What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thi said:
Why is that eveyone keep saying that Mary married for money? If you married a rich guy, does that automatically make you a gold digger, no. Then why doesnt this theory apply to Mary?

Saying that for Mary is really unfair :sad:

Why Mary married for money, and NOT Letizia, Mette Maritt & Co????\
This is really unfair.

fred is a nice guy, he looks charming, gentle, funny, and very veru in love with Mary. Why Mary would not love him for all these reasons????

juliana said:
It has amused me why there aren't enough Danish spouses for the royal family. All the Danes I know, for the most part, are very nice people. I would have thought that there would have been plenty of suitable men and women, after all, Denmark even has its own aristocracy.
Well, it wasn't like Frederik didn't 'sample' a few of the local attractions :rolleyes:. Mary must have something special that appealed to him.
I personally don't believe that marrying outside the Danish borders was of particular importance to him - more like a coincidence that he followed a 'trend' in the family.

In real life most people marry each other because

a) they have things in common
B)they fall in love with each other
C) they have respected mutual feelings for one another:rolleyes:

leave them alone they seemed very much in love with one another and Im sure Mary will make a great Queen for Denmark as shes an intelligent girl and no wonder Prince Fredrick fell for her!:wub: :flowers:

I think Mary and Frederik love each other very much. I don't care if you're a good actor, you can't keep up a relationship for three years if there's nothing there.

I think I must have missed something somewhere, :huh: why is Fred and Mary's love for each being doubted? Or did we just run out of more interesting things to talk about?:)

crisscross1 said:
I think I must have missed something somewhere, :huh: why is Fred and Mary's love for each being doubted? Or did we just run out of more interesting things to talk about?:)
Probably!!:mrgreen:

soCal girl said:
I think Mary and Frederik love each other very much. I don't care if you're a good actor, you can't keep up a relationship for three years if there's nothing there.
<Edited personal story/Mandy>

Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if they married for love... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Mary married for money... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Mary married for security... or not.
Nobody, except Fred and Mary, knows if Fred and Mary married for companionship... or not.
Etcetera.

Nobody knows. . . except Fred and Mary. But everyone on this forum is free to voice their opinion, which is this forum's raison d'etre.

Last edited by a moderator:
HenrikaB...this is very true...no one knows what happens behind closed doors. At the end of the day...everyone has to live with the decisions that he or she makes.

What is very interesting about people on forums such as this...is everyone has a right to voice their opinion but I don't think sometimes I don't think people "hear" them. If you like Mary because A, B, C then thats great. If you dislike her because A, B, C thats fine too. And if you don't like her cause welll..you just don't...that's fine as well. My only concern is that sometimes...especially with the speed of the internet...people are basing their opinions (good and bad) on erroneous information. And we as a people of the information and instant gratification age, don't make allowances for mistakes in judgement or just plain accidents. Sometimes life isn't black and white...but just a nice shade of grey.

HenrikaB said:
Things aren't always what they seem. Case in point: One of my coworkers was married for nineteen years. Came in to work, very sunny disposition, always happy, had quite an air of self-confidence. Turns out her husband was abusing her all the years they were together and it took her that long to pick herself up off the floor and get out of it.

The only reason I bring up that example is to justify the point: Appearances can be deceiving. Hence, the only people who really know what's going on inside a marriage are the two people involved.
I completely agree. What I'm saying is that if they didn't really love each other, I don't think they could have made a long-distance relationship work for as long as they did. Frederik obviously knows that Mary loves him and Mary knows Frederik loves her. We don't know what's going on because we're not part of it but I seriously doubt a loveless marriage would have produced such a good looking prince :flowers: . Especially for people that are in the public eye, it must be extremely exhausting to pretend to be something that you're not.

Whether they love each other is actually quite inconsequential - will they stay together is the issue. Will duty prevail over personal desires. Only time will tell.

grevinnan said:
Whether they love each other is actually quite inconsequential - will they stay together is the issue. Will duty prevail over personal desires. Only time will tell.

Isn't this true for any royal couple?

As this is a thread about Frederik and Mary my comment was only in regard to them.

Zonk1189 said:
My only concern is that sometimes...especially with the speed of the internet...people are basing their opinions (good and bad) on erroneous information. And we as a people of the information and instant gratification age, don't make allowances for mistakes in judgement or just plain accidents. Sometimes life isn't black and white...but just a nice shade of grey.
I agree, but that is what being human is all about. . . making mistakes; recognizing our mistakes; hopefully learning from our mistakes; and realigning our thoughts/opinions when "hard" evidence proves that our judgement call was incorrect. As imperfect human beings we do/will make mistakes, and we can never expect to be 100% right about everything.

soCal girl said:
What I'm saying is that if they didn't really love each other, I don't think they could have made a long-distance relationship work for as long as they did. Frederik obviously knows that Mary loves him and Mary knows Frederik loves her.
In my previous work as a counselor, I've heard it all. Thus, the best advice I can give is: Never take anything for granted; and never, ever assume anything. Because, to state it succinctly: appearances can be deceiving; and, things aren't always what they seem.

I am not opining either way about Fred and Mary at this point. My only stance on this issue thus far is the following: There are differing viewpoints, and I strongly feel that everyone, regardless of their viewpoint, whether right, wrong, or otherwise, has a right to voice their opinion; and to revise it when they are proved wrong.

Last edited:
My comment about Frederik and Mary being the new Chuck and Di was not meant to be taken negatively. I think that this couple will be under a microscope just as Charles and Diana was. People will always be interested in what they do, where they go, their friends, Mary's clothes etc. And, no, I don't personally think that their marriage will have a tragic ending. I hope that I have cleared up any confusion. Remember, this is just my opinion.

sashajones said:
My comment about Frederik and Mary being the new Chuck and Di was not meant to be taken negatively. I think that this couple will be under a microscope just as Charles and Diana was. People will always be interested in what they do, where they go, their friends, Mary's clothes etc. And, no, I don't personally think that their marriage will have a tragic ending.

I don't think that Frederik and Mary are as much under the microscope as Charles and Diana were. The British monarchy is one of the most well-known in the world (followed closely by the Monaco royals because of Princess Grace and all their assorted scandals). Most random people probably wouldn't even be able to tell you that Denmark has a monarchy, let alone identify who Frederik and Mary are. But show anyone a picture of Charles, Diana and even Camilla and most people could probably identify them.

I think that there will ever only be (unless something major happens) a very small percentage of the world (in Denmark and Australia, and royal watchers) who will follow Frederik and Mary's every move and be interested in where they go, Mary's clothes, their family, etc.

This is not the case of just Frederik and Mary, but of most of the royals. Not too many people know about the Dutch monarchy or could identify Willem and Maxima out of a lineup. Most of the interest for them is concentrated in the Netherlands and Maxima's home country of Argentina. The same would apply to Belgium of Phillippe and Mathilde or in Norway of Haakon and Mette-Marit.

If the point is that Frederik and Mary will become the Charles and Diana equivalent in Denmark and Australia, then I could agree with that. But on an international level, no.

I totally agree with your statement Alexandria, the interest in Diana was a very special thing, very hard to repeat. The next in line can be Caroline as she has being always subject of cover magazines and tabloids, she also had a very famous mother that add lots of glamour to the family. Other monarchies doesnt have that much attention or popularity, after the monaco's one, i would say the most well know is the spanish one and that is very related to their work in latin america, if you add, Spain, portugal and latin america, that makes a whole bunch of people interested in them. But nothing compared to the icon Diana was, which im sure none of the new princesses are interested to be.

Last edited:
I agree with you too, Alexandria and Ariel. Monaco and Jordanian royals also hit the international press and the Spanish royals are known in their ex- colonies but Denmark is hardly heard of because that area is described as Scandinavia to the rest of the world. The Danish couple are not under any microscope- they make the tabloid news in Denmark which is appropriate for them and occasionally the gossipy magazines in Australia. Mary has visited both New York and London and did anybody notice her? Only the photographer who took the pics. That in fact might be a good thing for her because she can get privacy in 99.99% of the places in the world. Mary & Fred are important to a small country of 5.5 million people- smaller than most major cities, and that is all that matters. Why people think she should be the new Di baffles me and certainly, excluding his problematic marriage, Charles is a good role model for Fred- he definitely needs to do more work if he is to be compared to Charles.

juliana said:
Mary has visited both New York and London and did anybody notice her? Only the photographer who took the pics. That in fact might be a good thing for her because she can get privacy in 99.99% of the places in the world.

I think that is why many of the European royals choose to go to the U.S. when they want some privacy. That was certainly one of the reasons Martha Louise and her husband cited for living in New York for a year, so that they could have some privacy and focus on their writing. Elena and her husband Jaime also specifically chose New York for that reason when selecting a place for Jaime to recover from his stroke (added that New York also has excellent hospitals and physiotherapy, but surely they could've found a place in Europe, too).

There is one very famous picture (among thousands I suppose) of Diana in New York where she has just gotten out of a car. Some photographer pulled back and took a picture of the back of Diana's head standing next to the car and the hordes of photographers facing her. There were easily at least 150 photographers and camera people taking Diana's picture. Enough that the entire car was completely surrounded so that there were pictures her from the front, sideways and from the back. To my recollection, that has never happened with any other royal.

Truthfully, I don't know that anyone would want that level of fame and notoriety anyways. It would easily be overwhelming.

Alexandria said:
I think that is why many of the European royals choose to go to the U.S. when they want some privacy. That was certainly one of the reasons Martha Louise and her husband cited for living in New York for a year, so that they could have some privacy and focus on their writing. Elena and her husband Jaime also specifically chose New York for that reason when selecting a place for Jaime to recover from his stroke (added that New York also has excellent hospitals and physiotherapy, but surely they could've found a place in Europe, too).

There is one very famous picture (among thousands I suppose) of Diana in New York where she has just gotten out of a car. Some photographer pulled back and took a picture of the back of Diana's head standing next to the car and the hordes of photographers facing her. There were easily at least 150 photographers and camera people taking Diana's picture. Enough that the entire car was completely surrounded so that there were pictures her from the front, sideways and from the back. To my recollection, that has never happened with any other royal.

Truthfully, I don't know that anyone would want that level of fame and notoriety anyways. It would easily be overwhelming.
I agree. I doubt that Mary has, or ever will have, (likewise most other European royals), the charisma - that personal quality that enables an individual to impress and influence many of his fellows, that Di had. Whether that it a good thing or not I don't know. International publicity is a good thing for the royals' charity promotions and that is not seen in Mary or Fred. But too many photographers I suspect would never happen now after the final disaster. And Mary's only job is to please Danes, not the Australians, because they are the taxpayers who pay for her lifestyle.

I think Mary and the other crownprincesses have charisma enough. If they would have been Princess of Wales instead of crownprincesses of their respective countries they would have been equally popular with the press, as Williams future bride will be.

I also like them. I think Mary is a lovely person (from what I see). Frederik is ok, he seems to care alot for Mary but I don't know much about him. Plus they have a cute son to top it all off!

This thread has been extremely interesting at it shows the power of perceptions. Royalty is all about image and my image of the Danish family, as represented through its Crown Princes, is very low.

The image of Frederick and Mary is more that of a modern, hedonistic couple from the suburbs of Sydney than it is of a mature couple, being groomed for the responsibility of King and Queen of a nation. They do not look like a couple with a strong value or religious system, but more interested in chasing an image and looking more royal than royalty.

Of late, Frederick looks bored and his appearance has aged with the look of excess, rather than fatherhood or marriage. He appears more like a Hugh Grant, or an ageing Hollywood actor who has been to too many parties, indulged excessively in womanising and bar-culture, whose lungs are full of cigarette smoke.

Mary's eyes seem to reveal a cold woman, who has little understanding of the immense heritage and responsibility royalty entails. I was saddened to see images of her laughing at Czarina Dagmar's funeral - showing no signs of reflection or understanding of the great historical heritage this woman's fortunes held, or what it represented for the C20th.

My image of Mary is one of a woman with little understanding, reflective capacity, intellectual depth or kindness, who still mistakes her Crown Princess title with one of a celebrity or a fashionista. Unlike many other CPs, who appear to fulfil their many obigations with intense concentration, humility and charisma for the cause, Mary always appears to be posing for the camera, so as to attract attention and compliments of how beautiful she is.

It is very sad that Prince Jaoquin and Princesss Alexandra (divorce or no divorce) are not in line to take the Throne. Their humility, dedication and responsibility are admirable, and much more suitable for sustaining the image and values of what Monarchy has traditionally represented and should continue to represent, in a world threatened by the spectre of Republics.

They do not look like a couple with a strong value or religious system, but more interested in chasing an image and looking more royal than royalty.

Can I ask what does a couple have to look like that shows they have a strong religious or value system? Should they be wearing religious clothes or holding a rosary all day? Sorry, i'm not trying to be sarcastic but just trying to see where you are coming from here. How have they acted like a couple who dont have strong values or religion?

I was saddened to see images of her laughing at Czarina Dagmar's funeral - showing no signs of reflection or understanding of the great historical heritage this woman's fortunes held, or what it represented for the C20th.

If she was laughing, then obviously someone, or she, felt it necessary to say something humorous. I don't know, i never saw that pic, but she wouldn't laugh by herself and for no reason.

I respect your opinions though, the world would be boring if everyone had the same opinion, and welcome to the board!

Last edited:
Welcome to TRF Franco; always nice to see posters from other royalty boards here as well.....

Franco said:
The image of Frederick and Mary is more that of a modern, hedonistic couple from the suburbs of Sydney...
He appears more like a Hugh Grant, or an ageing Hollywood actor who has been to too many parties, indulged excessively in womanising and bar-culture, whose lungs are full of cigarette smoke.

Mary's eyes seem to reveal a cold woman, who has little understanding of the immense heritage and responsibility royalty entails.
My image of Mary is one of a woman with little understanding, reflective capacity, intellectual depth or kindness,
Goodness me, that's a lot of jaundiced in-depth perception!

Sydney (suburban) hedonism thrown in to boot. At least you didn't make it Western Suburbs hedonism (trailer trash). But why not Eastern Suburbs hedonism? That's where she lived.

I'm surprised no-one else has picked up on Frederik's smoke-filled lungs and evidence of "excessive womanising". Would moderate womanising be more acceptable to you? :)

Its interesting to read others opinions and I am glade we are given the opportunity to express them :flowers:

Of late, Frederick looks bored and his appearance has aged with the look of excess, rather than fatherhood or marriage. He appears more like a Hugh Grant, or an ageing Hollywood actor who has been to too many parties, indulged excessively in womanising and bar-culture, whose lungs are full of cigarette smoke.

Frederik looks quite charming with his slightly greying sides. A man who clearly adores his wife and his son and a gentleman who early struggled with his 'role' I guess you could say and has truly come into his own with the support and love of his wife.

Mary's eyes seem to reveal a cold woman, who has little understanding of the immense heritage and responsibility royalty entails. I was saddened to see images of her laughing at Czarina Dagmar's funeral - showing no signs of reflection or understanding of the great historical heritage this woman's fortunes held, or what it represented for the C20th.

Mary's eyes seem to reveal a lady of warmth and sincerity who enjoys the work she carries out and has taken great measure's to ensure she understands all to well the responsibility of her position, the history of the royal institution and what inevitably lies ahead.

I have always believed that if someone speaks to you, then you kindly reciprocate with a response as Mary clearly did. It is clear from what I have seen thus far, that it was Princess Michael of Kent who initiated what seemed to be an amusing exchange. To not have responded would have certainly been ruder than it was to have enaged conversation in the first place which I dont see to have been in anyway insulting, as it stands. Remember, we see snippets of the occasion and do not know exactly when the exchange took place during the ceremony.

I think it also pertinent to clear up the obvious misunderstanding that the reburial was a funeral as has been suggested. It was not.

It was a reburial and not meant to be an occasion of mourning. They wore black out of respect and this should in no way be misconstrued for something it clearly, was not.

My image of Mary is one of a woman with little understanding, reflective capacity, intellectual depth or kindness, who still mistakes her Crown Princess title with one of a celebrity or a fashionista. Unlike many other CPs, who appear to fulfil their many obigations with intense concentration, humility and charisma for the cause, Mary always appears to be posing for the camera, so as to attract attention and compliments of how beautiful she is.

My image of Mary is of a lady with great understanding, a broad intellectual capacity and sincere kindness who at no time has mistaken her role as Crown Princess for that of a fashion clothes hook. If this is the case then all royal woman are guilty.

As with most Crown Princesses, Mary is continously fulfilling her obligations with unwavering concentration, energetic ability, poise and yes, humility.

There's two ways in which royals can handle the media attention in my opinion.

You can set about your work without providing excess media interaction (which is what Mary clearly does) or you could throw out a few harsh words along with an obscene hand expression for the constant intrusiveness you must endure.

By all accounts, I think May has handled herself extremely well when it comes to the media. Keeping a distance and never engaging them with intent.

It is very sad that Prince Jaoquin and Princesss Alexandra (divorce or no divorce) are not in line to take the Throne. Their humility, dedication and responsibility are admirable, and much more suitable for sustaining the image and values of what Monarchy has traditionally represented and should continue to represent, in a world threatened by the spectre of Republics

Having returned less than 24 hours ago from Europe and having visited Denmark again, I can assure you that the Crown Princely couple are thought of most endearingly and are greatly supported by the Danish people. Prince Joachim & Princess Alexandra are also well and sincerely thought of, but there is no doubt that Denmark has the best Crown Princely couple and believe me when I say, they know this.

They do not look like a couple with a strong value or religious system

Who are you, I or anyone to say what their value system is or is not? You are perfectly unaware and you know this.

As for the validity of their religious dedication, this is not something anyone has a right to question and neither should they.

Last edited:
Franco said:
The image of Frederick and Mary is more that of a modern, hedonistic couple

It is very sad that Prince Jaoquin and Princesss Alexandra (divorce or no divorce) are not in line to take the Throne. Their humility, dedication and responsibility are admirable, and much more suitable for sustaining the image and values of what Monarchy has traditionally represented and should continue to represent, in a world threatened by the spectre of Republics.

I think you are mixing things up here.
It is Joachim who is supposed to be a heavy drinker and smoker and whose lungs are full of cigarette smoke
(which by your definition seems to make him unsuitable as a future king ,
btw Queen Margrethe is a heavy smoker too:lol:).

And it is Joachim and Alexandra who had affairs during their marriage
and provided the royal family with the first divorce since ages (though they handled it very well).
Alexandra's relationship with Martin started in 2003, for example.

Until now Frederik and Mary appear as a loving couple
which takes on more and more duties with dedication and sense of responsibility
and which provided the country with a cute son and heir.

If you like J&A better then like them better
(though I personally can't see why:ROFLMAO: )
but until now there is clearly no evidence for doubting F&M's suitability for the throne.
On the contrary, by the values shown in your post they are the much more suitable couple.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
but there is no doubt that Denmark has the best Crown Princely couple and believe me when I say, they know this.

Excuse me? I am sure the Norwegians, Japanese, Thai, Dutch, Spanish, Liechtensteiners, Belgians and British (and many others) would disagree with this bold statement.

I don't think Madame Royale was referring to the other cp couples
but she was responding to Francos statement (which she quoted)
that J&A, although divorced, would make the better cp couple.

The best couple:
IMO meaning: the majority of Danes is very fond of them and thinks they couldn't be better,
IMO not meaning: the other cp couples are not as good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom