What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
=Lexy
Saying something bad about someone can be good or bad criticism. We have to post good and bad stuff or else the picture would look distorted and lets not forget we are all different and we feel differently about certain indivituals.

I say keep posting your own opinions. After all this is DEMOCRACY! Is it not?

Nice post Lexy. Every comment on the board is total conjecture, whether from those that choose the perfection criteria in Princess Mary, and her spouse Crown Prince Frederik, or those who have another predeliction, and both are valid, since the thread addresses the opinions of posters on that topic; IMO it has nothing to do with hate/love, and if they don't fall into the category which seems to considered 'right', castigation, and epithets fall like an avalanche.
In the face of castigation, I maintain that Princess Mary has a dubious upper crust English accent, she would be more convincing if she had kept her Australian accent, instead of trying to bury it, especially as her efforts so far have produced a rather strangulated speech, shame really, it doesn't do her any favours IMO.

Lexy said:
I agree with your post. I also feel Mary looks and tries to be more royal than royal and it is possibly due to the fact that she has to prove her status somehow. To show people or someone from her past she dislikes "look at me now"!! That is my feeling from her body and facial expression. A picture tells a 1000 words and when I see her I get the feeling she knows how to manipulate the cameras. Her eyes and mouth and her head flicked back on many occasions do not spell modesty!!!!!

I can only say that if were "on display" and knew that dozens of photographers were taking pictures of me, I'd definitely try to look the best I can look and be as royal as can be. Maybe some people would think that this was articficial, but it wouldn't change me as a person: if you apply for a job, you'd be on your best behaviour too. If you were on TV, you'd try hard to look good, and so does Mary.

If people have to know royals or celebrities "personally" before forming any opinions or making any comments, 99.99% of internet message boards or forums or blogs would be shut down.

Another comment about body language: There's a difference between trying to look good and holding the nose in the air - literally - and looking down on everyone you meet. Mary is doing the latter, a lot, and it's very off-putting. Some people interpret it as trying to look haulty, not merely trying to look good on cameras.

BTW, royals' first priority should be carrying out their duties instead of how they look on cameras. They are not Hollywood stars or celebrities. Looking good on camera is a by product. It's not the main focus. The main focus should be the people they meet or the topic under discussion or the organization they go to support instead of the cameras.

Australian said:
Maybe she felt more comfortable bending down? Who can really know?

The issue wasn't about whether she chose to bend down or not. It's about the result of her bending down: Her boos almost fell out and were shown to photographers in full glory details. Since she's fully aware of photographers in front of her and the chair there for her to sit, her choice of bending down had a smack of "showing off" her full breasts - due to preganency - to the cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Frederick and Mary. They seem to maintain the perfect balance between leading a normal life and being royals.

When they go to official acts they look professional but also have this "people just like us" feel. I like that you can see pictures of them with Christian doing everyday stuff, and that Christian looks like just any other baby.

I hope they'll always be able to maintain this balance.

highpriestess said:
The issue wasn't about whether she chose to bend down or not. It's about the result of her bending down: Her boos almost fell out and were shown to photographers in full glory details. Since she's fully aware of photographers in front of her and the chair there for her to sit, her choice of bending down had a smack of "showing off" her full breasts - due to preganency - to the cameras.

How can you know. Did you talk to her? Have you never stood in front of a group and done anything you regretted later? Have you never been nervous and put on the mask of self-confidence, maybe with the result that you appeared to be haughty? Have you never tripped up and fallen or put on a shirt that was too revealing? Has nothing embarassing ever happened to you in public? If you are perfect then let me tell you that the rest of us aren't and that we sometimes put on unsuitable clothes, but definitely not trying to draw attention to our boobs at official functions.

Smilla said:
How can you know. Did you talk to her? Have you never stood in front of a group and done anything you regretted later? Have you never been nervous and put on the mask of self-confidence, maybe with the result that you appeared to be haughty? Have you never tripped up and fallen or put on a shirt that was too revealing? Has nothing embarassing ever happened to you in public? If you are perfect then let me tell you that the rest of us aren't and that we sometimes put on unsuitable clothes, but definitely not trying to draw attention to our boobs at official functions.

I'm not a public figure. What do I have anything to do with Mary showing her boos or nipples? This thread is about Mary, a public figure. Posters here are outside of boundary of discussion. BTW, people don't need to "talk" to someone to get an impression of that person. The circumstance gave the impression that she's showing off. We form impression of people all day long. We don't need to have confirmation from that said person. That's what impression is all about. If an interviewee comes in in a low-cut neckline for a job interview, I'd form an impression of the interviewee without asking her any questions.

highpriestess said:

I'm sure that Mary did not intend to expose herself. I'm sure that it was an innocent exposure (however much exposure of herself that meant) on Mary's part, considering that it was a mix of a lot of things that led to it from the cut of the front of the dress to bending over rather than sitting down. Next time she'll know not to do both of those things -- she'll either sit down before signing the registery or have the front of the dress tightened so that if she wants to just bend over to sign a guest book or talk to someone, nothing will reveal itself.

Chalk it up to a "wardrobe malfunction!" It happens to the best of us, even Janet Jackson and even CP Mary!

And I'm sure that as Mary has lived a private life before dating Frederik, and since there is a core of Danish and Australian media that specifically follows her every move, I'm sure that there is not a moment in which Mary is not aware that there are photographers following her.

highpriestess said:
I'm not a public figure. What do I have anything to do with Mary showing her boos or nipples? This thread is about Mary, a public figure. Posters here are outside of boundary of discussion. BTW, people don't need to "talk" to someone to get an impression of that person. The circumstance gave the impression that she's showing off. We form impression of people all day long. We don't need to have confirmation from that said person. That's what impression is all about. If an interviewee comes in in a low-cut neckline for a job interview, I'd form an impression of the interviewee without asking her any questions.

Since we are all human, we can relate to much another human does. We will form an impression, that is true. But we can then go on and deal with that impression based on our own experience and maybe modify this impression. The interviewee you'd judge unfavourably on account of her low neckline might be looking for a marrigeable boss or just have a misguided sense of styling. You would ask her questions and find out more about her. With Mary, you can't do that. This means one has to be doubly careful if judging someone on the basis of pictures and impressions, never on the basis of actual time spent together or words spoken.

Aussie Princess said:
I guess I could contribute, although it always ends in disaster- I find Mary an incredibly weak character because of how desperate she is for validation- even before she became a Princess, she dated a high flying ad exec whose father was also a company owner and her boyfriend, whom Mary has publicly praised said that what they had in common was they wanted to make more money. She was dating 18 year old Swans footballer at the time she met Frederik, and we all know how glamourised the football world is and the God like status these guys get. there was also an autographed photo of her and Sarah OHare Murdoch ripped to shreds found in her bin. this to me indicates someone who is waaay to impressed by fame money and celebrity, as she was not by any means a young woman in this photo. she also obviously knew it or she wouldn't have ripped the photo to shreds and binned it. she takes a modelling course . Perfect Danish is promised by the royal court and she talks almost her whole engagement interview in English. answering a few basic questions in Danish, and giving a scripted speech at the start, read phonetically. And since she has become a Princess she has continuesd to do fashion shoots, yet she doesn't wear Danish design or talk about Danish fashion- instead, right after becomming a princess, she stalled for a couple of months on doing an interview for an AUSTRALIAN magazine, and once given all the clothes she worse in the shoot as a gift, she suddenly found time to do it. that is another example of a very weak charecter. She then didn't promote Danish fashion, and talked about nothing but herself and her discreet and alturistic nature. Now, as a Princess, she shows up tp her events, poses like crazy and waves non-stop, stopping conversations to talk with people in order to pose. I have never seen any royal always looking so frequently at the camera and not the people they are supposed to be interacting with. She has also botoxed her face completley into oblivion, which is a very bad move, and she always shows off so much in her photos- she never holds her child properly, instead holds him up the way tennis players do with those big plates they receive. She also changes her accent to try and fit in with what she thinks she should be. when the Australian media falsely call her down to earth she can speak like a normal Australian, and when she needs to behave poshly, she puts on this really weird mixed accent. I of course don't know how her accent is meant to sound when she speaks Danish, but as an Australian, I can easily tell that the three different accents I have heard her speak English in are fake. She also has done too many tv specials- royalty should not do that. Before the wedding she even did one of her and Fred going around Australia and put her family in the tv special as well, acting all crazy and speaking in yet another weird accent. her brother even called her on it.I can't even put my finger on what kind of mix she was using there, but no one has 3 accents(and those are only the ones I have picked up on) I'm sure Danes and Brits could pick out at least another one for each language/country. And I don't even have to go into the whole my life is a constant shopping holiday. She spent just 4 weeks out of her 12 month Navison contract working. the rest on holidays and shopping at expensive boutiqes. The job was given to her by Fred best friend.these are another example of weak charecter. Her apartment was also impossible to afford for someone in her situation. so also paid for. I do not like people willing to be supported when there is no need for them to be. She has also got her spending even more out of control since she became a Princess.
Also a massive whitewashing had to take place, and people be sent legal threats in order to erase things that happened and why she actually met Frederik and went for him. I also hate how she shows up to official and state events with her cleavage spilling out. On her walkabouts and day events she doesn't do this, so when something is so official and important, why would you suddenly decide to dress in such an innappropiate way?

Thanks for contributing;)
I've always like Mary, but not lately:( I'm starting to find her fake, having too much free days, going to fashion shows a lot, spending too much money on clothes, a bit arrogant, botoxed...
On Christian's christening day, she was wearing that summer outfit(it was winter:eek: ) just to call the attention IMO

Princess Maxima said:
I've always like Mary, but not lately:( I'm starting to find her fake, having too much free days, going to fashion shows a lot, spending too much money on clothes, a bit arrogant, botoxed...
On Christian's christening day, she was wearing that summer outfit(it was winter:eek: ) just to call the attention IMO

I can understand a little when people are upset when they think Mary spends too much money on clothes. What I wonder is why they single out Mary. I won't name other princesses but they also wear clothes from Valentino, Gucci, Hermes, and etc. Also, I find the fashion show argument not to be relevant because Mary hasn't been to fashion show in awhile and the most recent one she went to was the one in Copenhagen which she is a patron of. She is only patron to two fashion-oriented organizations out of eighteen patronages so far but they just happen to get more attention than her mental health or heart disease organizations which really isn't Mary's fault but more of the press. And I don't think that Mary is the only princess who's gotten botoxed. Also, at Christian's christening, IMO it was Christian who stole the show.

Last edited:
Why does the word botox keep being used, where is Mary supposed to have had botox? She doesn't look any different to me than when I saw her for the first time. I'm interested to know. please.

crisscross1 said:
Why does the word botox keep being used, where is Mary supposed to have had botox? She doesn't look any different to me than when I saw her for the first time. I'm interested to know. please.

I don't know when the first time you saw Mary was, but from the first time I saw Mary, which is when she first started dating Frederik, she has certainly changed for me. I can't imagine that someone hasn't changed in three or four years, especially considering the very big life changes Mary has endured and how stressful many of those things were: Moving to a new country and leaving your family and friends behind, learning a very difficult and completely different language, adjusting to life in the public eye, getting married and adjusting to married life, being pregnant and having a baby, as well as travelling abroad.

If anything, since I first saw her, Mary's probably gotten a few more wrinkles and fine lines, especially since she's also lost some weight from her dating Frederik days, and when one loses weight, especially if it shows in the face, the fine lines and wrinkles become more evident.

Alexandria said:
I don't know when the first time you saw Mary was, but from the first time I saw Mary, which is when she first started dating Frederik, she has certainly changed for me. I can't imagine that someone hasn't changed in three or four years, especially considering the very big life changes Mary has endured and how stressful many of those things were: Moving to a new country and leaving your family and friends behind, learning a very difficult and completely different language, adjusting to life in the public eye, getting married and adjusting to married life, being pregnant and having a baby, as well as travelling abroad.

If anything, since I first saw her, Mary's probably gotten a few more wrinkles and fine lines, especially since she's also lost some weight from her dating Frederik days, and when one loses weight, especially if it shows in the face, the fine lines and wrinkles become more evident.

Being an Australian it was pretty difficult not to see Mary from the moment she started dating Fred, which is my point, her features haven't changed that much. The natural aging process have of course changed her, but I have never seen pictures where her lips or eyes or any other part of her face look that different apart from changes in lipstick, foundation, blusher, or eye shadow colours. I lost two stone when I had my first baby so changes in weight aren't unusual but as for her face. I just wondered why some of the posters keep using the word botox. I'm interested.

soCal girl said:
I can understand a little when people are upset when they think Mary spends too much money on clothes. What I wonder is why they single out Mary. I won't name other princesses but they also wear clothes from Valentino, Gucci, Hermes, and etc. Also, I find the fashion show argument not to be relevant because Mary hasn't been to fashion show in awhile and the most recent one she went to was the one in Copenhagen which she is a patron of. She is only patron to two fashion-oriented organizations out of eighteen patronages so far but they just happen to get more attention than her mental health or heart disease organizations which really isn't Mary's fault but more of the press. And I don't think that Mary is the only princess who's gotten botoxed. Also, at Christian's christening, IMO it was Christian who stole the show.

I agree with you on all points soCal girl! I don't understand either why is it more questionable for Mary to wear the clothes she does than the other CPss:confused: It's not like she doesn't recycle as we have seen in recent events.

Princess Maxima said:

Please tell me: Apart from the Copenhagen International Fashion Fair (which if I remember correctly have half-yearly shows) and the Designers nest - both of which Mary is a patron for - which other fashion shows have you seen Mary attend?
One of the said shows she attended was the childrens clothes' fair.

The botex thing has become an urban legend IMO and personally I don't believe it more than I believe that Maxima, Victoria or Mathilde has had it done.

What's wrong with wearing a summer outfit in January if you want to? Just because the weather is grey and dreary outside it doesn't mean that you cannot dress in brighter colours if you feel like it :confused:

I also had a totally diferent opinion about Princess Mary at the first time, but now I find her very comfortable in her new life..even her fashion style has had a big change...all the princesses spend lots of money in clothing, shoes, hats and women stuff...if Princess Mary does it..Maxima, Letizia or Mathilde do it as well :)

Adry said:
I also had a totally diferent opinion about Princess Mary at the first time, but now I find her very comfortable in her new life..even her fashion style has had a big change...all the princesses spend lots of money in clothing, shoes, hats and women stuff...if Princess Mary does it..Maxima, Letizia or Mathilde do it as well :)

Of course, you are so right. They all, as to be expected, spend lots of money on clothes. I know that some think they are not celebrities, but they are. Charles spent a fortune having Camilla overhauled, but that is to be expected. He wants her to appear attractive to others. That is what the public wants. There is no evidence that Mary has used botox and even if she has, that is her privilege. Who cares. She looks lovely when she appears in public, as she is expected to do. I think she is more frightened than haughty. You are just "Mary plain" and now you are "Princess Mary, with expectations of the public to be something special. I am sure she has be told to carry herself with dignity and she tries her best to do just that.

I enjoy her «put together» look. I appreciate the effort she puts in her looks. I wish another scandinavian crown princess also married to a wonderful prince would do the same.

"On Christian's christening day, she was wearing that summer outfit(it was winter:eek: ) just to call the attention IMO[/quote]l"

I wondered if she wore it to show off the beautiful brooch that she had been given after the birth of Christian. The sapphire and diamonds did go beautifully with her jacket.

lizzie said:
I wondered if she wore it to show off the beautiful brooch that she had been given after the birth of Christian. The sapphire and diamonds did go beautifully with her jacket.

I also think she looked beautiful and dressed very elegantly that day- so nice and refreshing to see someone dress colorful on such a drab day- you could see how proud she was of her beautiful son.:) It was a great day for her and the people of Denmark.

I don't mind this thread as I think it's good that we can all air our opinions on Fred and Mary in an open and relatively grown up manner (although Fred does get off rather lightly). However, recently, criticising Mary for her choice of outfit and how she bends down to sign a book seem a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm sure we've all made the odd inappropriate fashion choice or been caught in an awkward pose. The fact that a lot of people see these as pre meditated moves on Mary's part to garner more attention seem a little odd to me. :)

Lizy said:
I don't mind this thread as I think it's good that we can all air our opinions on Fred and Mary in an open and relatively grown up manner (although Fred does get off rather lightly). However, recently, criticising Mary for her choice of outfit and how she bends down to sign a book seem a bit harsh in my opinion. I'm sure we've all made the odd inappropriate fashion choice or been caught in an awkward pose. The fact that a lot of people see these as pre meditated moves on Mary's part to garner more attention seem a little odd to me. :)

She is in the public eye...we are not. Also, this forum is about things you like and/or dislike about the couple--I think she looks fake (not that she is), but she certainly looks it. She seems arrogant, again, seems...I'm not sure if she is...no one knows. It is just an opinion...

People can always judge someone in the public eye by what they see and read, I for one dont really believe what papers especially 'magazines' writte about celebrities and in this case Royals, she appears warm (again) i dont know what shes like personally.

All Princess around Europe spend a lot of money on their clothes, and that goes to Princess Mary, shes no diffrent from the rest, all Royals are about glittzy and glamour thats why we look forward to see what they wear in occasions, weddings etc

Last edited:
Roxsteve said:
She is in the public eye...we are not. Also, this forum is about things you like and/or dislike about the couple--I think she looks fake (not that she is), but she certainly looks it. She seems arrogant, again, seems...I'm not sure if she is...no one knows. It is just an opinion...
I totally agree, Mary is a public figure and we are not, so she has to be aware of what she is doing but people seem to read too much into the most insignificant action - a tilt of the head, the wave of a hand. Again this is just my opinion.

Lizy said:
Sorry, I don't know much about her. Was she known prior to being Mary's bridesmaid or is her career based solely on being a friend of a princess?

No she was not known prior to being Mary's bridesmaid, and since May 2004 has used her friendship with Mary to enter into the celebrity world in Australia, or at least the B or C list of our celebs

JessRulz said:
No she was not known prior to being Mary's bridesmaid, and since May 2004 has used her friendship with Mary to enter into the celebrity world in Australia, or at least the B or C list of our celebs

Thanks v much for the info. So she is a 'celebrity' in the losest sense of the word. I think I would feel a bit off if a friend was using my position to further their own career.

pollyemma said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/stay-in-touch/danish-pasting-upsets-royal-bridesmaid/2006/07/09/1152383610705.html

amber petty strikes again. it's really sad the way she turned being a bridesmaid into a career.
Couldn't agree more. Frankly, what does it say of a person to have a friend like this, someone who puts her foot in her mouth and flirts with the press at virtually every opportunity, milking the friendship to death publicly?! Yuk! Compare that to the very discreet friends of, say, Maxima. No comparison if you ask me, those people have been utterly discreet and supportive of Maxima, and that's what a friend should do, not mint the relationship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom