What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
originally posted by MargretheII
Well, I dont believe HRH would have enough time to get them over for a BBQ ;) j/k

And now she doesn't do enough with the patronages outside of her official diary..oh dear, she can never win can she :confused:

Well said. I think she is doing a fine job, but it never seems to be good enough for people. I guess that's comes with being a CP

With her new baby and her official schedule, it doesn't seem like she has time to take a breath, let alone add anything else to her diary.

Jaques Demolay said:
Idriel

They do seem glamourous don't they. I think your appraisal on Mary is correct from my perspective. She cannot be a dope or she would have been a liability to the DRF, so she not only looks intelligent she is.

I have heard some very shallow remarks about her chin. Thats what superficial people talk like.:( Mary is a sweetheart, not perfect of course but who is??

There is more reason than the loyal Danes, I agree. The magazines which cover Fred and Mary are from all over the globe. :)

Cheers Jaques D.

I agree with the comments in this post about "shallow" remarks. In the real world when you hear women and men say nasty things about others, it's usually out of jealousy.

People love to find fault in others don't they!!!

Prince Frederick obviously found things in Mary he found far more riviting and interesting to take notice of than her chin!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!

I really don't think Mary is so busy she 'doesn't have time to take a breath' Windsor. the ammount of work she does has never been impressive, and she has plenty of time to go out on shoping trips, even going all the way to London just to shop at the time of Queen Margrethe being in hospital- shouldn't she have been doing more work at that time? She isn't a hardworking Princess. All you have to do to see that is to look at her official timetable.
Yes, obviously Fred chose her, but does being a future King automatically make him such a wonderful person himself, or even a good judge of charecter? wether Fred likes, loves or despises someone really doesn't tell us anything about them at all.

Must the court start making up engagements just to satisfy an Australian's idea of what their, Denmark's, Crown Princess should be doing, I dont think so. If there was any need for Mary to have undertaken official engagements in the name of the Queen, I am sure she would have so lets no speculate shall we.

I often look at the Crown Princess' timetable and there's nothing there that suggests that Mary isnt a hard working & dedicated member of the Danish Royal Family.

"MII"

Last edited:
I see Mary as a hardworking princess, they didn't call her 'princess on the run' for no reason did they.

Aussie Princess said:
I really don't think Mary is so busy she 'doesn't have time to take a breath' Windsor. the ammount of work she does has never been impressive, and she has plenty of time to go out on shoping trips, even going all the way to London just to shop at the time of Queen Margrethe being in hospital- shouldn't she have been doing more work at that time?

I think you should set your facts right. Mary was in London with Caroline Heering on 25 May 2006. The magazine Kig Ind nr.22 mentioned that Prince Christian went along too accompanied by his nanny and a body guard. According to the DRF website, Prince Joachim was acting Regent that same day. I think CP Frederik may be there too even though no pictures of him were shown.
Queen Margrethe was on the official state visit to Greece on 24 - 26 May 2006. HRH the queen was operated on 1 st June. 2006.

Last edited:
Australian said:
I see Mary as a hardworking princess, they didn't call her 'princess on the run' for no reason did they.

The press makes up a lot of catchy names and phrases for everyone, that doesn't make them all true or valid. Mary was also called the Danish/Scandinavian Imedla Marcos a few weeks ago but that doesn't make that title true either.

I think that we can all come to an agreement and say that...(maybe...)...Frederick and Mary are sorry for any wrong doing.
They are both very dedicated to Denmark (look at CP Frederick work; engagements that he did growing up and prior to meeting Mary. He finished a degree in Political Science; was involved with a lot of charity work; was very involved in the Army (became a Navy seal, I'm not quite sure if other CP of Denmark actually have made it thrugh the Navy and became one but it is really remarkable that he would go through all the hard work to (prove, show) his love for his country.
Mary...a very hard working, nice, smart woman; no guesses that Christian will grow up to be a very strong, fun-loving, hard-working, smart man some day. I read somewhere that Mary was very good at all of her subjects in school [i know that has no relevence to what i am saying but] it is evident by her dedication to learn the language and to participate in engagements with a very positive attitude [babies cry a lot, it would be quite hard to be all smiles if you don't get any sleep] that she loves Denamrk, as well.
i know that sometimes when you had a rough day you just want to go window shopping and you up spending money on matrialistic things, a part of you feels really guilty and a part of you is really happy. Iii'm sure mary is sorry. She wouldnt be that recless and do somethig that would jepordise the future of the Glucksborg [i know it's full name is schle..wig holestein...---Glucksbourg, i can't spell it]Danish Monarchy.
To conclude [ wow it's sounding like a science report :)]. Denmark should be proud that they have a CP that has (by his choice, put himself) through the hard yards of {childhood neglect, maybe not his choice} [maybe, thats a wrong word to use there:confused:]; a harvard education; militray life; a CP with a sense of humour.
Plus he is a very funny/cool uncle...
POLFOTO

NEWSCOM

i hope my opinion makes sense...i hope the posting these four photo's are alright in this thread, it proves my point, in a way;)

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
The press makes up a lot of catchy names and phrases for everyone, that doesn't make them all true or valid. Mary was also called the Danish/Scandinavian Imedla Marcos a few weeks ago but that doesn't make that title true either.

Alexandria, that is very true. In this case, there was reason to call her that nickname, it was undeniable that she was doing alot of work hence the reason for the nickname. In this case, the title was valid because her hard work was plain to see.

Last edited:
Australian said:
Alexandria, that is very true. In this case, there was reason to call her that nickname, it was undeniable that she was doing alot of work hence the reason for the nickname. In this case, the title was valid because her hard work was plain to see.

Even though I'm a fan of Mary's, your statement "the title was valid because her hard work was plain to see" is purely subjective. I might think she does a decent amount of work but another person might not. I think in the past year Mary has coped with everything extremely well. I would guess that being married, pregnant, and a Crown Princess in the public eye would be extremely stressful and tiring. Yet, at her duties she seemed charming and happy.

soCal girl. Yes you are right abut that,i should have added "IMO"

when i referred to the title "princess on the run" i was talking about the period when she was in the last stages of pregnancy.

Last edited:
Australian said:
soCal girl. Yes you are right abut that,i should have added "IMO"

when i referred to the title "princess on the run" i was talking about the period when she was in the last stages of pregnancy.

Yes, Mary was quite busy during her last trimester. I was actually shocked because I knew a lot of women who had to go on bed rest near the end and then I saw pictures of Mary at events until the very end. She must have had a very good pregnancy! :)

I don't think its necessarily a bad thing that Mary hasn't taken up a cause and made it her own. A lot of causes get heavily politicized these days; even fashion, because invariably someone is going to complain about sweatshops overseas.

Its good and well for a representative of a constitutional monarchy to raise an awareness of a problem like mental health by attending functions and seminars but a bit problematic to make the cause your own to the point where you get definite ideas on what should be done which is unavoidable when one becomes passionate about a cause.

In some ways, a superficial interest in causes is less problematic for her role as crown princess.

Fred and Mary

My opinion about Fred and Mary is that I don't have a strong connection about the Danish crown couple unlike other crown couples. I don't know but I have a feeling that I just don't like them.. This is purely an opinion. ;) I hope everyone respects that especially Mary fans. I have been reading this thread and I came up with a conclusion: this thread is all about your opinion of Mary and Fred so whether we like the couple or not let's respect their ideas. I for one is not a fan of Mary but I happen to browse this thread and when I saw this thread well there you go, this is my answer to the thread's question I don't have a connection with this couple and I think that's not important bec I for one is not an Australian nor a Dane so my post is purely an expression for this thread. :D :D :D

Margrethe II said:
Must the court start making up engagements just to satisfy an Australian's idea of what their, Denmark's, Crown Princess should be doing, I dont think so. If there was any need for Mary to have undertaken official engagements in the name of the Queen, I am sure she would have so lets no speculate shall we.

I often look at the Crown Princess' timetable and there's nothing there that suggests that Mary isnt a hard working & dedicated member of the Danish Royal Family.

"MII"
I don't see why you are so determined of the fact that my opinion as an Australian means nothing, but yours does, since it is posotive? No, I never said The court should have to make up engagements- the couple should be doing enough work that they don't have to make events up!
And the fact is, it is VERY important what other countries think of someones Crown Prince couple- their JOB is to represent their country overseas and build positive relationships. No monarchy would be arrogant enough to think as long as my country is satisfied, I've done my job- because they haven't- it't not even half over. If what Australians think of these 2 is so unimportant, why did they see fit to send them here for about 3 weeks of official duties before even a year of marriage? You do not have to be Danish to know what is going on with their royal family as you continue to insist, except in your case of course. as I've said, I'm sure there are many people here, from all over the world who know what goes on with royals all over the world- some people in Denmark you ask wouldn't have a clue.

Last edited:
Harmony said:
I think you should set your facts right. Mary was in London with Caroline Heering on 25 May 2006. The magazine Kig Ind nr.22 mentioned that Prince Christian went along too accompanied by his nanny and a body guard. According to the DRF website, Prince Joachim was acting Regent that same day. I think CP Frederik may be there too even though no pictures of him were shown.
Queen Margrethe was on the official state visit to Greece on 24 - 26 May 2006. HRH the queen was operated on 1 st June. 2006.
Fine, so maybe I did get the dates wrong. But how does that make their work ethic look impressive? as far as I see, Mary went shopping, again, wasting more tax payer money, again, when they should have been acting as regent during the visit to Greece, and then after, during the Queens surgery, which they are payed million of kroner a year to do. And Fred vanished on yet another 'pleasure cruise'? Impressive. If he was there, and not seen, why would they need a nanny there? either Fred was required to be in London, looking after his son while his wife shopped, or he wasn't. And if he wasn't, he should have been in Denmark and earning his keep for once.

Aussie Princess said:
I don't see why you are so determined of the fact that my opinion as an Australian means nothing, but yours does, since it is posotive? The court shouldn't have to make up engagement- the couple should be doing enough work that they don't have to make events up!
And the fact is, it is VERY important what other countries think of someones Crown Prince couple- their JOB is to represent their country overseas and build positive relationships. No monarchy would be arrogant enough to think as long as my country is satisfied, I've done my job- because they haven't- it't not even half over. If what Australians think of these 2 is so unimportant, why did they see fit to send them here for about 3 weeks of official duties before even a year of marriage? You do not have to be Danish to know what is going on with their royal family. as I've said, I'm sure there are many people here, from all over the world who know what goes on with royals all over the world- some people in Denmark you ask wouldn't have a clue.

Negativity is such a wretched thing...makes you age faster.

.lol. Oh dear, misinterpret what ever you like if it makes you feel any better.

My opinion holds for nothing except for what I believe the same as yours does you and as I have made Known (obviously not read by some) that if it is a personal opinion then I have no issue with, I just noticed your comment to be rather perculiar in its wording so I made a point of commenting on it. It wasn't an attack on your post it was my observation of what I had read.

The court shouldn't have to make up engagement- the couple should be doing enough work that they don't have to make events up!

Exactly! And what suggests they are'nt? Mary going shopping in London? Big Whoop! It would seem the Danish populous have moved on so why should it be so trying for a foreigner over the other side of the world to do the same. I think it safe to assume that its not your money HRH is spending so why bother becoming so opinionated over the given personal allowance that is entirely approved & provided by the Danish State? Would you like people telling you how to spend your money (now awaiting a reply to say how it isn't her money ect etc etc).

And now you seem to have brought up how other countries have a right to perceive foreign royals...Yes, to a certain degree they most certainly do, but, if a community in the Republic of Angola doesn't hold The Crown Princely couple in high regard I hardly think much sleep shall be lost.

And, I hardly think Denmark has to worry about Australia's opinion of their Crown Princess and our ex pat. I am sure that they (The Danes) dont expect, nor would Mary, that every Australian would like her.lol. I dont believe they would expect that of any nationality and nor would it be something they would sought out to do.

Someone seems to have set out to make continuous negative remarks and if that's your agenda, fine (now that too is an abservation of your sentiments as your tone has been constantly negative) so please, continue with your posts as I find them most amusing...epecially on this, a rather dull Queen's Birthday public holiday.

Cheers

"MII"

Last edited:
I think to a certain point it can be important how foreign countries think about other royals. They have an official role, that implies an specific situation and they should follow some protocol to achieve them. As far as that is done properly, i dont see what else can they demand. A royal cant be seen as an star with fans and paparazzis around them. It shouldnt bother british if Mary go shopping there or not. It shouldnt bother other countries, how many events they go, how many patronages they do, how much money do they spend or what kind of clothes they use, which is mostly what is being discussed here. For me it is pretty normal that most of the people who doesnt like Mary are Australians, nobody is a profet in their own land.

Last edited:
Great pics, flctylu :)
I love the second one, sooo tender. Great to see how close they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am all for the exchange of free speech...I think at 52 pages...we have expressed it enough :)

There have been some valid points from the pro Fred/Mary and not so pro Fred/Mary. And there have also been some statements made that were just well not so valid. Again, its all you how view things. Either you like them or you don't.

Australian said:

I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.

Alexandria said:
I am not challenging this, but as others mentioned last week that criticisms of Mary need to be supported with facts and that in the opinon of some, most criticisms of Mary were not backed up with credible information, I am wondering if you might be able to support this opinon of yours that Mary is "undeniably doing a lot of work, hence the reasonf or her nickname."

I think it would serve as a good example for both sides of the debate of citing an opinon but also providing credible support of it, too.

Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.

I'm not saying i think she is an extraordinary hard worker, i dont think she is, i think she is an average hard worker.

Last edited:
Work work work, it is pretty difficult to define nowdays who is hard worker or not, as the term can be relative from one country to another. It comes to my mind some comments made by madonna about how hard the americans work and the british dont. Another comment made by lindsay lohan where she said she is the harder worker person she knows, more than some of her parent's friends!! it is even funny to read that.
The thing is that Royals calendar are prepared according to many reasons, there are royals that has 3 or more events a week and other 3 or more events a month. That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office. I know it soudns hypotetical, but im trying here not to make names, as we should not compare them. There is always a reason of why people gives an image or the other and that is valid for those who have the full agenda and those who dont, it is something like casting votes. There are countries that have very serious expectations about their royals or the monarchy will get in serious problem, in other cases, there are countries were royals need to keep a low key functions as people dont want them to be everywhere, just in the most needed cases.

Australian said:
....im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure..
You can see the joint schedule for the cp couple for August and September 2005 here http://www.kronprinsparret.dk/2000f/Year/2005/Month/8 (sorry, only found it in Danish).
I agree with you Australian - Mary seemed to be everywhere in her last trimester up untill she was ordered to rest.

Ariel said:
....That does not mean necessarilly that those with more public events work harder, we dont know the amount of work, a royal may have back office.
So true Ariel - I completely agree. Although there wouldn't be much fun for us royal watchers if they didn't appear from time to time the truth is that the number of appearances does not in essential tell the truth about their workloads - to believe that is just too naive.

Australian said:
Well I was talking about the period during her pregnancy,(when the nickname was given to her), im sure there is a calendar of events somewhere, but that has been posted numerous times im sure. Feel free to delete my post if you feel that it isn't a good example. as i agree with you.

I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.

Alexandria said:
I know that another member has posted a link with Mary's schedule during her last trimester, and that is appreciated, but in fairness to the members who have expressed criticism of Mary and who may feel that they have been "beaten up" for having such feelings, I think it doesn't matter if the information has been posted numerous times already. If one side is going to request credible information, facts, statistics, etc. to support critical views of Mary, then the other side who supports Mary should be expected to do the same.

Consider how many times the VOGUE interview has been brought up, yet people still do bring that up as a bone of contention.

Conversly if one side is able to express their personal (positive) feelings without any justification, then so should the other side be able to express their personal (negative) opinons without any justification. The onus should be on both sides to provide justification, not just one side; that's what makes it a fair discussion and levels the discussion field.

I have always maintained evidence to support my views, which even includes a personal experiecne having met the Crown Princely couple & shall continue to do so in future discussions.

But, you make a very valid point!

"MII"

Last edited:
Alexandria, i did say that i agree with you. But I didn't post it also because i was adhering to the rule that we cannot keep posting their schedules over and over again and instead to refer to the thread 'Danish Royal Calendar'.(That is a rule right?) But point taken.

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Negativity is such a wretched thing...
Certainly not putting an unrealistic positive spin on things though, but the plain and simple truth isn't always such.
If you don't have a problem with it, fine but I personally feel that when the Queen is on a foreign trip which she has to cut short to go into hospital,and for something which will require some time for full recovery, Fred should do his job and act as regent, and Mary should do her job as his consort, not be shopping. why an overseas trip for that anyway? there are plenty of shops in copenhagen. I don't care if it's my money she spends or not, but you cannot say that it has been approved by the Danish people. They are not personally asked if they mind their tax dollars that they work so hard for go toward another Prada outfit- that money is allocated by the powers that be, wether the people like it or not. why do you think the criticisms came out about? because people DID have a problem with it, as well they should.
Maybe much sleep wont be lost on what other countries think of them, but I feel as it is their job to REPRESENT Denmark overseas and build relationships with other nations, it is very important how they are perceived in other countries. If they don't work hard to build a posotive image and relationship for Denmark, then they aren't doing their job. And you'll be happy, no mention of 'not her money' nor did I ever mention that they should think all Australians or any other nationality would like them, so where that came from I really don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom