What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
princess olga said:
Have to say she doesn't strike me as that different before or after, with one exception: her nose! Did she get a nose job, post-Fred? Her nose is more bulby in her pre-Fred days seemingly. Or, did she just lose some weight and her nose too?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/jules112004/508975745205_0_ALB.jpg
It looks to me like she has a thinner nose just like she has a thinner everything else because of her weight loss. It's that simple. She looks dramatically different in the before and after pictures because she has lost a lot of weight. The thick, muscular body type is gone and has been replaced with a thinner, more feminine frame. Her paler, softer skin is obviously due to a healthier lifestyle and the fact that she doesn't live in Australia anyone. She's not being tanned and sun-damaged for most of the day, which dries out the skin. She looks like her fellow Scandanavians now.

Lady Bluffton said:
I'm in no way involved with this blog, but came across it on another "royal" website.

Obviously, the authors have an extremely opinionated view of CP Mary. Ouch:

http://www.cpmary.blogspot.com/

If you take it with a grain of salt and imagine her (CP Mary's) voice while reading the entries, it's actually spoof-like. And that's what good satire should be.

I expect I will be beat about the head for posting this link! ;)

Yes I've seen this before and I wouldn't call it a good satire. I think it's nothing but Mary bashing. :bang:

princess olga said:
Why is it that especially the Forum's members from Down Under seem to be so, well, easily miffed when the topic of discussion is Mary, a mere mortal who moved from her beloved Tasmania to be with her love, prince Fred of Denmark? I didn't attempt at homour at all, how is saying that little Christian seems to have 'old soul' qualities, how is that humour? I was serious..:ermm:

My take on this is that we Aussies will quite easily defend someone when we think is being unfairly treated. Okay maybe sometimes we're a bit quick to defend Mary but that's just the way we are. :)

lise said:
My take on this is that we Aussies will quite easily defend someone when we think is being unfairly treated. Okay maybe sometimes we're a bit quick to defend Mary but that's just the way we are. :)
I agree with you and I am not Australian but as i have many friends who live there amongst other parts of this world and I do like Mary , I find that thread absolute nonsense and a waste of time...It just demoralises her and her family.

lise said:
Yes I've seen this before and I wouldn't call it a good satire. I think it's nothing but Mary bashing. :bang:
You're right Lise. I used to post at a forum where these same people still move and you have to look hard for a more evil-spirited, mean bunch of people. Makes you really uncomfortable the level these people will stoop to just to hurt another person.

Laviollette said:
It looks to me like she has a thinner nose just like she has a thinner everything else because of her weight loss. It's that simple.
I have never heard of a nose losing or gaining weight:lol:. That photo certainly looks as if a nose job was done. She apparently also had teeth cosmetics done too in Sydney before she left. Things such as these may be shallow but lots of people do it today though am pleased if individuals have the confidence to not do that sort of thing.

juliana said:
She apparently also had teeth cosmetics done too in Sydney before she left.

From what source was this taken? :)

I have never once heard of Mary having her teeth 'tampered' with. This is not a post by which I wish to stir debate, rather I would very much like to see the source of such speculation.

Why is it that especially the Forum's members from Down Under seem to be so, well, easily miffed when the topic of discussion is Mary, a mere mortal who moved from her beloved Tasmania to be with her love, prince Fred of Denmark? I didn't attempt at homour at all, how is saying that little Christian seems to have 'old soul' qualities, how is that humour? I was serious..:ermm:

Why is it that some seem to be on the deffensive more than others?

I must have read your post and noted it with good humour and spirit..Is that such a bad thing? Enjoying a persons post?

If you meant to mention an old world charm, you should have done so. That way I wouldn't have misinterpreted what you meant :flowers: I was afterall referring only to Mary as my post (or so I thought) indicated.

Last edited:
juliana said:
I have never heard of a nose losing or gaining weight:lol:. That photo certainly looks as if a nose job was done. She apparently also had teeth cosmetics done too in Sydney before she left. Things such as these may be shallow but lots of people do it today though am pleased if individuals have the confidence to not do that sort of thing.

Look at pictures of Maria Callas before and after her weight loss.
Weight loss certainly can make a face and a nose look different.

I don't think Mary had plastic surgery.
Her features look the same to me, just more refined.

ricarda said:
Look at pictures of Maria Callas before and after her weight loss.
Weight loss certainly can make a face and a nose look different.

I don't think Mary had plastic surgery.
Her features look the same to me, just more refined.
Excellent post there Ricarda- don't forget as we grow our face changes too and the weight loss would have a huge impact on the diff shaped nose now..:) I don't think her nose was that big to begin with- it also depends on the angle & lighting of the photos and some pics are worse than others..

Larzen said:
All those pictures are taken by a photographer (Steen Evald) who mainly works in fashion, so I guess it is in his blood to airbrush pictures, compare the stiff official pictures taken of F and M by him after the birth of christian to the lively and familiar pictures with big natural smiles taken by another photographer, Steen Brogaard for Christians birthday (and also often of Joachims family), it also has alot to do with the photographer. The first set makes me go "ugh:wacko:" and the second set "cute:wub:" and its the same people in the pictures.

I couldn't agree more. I really hope they will not use Steen Evald to the birth and christening of the new princes or princess!

Anyways, I for one do not understand how you can see Mary as cold and distant. She's other negative things, but cold and distant? From what I've seen, she always takes time to listen to who ever she is talking to, if it's the flowergirl, a relative to a brain-diseased person or just people who've been waiting hours in front of wherever she is going. Same with Frederik. I see them as witty, down-to-earth, interested and listening whenever they are out, alone or together, at a summer cruise or at something else. Many other things they arn't, but should be, but cold and distant ? This is just my opinion and point of view of course.

Last edited:
I agree.

Noelle9982 said:
Well whether you like them or not (which I happen to love them) you have to say this about the Danish royals...

they always carry themselves in a dignified, respectful manner. Like Princejohnny25 said, they even made a divorce look good!
I think the same is You about Them, they make a very nice couple,they look so in love, thats one of the thigs I like about Them, They got married because of love and attraccion and now they have a beutifull Child and another one in the way I admire Them so much. thank You. miaamor:flowers:

lise said:
And how pleased I am that that's the way we are.

In Australia, there's a maxim, that everyone's entitled to a 'fair go'. In some quarters, CP Mary has not been afforded a 'fair go'. And why, I speculate?

In my opinion, it's for the same reason as, bewilderingly, some attack Kate Middleton. Both are commoners and both are loved by Crown Princes. Instead of rejoicing in the democratic impulses of future monarchs and their commitment to being happy to marry or consolidate relationships for old fashioned values like love, these men are castigated for their preferences. Of course, being who they are, it's much easier to attack and belittle the woman whom they prefer above all others.

CP Mary has done extraordinarily well, I think. She appears to be a good wife, a good mother, a good daughter-in-law and a good Danish princess. I think that Denmark has every reason to be pleased with her. Most of us in Australia are delighted with her and for her.

I have rarely read such spiteful and ill-founded comments about any woman in the public eye as I have about CP Mary. I do so hope and pray that Kate Middleton, who seems a most pleasant and well-grounded young woman will not suffer the same, when and if she marries William of Wales.

If your theory is right (and I understand your post correctly) that would mean that all other crownprincesses of Europe should face the same amount of critisims, as they are all commoners (except Sophie of Liechtenstein who was born as a Duchess in - and Princess of Bavaria).

I'm not sure about other Crown Princesses, Marengo, because I'm so far away and don't know a great deal about them. Like many Australians, I know a lot about the House of Windsor and Denmark's Royal Family, only because CP Mary was an Australian.

However, I did read enough in the press to know that the Crown Princess of Spain has been castigated in some circles; that the Crown Princess of The Netherlands suffered because of family connections; and that the Crown Princess of Norway was attacked because of her earlier life. All of these women were commoners, and, to my mind, were no better nor no worse than many aristocratic or royal-born women. Because I don't read Spanish, Dutch and Norwegian, I can only rely on second-hand reports of their difficulties and travails, with which, incidentally, I truly sympathised. This is not the case with Kate Middleton and Crown Princess Mary.

In sum, I think that I'll still stick with my hypothesis: that commoners who become the beloved of Crown Princes have an unduly unfair road to travel. I like them all and wish them every good thing, just as I do Kate Middleton, should she chose to marry William when he decides to wed.

As for CP Mary, I think that she's a winner, and that Denmark is lucky to have her as she obviouly loves their Crown Prince very much and is proving an exemplary mother to their future king.

Well, I can agree with you up to a point. A 'new' royal, who marries into a family has to prove him/herself first. It seems only natural that people are looking at that person and just think, 'wait a minute...who is (s)he and what makes him/her so special that (s)he can represent my country?'. In such a case born royals might have an advantage as they will be known by some of the public and it will be much easier to figure out what (s)he did in his/her life.
But this is all almost hypothetical as none of the most well known royals has married another royal for a long time, so we can not measure the differences.

Polly said:
that the Crown Princess of The Netherlands suffered because of family connections;

This did not imply critics on the person of miss Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti herself. Everybody realized that she was just a 7 to 12 years old girl attending primary school when her father became a government minister during the brutal dicatorship in Argentina. In parts of society it was seen as 'undesirable' that the spouse to the future King and her eventual children would be linked to such a 'wrong' person. But since the beginning of their formal relationship, all polls always showed an overwhelming rate of approval. But the minority was véry noisy and everybody was anxious for riots and problems spoiling 'the big day'.

On itself, Máxima comes from a family which is 'not from the street' as the Dutch saying is. See this post. She was seen as fitting for the Prince of Orange, taking into account that, outside a handful of countries, nobility simply does not exist in the world.

:flowers:

Last edited:
there would have been the same newspaper articles about Maxima and her father if they had been royals who had held a high position in a regime that was regretable from a traditional Dutch point of view.

Polly said:
I'm not sure about other Crown Princesses, Marengo, because I'm so far away and don't know a great deal about them. Like many Australians, I know a lot about the House of Windsor and Denmark's Royal Family, only because CP Mary was an Australian.

However, I did read enough in the press to know that the Crown Princess of Spain has been castigated in some circles; that the Crown Princess of The Netherlands suffered because of family connections; and that the Crown Princess of Norway was attacked because of her earlier life. All of these women were commoners, and, to my mind, were no better nor no worse than many aristocratic or royal-born women. Because I don't read Spanish, Dutch and Norwegian, I can only rely on second-hand reports of their difficulties and travails, with which, incidentally, I truly sympathised. This is not the case with Kate Middleton and Crown Princess Mary.

In sum, I think that I'll still stick with my hypothesis: that commoners who become the beloved of Crown Princes have an unduly unfair road to travel. I like them all and wish them every good thing, just as I do Kate Middleton, should she chose to marry William when he decides to wed.

As for CP Mary, I think that she's a winner, and that Denmark is lucky to have her as she obviouly loves their Crown Prince very much and is proving an exemplary mother to their future king.

susan alicia said:
there would have been the same newspaper articles about Maxima and her father if they had been royals who had held a high position in a regime that was regretable from a traditional Dutch point of view.
I'm not so sure about that. Imagine a Dutch prince falling in love with a Rana-princess of Nepal whose relatives killed each other. I wonder if this would be discussed at all.

well, that would be discussed in length, but it would not be seen as a problem as the princess was not involved with the killing (AFAIK). Tatiana of Liechtenstein would probably meet more objections, considering her fathers undemocratic rule. But this is getting rather OT :)

well they killed each other which might point to mental unstability running in a family, it would be discussed at length

Jo of Palatine said:
I'm not so sure about that. Imagine a Dutch prince falling in love with a Rana-princess of Nepal whose relatives killed each other. I wonder if this would be discussed at all.

what i think.

I ws looking through old threads of mary and fred and saw alot of them doing things togeather going to the same fuctions. Now they don't do that anymore you see more of mary in the spotlight.

Before it was mary and fred ddoing things as a couple i wonder why that is

Well, I think that each ' new' crownprincess started her 'carreer' by doing many official functions together with her husband or in-laws. After a few years, as you can see with each of them, they have developped themselves and are more capable and confident to go alone to various activities. It also takes a while to build up some fields of interest and attention for these princesses where they can focus on.

Absolutely Marengo, and I think that is that same explanation could be used for Willem-Alexander and Maxima's case, who always did their royal duties together, but now do most of them separetly..

lise said:
Okay maybe sometimes we're a bit quick to defend Mary but that's just the way we are. :)

I've noticed that too. It appears that the Australians are Mary fans who just happen to be interested in the Danish Royal Family because Mary is in it; if Mary had married into a different royal family (say Norway or the Netherlands) they'd be interested in that family but again not so much as they'd be interested in Mary herself.

I think its a mentality where people get very attached to an individual royal whereas other royalty followers such as myself have an interest more in the whole institution of the monarchy.

I liked the Danish Royal Family before Alexandra and Mary married into it because I thought the DRF was unique among the royal families. I admired both ladies but just because Alexandra is no longer royal doesn't make me any less interested in the Danish Royal Family.

For you who watch the Danish Royal Family in Australia, would you still follow the family if Frederik and Mary divorced and both of them remarried to other people (lets say for argument's sake that Fred's second wife would not be Australian or from New Zealand and Mary married a fellow commoner Australian and retired from public view)

For me, personally, I was not interested in any royal family at all before Mary came along. I didnt even know Denmark had a royal family. But because it was announced that a fellow Aussie would be marrying into royalty, it made me interested in what it was all about. I guess I just kept checking up on Mary just to see what the latest was, and what exactly her job is as princess. It was more out of curiosity that I became interested.

Since following Mary, I have become aware and familiar with other royal houses through my association with this board and now follow them too. But yes, If Mary had not come along, i would not be interested in royalty. Thank God she did otherwise i would not have been introduced to other royal families.

Also, it appears that Mary has been a victim of unfair comments and judgements etc which comes along with the job, and it is just natural for Mary's fellow countrymen to look out and support her. Its called 'mateship' which i have explained here before. :)

Last edited:
Australian said:
Since following Mary, I have become aware and familiar with other royal houses through my association with this board and now follow them too. But yes, If Mary had not come along, i would not be interested in royalty. Thank God she did otherwise i would not have been introduced to other royal families

Same with me. The only royalty I knew before Mary came on to the scene was the British royals, and that was only via magazines!

Marengo said:
Well, I think that each ' new' crownprincess started her 'carreer' by doing many official functions together with her husband or in-laws. After a few years, as you can see with each of them, they have developped themselves and are more capable and confident to go alone to various activities. It also takes a while to build up some fields of interest and attention for these princesses where they can focus on.

Completely OT, but who are the couple in your avatar?

Emmily said:
Completely OT, but who are the couple in your avatar?

The avatar used by Marengo shows Her Royal Highness Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1938) and her spouse His Royal Highness Claus Georg Wilhelm Otto Friedrich Gerd Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg (1926-2002) posing at Drakensteyn Estate. Here is another picture (in colour).

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The avatar used by Marengo shows Her Royal Highness Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld (1938) and her spouse His Royal Highness Claus Georg Wilhelm Otto Friedrich Gerd Prince of the Netherlands, Jonkheer van Amsberg (1926-2002) posing at Drakensteyn Estate. Here is another picture (in colour).

Queen Beatrix! I had no idea this was a picture of her and her late husband. Thank you for the information, Henri M.

I had heard about the DRF before Mary came along thanks to a grandmother who was an avid royal fan and then I have been buying the 'Hello' magazine for years. So now I read about all the the present Royal Fans and I'm pretty sure that if (and thats a big) if Mary and Fred had to divorce I would still be reading about the DRF.

Stella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom