The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Alexandria, that is very true. In this case, there was reason to call her that nickname, it was undeniable that she was doing alot of work hence the reason for the nickname. In this case, the title was valid because her hard work was plain to see.
I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.
Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.

I'm not saying i think she is an extraordinary hard worker, i dont think she is, i think she is an average hard worker.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Courtier

Work work work, it is pretty difficult to define nowdays who is hard worker or not, as the term can be relative from one country to another. It comes to my mind some comments made by madonna about how hard the americans work and the british dont. Another comment made by lindsay lohan where she said she is the harder worker person she knows, more than some of her parent's friends!! it is even funny to read that.
The thing is that Royals calendar are prepared according to many reasons, there are royals that has 3 or more events a week and other 3 or more events a month. That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office. I know it soudns hypotetical, but im trying here not to make names, as we should not compare them. There is always a reason of why people gives an image or the other and that is valid for those who have the full agenda and those who dont, it is something like casting votes. There are countries that have very serious expectations about their royals or the monarchy will get in serious problem, in other cases, there are countries were royals need to keep a low key functions as people dont want them to be everywhere, just in the most needed cases.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
....im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure..
You can see the joint schedule for the cp couple for August and September 2005 here http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/2000f/Year/2005/Month/8 (sorry, only found it in Danish).
I agree with you Australian - Mary seemed to be everywhere in her last trimester up untill she was ordered to rest.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
....That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office.
So true Ariel - I completely agree. Although there wouldn't be much fun for us royal watchers if they didn't appear from time to time the truth is that the number of appearances does not in essential tell the truth about their workloads - to believe that is just too naive.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
You can see the joint schedule for the cp couple for August and September 2005 here http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/2000f/Year/2005/Month/8 (sorry, only found it in Danish).
I agree with you Australian - Mary seemed to be everywhere in her last trimester up untill she was ordered to rest.
Thanks for posting that link UserDane.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.
I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.
I have always maintained evidence to support my views, which even includes a personal experiecne having met the Crown Princely couple & shall continue to do so in future discussions.

But, you make a very valid point!

"MII"
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alexandria, i did say that i agree with you. But I didn't post it also because i was adhering to the rule that we cannot keep posting their schedules over and over again and instead to refer to the thread 'Danish Royal Calendar'.(That is a rule right?) But point taken.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Negativity is such a wretched thing...
Certainly not putting an unrealistic positive spin on things though, but the plain and simple truth isn't always such.
If you don't have a problem with it, fine but I personally feel that when the Queen is on a foreign trip which she has to cut short to go into hospital,and for something which will require some time for full recovery, Fred should do his job and act as regent, and Mary should do her job as his consort, not be shopping. why an overseas trip for that anyway? there are plenty of shops in copenhagen. I don't care if it's my money she spends or not, but you cannot say that it has been approved by the Danish people. They are not personally asked if they mind their tax dollars that they work so hard for go toward another Prada outfit- that money is allocated by the powers that be, wether the people like it or not. why do you think the criticisms came out about? because people DID have a problem with it, as well they should.
Maybe much sleep wont be lost on what other countries think of them, but I feel as it is their job to REPRESENT Denmark overseas and build relationships with other nations, it is very important how they are perceived in other countries. If they don't work hard to build a posotive image and relationship for Denmark, then they aren't doing their job. And you'll be happy, no mention of 'not her money' nor did I ever mention that they should think all Australians or any other nationality would like them, so where that came from I really don't know.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

When the Queen was recovering from her surgery, Prince Joachim, as previously stated was acting as regent. Is there a problem with him doing that job? Also, as previously stated...Princess Mary and Fred were not in London when the Queen had her surgery..so I am not sure what your point is?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Nobility

My point is that it's Fred job and he is paid very well for it, and Denmark supposedly relies on him for it. There was no reason for him not to be doing it. Mary was in London during the trip to Greece- there was no need for her to be in London, when she should have been supporting her husband as regent(which is the job of the Crown Prince and Princess in the absense of the moarch so he should have done it), or being an on duty Crown Princess, a representative either in Denmark or overseas.Working in Denmark or overseas, not shopping.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
My point is that it's Fred job and he is paid very well for it, and Denmark supposedly relies on him for it. There was no reason for him not to be doing it. Mary was in London during the trip to Greece- there was no need for her to be in London, when she should have been supporting her husband as regent(which is the job of the Crown Prince and Princess in the absense of the moarch so he should have done it), or being an on duty Crown Princess, a representative either in Denmark or overseas.Working in Denmark or overseas, not shopping.
This is all supposition and conjecture as you have no way of knowing why Frederik and Mary went to London. You see pictures of them shopping and you immediately assume the London trip was a big shopping spree when they could just as easily have been taking a break on a private or semi official trip.

As for Joachim being regent while the Queen was in Greece, it is also one of his responsibilities and he gets paid for doing it.

As for Mary getting well paid for her job, that's up to interpretation. Have a look at this post from Larzen. She gets less per engagement than Alexandra and Joachim.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
I wonder if you feel that Mary is chained to her position 24/365 or if she should be allowed a day off sometimes? I mean she is a human being thus has human rights, even though she is a HRH. Maybe she applied for two days off her work like any employee is entitled to (not to speak of the weekends)? What do we know of her "working contract" anyway? How much option money or what bonus did she earn through giving birth to the heir? :)

Why not fly to London for a bit of shopping? I does that occassionally myself and it is fun even though we do have nice shops in Munich as well. Is that okay with you if I do it? If so, why does that bother you so much when it comes to Princess Mary?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Courtier

I read on another board that the ex-King of Greece had an official function of some sort and it could have been the reason why Mary and Fred were in London. The fact that she was spotted outside a departmental store does not indicate that Mary spends lots of time shopping or that she should have been at home supporting Fred.

Just my humble opinion.

Stellad
Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness

Also, there is another reason for someone in Mary's position to go shopping in London: she needs presentable clothes to do her job. We know that for example Maxima also tends to shop in London sometimes for her official clothes. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

I also want to say thanks to you all I learned a lot about Mary and have made a 360 degree turn on her. The only thing with that development is that I now tend to look at her and think: What in the world is this poised, presentable, lady doing with someone like Fred?!? topic for another thread, I guess.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Also, there is another reason for someone in Mary's position to go shopping in London: she needs presentable clothes to do her job. We know that for example Maxima also tends to shop in London sometimes for her official clothes. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

I also want to say thanks to you all I learned a lot about Mary and have made a 360 degree turn on her. The only thing with that development is that I now tend to look at her and think: What in the world is this poised, presentable, lady doing with someone like Fred?!? topic for another thread, I guess.
Well after thinking about and looking at the thread title this thread seems to be mostly about Mary so feel free to share your opinion of Fred with us.

P.S. Does anyone else think that after 53 pages it's about time we started part 2
Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Perhaps CP Mary was in London shopping to buy her husband a 'thank you for being my husband' gift? or her son a small fluffy souvenir? or her sister a birthday present? or their best friends a house warming gift? or her father a tie that he had seen and really wanted?
Why are people assuming that she was there to spend money on clothes or shoes or what ever else it is that she spends all their money on.
Just a thought???
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lise

P.S. Does anyone else think that after 53 pages it's about time we started part 2

Well - I think that after 53 pages it's about time to end this completely insignificant and ridiculous discussion about Crown Princess Mary's mind and behaviour - a thing none of us will ever be able to answer justly anyway... Unless some of us know her in person I think it suits this forum far better to be less judging...
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

How long this thread will be kept open - or if a new one will be started - is up to the discretion of the Danish moderators: Mandy, Warren, or myself, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic. If you have any opinion to contribute on how long a thread should stay open, I suggest you do so in a PM to one of the moderators.

Norwegianne
Danish Forum Moderator

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary