The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Okay.
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary af Danmark.
http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/db/images/mary_ny_1.jpg

A breathtakingly perfect (!!!) Crown Princess with ice water running in her veins.
Posing against a cold, artificial background.
Pure beauty.
Vogue or Cosmopolitan, Yves Saint Laurent or Gaultier would immediately have requested her for her astonishing looks.

But.......

Compare this with another Princess:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?nob...e=63489920.jpg

Not posing against an artificial background. Just in her real daily surroundings. Showing all her freckles and wrinkles. Her hair with roots. The last picture simply appeals more to me. It shows a human being. It shows warmth and it radiates goodwill.
I'm a fan of both Maxima and Mary so here's my take on this. It's not like Mary has full control of her official portraits. The Royal Court arranges these and by the way Mary has been photographed in her "daily surroundings" a.k.a. the palace. If all of Mary's photos were of her in the daily surroundings I'd bet people would say she's showing off. While I agree that Mary may not have been the smartest in agreeing to do photo shoots and interviews in the beginnning of her marriage she has not done one recently. It looks like she and the Court have learned their mistakes of letting her loose in the media world. What I also don't understand is why people keep bringing that issue up. It's done and it's been well over a year. It's like bringing Letizia's divorce up now. What's the point? It's done and in the past. Another point that people complain about is Mary's fashion obsession. Mary, Mette-Marit, Maxima, Mathilde, and Letizia have all worn expensive designer clothes that have not been designed from their respective countries. Alexandra has been to fashion shows and no one crticizes her. If Maxima, Mathilde, or Letizia went to a fashion show I don't think there would be as much negative comments about it. What's so bad about fashion? It's an essential part of the economy and Denmark is obviously trying hard to promote it with Designer's Nest among other things. Malene Birger, Marianne Dulong, Georg Jensen, and other designers would not even be known if Mary didn't take part in it. Here's to moving on. You can like or dislike Mary (there are times when I don't approve of the things she does) but if it's the fashion and interviews I really don't get it.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I can understand the surprise of some posters who might have the opinion that the lady is só poised, só elegant, só sophisticated, só smartly dressed and só amazingly coiffed that she really is Europe's Über-Princess: suddenly they hear murmurs of posters who (o mother of all shocks !) don't share that opinion.
This couldn't be farther from the truth.I've been following this couple for years, even before they were married. I can tell you that Mary was never instantly taken to like for example the Duchess of Brabant. For as long as she's been around there has always been a group of posters who never cared for. You can even check the very archives of this forum and see that for yourself.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?
HRH Crown Princess Mary looks very matured compared to HRH Crown Prince Frederick as though she is his sister.He looks like a university student and cute whereas she is too matured and adult for him like a stepmother.Both of them don't suit at all.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

All I have to say : She is damned if she does, damned is she dosen't.

Reasons I think make a bad Crown Princess:

Cheating
Affairs
biting people
being a bad mother
being rude
public outbursts

Now, Mary hasn't committed any of these things so to me, she is a good crown Princess. I can't understand why some people go on as if this woman has done the most horrible thing in the whole world. There must be something else to it. And really, who cares if she does or doesn't look natural, who cares if she turns heads or doesn't. Just remember, this is a fellow human being we are talking about, there is a human being the tiara.
And why compare princesses for?

Like the U2 song goes:
One life With each other Sisters,brthers
One life But we're not the same We get to carry each other :)
Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa
This couldn't be farther from the truth.I've been following this couple for years, even before they were married. I can tell you that Mary was never instantly taken to like for example the Duchess of Brabant. For as long as she's been around there has always been a group of posters who never cared for. You can even check the very archives of this forum and see that for yourself.
You are absolutely right Alisa. Itīs not that HenriM. reinvented the wheel.
And these 68 pages are not just containing canticles. One only has to review a view pages of this thread. Time to cool down a bit. That’s old hat.
IMO HenriM. added nothing new to the discussion.

And HenriM. if you think Maxima shines brighter in all her glory when you are sharply criticizing other princesses you might be wrong as well. But of course you are entitled to try it.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
And HenriM. if you think Maxima shines brighter in all her glory when you are sharply criticizing other princesses you might be wrong as well. But of course you are entitled to try it.
Not at all. Princesss Máxima could very well use some fashion-lessons by Danmark's Crown Princess who has a very refined style. It is just the person, not her -undoubtedly elegant- looks.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Serene Highness

I didnīt know if i should post here,because i donīt have an opinion of someone i donīt know,i didnīt even hear her voice. I just have an impression and itīs not good, i see her cold,distant, insipid (donīt know if this word is used for a person)nervous and her artificial poses remind me of Victoria Beckham.I know you wonīt like this, esp. the danish, maybe i should follow more the DRF and i would change my mind.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana
I didnīt know if i should post here,because i donīt have an opinion of someone i donīt know,i didnīt even hear her voice. I just have an impression and itīs not good, i see her cold,distant, insipid (donīt know if this word is used for a person)nervous and her artificial poses remind me of Victoria Beckham.I know you wonīt like this, esp. the danish, maybe i should follow more the DRF and i would change my mind.
From what you have stated you do have an opinion, rosana.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Serene Highness

As little as i know of her itīs an impression,if i was invited to speak of her to give an opinion i couldnīt possibly do it.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

How can you make an impression of someone when you don't know anything about the person?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Nobility

[quote=rosana]I didnīt know if i should post here,because i donīt have an opinion of someone i donīt know,i didnīt even hear her voice. I just have an impression and itīs not good, i see her cold,distant, insipid (donīt know if this word is used for a person)nervous and her artificial poses remind me of Victoria Beckham. quote]

Well for someone who doesn't have an opinion of someone else- you certainly don't mince words - inspid and cold-ouch
Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As little as i know of her itīs an impression,if i was invited to speak of her to give an opinion i couldnīt possibly do it.
Oh, I now understand what you were infact saying I initially thought you to contradict yourself and I appreciate your response.

I think its possible that if you spend time sifting through threads or even if you would like to listen to HRH talk (I can locate media pieces for you if you would like) that you may, in time come to see Mary is actually very genuine of heart and meaning. Not all agree of course, but I really believe in what I write and wouldn't post it if I thought otherwise.

Its of course up to you and by no means am I trying to "convert" you to the supposed "Hallelujah chorus" of Mary supporters but as you said you know very little of Mary so would perhaps be interested in learning more.

I'll leave it with you.

A nice day to you
Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
How can you make an impression of someone when you don't know anything about the person?
How can you give so many opinions if you donīt know her, it takes a lor of time to know a person
Old 10-23-2006, 05:44 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you Madame Royale,iīm trying to know all the C Princesses a little better through the forum,in the case of Mary she inspires me nothig, it doesnīt happens with the other ones, maybe this is a matter of charisma or something else but the lady doesnt have it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you Madame Royale,iīm trying to know all the C Princesses a little better through the forum,in the case of Mary she inspires me nothig, it doesnīt happens with the other ones, maybe this is a matter of charisma or something else but the lady doesnt have it.
Fair enough, rosana.

Perhaps your perception of Crown Princess Mary will change with time, then again it may not. Only you can can decide that but we must always keep an open mind.

As it is, my offer stands and if you choose not to accept it then that's quite ok
Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
How can you give so many opinions if you donīt know her, it takes a lor of time to know a person
Hi rosana, i meant that if you have done no research on the person, then how can you make impressions? I'm not talking about knowing them personally or anything. Hope you have fun learning about the Crown princesses, rosana
Old 10-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
by the way, madame royale, it's a pleasure to discuss something we differ on with people like you. i think the position you are taking is the right one. some others get over excited, in my opinion.
Thank you, Carlota.

I am glade you recognise my posts for what they represent
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Okay.
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary af Danmark.
http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/db/images/mary_ny_1.jpg

A breathtakingly perfect (!!!) Crown Princess with ice water running in her veins.
Posing against a cold, artificial background.
Compare this with another Princess:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?nob...e=63489920.jpg

Not posing against an artificial background. Just in her real daily surroundings. Showing all her freckles and wrinkles. Her hair with roots. The last picture simply appeals more to me. It shows a human being. It shows warmth and it radiates goodwill.
I happen to agree and dont like that overly airbrushed picture and strange pout, but it seems the Head of the House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg does not mind a little airbrushing herself, I like Margrethe and if she wanna smoke 60 siggarets a day that is her business as I dont have to smell them, but really her teeth has not been this white since she was 25 and where are all the wrinkles gone http://i.c.dk/pics/2/7/9/33972/org.jpg Is she also part of the Bechamization of the monarchy because her picture is airbrushed?

All those pictures are taken by a photographer (Steen Evald) who mainly works in fashion, so I guess it is in his blood to airbrush pictures, compare the stiff official pictures taken of F and M by him after the birth of christian to the lively and familiar pictures with big natural smiles taken by another photographer, Steen Brogaard for Christians birthday (and also often of Joachims family), it also has alot to do with the photographer. The first set makes me go "ugh" and the second set "cute" and its the same people in the pictures.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Royal Highness

Exactly Larzen.

You have understood me.

The second set with 'normal pictures' like Prince Christian covered with chocolate or his parents in a 'natural' interaction together are so much more prettier than the photoshopped pictures of Steen Evald. Prince Christian's eyes are magic. He will break many girl's hearts!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Exactly Larzen.

You have understood me.

The second set with 'normal pictures' like Prince Christian covered with chocolate or his parents in a 'natural' interaction together are so much more prettier than the photoshopped pictures of Steen Evald. Prince Christian's eyes are magic. He will break many girl's hearts!
Yes I agree isn't the difference amazing! Mary also comes across as totally completely human without losing her seemingly inbred regalness. I say Steen Evald should be fired, or rather, not hired for royal photoshoots from now on.
I also noticed Christian's eyes. They seem to have an old-soul quality about them, can't quite put my finger on it. If prince henrik hadn't been among us any longer, we'd probably all say the little kid is an carbon copy re-incarnation of the French-born royal spouse!

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary