The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
I don't know what 'being all that and a bag of chips' has to do with being down to earth. You are talking about their personailty. Sure there are people who are boring, interesting, intelligent, egotistic, shy, that is their personalities. I am saying that if I met Fred and Mary in a pub, they give the impression they would take the time to stop and say hello.
That's not a fact though.

Personally I fail to see why such a "down to earth" couple felt the need to announce their so-called private vacation weeks in advance. That's not what most normal people do.....

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Please don't apologise, your posts are some of the most sensible and level-headed in this thread!
Thanks Little Star and I also agree with you about them announcing their "private" vacation so far in advance. They could have just simply traveled there and not made any real mention of it at all. They also could have put Christian in daycare and not invited the media like they did. I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810
Thanks Little Star and I also agree with you about them announcing their "private" vacation so far in advance. They could have just simply traveled there and not made any real mention of it at all. They also could have put Christian in daycare and not invited the media like they did. I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all.
The point of the photo op at Christian's daycare was so that the media would leave Christian, and the rest of the daycare centre, alone. Christian isn't the only student there, so the DRF have made a deal with the media so that they would stay away from the daycare centre and not bother the other students/parents in their attempts to get photos of the little prince going to daycare.

Have a Happy Easter everyone!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I understand what the reasons were for the daycare photo-op. But a video and numerous photographers there, it's a little over the top for me. They could have released a few pics of Christian going off to daycare and not made it a production. They could still have the deal with the media to not take pics of Christian while he's at daycare. There's ways of doing it without making it the production it was. And because Christian isn't the only child going there is all the more reason to have a deal and keep the media away and do things in a more low key manner. Only my opinion, of course.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes, I understand what the reasons were for the daycare photo-op. But a video and numerous photographers there, it's a little over the top for me. They could have released a few pics of Christian going off to daycare and not made it a production. They could still have the deal with the media to not take pics of Christian while he's at daycare. There's ways of doing it without making it the production it was. And because Christian isn't the only child going there is all the more reason to have a deal and keep the media away and do things in a more low key manner. Only my opinion, of course.
I respect that you have your opinion, as I have mine, and IMO, I doubt that a few released photos would have satisfied the press hunger and the deal would have gone out the window and the press would have been at the daycare centre the following day as fast as a dog to a bone
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I know RF's need to have photo ops but some things that the Danes do I just don't agree with at all
Well, isn't it just wonderful that you aren't a Dane then...

It wasn't so much a photo 'op' as it was a national point of interest in Denmark's future King starting his first day of pre-school.

And, my logical way of thinking would be that his parents (not least of all his grandmother, The Queen) would rather have a media contingent present, having been authorized access, than a whole bunch paps stalking out the kindergarten.

They came, they saw, they got their pics and now 'everyone' is happy. Well, 'everyone' except for some at TRF...Go figure!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
So tell me, do you think that the picture-ops and videos of Ingrid Alexandra's first day at nursery school were also over the top or is this opinion only reserved for Christian.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
See we are two different people and in my mind "down to earth" is a phrase that you use to describe someone that you know personally. I would never say that about a celeb or royal. I might say hey I heard from people that know Tiger Woods that he is really down to earth I might also say that based on blank Mary seems down to earth. But I would never say that they are definitely down to earth people. My point is that we just don't know for sure. We are judging them by pictures, articles, and short interviews. You can't judge a person accurately by that. This has nothing to do with anything but I often think to myself if I was ever able to meet a few of these royals and get to know them on a personal level I think I might be really shocked. Chances are that the ones I judge to be the most natural, compassionate, and easygoing. The ones I like the most I might not like at all in person. And instead the ones that I was unsure of based on their pics and interviews might actually be the ones I like the most.
You have a valid point, but I think that judging just from appearances (what else do we have?!), at least Fred seems a down to earth kind of person. As far as that applies to anyone in that rarified realm they live in, that is. What I mean is: anyone living in that kind of situation, with all the privileges, prerogatives, with people who act like sycophants constantly surrounding you, staying down to earth is a tough act. And as far as royals go, Fred is doing an ok job it seems. He comes across at least as gregarious, and that's more than one could say for his peers Alexander and Felipe for example.

(his mother is another story; she and her husband seem old-school intimidatingly snobbish to me, sorry)
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
So tell me, do you think that the picture-ops and videos of Ingrid Alexandra's first day at nursery school were also over the top or is this opinion only reserved for Christian.
I haven't seen either photo op, but I don't see what's wrong with doing it this way.

On the other hand, Alexander and Maxima chose to NOT share information, let alone photographs, of Amalia attending her pre-school (she is said to be attending one in her village of Wassenaar, but the DRF is very hush hush about it). Different royal families do things differently, clearly. Actually funny that Juliana, Alexander's grandmother, did allow photographers to capture every single move of her kids. Wonder why Beatrix and her son are not so fond of the idea.

Actually come to think of it, I remember a very lengthy documentary chronicling then princess Alexandra's life celebrating her 40th birth day. Seemed a bit over the top to me, at the time. It showed her on her varous travels abroad as well as at home. But now I'm thinking: maybe the Danish RF takes this path as a way to justify its existence to the Danish tax payer, in whose name the Danish RF rules?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Royal Highness

Royal families around the world all function differently according to the needs of their country. The Danes seem to like seeing their royal family and pictures of their future King starting school is a precious moment. They could have released a few photos but I highly doubt that would have satisfied the Danish press, let alone the Australian press.

Amalia's start at school was not highly publicized and photos were not shared. But the Dutch family is very generous with the press, giving them planned photoshoots every couple months or so. Each royal family has to find their own way to deal with the press.

Felipe and Letizia aren't vacationing in Palma with the rest of the family but they knew that they needed to give the press something. So they took Leonor to a wildlife park for a fun-filled afternoon. Not only did the family have fun and spend time together but they were able to give the press some spring photos before the second Infanta comes along.

The Scandinavian royal families conduct things similarly sometimes. They somewhat share the same press so it makes sense that the deals they make for the young royals are similar.

Anyways, my question is: What is the big deal about the pictures from Christian's first day? I feel like if the pictures were from Belgium or Spain or the Netherlands or any other country there would be a lot less criticism.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Serene Highness

I have gone back and compared both Ingrid's and Christian's first day's of daycare and I stand by my previous remarks there are more pics of Christian's and there was more coverage in my opinion. The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way just one or two steps bigger then others. Maybe that is simply the culture. Maybe Princess Olga is right maybe it's the RF justifying themselves to the Danish people. I don't know what it is. But it's just not for me. That's just my opinion though.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I have gone back and compared both Ingrid's and Christian's first day's of daycare and I stand by my previous remarks there are more pics of Christian's and there was more coverage in my opinion. The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way just one or two steps bigger then others. Maybe that is simply the culture. Maybe Princess Olga is right maybe it's the RF justifying themselves to the Danish people. I don't know what it is. But it's just not for me. That's just my opinion though.
The amount of coverage is not always the royal family's fault. If more photographers came to Christian's school and not Ingrid's school - how is that Fred and Mary's fault? There is more of an international interest with Christian because of the ties to Australia. Yes, it might have been more of an unnecessary media zoo at Christian's first day but I don't think it should reflect badly on Fred or Mary. The press is given information about the photo-op and it's their decision whether or not to show up.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness

There is no big deal I simply used the example of Christian's first day at daycare as an example in a previous post. I just wanted to support what I was saying and help others understand what I was saying.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Besides, it's not as if its a competition on how many pics there are for Christian compared with Ingrid.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Danes have a way of doing things in a much grander way
Yep, they do things properly in Denmark

The Danish monarchy is the oldest in Europe and if there ever was a court that is just in exhibiting a precedent of majesty, then certainly the House of Glücksburg is the one to do so.

Justifying themselves? No, I think it's more likely to be seen as 'them' remaining accessible and constant. Something the Danish royals have managed to maintain for a very very long time is the common ground between sovereign and subject, court and the public and it's been executed with such success.

I think it has been said that there is no point (or any real want) to depose the monarchy in Denmark for Queen Margrethe would surely be elected President. Now that's a Monarchy worth having
Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Aurora, dont take it so seriously. You gave your opinions and others challenged them, which is what is meant to happen in discussion boards. There would be no point in forums if nobody challenged opinions. Its not attacks against you, just the argument.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Aurora, dont take it so seriously. You gave your opinions and others challenged them, which is what is meant to happen in discussion boards. There would be no point in forums if nobody challenged opinions. Its not attacks against you, just the argument.
Fair enough, I actually liked this particular discussin, and it was civilized to boot!

But it has to be said that often on this thread, anyone of the opinion that Fred and Mary aren't the most interesting/best/fillintheblank royals out there, anyone expressing that opinion in this thread, is, on this thread, a brave soul!

Because unfortunately, being of the opinion that Aurora is--and that I happen to share--, namely that Fred and Mary are a wee bit overrated sometimes, that very opinion is valid on its own but is typically immediately dismissed on this thread because of..why? While I understand concepts such as 'mateship' that may partly apply here to Mary's po;pularity, I do wonder whether Mary would be defended on this thread so vigourously if her origins were, say, German.

Mary and Fred seem decent enough people, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I can't seem to warm up to them, and believe me, I've tried. Aurora feels the same. Why is that seen by so many here on the thread as so wrong, I just don't grok that.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Yep, they do things properly in Denmark

The Danish monarchy is the oldest in Europe and if there ever was a court that is just in exhibiting a precedent of majesty, then certainly the House of Glücksburg is the one to do so.

Justifying themselves? No, I think it's more likely to be seen as 'them' remaining accessible and constant. Something the Danish royals have managed to maintain for a very very long time is the common ground between sovereign and subject, court and the public and it's been executed with such success.

I think it has been said that there is no point (or any real want) to depose the monarchy in Denmark for Queen Margrethe would surely be elected President. Now that's a Monarchy worth having
To your last point, that doesn't mean monarchs and their families don't have to justify themselves. You've said it yourself: "remaining accessible and constant", they're doing it because the show must go on. And that's ultimately because, wait for it, someone out there's paying for the whole royal circus. The danish taxpayer surely wants to know where their money goes I'd think, and their royals are merely putting on these sessions because it's part of the show. Not because they're so generous with their time or anything, I'd venture to think!

Basically, <ANyone > with a job has to justify him or herself now and then to whoever is giving them their paycheck. It's not any different for the reigning Glucksburgs, but feel free to drink the royal coolaid if you want! I do agree with you that this particular family does it better than most, hence their longevity, I agree on that one.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Mary and Fred seem decent enough people, but as I said on the first page of this thread, I can't seem to warm up to them, and believe me, I've tried. Aurora feels the same. Why is that seen by so many here on the thread as so wrong, I just don't grok that.
I don't see it as wrong and I apologize if my posts were harsh or attacking in any way. I think your and Aurora's posts are actually quite nice and it's good to hear a differing opinion that's done in a civilized manner. I just find it frustrating and annoying to find other members participate in random Mary bashing that's rather baseless. I also find overzealous Mary fans to be many times inappropriate in other threads that just fuel negative comments about Fred and Mary. My problem with a thread like this is that it tends to go an ugly route even though it was opened with good intentions in hopes of a good discussion.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I don't see it as wrong and I apologize if my posts were harsh or attacking in any way. I think your and Aurora's posts are actually quite nice and it's good to hear a differing opinion that's done in a civilized manner. I just find it frustrating and annoying to find other members participate in random Mary bashing that's rather baseless. I also find overzealous Mary fans to be many times inappropriate in other threads that just fuel negative comments about Fred and Mary. My problem with a thread like this is that it tends to go an ugly route even though it was opened with good intentions in hopes of a good discussion.
Agree, and admittedly I have expressed views on this thread that I now see as unfair re. Mary, i.e. I think I called her a prettyfied girl next door once. Well, of course anyone who'd upgrade from 'citizen' to p rincess, would seek to improve their appearance, why wouldn't Mary?
but this thread has offered me over time plenty of food for thought and I have to say I do understand a number of things much better now. Or, I have more empathy now with Mary than I did before. She is clearly trying, and what I used to see as arrogance, I now see as just trying to meet people's expectations. And that she actually seemingly is not pretentious at all, which is nice.

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary