The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1461  
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
It's not any different for the reigning Glucksburgs, but feel free to drink the royal coolaid if you want!
I prefer water but thanks anyway...

I simply don't see this 'event' as a sign of justifying the Danish monarchy's worth. That is a function which is carried out at the many engagements the royal representatives attend or host, both in Denmark and abroad.

I do however see it as another example of remaining accessible and constant with the public interest that is shown, and on a more personal level viewing them as a family, not just an institution which I have noted on my travels to this small, but beautiful Kingdom.
__________________

__________________
  #1462  
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.
You may have a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Mary and Fred seem decent enough people, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I can't seem to warm up to them, and believe me, I've tried. Aurora feels the same. Why is that seen by so many here on the thread as so wrong, I just don't grok that.
I can't say I've warmed to Mary but I'm intrigued by her public persona. Its not a warm and down to earth persona; its very regal and a bit standoffish. I actually like that in a royal and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I was however immensely disappointed in Christian's funny jester hat last Easter and his totally undignified birthday picture with icing all over his face. I have a pet peeve when parents pose their child as an object of fun. The kids end up being terribly embarassed about it later. Plus that wasn't what I expect to see when I see royalty.

So what I'm saying is that we all have our expectations of what royals should be like. If I wanted a warm, friendly approachable princess, I'm sure Mary would disappoint me one hundredfold, but there's no need to warm up to her and since I don't expect that, she doesn't disappoint me at all.

Hey except, when she lets Christian get his birthday picture taken with icing smeared all over his face.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1463  
Old 04-08-2007, 04:19 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.
quote]
maybe, maybe not. But look, i am sure when Grace Kelly became princess (im not saying mary is anything like her) she was the subject of fascination by the American people as it was Americas first American to marry into a royal family. Im sure if there was messageboards around during her time, Americans would defend and look out for Grace too.
__________________
  #1464  
Old 04-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
..totally undignified birthday picture with icing all over his face. I have a pet peeve when parents pose their child as an object of fun. The kids end up being terribly embarassed about it later. Plus that wasn't what I expect to see when I see royalty.
Oh really, ysbel..it was cute I can't understand how you could view it in the light you do but fair enough.

He wasn't an object of fun..nothing of the sort imo. It was the photo of a little boy celebrating his first brithday doing what many children would do.

I can't see Christian being terribly affected by the photograph in years to come.
__________________
  #1465  
Old 04-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Oh really, ysbel..it was cute I can't understand how you could view it in the light you do but fair enough.

He wasn't an object of fun..nothing of the sort imo. It was the photo of a little boy celebrating his first brithday doing what many children would do.

I can't see Christian being terribly affected by the photograph in years to come.
As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I thought Christian's pic was cute - and it wasn't as if Mary and Fred smeared chocolate over Christian's mouth, Christian did it himself! It was a normal kid doing his thing, and the pic released showed a normal kid enjoying his birthday cake (yum yum... wish I could have one right now).

Now releasing pics of Christian in a sailor outfit (like a lot of royal kids used to wear in the 1800's) would look unnatural to me. I like Christian better in bunny jumpsuits, eating watermelon and having fun on his birthday!! But that's just me
__________________
  #1466  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
The way i see it, Christian is going to be spending his entire adult life being formal and dressing formal. Let him enjoy himself now while he is young and when protocol isnt important to him at this stage.
__________________
  #1467  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Must admit that I am also all for an informal dress-code for small children - royal or not. I thought last year's Easter outfit was just cute - most Danes thought so I think.
Also, this forum is the only place where I have seen anyone object to the birthday pics of Christian with birthday cake on his face. That type of pictures is just über cute - royal or not. And it is definitely not disrespectful to the child IMO.
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
  #1468  
Old 04-08-2007, 11:09 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
You all bring up a point about Grace Kelly. I didn't think of her because her entrance into European titled society came a bit before I was born so I can't say I have firsthand knowledge of the Americans reaction then.

I think the different reactions that people have show the different expectations that people have of what royals should be. Its natural that different expectations are going to cause some of us to dislike some royals that other members are passionate about and its impossible for one royal to please all of us. And some members who are not Danish or Australian are going to come to a discussion from a different perspective than an Aussie or Dane. So this background is definitely going to give me a different viewpoint. I don't like Mary or anyone being criticized unfairly and will defend them but Mary is not my 'mate' so I have no trouble criticizing or praising Mary as long as I feel I'm being reasonable.

Personally I don't relate to a public face of a 1000 year old monarchy being captured in a cute and silly and huggable photo of a one year old but I realize that others like that so its just another example of different expectations that create different likes and dislikes.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1469  
Old 04-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Aurora810's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,049
Red face

Alright after a weak moment last evening I'm back. I wanted to add something about the Grace Kelly point. I also was not even a dream in my parent's minds when Grace came into the Monaco RF. But I can speak for now. Years afterwards I don't think America has closely followed the MRF. Yes, I've seen a few things here and there about them on local news. Mostly not so good stuff though(paternity issues with Albert) and on a sports show, yes oddly enough one time on sports show the host wished Caroline a happy birthday last year. However, I still don't think that America has kept really close tabs on Monaco's royals over the years. But that's just what I've noticed. But maybe if Grace was still alive and hadn't died so prematurely maybe more interest would be there. I don't know. But there was no local coverage of Prince Rainier's passing or of Albert taking the throne. Albert did however come to America and do an interview with Larry King on CNN a few months after Rainier passed but I don't believe it generated much buzz at all. Now getting to my point, maybe Australia is still in the honeymoon phase with Fred and Mary and the DRF. But I doubt it I really think that for some reason these 2 countries will forever be bonded, no matter what really happens in this marriage/family. But we'll see what the future holds. However one reason that I think there might be a seemingly stronger bond between Australia and Denmark is because of the fact that Australia is at least used to the concept of royalty. For years they watched the British and then one day woke up to hear that a fellow Aussie was dating a crown prince and boom the bond was formed. It's almost like Aussie's were invited to be friends of this couple watching the romance blossom.

Also Queen Noor is an American and I really never knew of her and her connection to the Jordan RF until I became a member here. Since becoming aware of her I have seen her on Larry King and I was even watching a travel show once that mentioned her. But otherwise in my perception Queen Noor hasn't really captured the attention of Americans. But there could be some other issues as to why she hasn't also.

Maybe getting the Americans attention is hard to get and keep.
__________________
  #1470  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
I think the comparison with Grace Kelly is interesting but somehow a bit in the apples vs oranges here. When Grace married 'into' Monaco, she was on top of the world literally, as a bona fide movie star. Everyone knew who she was already. It would be akin if, say, Nicole Kidman or Jennifer Lopez had landed themselves a European crown prince.

I think Mary is more comparable in more ways than one, to Silvia Sommerlath of Germany. The current queen of Swedes was a cute 'nobody' working at the Munich (I think) olympics when she caught the eye of the young Swedish king. The two quickly became an item.

Mary also met her husband within the Olympic realm, she was also a 'private citizen' with no royal ties whatsoever to speak of, and she was also a presentable, sophisticated brunette with an air of decency about her.

Back to Silvia for a sec, does anyone know if the Germans were particular Silvia-minded in the first early years of her marriage to Carl Gustaf? Did they have and display the equivalent of 'mateship' vis a vis Silvia? I get the impression they <are> very fond of her, but unlike what seems to be the case re. Mary, the Germans re. Silvia seemed to feel and display less, well, pride, of Silvia's origins?
__________________
  #1471  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I prefer water but thanks anyway...

I simply don't see this 'event' as a sign of justifying the Danish monarchy's worth. That is a function which is carried out at the many engagements the royal representatives attend or host, both in Denmark and abroad.

I do however see it as another example of remaining accessible and constant with the public interest that is shown, and on a more personal level viewing them as a family, not just an institution which I have noted on my travels to this small, but beautiful Kingdom.
..An excercise in public relations, in other words. Nothing wrong with that indeed.
But I do see, I think, your larger point which I think is, this is a family that goes way way back with its people, so there is a relationship between royal family and public where the royals are seen as family, by the public. I think this is what you mean, correct?
__________________
  #1472  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 PM
soCal girl's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Irvine, United States
Posts: 1,683
Personally I think there's more of a "fight" over Mary because she debuted into European royalty around the same time as other Crown Princesses did. In a relatively short amount of time (as in a couple years) the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Spain, and Denmark all got new princesses. Now with intense media coverage and gossip magazines, there are more compliments, criticisms, etc. So naturally people start taking sides and defending their favorite to some extremes that aren't necessary.
__________________
사랑
  #1473  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
You may have a point.



I can't say I've warmed to Mary but I'm intrigued by her public persona. Its not a warm and down to earth persona; its very regal and a bit standoffish. I actually like that in a royal and it doesn't bother me one bit.
Agree she's definitely the regal kind. I'm not even sure I venture more to the so-called "warm and down to earth" royal types either though. Maxima's gregariousness for example, I have to say I sometimes am a bit sceptical of it because to me sometimes it comes across as faked. If I had to pick one approach, I'd also pick regalness I think.
What I like about Maxima is that she really seems to be going out of her way to put her personal touch to the things she does--that and in recent years, for whatever reason she's stepped up to the plate and started to do some work.
Mary seems a concientious person who tries, but for some reason I get the impression that if not her babies (totally understandable), Fred is somehow slowing down her pace! What I'm saying is: Mary seems like the workerbee type, someone who's the opposite of a couch potato. Fred, I don't know. He seems to be taking it a bit easy. i think once her two kids will be fair and square in school, we will likely see a lot more of her, in various capacities.
__________________
  #1474  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Aurora810's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,049
Really you think Fred slows down Mary's pace? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, Princess Olga.

I think that in recent months I would even go so far as to say for most of their marriage. Mary has been working a lot and not always alongside Fred. She does a lot on her own. And I'll admit I have at times been upset with Fred and considered him lazy but then a few weeks ago I thought about things differently. Denmark knows Fred. They've watched him grow up and they've even had plenty of years to watch him as an adult crown prince without a wife. Now however, he has a wife and they need Mary to get to know Denmark as well as Denmark needs to get to know her. So I have been thinking in recent months and when she does things alone and without Fred it is an intentional thing to help showcase Mary to the Danish people. So since I thought of that aspect I have lightened up on Fred not working so much. However, in the months and year or so ahead I think we may see her step back just a little but I'm not sure. I think she is a workerbee and can balance the kids, being a wife, and being a Princess of Denmark.
__________________
  #1475  
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
But I do see, I think, your larger point which I think is, this is a family that goes way way back with its people, so there is a relationship between royal family and public where the royals are seen as family, by the public. I think this is what you mean, correct?
Precisely!
__________________
  #1476  
Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Alright after a weak moment last evening I'm back. I wanted to add something about the Grace Kelly point. I also was not even a dream in my parent's minds when Grace came into the Monaco RF. But I can speak for now. Years afterwards I don't think America has closely followed the MRF.
You bring up a good point. American magazines followed the Grimaldis quite extensively in the Seventies when Caroline was blossoming into a beautiful young woman and Grace was still young and attractive enough to grace the covers of McCalls, Lady's Home Journal, etc.

But Grace made it clear she was not raising her children as Americans, she was raising them as Europeans, or as she called it, she raised them to be citizens of the world. Albert went to the university in New England but overall the family is much more continental than American.

I don't have a feeling one way or another on whether Mary intends to raise her children as Danes, as Australians, or (as Grace put it) citizens of the world.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1477  
Old 04-09-2007, 01:51 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Also Queen Noor is an American and I really never knew of her and her connection to the Jordan RF until I became a member here. Since becoming aware of her I have seen her on Larry King and I was even watching a travel show once that mentioned her. But otherwise in my perception Queen Noor hasn't really captured the attention of Americans. But there could be some other issues as to why she hasn't also.

Maybe getting the Americans attention is hard to get and keep.
I definitely remember hearing a lot about Queen Noor when her husband was alive. If one had any interest in the situation in the Middle East you heard about her a lot. But the Muslim monarchies are much more conservative than the Western monarchies so the glamour wasn't always there.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1478  
Old 04-09-2007, 01:55 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I think the comparison with Grace Kelly is interesting but somehow a bit in the apples vs oranges here. When Grace married 'into' Monaco, she was on top of the world literally, as a bona fide movie star. Everyone knew who she was already. It would be akin if, say, Nicole Kidman or Jennifer Lopez had landed themselves a European crown prince.

I think Mary is more comparable in more ways than one, to Silvia Sommerlath of Germany. The current queen of Swedes was a cute 'nobody' working at the Munich (I think) olympics when she caught the eye of the young Swedish king. The two quickly became an item.

Mary also met her husband within the Olympic realm, she was also a 'private citizen' with no royal ties whatsoever to speak of, and she was also a presentable, sophisticated brunette with an air of decency about her.

Back to Silvia for a sec, does anyone know if the Germans were particular Silvia-minded in the first early years of her marriage to Carl Gustaf? Did they have and display the equivalent of 'mateship' vis a vis Silvia? I get the impression they <are> very fond of her, but unlike what seems to be the case re. Mary, the Germans re. Silvia seemed to feel and display less, well, pride, of Silvia's origins?
Silvia has a dual heritage; she is German and Brazilian. Quite frankly I've seen her identified with the Brazilian side more than the German side. But she did give an interview where she said her heart was Brazilian but her mind was definitely very German. So regardless of whether the Germans see her as their own; she seems to identify herself as a German as well as a Brazilian.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1479  
Old 04-09-2007, 02:04 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Agree she's definitely the regal kind. I'm not even sure I venture more to the so-called "warm and down to earth" royal types either though. Maxima's gregariousness for example, I have to say I sometimes am a bit sceptical of it because to me sometimes it comes across as faked. If I had to pick one approach, I'd also pick regalness I think.
Well I tend to pick royals that I think I would feel comfortable with if I had to stand alone with them in a reception line and Maxima, while oh-so-charming, is so vivacious, she'd have me climbing up the walls if it was just her and me for more than a couple of minutes. She's the perfect girl for Willem-Alexander and the perfect daughter-in-law for Beatrix but I think after a couple of minutes I'd have to get some of my high-energy relatives to entertain her.

Mary being a bit more standoffish would be charming and pleasant but definitely a person who would not cross into your space. My grandmother used to say, "She stays on her side of the fence." That quality trait cannot be overrated.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1480  
Old 04-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Aurora810's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,049
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Mary being a bit more standoffish would be charming and pleasant but definitely a person who would not cross into your space. My grandmother used to say, "She stays on her side of the fence." That quality trait cannot be overrated.
Sorry, forgive my ignorance. But I'm not understanding this phrase. What does it mean exactly? Does it mean she would be good at small talk but that she would be very respectful and not ask too many personal questions. I'm confused, sorry!
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark & Mary Donaldson - May 14, 2004 didem Royal Weddings 632 06-03-2014 07:24 AM
May Newsletter: Frederik and Mary Mandy Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles 21 10-17-2005 04:36 PM
Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004 Lorraine Current Events Archive 506 05-07-2004 12:03 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]