserving charity.

Last edited:
Excerpts of article in Billed Bladet #45, 2011.
Et stjernehold er født - A star-team is born.
Written by Marianne Singer, Helle Skram de Friis & Ulrik Ulriksen.

As you may have noticed William and Kate dropped by Copenhagen the other day to visit the UNICEF storage facillity along with Mary and Frederik.
You probably have an idea about what went on by now, so let's go to the impression the royal ladies in particular made on our reporters.

Different styling.
Both Mary and Kate looked fantastic during their visit at UNICEF. However the styling wasn't quite similar. The Danish Crown Princess Mary had during the forenoon been visited by Søren Hedegaard who is her permanent hair and make-up stylist, (*) and Anja Camilla Alajdi, who advise her in regards to her wardrobe. And the result was nice: Mary's hair was arranged in two soft twirls, gathered in the back with a buckle and she wore light day-makeup primarily focusing on the eyes. Duchess catherine is known for putting on her makeup herself and for selecting clothes for official events herself. And as seen before she had also this time laid a lot of black eyeliner and marked/emphasized her eyebrows. Her hair was loose and natural and it was several times a challenge for the photographers when it covered her face.

On with the favorite brands.
Kate caused a stir during the visit in Denmark with her wool-coat in bright red. It's from one of her favorite brands, L.K. Bennett and it costs 2.400 DKK. (**) The coat is almost already sold out in England.
On the coat was a red poppy, (***) which is used as a symbol (Remembrance Day) to commemorate the fallen soldiers in WWI.
She had exchanged the original coat-belt with one from Vecceli Italy made from crocodile skin, which costs a couple of hundred DKK.
The high chocolate brown suede-skin/untanned (****) skin boots from Stuart Weitzman for around 3.500 DKK were both cool and practical with the slip-not sole.
Mary's elegant dove-blue silk-shirt is from one of her favorite brands, Prada.

Babies and fire-alarm.
Before the visit to the UNICEF world store the CP-couple invited the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to a very private lunch in their own mansion at Amalienborg.
Here the four royals had a cosy time with good food prepared by the chef Jesper Vollmer and as far as Billed Bladet has been told, William and Kate also had the opportunity to see little Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent, during the visit. (*****)
During the visit the firealarm at Amalienborg went off and that caused quite a stir at the square, where a fireengine actually turned up. It was however false alarm.

The BRF information chief, Miguel Head said to BB:
"You can well say that the Duchess and Duke have been inspired by the Danish CP-couple. And by Crown Princess Mary's visit to the Horn of Africa, which they knew about before this visit was arranged.
But first and foremost it was all a bit of a coincidence. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a very personal relationship to Kenya, where they have followed the hunger-disaster develope and (they) have been horrified by the scale of the disaster.
They decided to do something in order to get the world's attention directed towards East Africa. In that context it was quite logic to visit the UNICEF facillities in Copenhagen. It was a logic step for all four royals to meet in order to do something about the hunger-disaster now.
They thought that if they combined forces they could reach out wide and effeciently with their plea for help".

(*) He'll most likely go with her to Australia as well.

(**) 1 $ = 5 DKK.
1 € = 7.6 DKK. (That rate is fixed).

(***) The famous poppies of Flanders. I recently learned on this board that the poppies are now also used to commemorate all fallen in all British conflicts since WWI.

(****) Help! Google Translate is crap. Ruskind doesn't exist. - Nor does skridsikker.

(*****) Christian and Isabella were presumably in school and kindergarten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom