The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1041  
Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Alexandria, that is very true. In this case, there was reason to call her that nickname, it was undeniable that she was doing alot of work hence the reason for the nickname. In this case, the title was valid because her hard work was plain to see.
I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.
__________________

__________________
  #1042  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.
Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.

I'm not saying i think she is an extraordinary hard worker, i dont think she is, i think she is an average hard worker.
__________________

__________________
  #1043  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Ariel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 555
Work work work, it is pretty difficult to define nowdays who is hard worker or not, as the term can be relative from one country to another. It comes to my mind some comments made by madonna about how hard the americans work and the british dont. Another comment made by lindsay lohan where she said she is the harder worker person she knows, more than some of her parent's friends!! it is even funny to read that.
The thing is that Royals calendar are prepared according to many reasons, there are royals that has 3 or more events a week and other 3 or more events a month. That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office. I know it soudns hypotetical, but im trying here not to make names, as we should not compare them. There is always a reason of why people gives an image or the other and that is valid for those who have the full agenda and those who dont, it is something like casting votes. There are countries that have very serious expectations about their royals or the monarchy will get in serious problem, in other cases, there are countries were royals need to keep a low key functions as people dont want them to be everywhere, just in the most needed cases.
__________________
  #1044  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
....im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure..
You can see the joint schedule for the cp couple for August and September 2005 here http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/2000f/Year/2005/Month/8 (sorry, only found it in Danish).
I agree with you Australian - Mary seemed to be everywhere in her last trimester up untill she was ordered to rest.
__________________
  #1045  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
....That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office.
So true Ariel - I completely agree. Although there wouldn't be much fun for us royal watchers if they didn't appear from time to time the truth is that the number of appearances does not in essential tell the truth about their workloads - to believe that is just too naive.
__________________
  #1046  
Old 06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
You can see the joint schedule for the cp couple for August and September 2005 here http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/2000f/Year/2005/Month/8 (sorry, only found it in Danish).
I agree with you Australian - Mary seemed to be everywhere in her last trimester up untill she was ordered to rest.
Thanks for posting that link UserDane.
__________________
  #1047  
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.
I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.
__________________
  #1048  
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Margrethe II's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.
I have always maintained evidence to support my views, which even includes a personal experiecne having met the Crown Princely couple & shall continue to do so in future discussions.

But, you make a very valid point!

"MII"
__________________
  #1049  
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Alexandria, i did say that i agree with you. But I didn't post it also because i was adhering to the rule that we cannot keep posting their schedules over and over again and instead to refer to the thread 'Danish Royal Calendar'.(That is a rule right?) But point taken.
__________________
  #1050  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
Aussie Princess's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: n/a, Australia
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Negativity is such a wretched thing...
Certainly not putting an unrealistic positive spin on things though, but the plain and simple truth isn't always such.
If you don't have a problem with it, fine but I personally feel that when the Queen is on a foreign trip which she has to cut short to go into hospital,and for something which will require some time for full recovery, Fred should do his job and act as regent, and Mary should do her job as his consort, not be shopping. why an overseas trip for that anyway? there are plenty of shops in copenhagen. I don't care if it's my money she spends or not, but you cannot say that it has been approved by the Danish people. They are not personally asked if they mind their tax dollars that they work so hard for go toward another Prada outfit- that money is allocated by the powers that be, wether the people like it or not. why do you think the criticisms came out about? because people DID have a problem with it, as well they should.
Maybe much sleep wont be lost on what other countries think of them, but I feel as it is their job to REPRESENT Denmark overseas and build relationships with other nations, it is very important how they are perceived in other countries. If they don't work hard to build a posotive image and relationship for Denmark, then they aren't doing their job. And you'll be happy, no mention of 'not her money' nor did I ever mention that they should think all Australians or any other nationality would like them, so where that came from I really don't know.
__________________
  #1051  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,175
When the Queen was recovering from her surgery, Prince Joachim, as previously stated was acting as regent. Is there a problem with him doing that job? Also, as previously stated...Princess Mary and Fred were not in London when the Queen had her surgery..so I am not sure what your point is?
__________________
  #1052  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Aussie Princess's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: n/a, Australia
Posts: 362
My point is that it's Fred job and he is paid very well for it, and Denmark supposedly relies on him for it. There was no reason for him not to be doing it. Mary was in London during the trip to Greece- there was no need for her to be in London, when she should have been supporting her husband as regent(which is the job of the Crown Prince and Princess in the absense of the moarch so he should have done it), or being an on duty Crown Princess, a representative either in Denmark or overseas.Working in Denmark or overseas, not shopping.
__________________
  #1053  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Mandy's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
My point is that it's Fred job and he is paid very well for it, and Denmark supposedly relies on him for it. There was no reason for him not to be doing it. Mary was in London during the trip to Greece- there was no need for her to be in London, when she should have been supporting her husband as regent(which is the job of the Crown Prince and Princess in the absense of the moarch so he should have done it), or being an on duty Crown Princess, a representative either in Denmark or overseas.Working in Denmark or overseas, not shopping.
This is all supposition and conjecture as you have no way of knowing why Frederik and Mary went to London. You see pictures of them shopping and you immediately assume the London trip was a big shopping spree when they could just as easily have been taking a break on a private or semi official trip.

As for Joachim being regent while the Queen was in Greece, it is also one of his responsibilities and he gets paid for doing it.

As for Mary getting well paid for her job, that's up to interpretation. Have a look at this post from Larzen. She gets less per engagement than Alexandra and Joachim.
  #1054  
Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess
My point is that it's Fred job and he is paid very well for it, and Denmark supposedly relies on him for it. There was no reason for him not to be doing it. Mary was in London during the trip to Greece- there was no need for her to be in London, when she should have been supporting her husband as regent(which is the job of the Crown Prince and Princess in the absense of the moarch so he should have done it), or being an on duty Crown Princess, a representative either in Denmark or overseas.Working in Denmark or overseas, not shopping.
I wonder if you feel that Mary is chained to her position 24/365 or if she should be allowed a day off sometimes? I mean she is a human being thus has human rights, even though she is a HRH. Maybe she applied for two days off her work like any employee is entitled to (not to speak of the weekends)? What do we know of her "working contract" anyway? How much option money or what bonus did she earn through giving birth to the heir? :)

Why not fly to London for a bit of shopping? I does that occassionally myself and it is fun even though we do have nice shops in Munich as well. Is that okay with you if I do it? If so, why does that bother you so much when it comes to Princess Mary?
__________________
  #1055  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
stellad's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , New Zealand
Posts: 672
I read on another board that the ex-King of Greece had an official function of some sort and it could have been the reason why Mary and Fred were in London. The fact that she was spotted outside a departmental store does not indicate that Mary spends lots of time shopping or that she should have been at home supporting Fred.

Just my humble opinion.

Stellad
__________________
  #1056  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Also, there is another reason for someone in Mary's position to go shopping in London: she needs presentable clothes to do her job. We know that for example Maxima also tends to shop in London sometimes for her official clothes. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

I also want to say thanks to you all I learned a lot about Mary and have made a 360 degree turn on her. The only thing with that development is that I now tend to look at her and think: What in the world is this poised, presentable, lady doing with someone like Fred?!? topic for another thread, I guess.
__________________
  #1057  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 AM
lise's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: somewhere in, Australia
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Also, there is another reason for someone in Mary's position to go shopping in London: she needs presentable clothes to do her job. We know that for example Maxima also tends to shop in London sometimes for her official clothes. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

I also want to say thanks to you all I learned a lot about Mary and have made a 360 degree turn on her. The only thing with that development is that I now tend to look at her and think: What in the world is this poised, presentable, lady doing with someone like Fred?!? topic for another thread, I guess.
Well after thinking about and looking at the thread title this thread seems to be mostly about Mary so feel free to share your opinion of Fred with us.

P.S. Does anyone else think that after 53 pages it's about time we started part 2
__________________
  #1058  
Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 AM
crisscross1's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 818
Perhaps CP Mary was in London shopping to buy her husband a 'thank you for being my husband' gift? or her son a small fluffy souvenir? or her sister a birthday present? or their best friends a house warming gift? or her father a tie that he had seen and really wanted?
Why are people assuming that she was there to spend money on clothes or shoes or what ever else it is that she spends all their money on.
Just a thought???
__________________
  #1059  
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise

P.S. Does anyone else think that after 53 pages it's about time we started part 2

Well - I think that after 53 pages it's about time to end this completely insignificant and ridiculous discussion about Crown Princess Mary's mind and behaviour - a thing none of us will ever be able to answer justly anyway... Unless some of us know her in person I think it suits this forum far better to be less judging...
__________________
  #1060  
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
norwegianne's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rogaland, Norway
Posts: 5,995
How long this thread will be kept open - or if a new one will be started - is up to the discretion of the Danish moderators: Mandy, Warren, or myself, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the thread topic. If you have any opinion to contribute on how long a thread should stay open, I suggest you do so in a PM to one of the moderators.


Norwegianne
Danish Forum Moderator

__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark & Mary Donaldson - May 14, 2004 didem Royal Weddings 632 06-03-2014 07:24 AM
May Newsletter: Frederik and Mary Mandy Picture of the Month, Special Features, Blogs & Articles 21 10-17-2005 04:36 PM
Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004 Lorraine Current Events Archive 506 05-07-2004 12:03 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]