What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Henri M. said:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

It must be personal. Others praise her all the way up towards cloud nine. But there are always people you like or dislike on first sight. An initial feeling that is. I have that with Mary. For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

Don't get misled by fairytale pictures. We all remember the last fairytale pictures of Alexandra and Joachim in between autumn leaves, with filtered light and oh-la-la l'amour. Not long later they announced their separation.

I disagree with everything mentioned here- i feel just the OPP.:lol:

My honest feelings about Fred and Mary

Fred's looks: I think he is very handsome. He has been my favorite crown prince in terms of looks for a very long time now.
Mary's looks: I think she is pretty, has a very good body, and is obviously photogenic, though I would never say she is one of the great beauties. I agree that she is very GND, but that is what I like about her. GND quality is much more appealing to me than the diva quality.
Intelligence: I imagine both of them are as sharp and intelligent as any other productive people who have university degrees, the most elite military experience/training (frogman corps is just like the US Navy Seals and UDT squads) and (in Mary's case) a good, well-paying professional work experience.
Mary compared to other princesses:
She might be more restrained, less exotic, or whatever than some princesses, but she is what she is. Why would you want her to be a copy of other princesses' qualities: Alexandra's exotic features, Maxima's effervescence; Letizia's pencil-slim figure? Mary has her own qualities and she is who she is, just Mary, not Maxima's this + Letizia's that = Perfect Mary. Just Mary.

UserDane said:
Mathilde, I was just going to post the exact same thing you just said:)
I thought it a strange moment to comment on Frederik's activities since he has got so much coverage this week alone. ...
Thing is, he doesn't get that kind of coverage for example where I live, so perhaps this is one reason why for example I got a different impression re. him over the past years.

So perhaps this--i.e. the lack of media coverage he gets outside of Denmark/Australia-- is one reason I have the impression I have of him: as someone who works, but perhaps not as hard as some would (Mary on the other hand is well covered and I do get the impression therefore that she puts in a fair amount of time and energy into her role)

Maybe the other thing with Fred, and an added reason why I--perhaps unfairly so--got the impression he seems quite lazy except when it comes down to sailing and his family, is because his personality seems laid-back, relaxed. Perhaps I'm confusing this, translating this with lazyness, and perhaps this is not accurate. I for one will need to take a closer look at Fred the coming time, perhaps he is a bit misunderstood by us non-Danes.

All the same, I have a tough time 'figuring him out': UserDane, you mention some things he's involved in, but as Alexandria said, there doesn't seem anything he's really thrown his heart into, and one would think that a thirty-something old guy would by now have figured out where his heart liies (besides things like sailing and hanging out with your fave brunette). He's perhaps a bit of a mystery, a cipher. Or perhaps he's just a simple guy, just trying to do his generalist best that he can.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Thing is, he doesn't get that kind of coverage for example where I live, so perhaps this is one reason why for example I got a different impression re. him over the past years.

Location and language is a major impact on one's perception. For example, I frequently check Hola.com because they have lots of royal news, but I notice that they do not cover any royals more than the Spanish royals. Their coverage of the Spanish royals is almost daily and is very extensive, covering all the members and what they are doing.
Now I am learning Danish so I check all the major Danish sites and they frequently cover the Danish royals. Billed-bladet and BT.dk are constantly coming out with stories on their royals. BT actually has a section for each one. It is interesting to see how the Danish media treats their royal family, even all the "minor royals" and the Berleburg/"Greek" cousins just like the British media does for the Windsors and all their extended relations (i.e. the Kents, Gloucesters etc.). So location is a major factor, but just taking the time to learn the language helps tremendously to widen the perspective. Language is a major barrier (or doorway, if you learn it) to understanding people.

CasiraghiTrio,

I agree with you 100% what you wrote in the post about F&M's looks etc. Also, Sometime ago I read in a bio of Fred that when he is not doing royal duties he lectures part-time at one of Forces. But this is not mentioned in the press often, or one does not see him going to a lecture. The most times you see the Royals are when they are about their royal business or having some fun time which gives one the impression thats all they do.

Princess Olga,
Truth in what you say with reference to Fred being laidback it does give you the impression that he could be a lazy chap.

When you see their calendar though, they are very busy.

Stellad

Their calendar is strange though. It seems like they really overbook one week, and then have nothing in Weeks 2 and 3, then in Week 4 they are super-busy again. The only explanation for why they might want to do business like that is that their private pursuits like the lectures that stellad mentions, or whatever else they do as private people, is reserved for the "empty" weeks.

Jamerican said:
<Remarks deleted by Mandy/Administrator>
It is a good thing that the standards for 21st century royals have changed to the point when all you have to do is smile, and make a few speeches to be considered a good prince or monarch.

I can assure you that, speaking for my own country, it is really not enough for the monarch to smile and to make a few speeches.
In my country he is too embedded into the workings of state to describe his role as you did.

Maybe that it counts for some other countries. Sweden and Belgium comes to mind.

Last edited:
CasiraghiTrio said:
Their calendar is strange though. It seems like they really overbook one week, and then have nothing in Weeks 2 and 3, then in Week 4 they are super-busy again. The only explanation for why they might want to do business like that is that their private pursuits like the lectures that stellad mentions, or whatever else they do as private people, is reserved for the "empty" weeks.
That might not really be something they themselves are able to control. For example, let's say that Fred is Patron of, say, 50 charities. If in one month there are, say, 10 events of said charities he needs to attend and they are for example all in week number two, and in week three none of the charities is organizing anything, Fred will be very busy indeed in week 2 but not in week 3. In week 3, he might be able to catch up on his correspondance, or research a state visit to country x, y or z that's coming up, or..take it easy and hang out with the little Prinsen.

Again I think that this is why it is so difficult for us bystanders to judge whether these people are really putting in their all. Because when there's nothing nominally on the calendar, these royals could be very busy, pro-actively preparing whoknowswhat event/state visit, etc etc. Or not! We have no way of knowing because these people's jobs aren't the typical 9-5 type gigs. They really are a 24/7/365 if these people take their responsibility seriously.

CasiraghiTrio said:

Perhaps that free time is being spent with Prince Christian and family. Truth is, we don't know what is going on other than all the stuff the press gives us.

Honestly, if they have a busy schedule, then it's safe to assume they're bad parents and don't spend a lot of family time. If their schedules are not full, then it's safe to assume they sit around all day and do nothing. This is aimed at no one in particular.

Thanks for the input on my last comment, princess olga and Mathilde. Both of you made good points. I just want to iterate that I was not criticizing them at all. My initial impression from a cursory glance over a few months of their schedule was just a bit of surprise, but this is only because I come from a very different world than the one they inhabit. I come from a world where people work regular jobs and have a set schedule everyday and when they are not in those jobs, they are attending classes at a university, cleaning their homes, cooking meals, or caring for their loved ones. They might have some free time in between all that, early in the morning before the sun comes up or late in the evenings, or on weekends, when they can catch up on exercise or otherwise leisurely pursuits. :lol:

On a serious note, however, this is why I love royalty watching. It is so very interesting to learn about a world that is so very different from one's own.
I close with a quote from.........a very unacademic source, People magazine...:lol: The Royals: Their Lives, Loves, and Secrets. "...a world where celebrating Grandma's birthday means having a parade and inviting the entire country....personal flaws can become matters of state. Even today, failed attempts to produce an heir can end dynasties, a bad marriage can divide a kingdom, and a tragedy such as Diana's 1997 crash can rock the realm...."

The "rock the realm" bit about Diana's crash may be a bit overstating, but otherwise, I think there are some truths there. :flowers:

I'm sorry to say this because many won't agree. But I hardly call being a prince and princess real "work". It isn't a 9 to 5 job, they can't get fired from it and as for Mary being tired? From what? Raising their son, yes ofcourse but remember she doesn' have to clean her house or cook her own meals.
I'm sure the "job" does have difficult aspects to it but the only thing I can think of that is a detriment is lack of privacy.

Christo's Girl said:
I'm sorry to say this because many won't agree. But I hardly call being a prince and princess real "work". It isn't a 9 to 5 job, they can't get fired from it and as for Mary being tired? From what? Raising their son, yes ofcourse but remember she doesn' have to clean her house or cook her own meals.
I'm sure the "job" does have difficult aspects to it but the only thing I can think of that is a detriment is lack of privacy.

It differs from country to country. In many, if not most, monarchies only the Sovereign and the Heir(ess) receive a dotation from the State. Others simply have to work for their living:

Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, Duke of Lugo: managing director / senior advisor of Crédit Suisse First Boston in Madrid
Don Iñaki Urdangarín y Liebaert, Duke of Palma de Mallorca: director of planning and development for Motorpress Ibérica and a founding partner of Noos Consultoría Estratégica
Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau: former firmant of Goldman, Sachs & Co London and now director of TNO Space Technologies in Delft
Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau: director of the Open Society Institute in Brussels
Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands: policy researcher for RAND Europe in Brussels
Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands: former manager Weber, Shandwick & Co. and now an own communications cunsultancy bureau in Brussels
Prince Joachim of Denmark: operates Schackenborg Manor, which is in his possession and is the source of his income

Etc.

It seems only the Belgian royal children (Philippe, Astrid, Laurent) all receive a dotation, but this is really an exception.

Last edited:
Christo's Girl said:

My comments about the "regular job" with set schedule, cooking, cleaning, etc. were in regard to my and my acquaintances' world, not to the royal world. ;)

CasiraghiTrio said:
My comments about the "regular job" with set schedule, cooking, cleaning, etc. were in regard to my and my acquaintances' world, not to the royal world. ;)

Yes, I know what you mean. It seems that regular people have more of a busy schedule in terms of all the things you just mentioned...it's kind of funny, isn't it? ;)

Christo's Girl said:
I agree that a lot of these royals have their cake and eat it, too.
Sometimes, I have to say, I get a bit, well, annoyed when there's a new picture of for example a princess on duty, i.e. visiting a new hospital or whatever, and a ton of members only comments to that are in the vein of: "oohhh, this princess is soooooo beautiful and she works sooooooo hard" when in reality, a lot of them aren't and don't.

At the same time, especially monarchs don't have it that easy: being for example queen of England really IS a 24 hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year kind of thing. Seriously. And sure, she gets a lot of perks. A lot. But all the same, this isn't an easy gig by any standards: Elizabeth easily logs in more hours of work than most of us.

But for a lot of these princes and princesses, you are absolutely right.

These people have an army of stylists, cooks, personal trainers, homes, gardeners, nannies, they use sometimes the government's planes to go to private holidays (this example pertains to the Princes of Orange, NOT to Fred and Mary). They get cars from the government or have a budget for that, and they get in return a very nice social life in which they get to meet practically anyone who matters. Not a bad gig if you can get it indeed.

I think that especially all these 'commoners' marrying into these royal families, practically shows pretty much anyone with average skills can do the job, with a bit of help, of which they get plenty. This is one reason why many people really don't see the point of having a monarchy anymore.

Anyhow this comment really doesn't single out Mary or Fred per se. Of them I will say this: Mary seems to take on more and more work. She ventures out, even on her own to foreign countries. One couldn't exactly accuse her of NOT trying to be meaningful. Plus, to use an old fashioned way of looking at this: she's done wat she is supposed to do: provide a healthy male heir. Adorable little Christian is a sure sign this princess could be doing worse!:flowers:

Fred is still a huge enigma to me in terms of whether he takes it easy or whether that is my very wrong impression of a guy who just come across as laid-back.
Fred is pretty busy according to many members here who know more about this than I do. I certainly don't get the impression that Fred is working that hard, but as I've said before, I don't live in Denmark and don't understand Danish (I am Dutch but let me tell you, that doesn't help me <squat> if I'd want to read a Danish article about Fred or Mary) and have no incentive to learn it really so I may not be in a place to judge this. But I am attempting to follow him a bit closer and this thread is one way of doing that! :)

Last edited:
I would actually also like to add something that occurred to me when I looked at the pictures taken at Christian's first birthday. How Mary must miss her mother, who never got the chance to even meet Fred, not to mention never got to live to see her grandson born. And I must say, behind Mary's very friendly and very dignified front, she must carry this enormous tragedy. I have to say when I saw these pictures, I thought of this and how Mary must miss her mom, especially at moments like this, celebrating her child's first birthday knowing her mother will never get to touch this cute grandchild, let alone see him grow up, my heart went out to her. I must say, Mary carries this loss well.

Christo's Girl said:
It isn't a 9 to 5 job

You're right.

Its a 24 hour, 7 days a week & 365 days a year job. In all reality, the live their lifes work.

It is of course your opinion and I respect it christo's girl :flowers:

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. Prince Willem-Alexander even publicly stated that he hoped that the Máxima he learned to know and became in love with, would always remain the same Máxima (and not let her unique self be buried).

From all the 'Crown Princesses', let me name it that way, I have never felt a 'click' with Mary. She is the fake one, with her stylistes and her strange cover-photographs which are not at all comme-il-faut for royalty. Diana started with this and caused the Beckhamization of the monarchy. Mary should not let the old and ancient House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg going the same path into the present anglosaxon disease of worshipping of celebrities and kissing every pooh-pooh of the likes of Paris Hilton or Madonna's African baby (the poor, poor thing).

It must be personal. Others praise her all the way up towards cloud nine. But there are always people you like or dislike on first sight. An initial feeling that is. I have that with Mary. For no second I believed in that marriage of her. She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.

Don't get misled by fairytale pictures. We all remember the last fairytale pictures of Alexandra and Joachim in between autumn leaves, with filtered light and oh-la-la l'amour. Not long later they announced their separation.
You're right; it must be personal. I for one does not believe that because you can e.g. see the tonsils of a broadly smiling princess that this person is necessarily a more warm or caring person than another person who is naturally less exuberant in public. Fakeness may come in a lot of disguises and none of us know what these public figures are really like; they act, walk, talk and smile differently - and so what?

And what do you mean by saying that you 'do not believe in that marriage of hers'?? It's as valid and real as any other royal marriage entered into the past couple of years.

Don't worry about any royal crisis of the future on Mary's account; of all the present CP couples Frederik and Mary are IMO the ones in the most secure position.

As to fairy-tale pictures I don't understand why the breakup of one marriage in the family should mean that we as lookers-on should be distrustful of the image of other family members.
I understand that prince Bernard of Holland had a couple of daughters on the side; that doesn't mean that every time I look at a picture of his grandson with his two small daughters I think of the adultery which WA is bound to be committing in the years ahead!

Last edited:
Mathilde1286 said:
Yes, I know what you mean. It seems that regular people have more of a busy schedule in terms of all the things you just mentioned...it's kind of funny, isn't it? ;)

Members of royal families have busy lives but thing like the people who live outside palace walls. The lady that is a wife, mother, worker, cook, cleaner, psychlogist and does it all on a fixed monthly budget without designer outfits. Now that is a woman to admire. Royal ladies to me, though real people live a very fantasy life to me. Maybe the fairytale of the royal princess died with Diana?

Henri M. said:
I understand what you're saying but Mary using stylists and dressing up to date can also be explained as her way of doing her best at work. Dressing well when one for example goes to visit a friend is a sign of respect for the friend, rather than a sign one likes to dress up period. Same counts for Mary. The fact she makes an effort to look decent and presentable is probably nothing else than her showing respect for the role she is in and for the people she is visiting. Nothing wrong with that.

And as for stylists, come on now, the other crown princesses also employ heaps of people who help them with wardrobe, hair, etc. That's not something only Mary does, they all do it.

UserDane said:
You're right; it must be personal. I for one does not believe that because you can e.g. see the tonsils of a broadly smiling princess that this person is necessarily a more warm or caring person than another person who is naturally less exuberant in public. Fakeness may come in a lot of disguises and none of us know what these public figures are really like; they act, walk, talk and smile differently - and so what?
I completely agree. I've always thought the tonsils-laugh of Maxima seems fake, but my oh my, the Dutch buy it, hook line and sinker. I do think Maxima is a hard worker, but her warm-seeming personality may well differ from the private person, indeed we simply don't know that. The fact that Mary doesn't show her tonsils when she laughs is one of her qualities, I tell you!

UserDane said:
As to fairy-tale pictures I don't understand why the breakup of one marriage in the family should mean that we as lookers-on should be distrustful of the image of other family members.
I understand that prince Bernard of Holland had a couple of daughters on the side; that doesn't mean that every time I look at a picture of his grandson with his two small daughters I think of the adultery which WA is bound to be committing in the years ahead!
Now, now. ;)
I'd bet WA has less of Bernard's shamelessly womanizing genes than he has his more timid and serious father's Claus's genes, but we will see. It seems clear however that whoever he'd commit adultery with, if he ever did, that woman wouldn't live! And he wouldn't either! Maxima would take care of that, she seems the type who's wearing the pants in that relationship!:lol:

"That is an opinion. There are other opinions as well."

This thread is called: "What is your opinion on Frederik and Mary?"

I might have been wrong with my limited knowledge of the English language, but I thought it was an invitation to other posters to make known what they think about this couple. But I see that I probably have understood the question wrongly: it was an invitation to join the Hallelujah!-chorus concerning the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince.

I have given my opinion on the lady in question. If people get disturbed by such an opinion, think about Prince Willem-Alexander's famous soundbite: "That is an opinion. There are other opinions as well." And if people thought I was insulting by warning the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince not to start the 'Beckhamization' of the old and immensely respected House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, then people do not need to feel offended. They should hit back to me with valid arguments which prove that I was wrong, so wrong, with my opinion.

After all, that is what an opinion-board is for.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
by warning the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince not to start the 'Beckhamization' of the old and immensely respected House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

I hardly believe the Danish Monarchy have anything to be concerned about, but I'm sure the Crown Princess would appreciate the concern you hold for her and the dynasty's interests. When she is Queen (and she will be, and of enormous popularity and affection I'm certain), perhaps then you may have come to think differently of her, then again, perhaps not :flowers:

I also notice how you refer to HRH the Crown Princess as the Crown Prince's spouse. Can you not even bring yourself to use her name? You think so lowly of someone you dont even know, that you can't bring yourself to say their name? I do hope I'm wrong here.

I think its important for all to remember that its not so much what the indavidual makes themselves out to be, rather what the media does to present them in that light. They (royals) have no control over this and the media will always do what they can to manipulate someone's image.

I could not disagree with you more adamantly Henri M, but your opinion it is and you, like the rest of us, are entitled to post it.

P.S. One ticket for the Hallelujah Chorus, please ;)

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
This thread is called: "What is your opinion on Frederik and Mary?"

I might have been wrong with my limited knowledge of the English language, but I thought it was an invitation to other posters to make known what they think about this couple. But I see that I probably have understood the question wrongly: it was an invitation to join the Hallelujah!-chorus concerning the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince.

I have given my opinion on the lady in question. If people get disturbed by such an opinion, think about Prince Willem-Alexander's famous soundbite: "That is an opinion. There are other opinions as well." And if people thought I was insulting by warning the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince not to start the 'Beckhamization' of the old and immensely respected House of Schlesvig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, then people do not need to feel offended. They should hit back to me with valid arguments which prove that I was wrong, so wrong, with my opinion.

After all, that is what an opinion-board is for.

i totally second your opinion, henri.

i also can't see any point in discussing willem and maxima here, and whether he will commit adultery or not. it's likely to happen, since there were lots of stories of royal men commiting adultery. frederik is also one for whom that quality would adjust. i would feel entirely sorry in that case if either maxima or mary were cheated on, just as bad as i felt when the divorce of alexandra and joachim was announced because of similar reasons.

just as queen elizabeth once said, she explained how she didn't ask her husband to be faithful but loyal, which is exactly an example of how royals give preference to their royal duties rather than their personal relations: both maxima and mary, as any other princesses were 'married' to the country when they married their respective princes. that's my opinion and the way i see it.

Madame Royale said:
I also notice how you refer to HRH the Crown Princess as the Crown Prince's spouse.

I did not. I referred to her as the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince.

(Which is perfectly what she is).

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
I did not. I referred to her as the present spouse of Danmark's Crown Prince.

(Which is perfectly what she is).

:flowers:

Well then...

How many spouses do assume Frederik shall have throughout his life?

You are correct, Mary is the Crown Prince's spouse but you did not actually answer my question (or perhaps I should have worded it better) and I would appreciate it if you did. Why no name? :flowers:

Last edited:
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary af Danmark

Madame Royale said:
Why no name? :flowers:

Okay.
Hendes Kongelige Højhed Kronprinsesse Mary af Danmark.
http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/db/images/mary_ny_1.jpg

A breathtakingly perfect (!!!) Crown Princess with ice water running in her veins.
Posing against a cold, artificial background.
Pure beauty.
Vogue or Cosmopolitan, Yves Saint Laurent or Gaultier would immediately have requested her for her astonishing looks.

But.......

Compare this with another Princess:
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/dsc?noblob=true&s=obj&c=getsubobject&versionid=6&dsname=minazkh&objectid=4838&subobjectname=63489920.jpg

Not posing against an artificial background. Just in her real daily surroundings. Showing all her freckles and wrinkles. Her hair with roots. The last picture simply appeals more to me. It shows a human being. It shows warmth and it radiates goodwill.

Last edited:
i would also like to point out something i didn't like of mary in her last event. i read that the coat she was wearing was made of astrakhan (and it does look like astrakhan to me)... it's not a secret how astrakhan coats are made: killing a pregnant sheep mum and minutes after the animal agonising, taking out the fetus and killing it to get that super soft and pure wool. you also need more than 20 fetus to obtain a whole coat of astrakhan.

wool may be an important industry in denmark, but i see no reason for mary wearing one of those coats, when she declared herself 'an animal lover' in many occasions.

there are thousands of organisations fighting against this around the world and royals should be the first ones to support the non-use of furs, specially astrakhan, since it's perhaps the one that requires the most uncivilised and inhuman way of killing the animal (it's incredible to think that in the 21st century, people are warming themselves up by doing the same cavemen did thousands of years ago).

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I hardly believe the Danish Monarchy have anything to be concerned about, but I'm sure the Crown Princess would appreciate the concern you hold for her and the dynasty's interests. When she is Queen (and she will be, and of enormous popularity and affection I'm certain), perhaps then you may have come to think differently of her, then again, perhaps not

No one knows the future, so you can't say for certain that she will be queen. Not to be morose, but it's not in our hands as to whether she outlives her mother-in-law, whether Fred outlives his mother, etc. You can hope that she becomes queen, and you can say that it's unlikely the monarchy will be abolished, but you can't state -- for a fact -- that she will become queen.

carlota said:
i would also like to point out something i didn't like of mary in her last event. i read that the coat she was wearing was made of astrakhan (and it does look like astrakhan to me)... it's not a secret how astrakhan coats are made: killing a pregnant sheep mum and minutes after the animal agonising, taking out the fetus and killing it to get that super soft and pure wool. you also need more than 20 fetus to obtain a whole coat of astrakhan.

wool may be an important industry in denmark, but i see no reason for mary wearing one of those coats, when she declared herself 'an animal lover' in many occasions.

there are thousands of organisations fighting against this around the world and royals should be the first ones to support the non-use of furs, specially astrakhan, since it's perhaps the one that requires the most uncivilised and inhuman way of killing the animal (it's incredible to think that in the 21st century, people are warming themselves up by doing the same cavemen did thousands of years ago).

I agree with you, carlota, but I am easy on royals and celebs who wear furs because I would feel so hypocritical about criticizing them for it when here I am, eating meat and wearing wool myself. I have wanted to give up meat for a long time but somehow always give in, and likewise, I don't wear leather and I am against having leather furniture, but yet I find myself unable to give up wearing wool. I agree it would be best, it is best, and I commend --nay, applaud anyone who makes a stand and gives it all up.
It's very hard, though. Especially in Scandanavia, eastern europe, Russia, and places like that where wool is a very important part of the economy.
It's terrible, but I can't blame Mary when I am guilty myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom